Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Public Serpent posted:

My kid (16 months) sleeps in jammies like these:

They're nice and cool in the hot weather and the diaper stays on. Now if only I could find pajamas that also put the diaper on for me, because it's a full-on brawl every time...

those are stylin as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 8-month-old has gotten into the ...habit? of waking up crying loudly 1-3 times in the middle of the night. Like, dead sleep to I-can-feel-my-middle-ear-flexing loud. My wife puts her on the boob and she goes right back to sleep. Does anyone have any ideas what might be bothering her?

Also, how hard and fast are the instructions on pureed baby food to "use within 24 hours of opening"? That seems kind of short.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hooah posted:

Our 8-month-old has gotten into the ...habit? of waking up crying loudly 1-3 times in the middle of the night. Like, dead sleep to I-can-feel-my-middle-ear-flexing loud. My wife puts her on the boob and she goes right back to sleep. Does anyone have any ideas what might be bothering her?

Also, how hard and fast are the instructions on pureed baby food to "use within 24 hours of opening"? That seems kind of short.

Our 8 months old started doing the same. We decided it was either separation anxiety or teething.

Here we give ourselves 48 hours with opened food. My girlfriend is a nutritionist so I like to think she made an educated decision on that subject. (but mostly it's for convenience and we don't believe anything bad can really happen to food in 48 hours in a fridge.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

your kid's hungry? My kid's almost two and I still get this at least once a night most nights

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

duckfarts posted:

your kid's hungry? My kid's almost two and I still get this at least once a night most nights

Oh he drinks at night when he needs to. This is often like 2 hours into his sleep and even if my girlfriend tries to nurse him he'll take a sip or two and fall asleep. He just wants to see one of us or got woken up by some pain because he is teething (we presume that's whats happening anyway). He'll go back to sleep in less than 5 seconds when we go. These days he isn't crying/yelling as much though, he'll just make normal wake up noise, but for a week or two he did the super asleep to huge cry and then back to sleep in 1 sec.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Baby sleep is so up and down. Their brains could be doing a thing, teeth just want to know where you guys are, too hot/cold/whatever.

It goes in cycles. There will be good stretches and bad stretches and it happens. Rare are the babies that sleep through and never again have night wakings after starting to sleep through.

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

What is this parenting group you speak of?

Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/455100177924727/ Turns out I was supposed to put my email there. Reading comprehension r gud over here

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hooah posted:

This is normal from teething, separation anxiety and stomach limitations. Most kids will be this way until whatever the direct cause is resolves itself. You're interpreting your child who only has physical cues into what they need.

My 17m/o daughter still is that way and cosleeping enabled her to pop a nipple in her mouth and back asleep without crying. There are telltale sounds prior to the crying if it's nursing needs.

Meanwhile my daughter is refusing help with toothbrushing but not old enough to do it herself. Sometimes from gum pain sometimes just a clear no. Any ideas?

edit: didn't know there was a group either, guess I'll join.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 12, 2016

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

KingColliwog posted:

Our 8 months old started doing the same. We decided it was either separation anxiety or teething.

Here we give ourselves 48 hours with opened food. My girlfriend is a nutritionist so I like to think she made an educated decision on that subject. (but mostly it's for convenience and we don't believe anything bad can really happen to food in 48 hours in a fridge.

We did the same, about 48hrs in the fridge. However, don't feed out of the jars. You want to put food into a bowl and eat from that. Much like with formula/bottled breastmilk, you don't want to introduce the enzymes in saliva into the food via spoon transfer. So we dished it out of the jars into bowls, jars went into the fridge for up to 2 days. Food in the bowl that we actually fed from, we tossed if he didn't finish which wasn't usually all that much because we'd only put about a tablespoon at a time in there when he was new and as he grew we already had a decent idea of how much food he'd eat at a sitting.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Our 8 month old has also been waking up during the night out of his normal schedule. Partially due to teething and as we found yesterday, partially due to coming down with a fever.

He started with a runny nose on Saturday but acted like his normal self right up through late Sunday afternoon when he was inconsolable and without much of an appetite. We put him down at his normal bedtime and given the circumstances, I went upstairs with a bottle at around 11. He took it, I was rocking him back to sleep and....projective vomit! Nothing like that when you're sleep deprived yourself.

