Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

SneakyFrog posted:

im gonna get you a "no fatties" shirt for your dog.

do you even fetch bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Some of you need to chill the hell out, being informed that your chunky dog is chunky is not a judgement on your moral character. The dog in question is obviously overweight, even accounting for everything listed. I also own an 11 year old pit mix with lots of loose skin. If she had a layer of fat obscuring her ribs and muscle tone that much, I'd cut her food and treats back for a while, then adjust accordingly. That's all it takes.

Edit: For reference, my old lady. Shar pei/pit mix, so her skin is quite loose in the same places as your dog. She also has bilateral hip dysplasia and arthritis. The first photo is of her at "average" fitness, the second is her at her ideal weight (it's a crap photo but it shows her body condition fairly well for a phone shot). There are five pounds difference between the photos. It is extremely important to be realistic about your dog's condition, especially in a senior dog, where even a few extra pounds can cause discomfort or even pain. Weight management not only doable for these dogs, it's critical.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 13, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So when are we getting the fit pets thread?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tsyni posted:

Hard to take this seriously with your delicious cake avatar. Does your dog eat cake as well?

so uhhh this post is neutral and informative, huh?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
p sure we had one a while back but iirc it kinda died because theres only so many times you can post "update: still jacked" without getting bored

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

p sure we had one a while back but iirc it kinda died because theres only so many times you can post "update: still jacked" without getting bored

that sounds kinda creepy to be honest

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
you seem cranky maybe you should get someone to burp you

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

you seem cranky maybe you should get someone to burp you

go burp your jacked as gently caress dog you big weirdo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Heavy Petting › The Puppy & Dog Owner Thread: Go burp your jacked as gently caress dog you big weirdo

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Ausrotten posted:

do you even fetch bro

Wheats posted:

Some of you need to chill the hell out, being informed that your chunky dog is chunky is not a judgement on your moral character. The dog in question is obviously overweight, even accounting for everything listed. I also own an 11 year old pit mix with lots of loose skin. If she had a layer of fat obscuring her ribs and muscle tone that much, I'd cut her food and treats back for a while, then adjust accordingly. That's all it takes.

Edit: For reference, my old lady. Shar pei/pit mix, so her skin is quite loose in the same places as your dog. She also has bilateral hip dysplasia and arthritis. The first photo is of her at "average" fitness, the second is her at her ideal weight (it's a crap photo but it shows her body condition fairly well for a phone shot). There are five pounds difference between the photos. It is extremely important to be realistic about your dog's condition, especially in a senior dog, where even a few extra pounds can cause discomfort or even pain. Weight management not only doable for these dogs, it's critical.

Wow, ok, neither of you really have a place to comment on whether or not a dog is overweight. Something that I've noticed with a lot of American dog owners is that, much as with the human population, they have an incredibly skewed perspective of what does and does not constitute an overweight dog. I mean, I guess it's understandable since none of you will have really been exposed to what a dog at a healthy weight looks like in your day to day lives, but it's important to look at what's recommended outside of the US as well to get a more accurate view of what is actually healthy beyond the image being pushed by dog food companies.

This is what a not-overweight dog actually looks like, Kluliss. Please disregard those other examples, as they are kind of chubby.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

Wow, ok, neither of you really have a place to comment on whether or not a dog is overweight. Something that I've noticed with a lot of American dog owners is that, much as with the human population, they have an incredibly skewed perspective of what does and does not constitute an overweight dog. I mean, I guess it's understandable since none of you will have really been exposed to what a dog at a healthy weight looks like in your day to day lives, but it's important to look at what's recommended outside of the US as well to get a more accurate view of what is actually healthy beyond the image being pushed by dog food companies.

This is what a not-overweight dog actually looks like, Kluliss. Please disregard those other examples, as they are kind of chubby.

Your dog looks like a loving whale. It's disgustingly obese and if anyone doesn't have a place to be talking it's you.

