Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh he does, is editorial the one who doesn't.

So editorial mandated him to be a murderous, psychopathic, man child?

Man that "Dark Trinity" book is going to suck hardcore. Bizarro and Todd should just be villains again. I mean Bizarro you can say is just a misunderstood Frankenstein's monster character who can be redeemed. Todd is a straight villain who was given multiple chances to redeem himself. He always turns into a whiney bitchboy and cries about no one loving him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
He was fine in B&R:Eternal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hey Toxx, did you end up reading the Superman Beyond issues of Final Crisis?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

He was fine in B&R:Eternal.

The editors gave the writers a bit more freedom.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

The editors gave the writers a bit more freedom.

Do you really think the editorial mandate is "Jason must be an unrepentant 1-dimensional murderous shitbag?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't like it = editorial mandate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do you really think the editorial mandate is "Jason must be an unrepentant 1-dimensional murderous shitbag?"

You are an amazing person. :shittydog:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

So editorial mandated him to be a murderous, psychopathic, man child?

Something that he is not under Lobdell or any other writer in the N52.

As I've pointed out before, Jason barely kills on his own title. Even less in the crossovers.

The issue about Jason's appearances in other books is that very few writers follow Lobdell's characterization, reducing him to a generic "bad boy"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do hope that Black Mask kicks the crap out of him during their next showdown. (Todd fights Black Mask way too much. I feel like Black Mask is the only Bat villain Todd ever fights.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Let's not treat each other like this.

We wouldn't have to worry about this if the Red Hood thread was still around.
I actually long for a Red Hood thread again so this poo poo could be contained

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

You are an amazing person. :shittydog:

Oh sorry I literally didn't see who I was responding to, I thought you were DT.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do not think DC gives enough of a poo poo to meddle with Red Hood DT.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a part of me that wants to just cut and paste everything DT posts since he has to be the single person who's put this much thought into Jason loving Todd.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey Toxx, did you end up reading the Superman Beyond issues of Final Crisis?

No, I stopped giving a poo poo about Final Crisis long ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

No, I stopped giving a poo poo about Final Crisis long ago.
No wonder you had issues with it being confusing. It's not an optional part of the story, regardless of whatever your reading list said.

If you ever get around to reading The Multiversity it's definitely worth a look, plus it's a good Superman story in its own right. TO BE CONTINUED is a really great moment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yea I had the same issue with Final Crisis. Enjoyed the first few issues but it got so up its own arse that I didn't know what was going on. I read Superman Beyond later on (it was sold it when the series was coming out) and the main series made more sense, but it pissed me off even more that I needed to read outside issues to understand what was going on in the main series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

No wonder you had issues with it being confusing. It's not an optional part of the story, regardless of whatever your reading list said.

If you ever get around to reading The Multiversity it's definitely worth a look, plus it's a good Superman story in its own right. TO BE CONTINUED is a really great moment.

To be fair I was only interested in Final Crisis inasmuch as it tied in to Batman, less as its own event.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman #1 preview.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/superman-1-dc-comics-2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress yes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So is the son someone born to Lois Lane or is it some kind of weird adoption thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

So is the son someone born to Lois Lane or is it some kind of weird adoption thing?

The new Superboy? PF-Lois gave birth to him in Convergence Superman #2.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Madkal posted:

No, he's Clark and Lois' biological kid. Old Clark and Old Lois. New Clark is dead and new Lois....uh...I guess will become Superwoman somehow?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any word on Connor? I thought he was running around in TT for a few issues not long ago.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kingtheninja posted:

Any word on Connor? I thought he was running around in TT for a few issues not long ago.

Kon-El showed up but was a completely different character unrecognizable as the old Connor.

No word on old Connor, but Johns has said over and over again that he is who he misses the most from pre-New52 so its a good bet he'll convince someone to bring him back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Superman preview has me very excited. That splash page is beautiful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, I thought Chris Kent was Zod's son that they adopted.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, I thought Chris Kent was Zod's son that they adopted.

He was. This is Jonathan Kent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh. Shows how much I keep up!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Stupid question, but that preview is the black-garb wearing other Superman, right, and not his son somehow aged?

I thought other Supes was supposed to be older, seeing him without his beard and young is throwing me off.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
He is older, but he shaved. He didn't have any gray or anything in Convergence/L&C, so it kind of makes sense that he looks young. After all, he probably doesn't age anywhere near as quickly as a human.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Stupid question, but that preview is the black-garb wearing other Superman, right, and not his son somehow aged?

I thought other Supes was supposed to be older, seeing him without his beard and young is throwing me off.

He nonchalantly shaves with a mirror and his heat vision in Superman:Rebirth or maybe Action Comics I don't remember which. His son is still like 8.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nonchalantly?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Tomasi's Batman and Robin run. It was a really incredible run, start to finish, and felt like it weaved in a bunch of Morrison's narrative elements at play to more satisfying conclusions post-R.I.P., most notably Inc (and Requiem) but also stuff like Final Crisis.

Really just loved that run from start to finish. Morrison gets all the credit and Snyder gets anything left (and in the latter's case I think it's totally deserved, Morrison was more hit-or-miss than I expected on Batman) but man, what Tomasi did over 40 issues and three specials was really loving incredible. He even had an excellent post-requiem extended arc that lived with Damian's death but still wrung really good stories out of it before verting to the status quo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's worth following it up with Pat Gleason's Robin solo.

e: and Superman too, I'm guessing.

Tomasi and Gleason also did a good run of Green Lantern Corps (and Gleason with Dave Gibbons before Tomasi), if you ever want to check out something GL.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 13, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nonchalantly?

Yeah, I meant "casually and without calling attention to it". Like its something he does all the time. I thought it was funny.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh yeah, Robin: Son of Batman is incredibly fun when it's not being derailed by Robin War. I hope Super Sons can capture half as much good times as that.

New desktop wallpaper found.

Tomasi is really the unsung hero of current day DC writers.

VV "THIS BEARD IS YOU, LEX LUTHOR!! RAAARGH!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was a raging hate-shave.

Travis343 posted:

I thought Final Days and SM/WW were big clunkers. The magic comes out with Gleason in tow.
His new Dark Horse comic, House of Penance is fantastic, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was a raging hate-shave.

What I found hilarious was that shaving his face with lasers and mirror was just something he does hurriedly as he rushes out the door, like grabbing his keys or finding his wallet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

VV "THIS BEARD IS YOU, LEX LUTHOR!! RAAARGH!"

"YAHHHHH I'M SUPERMAN! SEE! SUPERMAN HAS HAIR ON HIS HEAD BUT NOT ON HIS CHIN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Travis343 posted:

Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps books are really good too. The guy writes solid, good comics.