Teething is such a bitch. He's been suffering from it for a month now and every chance I peek in to see if his existing 6 have finally more budding companions poking through. NOPE!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Random survey to get some new ideas of things to do with my kid:

What do you guys do with your kids on the weekends?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Cheesus posted:

Our 8 month old has also been waking up during the night out of his normal schedule. Partially due to teething and as we found yesterday, partially due to coming down with a fever.

He started with a runny nose on Saturday but acted like his normal self right up through late Sunday afternoon when he was inconsolable and without much of an appetite. We put him down at his normal bedtime and given the circumstances, I went upstairs with a bottle at around 11. He took it, I was rocking him back to sleep and....projective vomit! Nothing like that when you're sleep deprived yourself.

Teething is such a bitch. He's been suffering from it for a month now and every chance I peek in to see if his existing 6 have finally more budding companions poking through. NOPE!

hahaha, didn't get any projectile vomiting for months now! So happy. God it sucks at night when you can barely keep your eyes opened.

our 8 months old is now better (well 3 good night in a row, probably going to go back to terrible sleep tonight since I talked about it!) after a solid month of having poo poo sleep because of the teething/separation anxiety. It's his first one and it's only barely out now, but enough that it doesn't seem to hurt so much. Kind of hoping it's not going to be as bad for every other one :|

Fionnoula posted:

We did the same, about 48hrs in the fridge. However, don't feed out of the jars. You want to put food into a bowl and eat from that. Much like with formula/bottled breastmilk, you don't want to introduce the enzymes in saliva into the food via spoon transfer. So we dished it out of the jars into bowls, jars went into the fridge for up to 2 days. Food in the bowl that we actually fed from, we tossed if he didn't finish which wasn't usually all that much because we'd only put about a tablespoon at a time in there when he was new and as he grew we already had a decent idea of how much food he'd eat at a sitting.

didn't mention it be we do that too. A few times we put it back in the fridge even if he ate out of the jar, but he was going to finish it a few hours later for dinner.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BonoMan posted:

Children's museum (he's basically content to spend all day in the ball&tube room rolling things from the top to the bottom) . Building our own wood wall with a ball route using tubing. Beach (freshwater lake). All-day-playground-fun. Trips to visit family. Chase him in circles around the house for hours, then wrap him in a blanket and swing him around, then have a dance party and collapse exhausted while he insists we go back to the chase game. Set up water table and sprinkler. Different playground. Yet a different playground. Indoor playground in the mall when it rains. Kid gym thing. Let him run around in the driveway collecting ants and giving them to me. Playing hide and seek. Zoo. Letting him play with/feed his cousins chickens. Letting him take all the shoes and pans out of their homes and hide them around the house because it's too hot and I can't be arsed to stop him.

Uh... other stuff as well? That's just the last 3 weekends I guess.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 13, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Is there anything you can do when your kid has night terrors, or do you have to basically wait it out? I saw the advice about waking them up a bit before the time they usually have night terrors, but is there anything you can do when they're having one?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BonoMan posted:

I guess it depends on where you live and how old your kid is, how many you have, etc. I'll give some examples for our family, we have a 5-year old, a 3-year old and a 2-year old. We live in Los Angeles.

Typically the youngest one needs a nap, so we try to schedule most stuff for the morning and early afternoon. If there is a drive involved, we try to time it so everyone naps during the drive, it doesn't always work but it's our goal. Bedtime is around 8pm, though sometimes it creeps up to 9pm or 10pm on weekends depending on what we end up doing. Also, LA area stuff gets PACKED on the weekends so we try to stay away from obvious places we might otherwise hit during the week (the beach, popular indoor playplaces like KidSpace in Pasadena).

Some of our standard activities are:
Aquarium of the Pacific - we can spend a few hours running around looking at animals, they also have a few water pads for kids to play on.
LA zoo - Ours is so big that even when it's packed there is still plenty of space for everyone.
Disneyland - Sunday mornings are the BEST time to visit the park, no one is there until noon so if you get there at 8am you have almost no lines for rides for 4 hours!
botanical gardens - we go to two regularly, and both have kid-friendly areas everyone can hang out in.
My Gym - we are members, we often do makeup classes on the weekend
Santa Anita racetrack - the kids can play in the infield playground, we picnic by the paddock, cheer on the races, etc.
Local park - ours is 3 blocks away, my husband sometimes takes the kids by himself so I can have a nap or something.
Outdoor mall - we go to an early buffet dinner, wander over to an ice cream shop for dessert, watch the water fountain and chase each other around light poles.
Board games - we have a few games all three kids can play, though it tends to devolve into chaos.

