Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Maarak posted:

Is Arya going to kill though? I mean, I'm sure she will kill more folks along the way, but the whole point of the last two seasons was that she can live for more than revenge. Arya isn't a stone faced ninja robot.

Arya calling herself "mercy" and having second thoughts about killing the woman who plays Cersei while also talking to her about Cersei's motivations sure seems to make it look like she's going to rethink her list a bit.

Still, Arya is Arya. She's gonna be an assassin, just now she's learning to calm down her rage and vengeance a little bit, focus on what really matters.

I would be happy with Arya just living "happily ever after" though. Somebody should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's going to end up being like one of those assassin action movies where Arya is riding up to King's Landing to kill Cersei and the whole city just burst into a Hiroshima-esqe explosion and she's like... welp. Polishes her blade and turns around to head North.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well he was becoming a decent person at one point and he said in this episode that he would kill every single person in the castle to go back to having sex with his horrible sister. I believe him and you said you believe him too.

He wasn't "becoming" a decent person, though. That part has always been there. There's a reason he, of all the supposedly honorable Kingsguard, was the only one who finally saw the Mad King for what he was (and by extension, what they were, in protecting him). He's always been torn between what his love for his awful family leads him to do, and the sort of ideal man he would be in their absence.

He attacked Bran for Cersei. He attacked Ned because Ned was threatening his family. When he is clear of his father and of Cersei, he can be closer to that ideal. Not too close, because, ya, he will still do what he feels he needs to, but that's not the path he would choose.

Of course, all this is to setup the final crisis where the woman he loves and who he dishonors himself for tries to do the exact same thing he killed the Mad King for. That's when we find out who Jaime Lannister is

(Or it gets subverted and he dies of pox and she falls down a tower)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am rooting for Cersei to blow up kings landing and her zombie terminator to kill everyone, also

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I thought Needle was for poking. How did it cut a candle in half? My immersion!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This season has been good, I hope the climax is good also

Is there anything stopping the dragons from just setting fire to the entire master fleet

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Zzulu posted:

This season has been good, I hope the climax is good also

Is there anything stopping the dragons from just setting fire to the entire master fleet

Two of them are underground, but Drogon will probably do that.

Every Dany scene pushes me further towards Team Ice

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm on team wun wun

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobo the Red posted:

Two of them are underground, but Drogon will probably do that.
I thought Tyrion set them free? I mean, we didn't actually see them leave, but what the hell was the point of unchaining them otherwise?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bobo the Red posted:

Every Dany scene pushes me further towards Team Ice

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I was loudly calling bullshit on Arya's whole plot line in this episode. Two weeks ago they ended with her hiding underground knowing the Faceless were coming to murder her. My immediate thought was 'she's clever, she has a cunning plan to lure the killer underground and fight them in the dark where she has the advantage'.

But she's not clever, so instead we spent 2 episodes worth of time dicking around before that happened. Marked for death, Arya kicks things off by loudly announcing herself on the docks in public, then wandering around sightseeing in broad daylight until, to the surprise of no one, she gets her rear end stabbed.

Then she gets patched up by her actress friend so well that in the bedroom scene she is chattering away, bright-eyed and cheery, completely out of character for someone who has just been stabbed repeatedly in the gut (that poo poo would hurt like hell). Whatever stitching was done would by rights been torn open and bleeding after her first jump out the window, but instead she manages to crowd-run her way through the obstacle equivalent of an episode of Ninja Warrior before even acknowledging that she was mortally wounded in the last 24 hours.

The Waif seemed to be in no rush to get poo poo done, walking slowly or standing around menacingly rather than just running the gently caress up to Arya and finishing her off. Then Arya does her dancing in the dark, and the next time we see her she appears to have once again miraculously recovered from her wounds and betrays no signs of pain or discomfort.

Otherwise, a pretty good episode.

Oh, and people comparing the Waif to the T-1000 are leaving money on the table.

...she's clearly the "No-1000".

