Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I have the 8 piece vim set that's on amazon and have been very happy with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I will now be forever looking for used hospital equipment so I can get one of these:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I will now be forever looking for used hospital equipment so I can get one of these:

You're looking for a Mayo Stand. They're not that pricey new, if that interests you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Nice! It came up in our equipment list as a surgical stand and I couldn't get one for under $75, but now that I see one at $50 I may actually get it. I like the idea of it right over the fender ya know?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
gently caress, I don't have space to store stuff like that right now, but I really want one. Probably need an extra tall version to clear my Jeep's fenders, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Height's extendable on the ones I've seen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Home Depot has the FLIR One for Apple/Android on sale today for $199. That's a great buy for a great tool/toy. This is the second generation with improved resolution. I have the first generation and it's fantastically useful and fun.

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...1210757&cj=true

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meatpimp posted:

Home Depot has the FLIR One for Apple/Android on sale today for $199. That's a great buy for a great tool/toy. This is the second generation with improved resolution. I have the first generation and it's fantastically useful and fun.

http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...1210757&cj=true

What kind of range does a sensor like that have?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

What kind of range does a sensor like that have?

Temperature range or distance?

For mine, with distance it can resolve temperatures of individual components on a motherboard and can also show temperature variances from the insulation/studs at the top of an 18' wall when I'm standing on the ground.

With temperature, it can go below freezing, but stops at ~220*F.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meatpimp posted:

Temperature range or distance?

For mine, with distance it can resolve temperatures of individual components on a motherboard and can also show temperature variances from the insulation/studs at the top of an 18' wall when I'm standing on the ground.

With temperature, it can go below freezing, but stops at ~220*F.

Distance. Like what if you were at a campground -- could you see a deer in the woods 100ft away if some parts of its body had line of sight to the camera?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

They're the same price at Amazon if you have Prime or don't get taxed: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5PRY52/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CloFan posted:

They're the same price at Amazon if you have Prime or don't get taxed: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W5PRY52/
And amazon isn't known for supporting Trump, so there's that, if you're into it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CloFan posted:

Yep, amazon changed its price in response ... so pick your preferred vendor!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Going to get the Android one, thanks for the heads up.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Distance. Like what if you were at a campground -- could you see a deer in the woods 100ft away if some parts of its body had line of sight to the camera?

I don't know at that kind of range, the FLIR One uses the built-in camera to superimpose an outline of the objects in view... in darkness you wouldn't have that, it'd be a low-res blob of color, but I don't know if it would register or not.

Here's a video that shows the user cycling through the overlays with animals at distance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_S8HhAGSo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
HF is having a decent sale right now. I picked up the Earthquake 1/2" air impact gun for $78, the 1/2" 24" breaker bar for $15, the oscillating tool for $15, a ball peen hammer, the 3lbs drilling hammer, the 1/2" deep impact socket kit in metric ($20!!!), and some other small stuff.
I might have to go back for the SAE impact set.

I am looking for any excuse to use that Earthquake gun. I've had a Husky 1/2" kit gun for a few years and that thing couldn't even break lug nuts loose on its own, ever. Shameful. :(

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the heads up. Just got a compressor so I was looking to pick one up.

Can anyone recommend a good pneumatic DA sander? Was thinking about HF as well but don't mind spending money for a better one.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

I got this a couple of months ago from a buddy cleaning out his dad's shop:

No markings on who made it but it is fully adjustable as to tray height and has socket rails and hooks for open end wrenches. I put a big HF magnet tray on the back while I work on stuff to keep the tray clear for tools. I kind of feel like a surgeon on MASH as I work with it.

I have since cleaned it up and use it a ton. Very handy to take tools from my big box down the driveway to the cars. I want to say I stumbled upon someone who still makes these and they were less than $150.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

EvellSnoats posted:

I got this a couple of months ago from a buddy cleaning out his dad's shop:

No markings on who made it but it is fully adjustable as to tray height and has socket rails and hooks for open end wrenches. I put a big HF magnet tray on the back while I work on stuff to keep the tray clear for tools. I kind of feel like a surgeon on MASH as I work with it.

I have since cleaned it up and use it a ton. Very handy to take tools from my big box down the driveway to the cars. I want to say I stumbled upon someone who still makes these and they were less than $150.

Looks nice, I'd be tempted to strip and paint it because I'm a freak. The mayo stands actually are available as cheap as $50 shipped and the tray part is removable.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Looks nice, I'd be tempted to strip and paint it because I'm a freak. The mayo stands actually are available as cheap as $50 shipped and the tray part is removable.

