Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Pryor on Fire posted:

ahahahhah who am I loving kidding the midwest blows goats.

Where else but Minneapolis can you have access to excellent theater, great music, four (soon to be five) pro sports leagues, a strong economy AND live on a houseboat in the middle of a frozen river with a temp of -20 during January (assuming your walls are sturdy enough to prevent the -60 wind chill breeze). Truly paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Haifisch posted:

I live in the midwest! I grew up here! I know that all that stuff is cool, but I also have experience with moderately sized midwestern cities that are still boring to me. I'll admit part of it's culture fit, but that doesn't invalidate what I said.

The midwestern cities I would recommend are more along the lines of Milwaukee, Madison, or Ann Arbor(which really is a small city), but that's just me. Hell, even Chicago's okay if you don't mind somewhere more expensive.

As someone who fled Milwaukee upon graduation for a coast city-- isn't Milwaukee a sad, dying rust-belt city hanging onto the handful of insurance/health care firms that have yet to relocate?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Minneapolis is probably the best big city in the USA in terms of what it offers (except access to mountains but its paddling access makes up for it) and it pulls that off by being one of the coldest major metros in the world so it'll never get overcrowded and too expensive.

It's crazy going from Chicago to other large Midwest cities like msp, stl, etc and they're all half the price for everything. And Chicago's way cheaper than the coasts

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

moana posted:

what's your favorite restaurant to go to for sushi, Applebees or Hometown Buffet?

Hometown buffet is mostly in the big coastal cities and Chicago area, we don't have those in Oklahoma. Tokyo Japanese restaurant is great though. There is in fact plenty of terrible white people food and lots of awesome food in pretty much all of the cities with more than half a million people.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Midwestern cities are cool if you are a white person. If you are not white you either have to make a lot of money to be "accepted" enough to live in white people neighborhoods or are relegated to your own ethnically conscious ghetto if you are lower income.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Where does Florida rank on the "coastal elites" scale? Technically we're on a coast but it seems like everyone acknowledges (correctly) that we are a garbage state filled with garbage people.

While I'm asking, where does New Jersey rank? It has the same lovely state reputation as us, but is also a coastal elite paradise?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

fits my needs posted:

Midwestern cities are cool if you are a white person. If you are not white you either have to make a lot of money to be "accepted" enough to live in white people neighborhoods or are relegated to your own ethnically conscious ghetto if you are lower income.

Uhhhh that's a feature of all American cities

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Not all. In Seattle and San Francisco being poor isn't even an option.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

WampaLord posted:

While I'm asking, where does New Jersey rank? It has the same lovely state reputation as us, but is also a coastal elite paradise?

Speaking as someone from the mid-Atlantic region, Jersey is seen as a suburb of NYC, and then a bunch of northern rednecks as you get further away from that part of the state. Like a cross between Long Island and Ohio.

All the truly elite from that region are presumed to have moved into NYC already

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

WampaLord posted:

Where does Florida rank on the "coastal elites" scale? Technically we're on a coast but it seems like everyone acknowledges (correctly) that we are a garbage state filled with garbage people.

depends on where in jersey you are

More specifically, your distance to NYC, with Newark being a notable exception.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Not all. In Seattle and San Francisco being poor isn't even an option.

Lol true

p.s. good new av renegret

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I live in Dallas but spend a lot of time in Oklahoma City for work. Sure, it's cheap but there's so many loving problems with that terrible state that I don't think anyone other than middle class males enjoy living there.

It's a felony to get almost all abortions (sorry women), they're closing public schools left and right because of low tax revenues (sorry poor rural communities), and while the state legislature can reduce taxes with a 50%+1 majority, it takes a super-majority to raise taxes (sorry again poor people).

At least the gender wage gap is narrowing (because Oil and Gas are laying off high paying jobs left and right).

The best part about Oklahoma is getting on I-35 and heading to the relative paradise of Texas. When Texas is a paradise compared to your state, you know that your state is poo poo.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Minneapolis is probably the best big city in the USA in terms of what it offers (except access to mountains but its paddling access makes up for it) and it pulls that off by being one of the coldest major metros in the world so it'll never get overcrowded and too expensive.