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

That DICK! posted:

Also, the little birds are the kids around the city right? I think it means it's info from within the city, not without. She hates Tyrion and Sansa and all but as evidenced by the fact that she's not really worrying about Dorne she realizes she has bigger problems.

It's probably some poo poo on the Sparrow or, my bet, the wildfire cache.

They cut right to a shot of Tyrion. It would be pretty cheap if the rumor wasn't about him.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That bit with the mountain, the background music thumping, now that was terminator inspired. drat good scene.

And loving Lena Headey of all people smirking in the background as she got her own terminator.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, if the faith decided Cersei is super guilty does that automatically invalidate Tommen in their eyes? What would happen then?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So is the money on "Battle of the Bastards" referring to Ramsay v. Jon? Can't wait to see that smug douchelord gutted.

Before someone makes the joke, the smug douchelord is Ramsay.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

precision posted:

So is the money on "Battle of the Bastards" referring to Ramsay v. Jon? Can't wait to see that smug douchelord gutted.

It's actually an all-Dorne episode following the Sand Snakes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Obama 2012 posted:

Then she gets patched up by her actress friend so well that in the bedroom scene she is chattering away, bright-eyed and cheery

She was loaded. I fell off a porch and sliced open my arm from elbow to shoulder, but when the nurse was stitching me up I was loaded on Dilaudid and was chattering away like I couldn't see bone and tendon.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bobo the Red posted:

He wasn't "becoming" a decent person, though. That part has always been there. There's a reason he, of all the supposedly honorable Kingsguard, was the only one who finally saw the Mad King for what he was (and by extension, what they were, in protecting him). He's always been torn between what his love for his awful family leads him to do, and the sort of ideal man he would be in their absence.

He attacked Bran for Cersei. He attacked Ned because Ned was threatening his family. When he is clear of his father and of Cersei, he can be closer to that ideal. Not too close, because, ya, he will still do what he feels he needs to, but that's not the path he would choose.

While Jaime was never evil, he's not supposed to be the same person as he was in the beginning. His experiences as a prisoner, losing his hand, and his relationship with Brienne should change him. The knowledge that Cersei slept with Lancel should change him. (He knows, that's what she's on trial for and she confessed it) The fact that she wanted to execute Tyrion and Jaime released him should change things. She shouldn't still be his biggest priority in life and all he thinks about. He should be a better person.

quote:

Of course, all this is to setup the final crisis where the woman he loves and who he dishonors himself for tries to do the exact same thing he killed the Mad King for. That's when we find out who Jaime Lannister is

This would be bad too because if she revealed herself to be as utterly insane as King Aerys and wants to kill everyone, he may have killed her before the show even started. It's not an event that comes from Jaime's personal growth.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Sand Snake civil war: Bad pussy vs Whip Pussy vs Spear Pussy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

So, if the faith decided Cersei is super guilty does that automatically invalidate Tommen in their eyes? What would happen then?

She never admitted to her affair with Jaime so she isn't on trial for that. She's on trial for sleeping with Lancel, killing Robert, and some other stuff, but the High Sparrow doesn't want her to admit that she slept with Jaime and Tommen is not Robert's son, for obvious reasons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Did Jaime say that there is a cache of wildfire under the sept?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If she goes down for killing Robert with Tommen confirming her execution, there's no way she's not going out without her last words being that Tommen is illegitimate.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Jon Snow is totally gonna lose, isn't he?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

ApeHawk posted:

Jon Snow is totally gonna lose, isn't he?

By the odds of raw military power it looks like there's almost no way he should win. However he has plot armor, he has a giant, he has the wild card of the potential arrival of the Vale Army, and it would be incredibly stupid to have brought him back to have him savagely lose to Ramsay Bolton but it would make me laugh if that's actually what happens.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He has Melisandre who might actually do something this time.

And also Ramsay is really annoying and therefore should die.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The final scene of Game of Thrones is Ramsay Bolton, alone, sitting on the Iron Throne except the Iron Throne is made of flayed skulls now.