It cleaned up better than these pics look. I am on vacation, but will take some pics of it when I get back if anyone wants. I am waiting to sandblast and paint when I get a new big box to replace multiple Craftsman boxes. Just need to find the right Craigslist deal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Somebody (probably me) left a leaky tool on the Central Pneumatic 8 gallon air compressor in the workshop on Friday, and it cycled a bunch over Saturday. The oil looks like this now:

Whoopsie daisie. If we broke it, I guess we'll just have to get something nicer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Great news everyone!

I bought my GF a Ryobi power tool for her birthday and called to register it, since my last experience with their warranty without registration went so poorly. It turns out they recently changed the policy and the advertised 3 year warranty on 18V One+ is valid without registering, all you need is an original or high quality copy of your receipt, they recommend you scan or photocopy it because thermal paper fades. AKA a reasonable policy they should have gone with in the first place, better late than never I suppose.

This does not apply to their new 40V outdoor lawn equipment products yet, those still need to be registered.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Anyone have recommendations (or stay away froms) for a decent drill or drill/driver combo? My 18V nicad dewalt is starting to fall apart. Unfortunately, its just out of warranty. DeWalt may fix it on warranty, or they may not, but I have to send it away for 4-6 weeks for repair regardless. So, while I do that, I'm looking to grab a replacement.

There are some decent deals on Bosch and Porter Cable stuff - any good? I'm just a standard "do poo poo at home" guy, not overly hardcore. Lots of light woodworking projects, home renos/repairs and the like.

I'm also Canadian, so HF stuff is out :P I'm fine with spending decent money if the product is good. I'd like to move to lithium ion if I can, but NiCad's fine to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Dear god, don't get NiCad.

The usual recommendations apply: Makita or Milwaukee for high-end wide selection, Bosch if you don't care about the selection (at least in the US, they have a very small group of tools). DeWalt, Hitatchi, or Ridgid for mid-end. Ryobi or equivalent in :canada: for low-end. I'd avoid the crap from Canadian Tire or B&D (which effectively includes Porter-Cable).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

sharkytm posted:

The usual recommendations apply: Makita or Milwaukee for high-end wide selection, Bosch if you don't care about the selection (at least in the US, they have a very small group of tools). DeWalt, Hitatchi, or Ridgid for mid-end. Ryobi or equivalent in :canada: for low-end. I'd avoid the crap from Canadian Tire or B&D (which effectively includes Porter-Cable).

Wasn't going to get a Mastercraft, don't worry :P Cdn Tire carries some of the decent brands, as does Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. I don't need anything fancy/much selection, just a combo is fine. Might grab the Bosch that's on sale at Lowes (https://www.lowes.ca/combo-kits/bosch-clpk26-181-2-tool-18-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-combo-kit_g2491955.html) since it looks decent, and isn't any pricier than a Dewalt set atm.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sharkytm posted:

Seconding this. I really like the 20V Dewalt stuff; since Father's Day is coming up the places around here have it for $99 which is a good deal I think. No idea what deals are available up in the frozen tundra.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Siochain posted:

Wasn't going to get a Mastercraft, don't worry :P Cdn Tire carries some of the decent brands, as does Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. I don't need anything fancy/much selection, just a combo is fine. Might grab the Bosch that's on sale at Lowes (https://www.lowes.ca/combo-kits/bosch-clpk26-181-2-tool-18-volt-lithium-ion-cordless-combo-kit_g2491955.html) since it looks decent, and isn't any pricier than a Dewalt set atm.
MasterCrap!

Bosch stuff is really nice. It's a shame they haven't pursued the market here in the States. Overseas, they have a huge selection. You can find the stuff here, but it's far less selection, and nowhere as common. Home Depot sells it, but I don't recall seeing even a circular saw in-store. Remember, buying into a cordless toolset is an investment if you do it right. I run Makita 18V (of which I've got 5 batteries, 3 chargers, and about a dozen tools), and Milwaukee 12V, which I just started using and only have 3 tools and 2 batteries. So long as Makita keeps doing what they do (making the battery the same for a decade), I'll never need to switch or chase obsolete parts. I can't count how many friends/family members have multiple dead-end batteries or tools. It's a shame that the MFR's don't care more about backwards compatibility. DeWalt did this when they switched from the "18V" system, which had been the same for a LONG time, back to NiCad days, to the "20V" system, which needed new batteries. Way to gently caress over your existing userbase. It took a few years, but they released an adapter to use the new "20V" batteries with the old 18V tools... but you'd need one for each battery or tool at $45 each. That adds up fast if you are like me and often have 3-4 tools in-use at a given time.