This weekend was different, we really didn't do anything at all this weekend and it was awesome. Lots of backyard play (lightsabers made out of pool floaties are their favorite toy) and watched TV and movies. The youngest is fighting off a cold, so we didn't want to aggravate it. And yeah, I also did a ton of chores like dishes, laundry and couponing. That part sucked.

What are you doing on the weekends? Maybe you can give us new ideas as well!

duckfarts posted:

Is there anything you can do when your kid has night terrors, or do you have to basically wait it out? I saw the advice about waking them up a bit before the time they usually have night terrors, but is there anything you can do when they're having one?

Mine have each had a variety of night terrors or freakouts. The best I could do is sit with them, hold them, offer them water, and gently put them back to sleep.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 13, 2016

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

BonoMan posted:

We’re close to the beach so we usually head out there once a weekend if the weather’s good. Just got a bike seat so we ride around the neighborhood. Also hit the standard playgrounds and parks. It’s a small town so even something basic like grocery shopping becomes an adventure time activity, too. My son (almost 2) likes to push the kids-sized carts as best he can so when all else fails we haul him to the store and do our shopping.

Once or twice a month we take a trip to bigger nearby cities (Charleston and Savannah mainly) and visit an aquarium or kids museum or just wander around enjoying different scenery.

At home we do what we do during the week — cardboard box forts/garages for his cars, Play-Doh time, coloring if he’s in the mood (not much lately), play in the inflatable pool in the backyard, walk around the neighborhood pointing out squirrels and dogs. We just try to come up with new ways to play, and a lot of times the best results come from the most mundane household things. My son will sit and play with a bowl full of pennies for 20 minutes. Or run around sniffing all the candles in the house. That's basically our weekend. :)

I'll add that I try to keep his schedule fairly on-track with our weekday routine. I stay at home and my wife works so it's mostly selfish on my part -- if he's up too late on the weekends or misses naps, it can make Monday/Tuesday hell.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Do you guys do these activities weekly? Biweekly? Just curious, I feel like I have a pretty lovely baseline to go by as both my parents are excellent at being very busy themselves.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Rurutia posted:

Do you guys do these activities weekly? Biweekly? Just curious, I feel like I have a pretty lovely baseline to go by as both my parents are excellent at being very busy themselves.

I get mommy guilt if we spend too long idle. I am a :btroll: and I am trying to keep my kids active so they don't slip into the lazy habits I developed as a kid. The oldest has discovered our tablet, so I find myself having to develop ways to manage his use of it. He already spent time he would otherwise be in the backyard playing with his siblings sitting at the kitchen table playing the tablet instead. I think I need to "lose" it until our big summer trip next month.

I try to do at least one big activity each weekend. I then try to keep the other day free so my husband can actually enjoy his weekend off from work, but sometimes I schedule us too much and we end up as worn-out at the end of the weekend as we were at the end of the week! Sometimes we host board gaming days or family dinners for one day then some outing the next. It all depends on weather and stuff.

And I try to keep the kids busy during the week as well. We use the Kids Bowl Free summer program for free bowling games maybe once a week, we do a lot of My Gym classes and makeups (they are doing camp there this week), they are taking swim lessons at the local pool - I do give them downtime to veg out or chase each other around the house and backyard, but that mommy guilt kicks in and I find myself looking for new ways to keep them active.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
This morning between catching up on a lot of work, I briefly thought, "Huh, that's weird that the baby is sick and we're not."

Sometime around mid-day it started to hit me. Slightly itchy throat. Cotton balls stuffed into my brain.

Ten minutes ago my wife came in to my office (she stayed home with the baby) to chat and remarked, "You don't look so good. I'm not feeling great either."

Ah, parenthood.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with baby constipation? Our 8 month-old daughter has had a rough couple of weeks now when trying to poo. Every time it's a physically struggle with lots of crying, and eventually a smallish, quite hard, lump of poo decides to come out.

She's breastfeeding and eating solids too (things like oatmeal, berries, tomatoes, snap peas, spinach, quinoa, avocado). She also drinks lots of water throughout the day. We've tried grinding down dried prunes and mix them in her water for her to drink, it seemed to work at first, but it stopped.

Has anyone had to deal with this with your baby kids?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

rgocs posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with baby constipation? Our 8 month-old daughter has had a rough couple of weeks now when trying to poo. Every time it's a physically struggle with lots of crying, and eventually a smallish, quite hard, lump of poo decides to come out.