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Bobo the Red posted:

Probably not. Jaime said they'd take Edmure and his family to Casterly Rock and give them a decent life.

All in exchange for imprisoning his most loyal supporters and loving over his uncle.

Edmure sucks. I'd be more sympathetic but he hasn't ever seen his son and honestly probably doesn't even have one

Edmure is an incompetent POS. If he had followed Robb Stark's instructions in the first place, then everything would be different. The Mountain would be captured/killed, no Karstark rebellion, and maybe Robb outmaneuvers the Lannister army to a draw and is still alive as king in the north. loving Edmure...I hope they put his dumbass right back in a cell.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dany showing up during this episode felt so shoehorned it, I forgot about it until this morning.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
They need to kill Ramsay they took all the joy out of that character he's about as one dimensional and boring as it gets.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Edmure is an incompetent POS. If he had followed Robb Stark's instructions in the first place, then everything would be different. The Mountain would be captured/killed, no Karstark rebellion, and maybe Robb outmaneuvers the Lannister army to a draw and is still alive as king in the north. loving Edmure...I hope they put his dumbass right back in a cell.

Those "instructions" didn't include the important details of the big picture. He just said "stay here" when he should have said "stay here so we can draw them out."

That's on Robb, not Edmure.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Edmure is still a whiny bitch though :colbert:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It's hard to tell which Tobias Menzies character I hate more, Edmure or Black Jack Randall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Obama 2012 posted:

Oh, and people comparing the Waif to the T-1000 are leaving money on the table.

...she's clearly the "No-1000".

:golfclap:

Libertine posted:

If she goes down for killing Robert with Tommen confirming her execution, there's no way she's not going out without her last words being that Tommen is illegitimate.

To spite her own son? Cersei is lots of things, but not that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Asmodai_00 posted:

Those "instructions" didn't include the important details of the big picture. He just said "stay here" when he should have said "stay here so we can draw them out."

That's on Robb, not Edmure.
Yeah, it's definitely Robb failing as a leader. If he wanted his ally to follow his orders to the letter, he should have told him the plan, rather than expect a recently humbled (failing to hit the boat) nobleman to not seek glory on the field of battle. Like most Starks, his troubles are mostly his own doing, everyone else just have to pay the price.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it's definitely Robb failing as a leader. If he wanted his ally to follow his orders to the letter, he should have told him the plan, rather than expect a recently humbled (failing to hit the boat) nobleman to not seek glory on the field of battle. Like most Starks, his troubles are mostly his own doing, everyone else just have to pay the price.

That's not on Robb. As a military leader you give orders anticipating they'll be obeyed. Nobody could have the capability to monitor the emotional status of all vassal lords.

PLENTY of poo poo can be piled on Robb, but not that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FateFree posted:

I thought Needle was for poking. How did it cut a candle in half? My immersion!

I actually thought this as well.

Look the Arya story was disappointing but the good news is we move on from here and don't have to worry about it anymore. See: Dorne

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Needle is a sharpened steel bar and wax is really soft, mystery solved.

You don't need a sacred hanzo blade to cut a candle.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I like to believe the Riverlands has pangolins because of the blackfish and tully armor looking like pangolin scale armor

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How does cutting a candle put it out, though? The first thing I thought was that table's gonna catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pander posted:

That's not on Robb. As a military leader you give orders anticipating they'll be obeyed. Nobody could have the capability to monitor the emotional status of all vassal lords.

PLENTY of poo poo can be piled on Robb, but not that.
Edmure isn't his vassal lord, he's an ally of essentially the same rank as Robb (usurper title of "King of the North" excepted), and they do not exist under a modern unified military structure. Robb's commands would in reality be no more than suggestions when given to an ally, and he should thus have ensured that Edmure understood exactly why following them was so important.

Vegetable posted:

How does cutting a candle put it out, though? The first thing I thought was that table's gonna catch fire.
If it fell on the wick the flame would get snuffed out easily enough.

• Locked thread