Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

evobatman posted:

I don't know anything about that one in specific, but just googling it and spending 30 seconds separating the more useful reviews from the marketing materials makes it seem like a very nice player. Everybody loves Marantz, and CD playback hasn't had any signifcant progresses or breakthroughs in the last 20 years, so most likely it'll be at least equally good compared with any other CD player out there, and probably better than the vast majority of them in any area that can be quantified.

And hey, I think it looks cool!

Thanks. One more question, do you use generic RCA cables, or high end ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

I had heard a lot of good things about mixing the grapefruit and the habanero 50/50, but I didn't think it was that great. Might do it for people who want to kill the heat a bit, though.

Hmm, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the heads up.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Android Bicyclist posted:

Nearby Russian grocery store had a whole wall of canned fishes. Picked up 5 different offerings; don't know how these are but there's only one way to find out.

Best post in a while. Random canned fish are fun to try :)

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Just picked up an iPad Mini 4 to replace my Nexus 7. It's really starting to show its age (stutters when trying to run some of the newer games) and the battery drains really fast even when I'm not using it. Manufacturers aren't really making nice tablets that size these days, so even though I don't really like iOS I think an iPad is my best option. I've had it for literally four days and there's already a dent in it because some rear end in a top hat at a party we hosted over the weekend knocked my day bag off the chair it was sitting on and spilled all my stuff over our hard kitchen floor. Nobody would admit to it :( Kind of kicking myself for not buying the Apple Care plan now...

I ordered a BookBook case for it, which should be delivered tomorrow. A little too late.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Solid Cake posted:

Just picked up an iPad Mini 4 to replace my Nexus 7. It's really starting to show its age (stutters when trying to run some of the newer games) and the battery drains really fast even when I'm not using it. Manufacturers aren't really making nice tablets that size these days, so even though I don't really like iOS I think an iPad is my best option. I've had it for literally four days and there's already a dent in it because some rear end in a top hat at a party we hosted over the weekend knocked my day bag off the chair it was sitting on and spilled all my stuff over our hard kitchen floor. Nobody would admit to it :( Kind of kicking myself for not buying the Apple Care plan now...

I ordered a BookBook case for it, which should be delivered tomorrow. A little too late.

AppleCare wouldn't have covered accidents like that unless you got a very generous employee (which can happen sometimes). It's an extended warranty, not insurance. Not sure if that makes you feel better though :shrug:.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Solid Cake posted:

That's like yesterday I bought a new bowling ball:

And the second game I used it in the ball return machine knocked a huge chunk out of it. It doesn't affect how it rolls but still. It's my second game and it's got a chunk out of it like the lovely house balls have lol.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ShadeofBlue posted:

AppleCare wouldn't have covered accidents like that unless you got a very generous employee (which can happen sometimes). It's an extended warranty, not insurance. Not sure if that makes you feel better though :shrug:.

Applecare for iPad covers accidents with a $50 deductible. You need to buy it before the accident so too late now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They don't know when it happened :ssh:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I just came back from the evening farmer's market with a peach and 10oz of chia seeds. Disappointing peach. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

taqueso posted:

They don't know when it happened :ssh:

You have to buy it either at the time of purchasing the iPad or you have to bring it into an Applestore where a tech guy inspects it first before selling it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

Not yet but I'm thinking about buying a small booze cart and then stocking it with very mediocre liquor.

I'd love to make one myself but I don't have the right tools.

Nah, what you need is a
liquor globe

[/url]

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nah, what you need is a
liquor globe

[/url]

Yeah totally but most of the ones I have seen photograph well but are actual dogshit that falls apart. Unless I want to drop a couple grand on a fancy table to hold my $12 gin.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just store your loving alcohol in your stomach, like a real person.

Christ.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nah, what you need is a
liquor globe

[/url]

Does anyone have this? What is the quality like? I've seriously been looking for something like this for a LONG time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

VendaGoat posted:

Just store your loving alcohol in your stomach, like a real person.

Christ.

Not all of us are professional drunk hockey watchers

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Not all of us are professional drunk hockey watchers

Elevate yourself from amateur status.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nah, what you need is a
liquor globe

[/url]

God I need this kind of class in my life. https://www.bar-globes.com/shop/classic-collection/historic-bar-globe-atlas/

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Android Bicyclist posted:

Nearby Russian grocery store had a whole wall of canned fishes. Picked up 5 different offerings; don't know how these are but there's only one way to find out.

