Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BonoMan posted:

So, Vizio's internal media players don't loop video because why the gently caress would they.

We have a Vizio as our lobby display TV - is there a way to get a no-external-power-needed-media-player-stick that can do 1080 with options like loop?

Worse comes to worse, we can stream via Plex or whatever, but I would just prefer to keep it all self contained.

edit: Jesus poo poo even Plex can't loop a goddamn video.

Why is such a basic functionality missing from so many media players?

I agree that it's dumb to have to do this, but could you just create a new video that consists of eight hours of footage? Or a playlist of videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mediaphage posted:

I agree that it's dumb to have to do this, but could you just create a new video that consists of eight hours of footage? Or a playlist of videos?

The 8 hours thing would not be ideal for file size limits. A playlist would be fine if I could figure out a way to loop the playlist.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

BonoMan posted:

The 8 hours thing would not be ideal for file size limits. A playlist would be fine if I could figure out a way to loop the playlist.

I googled Roku video loop and it appears that there's a way you can do it on the Roku devices.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/2z6u7a/loop_groups_of_video_files_on_usb_drive/

Alternately, you could buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah I looked at the Micca and that was the front runner due to size - but utlimately I was *hoping* for something smaller and with no external power required.

edit: or USB powered would work

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I looked at the Micca and that was the front runner due to size - but utlimately I was *hoping* for something smaller and with no external power required.

edit: or USB powered would work

Comedy option: cast to a Google cast receiver from a device.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 65" curved OLED is 2999 on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RVAG7MW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=tbpre-20

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mediaphage posted:

Comedy option: cast to a Google cast receiver from a device.

This might actually end up being the solution. I was just looking for the simplest plug and play option for our receptionist and it's just annoying that it's so absent from most stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Soooooo loving temping, but I gotta hold out for HDR.

Bodes well though that I'll be able to snag one oh the 2016 models within a year for that price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I got the EF version for the same price from Adorama that was linked in this thread, which was a far better deal as it fixes a bunch of things over the curved screen (HDR over HDMI being one of them).

It's been delivered to a friends house, so I've seen the box in a tantalising photo but God knows when I'll get chance to actually see it in the flesh. So painful!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I got the EF version for the same price from Adorama that was linked in this thread, which was a far better deal as it fixes a bunch of things over the curved screen (HDR over HDMI being one of them).

It's been delivered to a friends house, so I've seen the box in a tantalising photo but God knows when I'll get chance to actually see it in the flesh. So painful!

Actually I think there was a mid cycle refresh that fixes the HDR over HDMI issue with the EG sets.

Now, do these sets GUARANTEE that they're from that refresh? No...

I think I might go for the picture on glass look of the E series. I kinda really like it, even if making my soundbar not look dumb is really difficult.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The HDMI ports don't support 2.0a which locks it out from most HDR sources forever, I thought? I know it was a sticking point for quite a few people.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, but I believe there was a mid cycle refresh. From AVS:

The European model wasn't HDMI2.0a at the beginning (model EG960V-ZA), but the new models EG960V-ZD, manufactured since Nov 2015 are HDMI2.0a.

This translates to the EG9600-UB being the mid cycle refresh to include HDMI2.0a and EG9600-UA being the one that isn't 2.0a

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/1929089-official-owners-thread-2015-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-127.html is where it starts to get interesting?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh that's crazy. Must be an absolute pain in the butt for owners and potential owners to be able to get accurate information on what does and doesn't work. You'd think they'd at least bump the model number up by 50 or 100 to make it easier.

Similarly, I notice that the EG is listed as being compatible for DirecTVs 4K service without needing extra hardware but the EF isn't. And sometimes you can't get the needed software from the AppStore anyway and it comes down to main board revisions nobody is going to know about. I mean, really? Then you have Netflix not providing HDR to the inbuilt apps, and you have to wonder how this poo poo goes on with TVs that cost so much in 2016. Is *anyone* competent?

(I think that UB and UA refer to the mainboards and only UA does it for some reason nobody seems to know).

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I got to visit Dolby HQ last week.

1) HDR is so drat cool. The TVs are bright enough that explosions can produce an involuntary eye response like being in a good cinema. It's nuts.

2) They do a demo of the Vizio 65" reference series next to a P series set. The P series is a good TV, so it's sorta depressing how much better the reference series was in a dark room. Much, much better local dimming.

Kinda cool to see where the tech is headed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No oled now that they're Dolby vision certified? Weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If they really wanted to 'wow' with how bright HDR can get the picture, I can understand. OLED, no matter how perfect the blacks are, can't get anywhere near as bright as a high end LED backlit TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

True. Just a shame that the same presentation had a person walk away disappointed with local dimming

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

If they really wanted to 'wow' with how bright HDR can get the picture, I can understand. OLED, no matter how perfect the blacks are, can't get anywhere near as bright as a high end LED backlit TV.

Yet I've read reports of people saying even at the 400 nits output (compared to the 1,000 that's 'recommended' for HDR) that the highlights on an OLED on playback can be blinding at times.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The R series is advertised at 800 nits. The blacks are phenomenal, as they should be: 384 dimming zones vs. <100 for the 2015 P series next to it.

Would be cool to see the new OLEDs side by side with it. The really top end LCDs actually lose to the OLEDs on price, which I struggle to understand without that side by side comparison. I'd still definitely be looking at the OLED models.

I don't think you can actually buy the R-Series anyways.

KS fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 13, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some avs nerds got the r-series, lots of complaints because it's avs, but looks like more than the 2016 oled thread.

Both sets are in the VE shootout so you will be able to see the results as tested by a bunch of greybeards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Microsoft just undercut the gently caress out of the 1st gen standalone Blu-ray players.