This is what a proper dog should look like:

The ridges on the spine help it run faster.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your dog looks like a loving whale. It's disgustingly obese and if anyone doesn't have a place to be talking it's you.

This is what a proper dog should look like:

The ridges on the spine help it run faster.

He's pet weight and not racing weight, ok!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

He's pet weight and not racing weight, ok!

get him a rabbit he'll be in good weight fast

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Kluliss posted:

I have reduced her food by half a cup (british, so a cup is an arbitrary unit holding approximately 1/4 of her daily food allowance.) she now gets 75% of the food she was getting before, which was the amount on the bag for a 15kg dog.

Hopefully she'll cope with the change without yelling at me because she's hungry.

Hey just to pick up on this a lil, definitely never go off of bag recommendations lol

My collie bitch weighs about 18kg iirc. She gets 3/4 of a cup twice a day (1 & 1/2 cups total). My entire collie male weighs about 19kg and gets 2 cups of food twice a day (4 cups total) plus wet food. If I went off of the bag weights Theo wouldn't be able to eat all his food (he struggles with what he gets and that just about keeps him looking non skeletal) and Kalli would be very fat. Which would be bad for her as she has OCD in her shoulder and weight and exercise management is key to keeping her happy and healthy. The collids get the same amount of exercise most days - e.g. 45 min in morn and 1 to 1.5hr in eve - though some days bc of Kalli's OCD she misses a walk, and if I go to agility training I don't take her etc.

People tend to be v negative if you point out even in the nicest of ways that their dog is overweight. It's not a failing on your behalf. My old dog (staffie x beagle who lived for food) was hard to manage with her food for a long time until I finally realised you should just full on ignore bag recommendations. I don't even use them as a starting point, I just feed my dogs the amount that keeps them looking good. Even though staffies tend to be pretty barrelly, a staff/cross in good condition is REALLY noticeable. On a thin coated dog like a staff they actually get a lot of comments re starving your dog (by idiots!) if they are in genuinely good condition so it's hard to balance. At 11 I wouldn't worry about making her into a warrior princess but the less extra weight she carries the better

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

get him a rabbit he'll be in good weight fast

Wouldn't rabbit meat just make him fatter, though?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

Wouldn't rabbit meat just make him fatter, though?

a live one

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
ahhh my sweet, muscular baby...look at how jacked he is.... look at how jacked...hhhe....iss......

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Wha? What would he do with that? He's pretty good with small dogs, do you think having a playmate would make that much of a difference? Wouldn't getting a second dog be better?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
any1 else have a jacked up dog? we're both loving jacked, check these babies out. had to get us a special harness, none of the regular ones fit. apple don't fall far from the tree, am i right?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

any1 else have a jacked up dog? we're both loving jacked, check these babies out. had to get us a special harness, none of the regular ones fit. apple don't fall far from the tree, am i right?

this is my dog he's jacked up

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

Wha? What would he do with that? He's pretty good with small dogs, do you think having a playmate would make that much of a difference? Wouldn't getting a second dog be better?

I know someone who has a rabbit up your way that you could probably use the next time it escapes.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Dyna Soar posted:

ahhh my sweet, muscular baby...look at how jacked he is.... look at how jacked...hhhe....iss......

please do not masturbate to my dog, friend

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

please do not masturbate to my dog, friend

not yr friend, buddy

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Fraction posted:

Hey just to pick up on this a lil, definitely never go off of bag recommendations lol

My collie bitch weighs about 18kg iirc. She gets 3/4 of a cup twice a day (1 & 1/2 cups total). My entire collie male weighs about 19kg and gets 2 cups of food twice a day (4 cups total) plus wet food. If I went off of the bag weights Theo wouldn't be able to eat all his food (he struggles with what he gets and that just about keeps him looking non skeletal) and Kalli would be very fat. Which would be bad for her as she has OCD in her shoulder and weight and exercise management is key to keeping her happy and healthy. The collids get the same amount of exercise most days - e.g. 45 min in morn and 1 to 1.5hr in eve - though some days bc of Kalli's OCD she misses a walk, and if I go to agility training I don't take her etc.

