Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Svartvit posted:

Please Obsidian, take Fallout 4 back to the West Coast.

Most of the people that made New Vegas good have left Obsidian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Backhand posted:

Pillars of Eternity and good stronghold in the same sentence?

I didn't bother with the DLC campaign - did they dramatically improve it in that or something? Because I remember stronghold building as being almost as weak as FO4.

Edit: Bah, got beaten to it.

You see, there were things to do in that stronghold and even an amazing dungeon, instead of nothing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Bethesda knows most people are eventually going to ignore the main quest to spend hours loving around, and a system whereby you collect loot to break down to build more settlement stuff is basically the next step. Honestly Fallout 3 would've only been improved by them axing Anchorage and Zeta entirely and just slapping on some random settlement builder DLC, let's not pretend them cutting out the Minecraft bits would have resulted in anything like New Vegas.

Having said that more actual quests, unique NPCs and tangible rewards would be a step in the right direction. I'm not expecting any of that in this contraption DLC but I'm curious to see if the vault has any use beyond loving around.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
One of my best FO4 memories is pissing off the brotherhood of steel and going back to the castle, where 2 BoS vertibirds tried attacking me and O had to fight them off with the minutemen. If there were well-designed encounters like PoE had in the paths instead of spawning in raiders, settlements would be fun to interact with.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Remember the thieves guild quests in Skyrim to build it up into what it once was? Getting all the merchants and poo poo to come back? Something along those lines would have been a lot more engaging, although those particular quests were dumb imo.

See, it's not like Bethesda is incapable of doing this--hell they've done it before

I think I actually liked Far Harbor better than the base game (save for the part where they literally turned the goddamn game into Minecraft :v: )--probably because there were actual things to do in it. They didn't have to waste time on creating the settlement mechanic because it was already there from the base game, so they could actually focus on making the type of engaging content that you would find in a game that is (supposedly) labeled as an RPG.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Remember the thieves guild quests in Skyrim to build it up into what it once was? Getting all the merchants and poo poo to come back? Something along those lines would have been a lot more engaging, although those particular quests were dumb imo.

Yeah, I really would've loved something like that.

Could've even tied it to this upcoming vault DLC. Find a group and help them build up an easy to defend underground stronghold.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been following the main quest of Far Harbor and let me tell you, I'm pretty close of dropping the whole game because of this drat code block minigame.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Bethesda knows most people are eventually going to ignore the main quest to spend hours loving around, and a system whereby you collect loot to break down to build more settlement stuff is basically the next step. Honestly Fallout 3 would've only been improved by them axing Anchorage and Zeta entirely and just slapping on some random settlement builder DLC, let's not pretend them cutting out the Minecraft bits would have resulted in anything like New Vegas.

No one is saying that the focus on lovely Minecraft is what prevented the game from being as good as New Vegas, but I do believe that it would have made for a better game if lovely Minecraft had been eschewed during the brainstorming process and the focus had gone towards all those good things that had already been listed instead. And I don't think Fallout 3 would be improved by lovely Minecraft DLC, but I think it would have been definitively worse if lovely Minecraft had been a major focus of the base game like Fallout 4.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Azazell0 posted:

I've been following the main quest of Far Harbor and let me tell you, I'm pretty close of dropping the whole game because of this drat code block minigame.

I actually liked it aside from the very bad solution to puzzle 5 but that one is optional.

Edit: I can't wait to make the Vault-Tec rep the overseer of my personal vault. I'm very excited to see what tests I can run on people.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 13, 2016

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Azazell0 posted:

I hope whoever came up with that bullshit was fired. It's tedious, unfun, and takes way too long to get through.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's the Fallout 4 equivalent of the dumb purple-lightning-and-bones dimension you have to slog through in Dawnguard.

I felt like it was short enough though. I managed to get through it all in one go and I think you can back out of it at any time and come back to finish it later.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Try this.

Personally I liked it on my first way through but I think I'll use the mod my second time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wish you could enable a personality on Assaultron voices. I want my battle Kleo!

Though even the personality free voice is pretty cool. At least once I heard my Assaultron say "Humans. Pathetic."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sheen Sheen posted:

No one is saying that the focus on lovely Minecraft is what prevented the game from being as good as New Vegas, but I do believe that it would have made for a better game if lovely Minecraft had been eschewed during the brainstorming process and the focus had gone towards all those good things that had already been listed instead. And I don't think Fallout 3 would be improved by lovely Minecraft DLC, but I think it would have been definitively worse if lovely Minecraft had been a major focus of the base game like Fallout 4.

