Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

A lot of schools exist in places where they are bigger than the adjoining town/city. It just makes more sense for them to employ their own public safety officers than rely on the police in their county/town.

In fact, my college's "police" are contracted by the town it's in to respond to 911 calls for the city proper, because they are 30 minutes closer than the nearest sheriffs office.

I understand all that. Penn State and State College did the same thing. There were even some police cars that said State College on one side and Penn State on the other. But...it seems like such a conflict of interest at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you think that's bad don't look up the powers that railroad police have.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

If you think that's bad don't look up the powers that railroad police have.

That one doesn't bother me so much because I'd rather the railroads patrol the railroads rather than have local police wandering around in the woods near railroad tracks.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Now it's hit the texas media people that Baylor hasn't officially fired Briles and can elect to just make it a suspension now, and this wasn't just some twitter fevered dream

So that's neat.

Edit: Poor Ivan Maisel http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15745510/firing-art-briles-sign-increased-standards-college-football

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 13, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sash! posted:

That one doesn't bother me so much because I'd rather the railroads patrol the railroads rather than have local police wandering around in the woods near railroad tracks.

I was referring more to the part where if they get certified as law enforcement officers in one state federal law lets them enforce laws in every state. You're right though its not a bad idea, but it is definitely a 19th century thing.

When I was a freshman at Kentucky during orientation week a UKPD officer came by the dorm for some sort of orientation type thing. He said something along the lines of "The UK police department is the 9th largest in Kentucky and if UK was a city separate from Lexington it'd be the 9th largest city in the state". I forget the actual numbers but they were both top 10 and I believe the same. The other interesting part was that they had county wide jurisdiction (Lexington is a merged city/county) which was less than the metro PD which had state wide jurisdiction (merged city-county means they also act as the sheriffs). The department had detectives for major crimes and had assistant DAs assigned specifically to their department. Major university PDs are effectively the same as municipal departments.

This hasn't come up yet in the Baylor case but the University PD's lack of interest in football cases was a major factor in the Penn State scandal. Since theres always more and its always worse it would not surprise me if Baylor's PD was actively suppressing this. Football is more important than religion in Texas after all.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Kick Baylor out of the B12 and invite Houston.

Baylor can go rot in hell.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
What a sad loving way to repay the legacy of the Ann Richards, who from some accounts, had a lot to do with saving that sorry school's rear end when the SWC was broken up.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You know when it would be a great time to reinstate Briles?

Right now, in the shadow of the orlando shooting

But would they dare?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If Baylor is going to reinstate Briles, they're going to need to present some new, more specific information about the extent of the coaching staff's involvement in all this and make a pretty compelling case for why they weren't out of line. They'll get crucified no matter what, but they need to be sure everything that's going to get out is out before they make this decision.

But that's all irrelevant because there's 0% chance they bring him back (or that he would agree to come back) at this point anyway. You can't hand down punishment and publicly deem him culpable in all of this and then reverse course.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Reportedly there is a vote tonight on bringing him back, and it's gonna be close. I'd definitely take this with a grain of salt but I would not at all put it past them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

rebel1608 posted:

Reportedly there is a vote tonight on bringing him back, and it's gonna be close. I'd definitely take this with a grain of salt but I would not at all put it past them.

Word is that it's going to be delayed.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Word is that it's going to be delayed.

I was going off Waco Tribune, where'd you hear about the delay?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

rebel1608 posted:

I was going off Waco Tribune, where'd you hear about the delay?

E: Maybe too soon?

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Wow, Baylor BOR is totally losing their loving minds even floating the idea of bringing back Briles. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of jerks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Kick Baylor out of the Big 12, bring in UH IMO

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Neil Armbong posted:

What a sad loving way to repay the legacy of the Ann Richards, who from some accounts, had a lot to do with saving that sorry school's rear end when the SWC was broken up.

Most of Texas's recent history has been making GBS threads on the legacy of Ann Richards, so par for the course.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At least our guy had enough remaining dignity to just go off and to the honorable thing and die

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Regnevelc posted:

E: Maybe too soon?

I honestly have no idea what this means but I guess I probably missed something?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BayloRevolution/status/742447448501538816

https://twitter.com/BayloRevolution/status/742494240060510208

I wonder if they're telling recruits that Briles is coming back

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

I wonder if they're telling recruits that Briles is coming back

I'm sure the recruiting creeps on twitter are on the case.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
lmao Baylor gives 0 fucks

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i'm sorry, i don't follow college football all that much. is baylor not moderate rear end at college football

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

v2vian man posted:

i'm sorry, i don't follow college football all that much. is baylor not moderate rear end at college football

They're historically major rear end, but they're really good now, like legit top ten for several seasons on end, which is basically a miracle.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They've had their first real sustained success ever and have spent gonzo dollars on athletic poo poo. The school, BoR and alumni have a vested interest in keeping the rapetrain going.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Scionix posted:

lmao Baylor gives 0 fucks

Baylor doesn't give a gently caress, they only take them.

Also, this old guy.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Caplan/status/742701852387467264

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Let's hope President Hillary Clinton still has sends the ATF/FBI back to Waco

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So are they doing it? They can't actually do it, can they?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

So are they doing it? They can't actually do it, can they?

They can and will and we'll be outraged for a month and nothing will happen. God bless Texas and the USA and footbaw.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

They can and will and we'll be outraged for a month and nothing will happen. God bless Texas and the USA and footbaw.

Won't someone think of the victims?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Baylor regents did not vote Monday night on Briles’ status according to a Baylor spokesman, which probably means they voted no.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Briles is going for mutually-assured destruction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

"The conclusion is inescapable that the motive of Baylor and the Board of Regents was to use its head football coach and the Baylor athletic department as a camouflage to disguise and distract from its own institutional failure to comply" with federal civil rights protections, Cannon wrote to Baylor's attorneys in the latest development in a scandal that has gripped the world's largest Baptist university for months .

Well yes, I guess I have to agree with that. That doesn't mean you weren't hip deep in all of this too though.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
in a stunning twist AFF is hired as Briles' defense

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Scionix posted:

in a stunning twist AFF is hired as Briles' defense

Trolling the prosecution into suicide is certainly an effective strategy, I suppose.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwittCommit/status/743797383037751296

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwittCommit/status/743825611093745666

And also

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwittCommit/status/743824859919089664

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Coach helps cover up rapes, gets $40m. Kid sells his jersey for a few hundred dollars, banned for life

Sounds legit

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress me. $40 million for being a piece of poo poo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I haven't been following the recent drama.

Is the gist of it that the Board of Regeants in basically burying the report doesn't have any proof that they fired Briles with cause, so now they decided they had to pay him off for firing him without cause?

Sucks Briles gets $40m for being a poo poo, but man, gently caress Baylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Basically its $40 million to Briles, or fire Briles for cause and lose all federal funding plus fines from the DoJ for wanton Title IX violations.

• Locked thread