People tend to be v negative if you point out even in the nicest of ways that their dog is overweight. It's not a failing on your behalf. My old dog (staffie x beagle who lived for food) was hard to manage with her food for a long time until I finally realised you should just full on ignore bag recommendations. I don't even use them as a starting point, I just feed my dogs the amount that keeps them looking good. Even though staffies tend to be pretty barrelly, a staff/cross in good condition is REALLY noticeable. On a thin coated dog like a staff they actually get a lot of comments re starving your dog (by idiots!) if they are in genuinely good condition so it's hard to balance. At 11 I wouldn't worry about making her into a warrior princess but the less extra weight she carries the better

That's fair enough - like I say I have cut her food down and am going to get her the good food she had before as soon as I've been paid (she was in better condition with it and less farty, just sucks when money dries up and I can't afford to get her usual food because it's twice as much as the next half-decent stuff :/) and yeah, you have great / energetic dogs Fraction, I have a lazy shitbarrel but yes, she could be thinner as after looking at pictures of 'ideal' weight dogs I can see that she does have more fat than she needs, so I will continue adjusting her food until she's looking better. I may record the screaming banshee she'll become because she'll be perpetually hungry and find a way of making it repeat at full volume through some goon speakers though :P

Honestly though, if it was said in a 'do you mind if we discuss your dog's weight' way, I'd have gone 'sure, does she look fat?' and tried harder to find a better picture of her. I am not unreasonable unless people don't bother with common courtesy, I'm British, don't you know... :shrug:

And yes, looking at pictures of 'ideal' weight dogs I can see that she does have more fat than she needs, so I will continue adjusting her food until she's looking better. I may record the screaming banshee she'll become because she'll be perpetually hungry and find a way of making it repeat at full volume through all goon speakers though :P

Guess I'd better stock up on the industrial earplugs again >.<

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I know someone who has a rabbit up your way that you could probably use the next time it escapes.

I don't think our fencing is good enough to be able to keep a pet rabbit. :<

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Kluliss posted:

That's fair enough - like I say I have cut her food down and am going to get her the good food she had before as soon as I've been paid (she was in better condition with it and less farty, just sucks when money dries up and I can't afford to get her usual food because it's twice as much as the next half-decent stuff :/) and yeah, you have great / energetic dogs Fraction, I have a lazy shitbarrel but yes, she could be thinner as after looking at pictures of 'ideal' weight dogs I can see that she does have more fat than she needs, so I will continue adjusting her food until she's looking better. I may record the screaming banshee she'll become because she'll be perpetually hungry and find a way of making it repeat at full volume through some goon speakers though :P

Honestly though, if it was said in a 'do you mind if we discuss your dog's weight' way, I'd have gone 'sure, does she look fat?' and tried harder to find a better picture of her. I am not unreasonable unless people don't bother with common courtesy, I'm British, don't you know... :shrug:

And yes, looking at pictures of 'ideal' weight dogs I can see that she does have more fat than she needs, so I will continue adjusting her food until she's looking better. I may record the screaming banshee she'll become because she'll be perpetually hungry and find a way of making it repeat at full volume through all goon speakers though :P

good way to avoid her melting down over less food is to replace part of her kibble with high fiber veggies. it'll fill her up without adding much in the way of calories

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
im not sorry i said shes fat tho

she fat

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I like to trick mine by putting a tiny amount of kibble in the bowl and then spreading the rest between multiple puzzle toys, because dogs are bad at judging quantities.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
berate her about her grotesque form until she develops a complex, like you would with a child

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PartyCrown posted:

I don't think our fencing is good enough to be able to keep a pet rabbit. :<

It's not a pet :twisted:

If another picture is posted of that disgustingly obese whale dog something is going to happen in this thread.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's not a pet :twisted:

If another picture is posted of that disgustingly obese whale dog something is going to happen in this thread.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at.