Nice find, friend. Be sure to consume them with buttered whitebread, it is best.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trip report of some of the things I picked up and arrived today:

First, the rice cooker is rad as all get out. I made some forbidden rice and kidney beans (fiberrrrrrrrr) in it. I dropped in 18floz of beans and 36oz of water and set it to simmer for 90 minutes. I think it needs 2n+1 units of water for each unit of beans, but they came out alright after I finished them on the stove with some onions and peppers.

The brown rice setting worked great for my esoteric taste in staples, and the texture was quite good.

Fit and finish is good, I really dig the press-release lid and it keeps all the goodness on the inside. I'm excited to check out the steamer. One of my favorite parts, though, compared to crappy rice cookers is that you can just turn it off rather than needing to unplug it from the wall every time.

The Xtar U1 6 port USB recharging hub was also an excellent purchase. I use Xtar chargers to recharge my Li Ion cells for my sick :catdrugs:, cybernetic fellatio devices, mouth fedoras, what have you so I know they have a great reputation. With 2.4 amps per port, my USB-C connected phone recharged quickly as do all my various and sundry electronics. I'm very happy with it, and it has a decently small profile. And I don't have a surge protector cluttered with ugly wall warts. Definitely going to be my travel companion.

Lastly, the Sennheiser HD 518 headphones have been great. They're an excellent contrast to my closed-back studio monitor profile headphones that I've been using for the last year (Audio Technica ATH M40X). Having an open soundstage and favoring bass frequencies has been really really cool. I don't think they're better, just different. For instance, the bass on a lot of my songs can be overpowering, but it does a great job on a lot of rock, which I hadn't expected.

They're very comfortable, too. The padding is light and well-suited for long listening sessions (or sitting at your desk for 14 hours a day like I'm doing these days). I don't like them as much as the M40Xs for things like podcasts and some YouTube videos because the wider soundstage amplifies echoes and the like, but it's an open rotation now. I'll be checking them out with some other stuff tomorrow.

So far, I am very happy with my purchases now that they are materializing rather than being tracking numbers I F5 constantly.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks. One more question, do you use generic RCA cables, or high end ones?

Generics. Use Monoprice, or similar quality if you're not in the US. High-end stuff is nice to play with, but only if you do like I do and get it at thrift stores, flea markets and from little old widows who haven't touched their husbands stereo since he passed away, but now needs the space for their yarn collection.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I'm probably buying a backpack from Mission Workshop. I'm going to also get a packable backpack, to put inside my backpack. I'm also buying a portable battery from Anker, and some cables from Fuse Chicken; Anker seems to have good QC, and Fuse Chicken claim that their cables are indestructible.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nah, what you need is a
liquor globe

[/url]

My uncle gave me one of these since he had no use for it. It owns, of course.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

nocal posted:

I'm probably buying a backpack from Mission Workshop.

Good choice. I've had mine for 3 years and aside from dog hair clinging to it it looks brand new. I wish it were a little less lumpy when full, but all messengers that shape/size are so I can't fault it for that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the Mission Workshop Sanction backpack and it's a sweat magnet. Wear it for 30 minutes and your back is completely drenched. It has absolutely no ventilation whatsoever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ordered. Now lets see if I don't regret it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You and your bro are going to be able to charge your JO crystals in record time man, congratulations!

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

At the very least, you will be be the coolest kid in your Neuromancer reenactment club.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

the youtube game reviews make it look like a bad idea

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Having tried most of the VR, the Vive is up there. You'll be happy with it. Try the 3D painting

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I bought some tactical bacon

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Is that what it looks like before they stuff it in a can and it congeals into a greasy meat lump?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

drat over $20 for a 9oz can of bacon?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

flosofl posted:

Is that what it looks like before they stuff it in a can and it congeals into a greasy meat lump?

it looks like the oscar meyer stuff but packed into a can, so it's got the paper between the bacon

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

drat over $20 for a 9oz can of bacon?

yeah but it's made by a gun company so it's extra tactical and good

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Why?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Doomsday preppers and tacti-dads only trust gun companies

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I bought an apartment.

Also stuff to put in said apartment:
Couch:

Bed:

Table:

Various IKEA TV furniture for my new Sony TV - which looks like a TV.

Also Klipsh RF82 Mk 1 speakers;

I also made reservations to go sleep, eat and climb here with 9 friends for my birthday:

None of these are my pics, btw, if that wasn't obvious.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If I were to buy this (I won't), it would be just as a novelty item to sit on my desk at work and never actually be opened.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Bought 30 grams worth of shorts for $30. Hope they don't look ridiculous.

Not my photo, though I do have a pink Bic lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Which table is that?