Considering even without the existence of settlements Fallout 4 is basically a better Fallout 3 by almost any metric, not really? I mean they both have a borderline nonsensical main quest, two hub cities with a lot of work put into them (Diamond City/Goodneighbor and Rivet City/Megaton) and a bunch of smaller places with like a quest each. Everything else is noticeably improved (combat, companions, actual joinable factions).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You guys are hard to please.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
When I did the code minigames it didn't even occur to me to place the blocks in my workshop inventory so I could carry them around. I literally picked them up one at a time to place them where I needed them, including all the bridges you had to make in the final puzzle. When I saw someone else do it properly I felt like a massive tool.

The first couple are fun and different but they wear out their welcome quickly.

Inzombiac posted:

I actually liked it aside from the very bad solution to puzzle 5 but that one is optional.

Edit: I can't wait to make the Vault-Tec rep the overseer of my personal vault. I'm very excited to see what tests I can run on people.

I really wish they told you it was optional in advance.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deified Data posted:

When I did the code minigames it didn't even occur to me to place the blocks in my workshop inventory so I could carry them around. I literally picked them up one at a time to place them where I needed them, including all the bridges you had to make in the final puzzle. When I saw someone else do it properly I felt like a massive tool.

The first couple are fun and different but they wear out their welcome quickly.

I really wish they told you it was optional in advance.

Haha, ouch. My issue was that the bugs would move on my bridges sometimes.

Guys, I am HYPED for the new DLC but I always worry about mod conflicts. Ughhhh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I liked Fallout 4, but it goes without saying that it's no where near as good as New Vegas. The real problem with the settlement system is that it's ultimately pointless. I think Bethesda had a choice here. They could've made a more robust settlement system that had actual ramifications, or write a more compelling central story, with better developed characters. They somehow chose to do neither, when just doing one of those things well would've made the game a lot better. That's why it's disappointing to learn that only one more DLC is focused on a story, and two are focused on the settlement system.

I would be fine with the settlement system returning in future games, but it has to have some kind of a point. I shouldn't be able to make a settlement that consists of one giant room full of beds, some turrets, and a few carrots, and have the settlers happy. And I should be rewarded in some tangible fashion for an amazing settlement that rivals Diamond City.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like I'm in the minority of people that like FO4 more than I did NV :\

I like how dense the map is, I like the settlements, I love love love the new gun mechanics, and I love that I can pick a "these guys are all dumbasses, I'M going to be the one to save the Commonwealth" option for the endgame. I've gotten more mileage out of building robot companions than I got from Pitt or Zeta, Far Harbor was a blast excepting that "no godrays" needs to be an option. I've got 200+ hours into it and will probably put in another 200 before it goes into the rotation of games to fart around with every few years

I liked NV a lot don't get me wrong but compared to 4 it feels empty and stilted. A lot of people compare a version of NV that they custom built themselves with a hundred mods and overhauls of every mechanic, but that's not really fair.

That so far it looks like none of the DLC are going to be ones I actively despise like Dead Money and the one with the philosophy 101 guy talking about the ethics of couriering, and that's a plus to me as well

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I liked NV a lot don't get me wrong but compared to 4 it feels empty and stilted. A lot of people compare a version of NV that they custom built themselves with a hundred mods and overhauls of every mechanic, but that's not really fair.

I barely used any mods in NV. I mostly enjoyed it because the setting felt so much more alive. FO4 feels sterile.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Considering even without the existence of settlements Fallout 4 is basically a better Fallout 3 by almost any metric, not really? I mean they both have a borderline nonsensical main quest, two hub cities with a lot of work put into them (Diamond City/Goodneighbor and Rivet City/Megaton) and a bunch of smaller places with like a quest each. Everything else is noticeably improved (combat, companions, actual joinable factions).

"bunch of smaller places with like a quest each" is a far better descriptor for Fallout 3--in Fallout 4 it's more like "a bunch of places you have to build yourself for absolutely no benefit and with zero quests," and I definitely prefer the former. Combat and graphics are certainly tangible improvements--I didn't care for the companions in this game and found them to be a nuisance, and I usually just go without them. I think the plot of Fallout 4 is worse than 3--3's plot is lame and uninspired, whereas 4's is mind-bogglingly stupid. Who cares about joinable factions? They're mostly tied to the game's awful main story, and the benefits you get from them are pretty much useless, outside of learning the recipe for ballistic weave from the Railroad.