It's crazy going from Chicago to other large Midwest cities like msp, stl, etc and they're all half the price for everything. And Chicago's way cheaper than the coasts

“It’s so cold, it keeps the bad people out”
-Prince

We actually had a pretty warm winter this year, lakes froze over enough for ice fishing and would have been bad for houseboats, but I didn't look at the Mississippi to see what it looked like. Probably also would have been bad for houseboats.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

Lol true

p.s. good new av renegret

I've got one too many b's but I don't want to pay $5 to fix it :(

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Leviathan Song posted:

Hometown buffet is mostly in the big coastal cities and Chicago area, we don't have those in Oklahoma.
I have lived in the Chicago area most of my life and don't think I've ever seen a Hometown Buffet.

Just Old Country Buffet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah Oklahoma City sucks. If I was forced at gunpoint to live in that state again, Norman is alright.

Actually, forced at gunpoint (or under threat of violence from the US Government) is the origin story of how a lot of people ended up there (Indian Territory, military installations)

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
According to yelp, there are no Korean restaurants in Des Moines so I don't understand how people can live there.

Though it is really depressing to compare West LA zillow to Des Moines zillow :prepop:.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

gvibes posted:

I have lived in the Chicago area most of my life and don't think I've ever seen a Hometown Buffet.

Just Old Country Buffet.

same thing, same company, different name

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I live in Madison WI. Cost of living is great, quality of life is pretty good in the summer. It still takes a while to get used to the winter, but you start to like it after a while. Missed the cold when I lived out in Boulder. We'd probably live in Minneapolis if we didn't like our jobs here so much. No desire to move to either coast, though I certainly see the appeal! Even Chicago is a bit much for me, we visit pretty frequently as my in laws live there. I'm coming up on 30 with kids on the horizon which probably gives me bit of a different perspective.

Oh wait sorry I should probably go kill myself because I don't live on a coast hellllppppp meeeee

A donation of BWM stories so this just isn't me arguing for Midwest supremacy:

https://m.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4nvxbq/at_a_loss_i_need_advicehelp/

Long story short: never do buy a house (especially when you only have 25k coming in a year)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

marchantia posted:

I'm coming up on 30 with kids on the horizon which probably gives me bit of a different perspective.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. People live in Chicago and in the coasts and have kids, otherwise they wouldn't be so populous.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Not sure what this has to do with anything. People live in Chicago and in the coasts and have kids, otherwise they wouldn't be so populous.

They prob just mean that the things important to you when you have kids are different than the things important to you when you're single or DINK. Anecdotally, I think there is some validity to that viewpoint. More than one couple I know started off in SF or Chicago or NYC or DC and loved it, but then moved somewhere less exciting and with better salary:COL ratio when they decided to start a family. I definitely wouldn't go back to living in downtown Seattle now with a baby on the way.

A lot of my friends are graduating and all the single ones care a lot about going to a nice coastal city afterwards, those already married and planning kids care much less.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rurutia posted:

They prob just mean that the things important to you when you have kids are different than the things important to you when you're single or DINK. Anecdotally, I think there is some validity to that viewpoint. More than one couple I know started off in SF or Chicago or NYC or DC and loved it, but then moved somewhere less exciting and with better salary:COL ratio when they decided to start a family. I definitely wouldn't go back to living in downtown Seattle now with a baby on the way.

A lot of my friends are graduating and all the single ones care a lot about going to a nice coastal city afterwards, those already married and planning kids care much less.

That's a great anecdote but it's not strictly true as the fact remains there are a lot of people with young kids who live in those areas despite the high costs. It's perfectly fine to not want to live in an area with as much going on or as many people, but it's silly to say it's because you have/are planning to have kids; that implicitly says everyone having kids in those areas are irresponsible or childish when there are plenty of pros for the parents and kids in those areas (and cons as well, like I said it's a preference thing).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BWM: cosigning and ending up owing 35k on an 18k car...then considering rolling that debt into another car because hey, why not.

Reddit posted:

A friend basically got scammed by a family member and ended up cosigning on a car. The family member has stopped paying after the first month. The loan is 35k @ ~12% APR, ~700-800 per month for 71 more months, and the dealership has offered to take the car back for 18k. What's going to be the best way to fix this? The family member can't qualify for their own loan to take my friend's name of the loan. She doesn't want the car because it would be about 50k after it's finally paid off, and frankly, it's a terrible car. Selling the car privately might get her 16k. The other option is eating the 17k loss (after selling back to the dealer for 18k), but that's money she doesn't have. What's the chance a bank will loan that? Would they do it rolled over into a different car? Any other options?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

That's a great anecdote but it's not strictly true as the fact remains there are a lot of people with young kids who live in those areas despite the high costs. It's perfectly fine to not want to live in an area with as much going on or as many people, but it's silly to say it's because you have/are planning to have kids; that implicitly says everyone having kids in those areas are irresponsible or childish when there are plenty of pros for the parents and kids in those areas (and cons as well, like I said it's a preference thing).