Ausrotten, seriously, you're not one to talk. The GSD you posted as an example of a dog in good condition is very tubby and borderline obese, though I've heard that black GSDs tend to run to fat. Maybe a white one would better suit your lifestyle?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

PartyCrown posted:

black GSDs tend to run to fat

no, fat dogs CAN'T run, jesus christ read the thread before replying

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know it's a dog. You don't need to call it a "German Shepherd Dog."

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Kluliss posted:

Sorry for being defensive when a random internet person went 'hey your dog's really fat' with no preamble [snip]

If you want an echo chamber of positive feedback, stay on Facebook hth

Kluliss posted:

Maybe, Ausrotten, instead of just going 'wow that's fat' you could consider that the dog's owner might not respond the way you want (unless you want to piss people off) and consider saying something like 'can I ask about your dog's weight as she's showing signs of being somewhat tubby'...y'know, consideration for other people is a nice trait. You might not mind being spoken to that way, but I can think of a lot of people who'd consider the way you said that very rude.

Guys stop being such meanie pants on the something awful dot com forums. May I direct you to the various furmommy pet forums that will hold your hands and dance around the topic for a page?

Who am I kidding, they'd think the dog was at a great weight because people have a poo poo concept of what a fat dog looks like.

Look at this fat gently caress:

:3:

FogHelmut posted:

I know it's a dog. You don't need to call it a "German Shepherd Dog."

I had a friend get mad at me for using the term GSD unironically :psyduck:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

That was polite. :) The way you pouted and said how we SHOULD HAVE approached it is so far past Brit politeness it's bordering on hand holding a child. Sorry you heard something mildly unpleasant. Just as your dog does not care about her own past, we don't either. Aus stated a fact based on a picture in the present, yes your dog is fat.Is it a cute picture? Sure. She's also fat.

My dog has gotten fat, I even asked the vet to reweigh him before. Yup, he was a tubbo that gained 5 lbs, which is a LOT for a 24 lb doggo and I cut his food down but I'm also very good at ignoring the pitiful faces when they say they are hungry. She screams? Time out in another room or something, I don't put up with that poo poo. vOv I have thumbs and they do not, so they can't get any more food. Exercise is nice and rewarding for the dog, but food, just like in people, is probably 80% of the battle anyway. Never trust the bag, it would have me feeding my dogs around 2 cups a day when they get maybe 3/4 of a cup.

Good luck with that skin tag. Hope she makes a fast recovery.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Kluliss posted:

Do you mind if I tell you your dog is fat, lumpy, and that if you don't want to hear it you can crawl into any other fur mom forum on the internet and piss off?

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My dog has had diarrhea for about a day now and it's finally calming down enough for me to feed her. Most places suggest plain white rice and chicken breast, but the chicken allergy is what got us into this situation. Would plain lean ground beef be an acceptable thing to feed while her stomach is recovering?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
god you fuckos. I'm just going to post pictures of all my fatass dogges just to spite you meatheads.

buckets of lard posing on an easychair:

Fat puppy on pillow on couch:

squidtarts posted:

My dog has had diarrhea for about a day now and it's finally calming down enough for me to feed her. Most places suggest plain white rice and chicken breast, but the chicken allergy is what got us into this situation. Would plain lean ground beef be an acceptable thing to feed while her stomach is recovering?

make sure its cooked and drained prior extra grease isnt good while on the mend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cocker will be showing up in a few weeks, and we've got a crate, but... well...

At least we'll have plenty of scent on the blanket so she can get used to her new roomie before she arrives. :v:

(No, I don't intend for them to share the crate. The cat has her own basket. I'm not that stupid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

squidtarts posted:

lactose free cottage cheese or a similar lactose free dairy product with rice is ok too.