Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stinkles1112 posted:

When was the last time a Hillary or Bernie campaign trail speech got broadcast uninterrupted on all three main cable news channels start-to-almost-finish? Serious question. They're just playing straight into Big Don's tiny hands, every day.

The presumptive Republican nominee delivering a prepared speech about the largest mass shooting in US history and addressing his controversial campaign promises is probably safely "newsworthy." The constant rally speeches is another subject, obviously, but Hillary would get the same coverage if she called the media up and gave them a full day's prepping. Mostly Trump just gets a lot of media attention because he's a massive media whore who sets it up. But like the time to box him out passed a long time ago and now he's just one of the most important people in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zelder posted:

i hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming, but would any of the patrons having a gun in that nightclub realistically have changed the outcome?

There was armed security. They were killed first because a guy with an AR-15 has a pretty huge advantage over some guys with handguns.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
He keeps saying there is no vetti process, but I was under the impression that the syrian refuges were screened really hard before being sent here. He is just making poo poo up again right?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He keeps saying there is no vetti process, but I was under the impression that the syrian refuges were screened really hard before being sent here. He is just making poo poo up again right?

They are. He's literallypurposefully lying.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zelder posted:

i hope this doesn't come across as victim blaming, but would any of the patrons having a gun in that nightclub realistically have changed the outcome?

iirc the first casualty was an armed, off-duty cop who was working security for the club

It's Pride weekend, it's a crowded nightclub, it's dark with music thumping. There were reports from survivors that they heard "pops" and didn't realize someone was shooting until bodies started dropping. More of the patrons being armed wouldn't have helped.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

WampaLord posted:

Okay, great, so you're not proposing any practical solutions at all, just "We should be more bigoted towards Islam."

I don't think that will help or fix anything, in fact, it will probably just piss off a lot of people.

A lot of things that did help and fix a lot of social problems pissed off a lot of people at the time; the civil rights movement comes to mind.

I'm guessing the thread will be pissed off at me for making that comparison, even though both (criticism of the Jim Crow south and criticism of Islam) involve trying to break the power of backwards, oppressive, patriarchal social institutions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo is anyone actually shouting down justified condemnation or is that a thing you say to make yourself feel like you're victimized?

I mean god drat that's not too far from going around and saying every Muslim must condemn every act of terror or they are just as bad as the terrorists.

pretty much any time anyone complains about PC culture or the liberal hivemind what they're really saying is "my opinions are unpopular and people make fun of me and i'm bitter about that"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Crain posted:

They are. He's literallypurposefully lying.

That's what I thought, it was especially aggravating since the guy who shot everyone was born in NYC and he keeps talking like he came straight from Afghanistan on a direct Hillary Flight to Orlando.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liberal_L33t posted:

A lot of things that did help and fix a lot of social problems pissed off a lot of people at the time; the civil rights movement comes to mind.

I'm guessing the thread will be pissed off at me for making that comparison, even though both (criticism of the Jim Crow south and criticism of Islam) involve trying to break the power of backwards, oppressive, patriarchal social institutions.

i dont know if pissed off is the word, more like amused at your really bad comparison - religious tenets are not cultural practices are not legal discrimination. you seem really confused, i suggest a break to cool off a bit from thinking about muslims

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

"ask yourself who is really the friend of women and LGBT community, donald trump with actions or hillary clinton with her words?"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

lol

he can't say lgbt

"LBGT" "L..L GTB"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Liberal_L33t posted:

One of those was systemic legal oppression by a government, and the other is a religion you don't like.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Reminder the dude was born in the US. Trump is a pathological liar and piece of poo poo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
ell bee gee tee

"Muslims enslave women and murder gays, don't let them in the country."

direct quote holey moley

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

STAC Goat posted:

The presumptive Republican nominee delivering a prepared speech about the largest mass shooting in US history and addressing his controversial campaign promises is probably safely "newsworthy." The constant rally speeches is another subject, obviously, but Hillary would get the same coverage if she called the media up and gave them a full day's prepping. Mostly Trump just gets a lot of media attention because he's a massive media whore who sets it up. But like the time to box him out passed a long time ago and now he's just one of the most important people in this country.

Ugh..you're totally right and gently caress I guess it just hasn't sunk in fully yet that he's legitimized now

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pellisworth posted:

political correctness gone mad

I've been keeping an eye on the LA Times and there haven't been further updates.

Howell had three assault rifles, high-capacity ammo, a 5-gallon bucket of Tannerite and other explosives, and camo gear in his car. He told cops he was going to attend the Pride parade but the reports of him saying he wanted to "harm" it were misreported, so it's not clear what his intentions or motives were.

He's bisexual and was recently dating a guy, so homophobia seems unlikely as a motive. But he also recently has been in trouble for pointing guns at his neighbors and boyfriend:

No more new information. My guess would be a gun nut who may or may not have been about to go on a shooting spree, if I'm reading the article correctly he just got sentenced to a year in prison and probation with the condition he surrender his weapons.

That's what I thought I was gathering. I hope we get more information, because I could read that either as "bisexual gun nut was stupid and acting suspiciously" or "bisexual gun nut was going to shoot a bunch of people for a reason unrelated to homophobia."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The answer to "He is just making poo poo up again right?" is almost certainly yes. It's what Trump does.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's what I thought, it was especially aggravating since the guy who shot everyone was born in NYC and he keeps talking like he came straight from Afghanistan on a direct Hillary Flight to Orlando.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder the dude was born in the US. Trump is a pathological liar and piece of poo poo.