I'm not saying that people don't have kids in these areas? I'm saying, that I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tendency in people who are actively planning to have kids to prioritize COL:salary ratio much higher than those who are not. They will probably also prioritize family friendly vs 'has lots of awesome bars, great nightlife, etc'.

I think you're projecting the irresponsible or childish part. If I still lived in downtown Seattle, it wouldn't stop me from staying in Seattle. But now that I have a kid on the way, places like Boulder, CO are a viable possibility to me on par with Seattle as a place I'd like to live.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

marchantia posted:

I live in Madison WI. Cost of living is great, quality of life is pretty good in the summer. It still takes a while to get used to the winter, but you start to like it after a while. Missed the cold when I lived out in Boulder. We'd probably live in Minneapolis if we didn't like our jobs here so much. No desire to move to either coast, though I certainly see the appeal! Even Chicago is a bit much for me, we visit pretty frequently as my in laws live there. I'm coming up on 30 with kids on the horizon which probably gives me bit of a different perspective.

Oh wait sorry I should probably go kill myself because I don't live on a coast hellllppppp meeeee

A donation of BWM stories so this just isn't me arguing for Midwest supremacy:

https://m.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4nvxbq/at_a_loss_i_need_advicehelp/

Long story short: never do buy a house (especially when you only have 25k coming in a year)

Uhhh this sounds a LOT like someone I know.

Lived in grandma's house for free for 2 years after she died to "save money". Didn't actually save any money.
Took a job with both spouses working in a tiny mining town paying $200 a month in rent for a mine-owned property housing. Live there for a few years to "save money" due to the huge gap in earnings vs. expenses. Earning $60k from one job, $20k from another job. Decide to move back to their home town.
Husband does not want to continue his $60k job because he doesn't want to work in that industry anymore. He, instead, wants to pursue a career in songwriting. HE IS TERRIBLE AT IT.

The house they moved into? It's a new construction that they had built. Double-oven kitchen, 9 foot doors, vaulted ceilings, upgraded flooring.
They qualified for the loan on that $80k combined income, knowing that once they actually moved their income would drop from $80k guaranteed to $20k plus income from songwriting. Songwriting income over the last 2 years has been negative $8,000, because he paid to have 4 demo tracks produced in a studio.
The house they built is $280k, with 1.5% down. So we're talking a $1,300 monthly payment for principal plus interest. Probably another $250/mo for PMI, and taxes/insurance probably push the total monthly payment over $2,000.
On a monthly gross income of $1,700.
Did I mention they have 4 children, between the ages of 3 and 10?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

marchantia posted:

Missed the cold when I lived out in Boulder.

BMW: Getting frozen by cryogenic chemicals

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

canyoneer posted:

The house they moved into? It's a new construction that they had built. Double-oven kitchen, 9 foot doors, vaulted ceilings, upgraded flooring.
They qualified for the loan on that $80k combined income, knowing that once they actually moved their income would drop from $80k guaranteed to $20k plus income from songwriting. Songwriting income over the last 2 years has been negative $8,000, because he paid to have 4 demo tracks produced in a studio.
The house they built is $280k, with 1.5% down. So we're talking a $1,300 monthly payment for principal plus interest. Probably another $250/mo for PMI, and taxes/insurance probably push the total monthly payment over $2,000.

You can't put a price on dreams :angel:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

BWM: cosigning and ending up owing 35k @ 12% on an 18k car...then considering rolling that debt into another car because hey, why not.

Hell if your credit isn't garbage rolling it into another car at "only" half the interest might be not the worst thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:laffo: hmmm yes my credit is so bad I only qualify for 12% APR. Clearly the best option is to spend over 30k on this purchase. :laffo:

Co-signing auto loans is peak BWM, worse than horses.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

BraveUlysses posted:

:laffo: hmmm yes my credit is so bad I only qualify for 12% APR. Clearly the best option is to spend over 30k on this purchase. :laffo:

Co-signing auto loans is peak BWM, worse than horses.

This is trivially false. Co-signing horse loans strictly dominates co-signing auto loans in BWM terms.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Rurutia posted:

I'm not saying that people don't have kids in these areas? I'm saying, that I wouldn't be surprised if there is a tendency in people who are actively planning to have kids to prioritize COL:salary ratio much higher than those who are not. They will probably also prioritize family friendly vs 'has lots of awesome bars, great nightlife, etc'.