Xbox One S will have 4k Blu-ray support for $299 this August.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bull3964 posted:

Microsoft just undercut the gently caress out of the 1st gen standalone Blu-ray players.

Does it have IR?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LmaoTheKid posted:

Does it have IR?

There's (what looked like) an IR blaster or IR prot or something on the new xbox one s.

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!

bull3964 posted:

Are you sure? I'm understanding the press release that it supports HDR and 4K streaming not physical discs. I would really like to be wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Does it continue to have an interface that's slow, cluttered, and ugly? If so, no thanks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i like the new interface and the elite console sped up the interface dramatically for me.

and I think the player is a UHD player that takes physical discs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pallando posted:

Are you sure? I'm understanding the press release that it supports HDR and 4K streaming not physical discs. I would really like to be wrong.

All of the tech blogs covering the announcement specifically mention UHD Blu-ray support.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

I said whoever announced a UHD bluray player at E3 will get my money. Sony have delayed their announcement of the PS4.5 and the rumour was $400 for that so hey... Xbox S time for me.

I've always preferred the controllers anyway, but the big score is as you said - $100 cheaper than a standalone player plus the bonus of having a current gen console which I don't at the moment. Even if I just buy a few games and play some demos I'll be happy enough.

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!

bull3964 posted:

All of the tech blogs covering the announcement specifically mention UHD Blu-ray support.

Yep, read it too. Seems to be a translation problem on some german sites.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also really shows just how high a margin those devices are.

Xbone is too late in its development cycle to be a loss leader. So, while it might have a price close to cost, it has a hell of a lot more hardware it in than one of the standalone players.

Like I said when they were announced, this is completely different than any other new format launched. Silicon anyways lagged on every other new format. In this case though, we had SoC solutions two years in advance of the format.

They could probably do a $100 UHD player right now and still have a normal margin on it. They were just hoping to milk this longer.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have $500 to spend on a new tv and wall mount. It's mostly going to be used for watching movies/tv and some occasional gaming. I want it somewhere around 50". Please tell me what to buy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Check Craigslist. Other than that get a Vizio.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

bull3964 posted:

They could probably do a $100 UHD player right now and still have a normal margin on it. They were just hoping to milk this longer.

They? If it was so easy Sony would be selling one and Samsung and Sony would be racing each other down. Instead, at least here in the US, it's just Samsung, and the first company always gets to determine the price.

I'm not convinced it's that simple, and I'm kind of amazed by the Xbox S announcement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BottleKnight posted:

They? If it was so easy Sony would be selling one and Samsung and Sony would be racing each other down. Instead, at least here in the US, it's just Samsung, and the first company always gets to determine the price.

I'm not convinced it's that simple, and I'm kind of amazed by the Xbox S announcement.

It's a matter of scale. I doubt the BOM is much higher for a UHD blu-ray player. SoCs that can do 4k decoding and HEVC are dirt cheap now. The drive is likely marginally more expensive, but I doubt it is much.

In Sony's case, it's more about market placement. They could replace their top end player with the UHD one, but then they forfeit the ability to create an even higher top end later. If they decide to field a new top end now, they know the volume isn't going to be there so it isn't going to make them much money even with high margins. So, it makes sense for them to hold off because it wouldn't gain then much in the market.

I think what Microsoft has done here is basically say "This is the new standard feature set for physical media.". They gutted the CE manufacturers hoping to tier the players for a year or two. It's going to push the tech down market very quickly and a non-uhd blu-ray player will soon end up like the random DVD player still inexplicably on store shelves.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From what I can tell, only the 2TB version is going to be available at launch and that's $399. So it's priced competitively with a UHD player but naturally offers a ton of stuff they can't do.

The 500gb/1tb versions are 299/349 on Amazon with a Dec 30 launch date but not convinced those are final. I hope there's a launch pack with a game, film, and maybe an extra pad for the August one with a bit of a discount.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I want to get a sound bar, what's a good one or ones I should consider?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've been quite happy with the Vizio branded ones. Have 2x of the 2.1 bars with the wireless subwoofer.

Its not home theater grade or anything, but it blows integrated TV speakers out of the water.

If you already have a Vizio TV, a bonus is that it uses the same remote signal as the TV. So it turns on/off and changes volume using your existing TV remote.

I have mine connected to the TV via the optical audio output, for which they include a cable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like my Sonos but only with the sub and only if you can find a used one off of craigslist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone use a USB dongle for the DTV-B stuff? I bought a RTL2832U-based one for other purposes a while ago but I'm now using it for TV with the included BlazeHDTV software. It works fine but looks ugly - there's a lot of edge aliasing, compression artifacts and blurriness. Luckily in this case the channel has a 720p stream as well which allows me to compare and watch it instead.

So the question really is, is that normal for over the air HDTV, or is it an issue with the hardware, software, or settings? Examples below.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone use a USB dongle for the DTV-B stuff? I bought a RTL2832U-based one for other purposes a while ago but I'm now using it for TV with the included BlazeHDTV software. It works fine but looks ugly - there's a lot of edge aliasing, compression artifacts and blurriness. Luckily in this case the channel has a 720p stream as well which allows me to compare and watch it instead.

So the question really is, is that normal for over the air HDTV, or is it an issue with the hardware, software, or settings? Examples below.

Maybe it's decoding the 1080i signal to something bloaty that's usb2.0 bound in some way? A perfunctory search led me to believe those chipsets are only on usb2.0 devices....

Also you're likely to get better answers in the htpc thread, unless I'm super confused and this is some tv hardware add on thing.