The rhetoric he used for this was that the father/mother were allowed in as political refugees after we went into Afghanistan.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Liberal_L33t posted:

I mean, you all wouldn't have any problem declaring the average Ugandan who supports their government's "kill the gays" policy as an ignorant, backwards, patriarchal piece of poo poo, would you? They aren't white either. So why can't zealously regressive attitudes among muslims be condemned with the same fervor?

Notice that nowhere in detailing what a shithole Uganda is about human rights did you need to mention religion. Perhaps because the issue isn't that they are Christian homophobes, it's that they are homophobes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

"Muslims have to work with us, they have to turn them in".

"They didn't turn him in."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

San Bernadino happened because PC culture prevented "all the people who knew" from reporting the dude because "racial profiling".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Trump just said that if you know something about a terrorist attack, or knew anything at all about someone involved and you don't alert on them that you need to face criminal consequences.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont know if pissed off is the word, more like amused at your really bad comparison - religious tenets are not cultural practices are not legal discrimination. you seem really confused, i suggest a break to cool off a bit from thinking about muslims

Yeah, the civil rights movement had nothing to do with challenging cultural practices, an end to legal discrimination was the one and only goal they cared about :rolleyes:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

"Famous World Wide apology tour"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liberal_L33t posted:

Yeah, the civil rights movement had nothing to do with challenging cultural practices, an end to legal discrimination was the one and only goal they cared about :rolleyes:

so i guess we can put basic american history on the list of things you don't seem to know much about

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

NippleFloss posted:

Notice that nowhere in detailing what a shithole Uganda is about human rights did you need to mention religion. Perhaps because the issue isn't that they are Christian homophobes, it's that they are homophobes.

So you think that if Uganda had undergone the same cultural changes as western Christian nations - if it had followed a similar path towards secularization and a primacy of individual rights over community standards - the "kill the gays" law would still have been passed?

If so we'll have to agree to disagree. Christianity has everything to do with how much of a shithole that particular nation is.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

so i guess we can put basic american history on the list of things you don't seem to know much about

Out of curiosity would you describe housing covenants as "legal discrimination" or a cultural practice? If it's the former - despite the fact that these agreements were not created by any government body and were by their very nature created at the local, community level - then I think that explains a lot about why you and I can't come to an agreement about all of this.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Liberal_L33t posted:

If so we'll have to agree to disagree. Christianity has everything to do with how much of a shithole that particular nation is.
This is fun, explain Japanese homophobia next!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liberal_L33t posted:

Out of curiosity would you describe housing covenants as "legal discrimination" or a cultural practice? If it's the former - despite the fact that these agreements were not created by any government body and were by their very nature created at the local, community level - then I think that explains a lot about why you and I can't come to an agreement about all of this.

given that a housing covenant is a legal document enforcable by law i think that would count as legal discrimination, liberal leet. that is how words work

if religion is th ecause of all bad things in the world then how do you explain your posts?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Have you guys ever thought about, despite everything we're doing to protect the rights of Muslims, that they might actually be the bad guys?

Makes you think.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

fool_of_sound posted:

One of those was systemic legal oppression by a government, and the other is a religion you don't like.

Oppression doesn't need to be conducted by a government to be systematic or worthy of action being taken against it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The best weapon against terrorism is true egalitarianism. You only make more enemies when you deny people equal rights.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Liberal_L33t posted:

So you think that if Uganda had undergone the same cultural changes as western Christian nations - if it had followed a similar path towards secularization and a primacy of individual rights over community standards - the "kill the gays" law would still have been passed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_..._expression.svg

There's a lot more to "culture" than "Christianity", hon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stinkles1112 posted:

Ugh..you're totally right and gently caress I guess it just hasn't sunk in fully yet that he's legitimized now

Its understandable. Its a scary new world.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Liberal_L33t posted:

Most of the victims of Muslim violence are other Muslims. So in this civil rights analogy the black
people are oppressing other black people. Are you also one of those people who think that "black culture" is inherently violent and needs to be renounced?

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

given that a housing covenant is a legal document enforcable by law i think that would count as legal discrimination, liberal leet. that is how words work

if religion is th ecause of all bad things in the world then how do you explain your posts?

religion isn't the cause of all bad things in the world; just the cause of more bad things than any other human institution. kind of like cigarettes vs. fatty foods in the incidence of heart disease.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Liberal_L33t posted:

religion isn't the cause of all bad things in the world; just the cause of more bad things than any other human institution. kind of like cigarettes vs. fatty foods in the incidence of heart disease.

Incorrect, that would actually be "othering" or "tribalism", but please try again.

edit: I'm also still curious how Japan's non-recognition of same sex relationships is caused by religion

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Liberal_L33t posted:

Sure buddy, what else did you read about in Dick Dawkin's book?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liberal_L33t posted:

i'm pointing out that for someone who gets so angry about religion your posts are real bad. worse than homophobia. you also don't seem to understand many of the things you talk about. it's almost like you're more upset than anything else and you're just sort of childishly lashing out without thinking about any of the terms you use like legal discrimination etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Liberal_L33t posted:

religion isn't the cause of all bad things in the world; just the cause of more bad things than any other human institution.

Is bad posting at least a close second?

• Locked thread