She's breastfeeding and eating solids too (things like oatmeal, berries, tomatoes, snap peas, spinach, quinoa, avocado). She also drinks lots of water throughout the day. We've tried grinding down dried prunes and mix them in her water for her to drink, it seemed to work at first, but it stopped.

You can mix a small (start out with a quarter of a teaspoonful) amount of Miralax (or generic equivalent) a few times a day into whatever she will consistently drink. It has no flavor. Works pretty simply as a stool softener at small doses. You can titrate it up/down as necessary to make it easier to go. As long as it isn't causing diarrhea it will have no other effects as it is not systemically absorbed.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rgocs posted:

My grain of salt totally unprofessional opinion is that those solids may be a bit... too solid for an 8 month old? This is probably dumb but are you pureeing it?

Also as for relief, we had luck with the glycerine suppository trick. Just be ready for it to COME OUT IMMEDIATELY DEAR GOD.

Also thanks to everyone for the weekender tips - some great stuff in there.

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

rgocs posted:

It's been an issue off and on for us starting at around the 1 year mark. My son's pediatrician had us try a few things -- fruit juices, prunes, and adding olive oil to his foods. None of that helped in any significant way and we went the Miralax route to give the little guy some help. Also used a couple of those glycerin suppositories to get things un-stuck when it got bad. BonoMan is right...those work fast.

Things got better when he got up and about and started walking more. We still have to use the occasional Miralax dose but not very often.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Hopefully we can do without medication, but it's good to know which ones to ask for.

BonoMan posted:

My grain of salt totally unprofessional opinion is that those solids may be a bit... too solid for an 8 month old? This is probably dumb but are you pureeing it?

Also as for relief, we had luck with the glycerine suppository trick. Just be ready for it to COME OUT IMMEDIATELY DEAR GOD.

We've started pureeing most of it. We did baby-led weaning with our first and never had this problem, but we have been giving more pureed stuff to our daughter. Sugar peas (not snap peas) she will chew on and most of it comes back out, but you're right, maybe she's swallowing some of it and it's not helping. We chop cherry tomatoes and soft fruit (ripe pear and papaya) in tiny pieces and let her have her way with them. We'll give her a small strip of meat sometimes and she'll suck all the juices out and throws it away when she's done.

Her poo is like dried dough, it doesn't have any signs of food chunks; which I would (maybe mistakenly?) expect if it was due to solids not being pureed? Will try a few days with just pureed stuff and see how it goes.

Are glycerine suppositories over-the counter? Or doctor-prescribed?

pjhalifax posted:

Things got better when he got up and about and started walking more. We still have to use the occasional Miralax dose but not very often.

She just started crawling Saturday, so we're hoping that helps.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BonoMan posted:

Also thanks to everyone for the weekender tips - some great stuff in there.

I don't think pureeing will make a difference unless the problem is the baby is not having water and you're adding more into the puree process. Nothing wrong with trying though unless the baby hates being spoon fed. I know Charles likes eating his food by himself and will do a fair bit of yelling when he can't eat by himself.

rgocs posted:

We also do baby lead weaning and Charles eat absolutely every and any thing. All you've listed and a lot more (basically anything we eat).

He had a bout of constipation when he first started eating because we messed up and added too much formula to his cereal. We ended up using a bit of lax-a-day (which is the same as miralax AFAIK) and lots of prune juice/puree.

Since then he hasn't really been constipated, but every now and then he'll have a harder time pooping (bunch of grunting, some crying) and the poop is like small nuggets of play-doh. We asked the doctor we saw when he was really constipated and he said not to worry and that it was normal as long as he pooped regularly, his stomach wasn't hard, etc. When the poop is thicker we feed him a bunch of dry prune puree (we boil them in water first to rehydrate them) with his meal and try to get him to drink extra water.

Glycerine suppositories are over the counter. Be warned that after a very short time every oz of poop will come out your babies butt. Like more than you can imagine

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

I don't think pureeing will make a difference unless the problem is the baby is not having water and you're adding more into the puree process. Nothing wrong with trying though unless the baby hates being spoon fed. I know Charles likes eating his food by himself and will do a fair bit of yelling when he can't eat by himself.

We also do baby lead weaning and Charles eat absolutely every and any thing. All you've listed and a lot more (basically anything we eat).

Yeah, I listed mostly the things she eats on a regular basis. But we give her some of whatever we're eating. She gets cutely angry if she sees us eating something and doesn't get a bit of it.

