Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have an iPhone question that may sound a little nutty:

Are there any known viruses that can get into your iPhone without jail breaking or physical access to a phone, such as by accessing a rogue web site in Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nope, unless there is some 0-day root hole in iOS that can be exploited via userspace (and that hasn't happened in years since back when jailbreakme dot com was a thing).

What are you seeing?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

kitten smoothie posted:

What are you seeing?

A psychiatrist.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

e.pilot posted:

It makes it a little bit easier to manage the music that's downloaded on the phone vs. streaming. At least it does for me.

Yeah this and the Spotify thing. It's way easier to single out a album I wnat to listen to and not have to remember the artist (I know...) and the name of the album and then scroll to it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rick posted:

I think it's partly it being E3 time as well but I'm still managing to be excited about WWDC even though at this point any iOS change has to be be minor. If the rumored ability to unlock my mac with my phone comes though, I look forward to seeing how far away from my mac I can unlock the computer. I have a problem.

I hope they lift the greatest update to windows 10: Windows hello, Microsoft's biometrics standard. Opening my surface book using the camera (which is a camera PLUS IR sensor, so no picture defeating like there is on the android) and getting to the desktop is a breeze.

e: even though this isn't the OSX thread, still pretty great tech if you're asking about easy unlocking.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
We already have touch ID on iOS though, so I'm not sure what value that provides.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe the logic is that law enforcement can steal your fingerprint and unlock the phone (or maybe just compel you to press the button), but they can't compel you to speak a phrase to a computer. Assuming that's what Win10 does, hopefully it's not as simple as taking a picture of your face.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

incoherent posted:

I hope they lift the greatest update to windows 10: Windows hello, Microsoft's biometrics standard. Opening my surface book using the camera (which is a camera PLUS IR sensor, so no picture defeating like there is on the android) and getting to the desktop is a breeze.

e: even though this isn't the OSX thread, still pretty great tech if you're asking about easy unlocking.

This sounds cool, but I am an edge case that actually doesn't want to physically touch the computer. I have an hdmi cable going from my MacBook Pro to a monitor in the living room. I use synergy to share the keyboard and mouse, which works fine until it locks. Usually I can get mouse and keyboard control and input password, but sometimes not.

This is a relatively minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are there any ways to diagnose wake lock in iOS? I had something nasty going on, after doing all the common stuff (soft/hard resets, checking location services and background app refresh, no apps obviously eating up background time, no iCloud tomfoolery.) Usage time was way up there with standby time. I just ended up restoring fresh and that obviously fixed it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

enojy posted:

Are there any ways to diagnose wake lock in iOS? I had something nasty going on, after doing all the common stuff (soft/hard resets, checking location services and background app refresh, no apps obviously eating up background time, no iCloud tomfoolery.) Usage time was way up there with standby time. I just ended up restoring fresh and that obviously fixed it.

Not really because that concept really doesn't apply to iOS, no app can actually prevent the phone from going to sleep; the best they can do is request one of several standard background tasks like "keep playing this audio file." The best you could do is see if you can remember what apps were at the top of the usage list. I don't know if you touched the clock but it'll show time spent active in the foreground and background.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

xzzy posted:

I believe the logic is that law enforcement can steal your fingerprint and unlock the phone (or maybe just compel you to press the button), but they can't compel you to speak a phrase to a computer. Assuming that's what Win10 does, hopefully it's not as simple as taking a picture of your face.