Raluek posted:

Seconding this. I really like the 20V Dewalt stuff; since Father's Day is coming up the places around here have it for $99 which is a good deal I think. No idea what deals are available up in the frozen tundra.
You mean "20V", as it's actually 18V like everyone else. :v: DeWalt is decent contractor stuff in my opinion. The problem with the cheap combo kits is they usually have the "compact" or 1.5/2.0Ah batteries, which won't run the bigger tools. Of course, with brushless motors becoming more common, this matters a lot less, but I doubt that kit is for BL tools.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Siochain posted:

Anyone have recommendations (or stay away froms) for a decent drill or drill/driver combo? My 18V nicad dewalt is starting to fall apart. Unfortunately, its just out of warranty. DeWalt may fix it on warranty, or they may not, but I have to send it away for 4-6 weeks for repair regardless. So, while I do that, I'm looking to grab a replacement.

Why not pick up another dewalt? Best case you end up with 2 drivers (always handy), a lithium charger and battery that fits your old drill too. Worst case you bought a new decent lithium drill.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Now that Ryobi One+ has a sane warranty policy I'm 100% in favor of them, TBH. As I've always said, the tools are great and I have no complaints about them, my only beef was being screwed over on warranty and they aren't stupid about that anymore.

I need to find my 18V lead acid charger and charge up my 7Ah beltfed super-One+ pack for a demo sometime, it's junkyarding season here. For that matter maybe I should get A123RC to make me an 18V 7Ah pack to hook to it... I'd rather have LiFePO4 than lead acid anyday, and the lead acids sat uncharged all winter accidentally so they are probably goners.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ordered a couple Makita XWT08 1/2 impacts today.

740 ft.lbs. of Max Torque and 1,180 ft.lbs of breakaway torque

...out of a cordless gun.

This is the golden age my friends, no bolt will remain stuck.

edit: Holding it up, ut's actually smaller than their previous 1/2 impact which only had I think ~320 lbs of torque.

Mcqueen fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 14, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mcqueen posted:

Ordered a couple Makita XWT08 1/2 impacts today.

740 ft.lbs. of Max Torque and 1,180 ft.lbs of breakaway torque

...out of a cordless gun.

This is the golden age my friends, no bolt will remain stuck.

edit: Holding it up, ut's actually smaller than their previous 1/2 impact which only had I think ~320 lbs of torque.

:hfive:

Solid choice, I picked up the XWT02 which has variable torque and is compact beyond belief. I've yet to find a bolt it won't bust out no problem, especially with these five freaking amp hour batteries

http://i.imgur.com/alYMjqE.gif

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hfive:

Solid choice, I picked up the XWT02 which has variable torque and is compact beyond belief. I've yet to find a bolt it won't bust out no problem, especially with these five freaking amp hour batteries

http://i.imgur.com/alYMjqE.gif

Those are great guns too, I just don't like the clear plastic and rubber piece on the front. They always seem to get banged up and fall off.

...Apparently Makita has found a way to pair the tool to the battery permanently. No details yet, but my rep mentioned all new 4 and 5 AH batts have the technology/design. Really interested to see what they came up with.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
A lil bird told me that there's going to be a sale on Stihl weed whackers this weekend. I'm on break at ups right now and I just unloaded a truck full of them.

Anyone with experience that can recommend one for me? I want a professional grade one, and I think I can do without the kombi system, although it looks real badass.

Would consider kombi system if the leaf blower attachment is good enough to clean out the flowers beds and around the house behind the bushes, I have a Billy GOAT for the yard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

always be closing posted:

Would consider kombi system if the leaf blower attachment is good enough to clean out the flowers beds and around the house behind the bushes, I have a Billy GOAT for the yard.

For a second I thought both of those were Ikea products, not a literal goat

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm buying a house and am in need of an air compressor. Is there any real difference between the 60 gallon vertical single stage models ? Any brands to avoid?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The Billy goat is a big rear end wheeled fan powered by an 8 hp b&s, lol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mcqueen posted:

...Apparently Makita has found a way to pair the tool to the battery permanently. No details yet, but my rep mentioned all new 4 and 5 AH batts have the technology/design. Really interested to see what they came up with.

What do you mean by pair permanently? What would be the advantage?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

always be closing posted:

A lil bird told me that there's going to be a sale on Stihl weed whackers this weekend. I'm on break at ups right now and I just unloaded a truck full of them.

Anyone with experience that can recommend one for me? I want a professional grade one, and I think I can do without the kombi system, although it looks real badass.

I can't speak to the quality of Stihl as I've never used one. They're probably pretty solid, though. Whatever you do, get a straight shaft and not a curved shaft. They're easier on the back by a significant margin.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

What do you mean by pair permanently? What would be the advantage?
Probably the same advantage as all the pairing of vehicle components to a given VIN or car.

Some extra security, quite a bit of extra hassle to anyone meddling later, even legitimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Siochain posted:

I have that kit and am very pleased with it.