KingColliwog posted:

He had a bout of constipation when he first started eating because we messed up and added too much formula to his cereal. We ended up using a bit of lax-a-day (which is the same as miralax AFAIK) and lots of prune juice/puree.

Since then he hasn't really been constipated, but every now and then he'll have a harder time pooping (bunch of grunting, some crying) and the poop is like small nuggets of play-doh. We asked the doctor we saw when he was really constipated and he said not to worry and that it was normal as long as he pooped regularly, his stomach wasn't hard, etc. When the poop is thicker we feed him a bunch of dry prune puree (we boil them in water first to rehydrate them) with his meal and try to get him to drink extra water.

Glycerine suppositories are over the counter. Be warned that after a very short time every oz of poop will come out your babies butt. Like more than you can imagine

If we ever do the glycerine suppository it sounds like I'll have to prepare the room a la Dexter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We've tried the glycerine suppositories a couple of times. Once worked well, but nothing crazy, and the other time did nothing. We felt so bad because those were the last resort!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
For the suppositories, the doc told us not to use them if the baby hasn't been pooping for a few days. If there's some sort of blocage in there it could rip their anuses while coming out which isn't great. That's why we used the lax a day which is supposedly the best thing to use if you're going to do something else than prune juice.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

rgocs posted:

Yeah, I listed mostly the things she eats on a regular basis. But we give her some of whatever we're eating. She gets cutely angry if she sees us eating something and doesn't get a bit of it.

If we ever do the glycerine suppository it sounds like I'll have to prepare the room a la Dexter.

Maybe consider cutting the oatmeal for a while? My kid couldn't eat any cereal type things until he was like 2, it was like instant constipation every time.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

rgocs posted:

We did baby led weaning too and haven't had constipation issues. Our kid eats a ton of fruit. He especially loves blueberries and will eat a whole bowl full of them at once and more if we let him. He always has a huge looser stool after he has a big bowl of blueberries so that's worth a shot. You mentioned that she is drinking lots of water. Generally, water is only given in very small amounts to kids under 1 especially if breastfeeding as breastfeeding provides all of the hydration they need and water results in filling up the tummy without the nutrition. We did introduce water at that age, but we only did a shot glass sized cup that we filled a tiny bit at a time so he could learn to drink from a cup. That was given only at meal times and I would say he maybe got 1oz of water per meal. Maybe up the breastmilk and lessen the water. You may find that she eats less solids if she has more breastmilk, but maybe the water is throwing off the balance between breastmilk and solids causing the drier, hard stools. I would talk to the pediatrician because healthy poop should not be dry or hard. At this point, she may need the treatments others suggested to clear things out so she doesn't end up impacted, but a change in diet will likely be necessary to prevent it from continuing.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

We did baby led weaning too and haven't had constipation issues. Our kid eats a ton of fruit. He especially loves blueberries and will eat a whole bowl full of them at once and more if we let him. He always has a huge looser stool after he has a big bowl of blueberries so that's worth a shot. You mentioned that she is drinking lots of water. Generally, water is only given in very small amounts to kids under 1 especially if breastfeeding as breastfeeding provides all of the hydration they need and water results in filling up the tummy without the nutrition. We did introduce water at that age, but we only did a shot glass sized cup that we filled a tiny bit at a time so he could learn to drink from a cup. That was given only at meal times and I would say he maybe got 1oz of water per meal. Maybe up the breastmilk and lessen the water. You may find that she eats less solids if she has more breastmilk, but maybe the water is throwing off the balance between breastmilk and solids causing the drier, hard stools. I would talk to the pediatrician because healthy poop should not be dry or hard. At this point, she may need the treatments others suggested to clear things out so she doesn't end up impacted, but a change in diet will likely be necessary to prevent it from continuing.

Yeah, I agree with this. Breast milk is an incredibly effective laxative, so you don't want to replace too much of it. Food should be complementary to breastfeeding until age one and constipation can be a sign that the balance is swinging too far to solids and they need to be cut back some in favor of more breastfeeding.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

When we eat she gets breastfed first, then eats and then she drinks water or back on the boob. She's pretty good at letting us know which one she wants. I asked my wife if she drinks more water at other times and said not really, mostly breastfeeds. But you're right, we're not measuring how much water she actually drinks. We'll keep track and make sure it's mostly breast milk. Didn't consider a milk/water balance could cause constipation.