But that's not how Windows Hello works is it? AFAIK it only goes off the camera recognition, so it's not any more secure from LEO if they just point the camera at you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I also don't know that law enforcement can "steal" your fingerprint, just that they can compel you to put your finger on a pad the same way they take your prints anyway.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah a judge ruled that since a passcode is an idea in your brain basically it's protected by the fifth amendment, but a fingerprint is your body so they can compel you to unlock a phone using TouchID. The advice now is if you're about to be arrested and you don't want your phone searched, reboot it so TouchID won't work.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The best idea is to make TouchID only identify your ring finger knuckle on your right hand. No one will suspect it and they'll flip out when TouchID doesn't work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Or just don't use Touch ID for unlocking your phone. Your dickpics are safe behind like a 20 minute passcode lock and lots of apps have Touch ID integration now and that's super sweet. Don't worry about it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As a person who is neither arrested often nor stores incriminating evidence of crimes on my phone, I have to say TouchID is pretty sweet.
Just turn it off before you go to the anime convention so you can't be convicted for your upskirt photos.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

xzzy posted:

Maybe, but that doesn't stop Robert Redford from splicing your voice together and getting into your Live account through your desktop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn that Robert Redford, crafty old coot.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My VOICE is my...passport? Verify...me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is WWDC typically a new hardware or new software announcement or both?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They start to tease about the next iOS but WWDC usually seems focused on their laptops and OSX.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

They start to tease about the next iOS but WWDC usually seems focused on their laptops and OSX.

Don't they preview and release a beta for the next point release at every WWDC? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WWDC the last few years has been mostly software announcements possibly with beta releases and maybe new Macs. They've been leaving other device announcements for their own events lately.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

Or just don't use Touch ID for unlocking your phone. Your dickpics are safe behind like a 20 minute passcode lock and lots of apps have Touch ID integration now and that's super sweet. Don't worry about it.

Unfortunately you can't use TouchID for App Store/etc. without also having it on the lock screen.

VVVV Sorry, I must have been thinking of iCloud Keychain.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Unfortunately you can't use TouchID for App Store/etc. without also having it on the lock screen.

What?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does the iPhone 6 Plus work with iPhone 6s Plus cases? I looked at a Mophie case and that poo poo was sooooo tight. I was wondering if the Saddle Brown case would work for my iPhone 6 Plus.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

obi_ant posted:

Does the iPhone 6 Plus work with iPhone 6s Plus cases? I looked at a Mophie case and that poo poo was sooooo tight. I was wondering if the Saddle Brown case would work for my iPhone 6 Plus.

Yes, it will fit nice and snug, but there is quite a lip around the screen that may take some getting used to if you use side gestures a lot.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It feels like poo poo. Avoid. I bought a 6 Plus leather case for my 6S Plus and it was just horrible. The measurements are only slightly different but it's enough to gently caress it up.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is WWDC typically a new hardware or new software announcement or both?

Mostly about software. It is the developers conference, after all. There may be hardware there but software has always been the focus. New iOS and new OS X.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There will probably be a new Macbook Pro, and there's talk of a standalone Siri device like the Amazon Echo and Google Home, but I'd be surprised if they do more than just announce it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Air is due for a refresh or a firing line as well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

The Air is due for a refresh or a firing line as well.

I doubt we'll see either. The Air will get minor spec bumps until they can sell the MacBook for $1000 or less, at which point the Air will be retired.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think the Air is going to flounder in the line forever like the non-retina 13" MBP.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

It feels like poo poo. Avoid. I bought a 6 Plus leather case for my 6S Plus and it was just horrible. The measurements are only slightly different but it's enough to gently caress it up.

I'm doing a 6S+ case for a 6+, feels great. Would recommend.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Here we go, event kicking off

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a separate WWDC thread?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a separate WWDC thread?

If not ..

Tim Cook has already said magical.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Watch os up on deck first

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is there any reason Airdrop would suddenly stop working on a 5s?

I can see it from my iMac with it set to Everyone but not Contacts Only. I've done a hard reboot on the phone, imac and router, no change. It also shows the empty placeholder user icon instead of my normal user icon.

Was there an update over the weekend or something? All my apple stuff is misbehaving slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a similar problem, the only person I have ever tried to airdrop is my girlfriend. I can't airdrop to her phone, but she can to me. I even set it to Everyone instead of Contacts, still nothing.