I think you're projecting the irresponsible or childish part. If I still lived in downtown Seattle, it wouldn't stop me from staying in Seattle. But now that I have a kid on the way, places like Boulder, CO are a viable possibility to me on par with Seattle as a place I'd like to live.

Yeah, basically this I guess. I wasn't saying you couldn't have kids anywhere, sort of thought it went without saying that you obviously can?? I want a couple kids, big dog(s), big garden, and these things generally mean less going out and are easier to do in a place you own vs rent. You certainly can find a place to rent anywhere that gives you that flexibility, but you're going to pay for it. I can buy a nice home in this area for 200k, and I would likely be priced out of similar markets in more "desirable" locations, probably in both rental and ownership situations. That's all I meant, I wasn't clear. Procreate anywhere you want, none of my business. Also most people don't share my energetic dog aspirations so there is that to consider as well.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This is trivially false. Co-signing horse loans strictly dominates co-signing auto loans in BWM terms.

You can't eat a car

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

BWM: cosigning and ending up owing 35k on an 18k car...then considering rolling that debt into another car because hey, why not.

Ah, one of the few times "arson" is the best choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomfoolery posted:

You can't eat a car

Bit tough to get to work on a horse in The Year Two Thousand Sixteen.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I mean I'm not trying to say cosigning a horse loan is even peak BWM just worse than cosigning a car loan

Peak BWM would be something like securing an interest only construction loan to build an underground garage for your lamborghini under your ranchboat that you fly studs into for breeding while renting out rooms in the stables on airbnb for weddings only to realize you can't build under your stupid floating horse ranch without a sufficiently advanced saltwater pump that you take out a 401k loan to invest in a saltwater pump startup that's just agreed to a long term contract to supply Apple with their product.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I mean I'm not trying to say cosigning a horse loan is even peak BWM just worse than cosigning a car loan

Peak BWM would be something like securing an interest only construction loan to build an underground garage for your lamborghini under your ranchboat that you fly studs into for breeding while renting out rooms in the stables on airbnb for weddings only to realize you can't build under your stupid floating horse ranch without a sufficiently advanced saltwater pump that you take out a 401k loan to invest in a saltwater pump startup that's just agreed to a long term contract to supply Apple with their product.
I feel like you forgot the wedding.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The airbnb has to be illegal and the houseboat has to be located on a coast 50% of the time and then sailed up the St. Lawrence Seaway to Duluth half the year.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

canyoneer posted:

Oh, my lol.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
re: that AirBnB from a few pages ago. AirBnB is pretty notorious for removing negative reviews from both hosts and guests. Can't have the public thinking negatively about it! It's a $50ish a night place, so I should not have expected much, but it really was terrible. Sure, it's a cool concept that is probably enjoyable for someone young who enjoys the concept of living on a hippie commune, but I should have picked someplace else. I can't find the pictures I took of our room, but it looked like a serial killer's basement.

There was a party going on the whole night basically, and when my girlfriend asked if something could be done about the noise, the owner said we "hosed up by staying there." True, but harsh.

You get what you pay for. I don't mean to sound like too much of a "get off my lawn :argh:" elderly 32 year old so I'll end that there and talk about something BWM I saw at work.

My job is to apply payments from insurance companies for medical treatments my company provides. Often, a check will go from the insurance company to the patient instead of us, so they are required to mail that to us. Sometimes they cash them and we have to collect.

This one patient received a $17,000 check a few months ago, cashed it, spent all of it, and now doesn't have any money to pay us. They will probably pay $25 a month until, well..

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

canyoneer posted:

Uhhh this sounds a LOT like someone I know.

Lived in grandma's house for free for 2 years after she died to "save money". Didn't actually save any money.
Took a job with both spouses working in a tiny mining town paying $200 a month in rent for a mine-owned property housing. Live there for a few years to "save money" due to the huge gap in earnings vs. expenses. Earning $60k from one job, $20k from another job. Decide to move back to their home town.
Husband does not want to continue his $60k job because he doesn't want to work in that industry anymore. He, instead, wants to pursue a career in songwriting. HE IS TERRIBLE AT IT.

Is there a reason why homeboy couldn't have written songs on the weekend and when he's home from work until the career takes off and then cast off the shackles of the salt mines to become the Paul Simon that he knows he is in his heart?

I never get people who quit careers/jobs to "become" something they could have done as a hobby while working.

• Locked thread