Fionnoula posted:

Maybe consider cutting the oatmeal for a while? My kid couldn't eat any cereal type things until he was like 2, it was like instant constipation every time.

We did some time me back tracking and a couple of weeks ago we stayed with some friends and she was getting better. We didn't have oatmeal all that weekend. So this could be it.

Thanks for the comments so far. Well focus on more breast milk, fruit and less cereals. And report back with changes.

EDIT: About the water/milk balance. My wife just reminded me we started giving water as an attempt to battle the constipation. Although it might be not be helping, there was something else causing it. Either way, we'll focus on favouring breast milk over water.

EDIT 2: She still manages to poo at least once a day, so things are moving through. Hopefully the change in diet will change the poo consistency and we'll get to avoid a blockage.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 14, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is it crazy how I've forgotten all of the stuff I crammed into my head on baby's first introduction to food and the like?

Stuff I fretted so deeply over is just like barely there anymore. It's unnerving.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Is it just me or is it crazy how I've forgotten all of the stuff I crammed into my head on baby's first introduction to food and the like?

Stuff I fretted so deeply over is just like barely there anymore. It's unnerving.

We did all this 4 year ago with our first one and had no problems, zero. We also crammed so much in our heads, and we think we are doing the same things now. However, what I think is actually happening is that we might have gone straight to what ended up working for our first, instead of the trial-and-error we did with him. Turns out kids are different, and I guess we sort of forgot the options we didn't stick with the first time around.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

rgocs posted:

EDIT 2: She still manages to poo at least once a day, so things are moving through. Hopefully the change in diet will change the poo consistency and we'll get to avoid a blockage.
Are 8 month-olds supposed to poop more than once a day? Only rarely do we get a second poop a day out of him.

He's formula fed, so he's not getting any laxative effect from breast milk. But he also doesn't have any constipation-related complaints.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Cheesus posted:

Are 8 month-olds supposed to poop more than once a day? Only rarely do we get a second poop a day out of him.

He's formula fed, so he's not getting any laxative effect from breast milk. But he also doesn't have any constipation-related complaints.

It's not too often, but it has happened. It could be more due to not getting everything out in one go, but piecewise.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Right after we started introducing solids as more than a messy bit of fun a study came out saying it was better to introduce foods earlier, there's some sweet spot where infants are most receptive to new flavors at 4-6 months. So re-educating yourself is better than remembering everything forever.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh my two year old is in this stage where every loving thing is the opposite of what I say. My patience is pretty much zero all the time. Anyone got articles or anything about this poo poo? Every single loving thing is a huge fight or argument even simple poo poo and I've just about lost my mind.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

rgocs posted:

I've been told citrus (including tomatoes) has enough acid to cause pain and rashes on its own. Is it possible pooping was starting to hurt so much she started holding it in? This only applies to eating things that are mainly citrus (orange slices, chopped tomatoes) as opposed to a bit of juice added to other things.

We also didn't do berries other than blueberries before 1 year, I can't remember the rationale though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Reason posted:

Ugh my two year old is in this stage where every loving thing is the opposite of what I say. My patience is pretty much zero all the time. Anyone got articles or anything about this poo poo? Every single loving thing is a huge fight or argument even simple poo poo and I've just about lost my mind.

I used to teach toddlers and I found the trick was to constantly remind myself that this was developmentally appropriate behavior and they were just toddlers being toddlers. Now that my own kid is starting to go through it, I've found it helpful to go back to books to remind myself what to expect and how to handle it. I am a huge fan of How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk and picked it up again a week ago as a refresher and that helped. I also recently read How Toddlers Thrive and found it does a great job of explaining how and why toddlers behave how they do and how to help them (and yourself) through it. The author is an actual expert and it looks like her website has lots of articles if you're looking for some quick tips http://howtoddlersthrive.com/ I also really love the book Honey, I Wrecked the Kids. It's great because it has a sense of humor and like How to Talk, gives you actual tools you can use and really work. All of these are up on current understandings of child development.

My best piece of advice is to develop a mantra to help yourself in the tense times and try to let things go if they aren't important. For instance, my toddler now wants to bring his toy shopping cart with us whenever we leave the house. At first, I was like no way and then I realized that it's not a big deal or worth a power struggle. So he happily walks it to the car, puts it in the trunk, and it stays there until we get home and he walks it back inside. We went from fighting to get out the door to getting out easy and as a bonus he carries things in his shopping cart for me.