I'm not necessarily saying that Fallout 3 is better than Fallout 4 (don't really know where you got that from) but I strongly feel that if Bethesda had tried to make a pointless settlement system a major focus of 3's development from the beginning that it would have resulted in a worse game than the one we got, and that replacing two of the DLCs with settlement-building DLC would not necessarily have improved the game, especially if it was implemented as it was in 4.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

I didn't care for the companions in this game and found them to be a nuisance, and I usually just go without them.
I actually liked 4's companions a lot (though, some, feel a lot more fleshed out than others... Nick Valentine), but what's weird about them is their characterization comes in short bursts, and then it just kind of stops. They feel 50-75% done. I wish they each had more to say and do. The only one that feels completely developed is the aforementioned Nick.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Nichael posted:

I actually liked 4's companions a lot (though, some, feel a lot more fleshed out than others... Nick Valentine), but what's weird about them is their characterization comes in short bursts, and then it just kind of stops. They feel 50-75% done. I wish they each had more to say and do. The only one that feels completely developed is the aforementioned Nick.

The affinity system is another half-assed thing about this game--the biggest laugh I got out of a companion was during the quest where Piper confronts the mayor of Diamond City for being a synth. After he barricaded himself inside his office, Piper asked me to help her out, so I picked the lock on his office, and Piper got mad at me :wtc: I just loving helped you out, Piper, what the hell is the matter with you???

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hancock is the only NPC who I felt like had a realistic morality to him - screwing over bad guys is good, screwing over the little guy is bad. It's weird that he exists in the same game as Paladin Danse who keeps opposing synth liberation even after he finds out he is one.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 14, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody will ever be cooler than Fawkes of course, but a stereotypical butler that just happens to be an enormous invincible killbot with a skull for a face that shoots mini-nukes and akimbo laser gatling guns is pretty close

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Really hosed up that they brought back MacCready and Maxon but we will probably never see Fawkes or Moira ever again.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The companions all felt unfinished, I mean you can break into the institute and get a list of all known synths but you can't like mention this to Piper in any way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The GIG posted:

Really hosed up that they brought back MacCready and Maxon but we will probably never see Fawkes or Moira ever again.

That and they expected me to let old boy live after it was revealed what he did to Sarah Lyons

Like mafucker, u ded

Once you stop being useful to me

Moira was so great, it heartened me to realize that she stuck around as a super chipper ghoul if you nuked Megaton so that you couldn't avoid your responsibility to get horribly tested on

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

socialsecurity posted:

The companions all felt unfinished, I mean you can break into the institute and get a list of all known synths but you can't like mention this to Piper in any way.

Speaking of, I'm kind of sad that quest where you get the report from McDonough doesn't lead anywhere. Not even a choice to give the thing to Piper unless I'm missing something. Also sad that there's absolutely no post-game stuff that says you can convince both Hancock and Piper to accept the Institute as actually good guys. I mean, c'mon man. SOME fixed post-game content would be nice.

Epic High Five posted:

That and they expected me to let old boy live after it was revealed what he did to Sarah Lyons

Like mafucker, u ded

Once you stop being useful to me

Moira was so great, it heartened me to realize that she stuck around as a super chipper ghoul if you nuked Megaton so that you couldn't avoid your responsibility to get horribly tested on

Wait. What if Moira's now an employee at Nuka World. HMMMMMMM.

Also I remember sending Maxson to his death myself when I hacked into Liberty Prime. Motherfucker was just chilling on the roof with a Gatling Laser. I think I even used General Zhao's Revenge on him, too.

widespread fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 13, 2016

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't think Beth could write a better story if all their staff focused on only writing and brainstorming plot hooks. What we got is impressive considering you have 4 factions that all relate to each other. There is some minor degree of choices/consequences and the companions are (at least the good ones) almost Bioware level. In other words: even if Beth didn't do the base building poo poo, this story wasn't going to get any better.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

widespread posted:

THIS WOULD BE PERFECT, learn the ins and outs of the park by having limbs ripped off and drinking poison and getting thrown in a cage with rabid Deathclaws <3

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

widespread posted:

Speaking of, I'm kind of sad that quest where you get the report from McDonough doesn't lead anywhere. Not even a choice to give the thing to Piper unless I'm missing something. Also sad that there's absolutely no post-game stuff that says you can convince both Hancock and Piper to accept the Institute as actually good guys. I mean, c'mon man. SOME fixed post-game content would be nice.

Also I remember sending Maxson to his death myself when I hacked into Liberty Prime. Motherfucker was just chilling on the roof with a Gatling Laser. I think I even used General Zhao's Revenge on him, too.

I get the sense that there was some unfinished content there as it'd be a glaring oversight otherwise - Maxson is more worried about one Paladin being a synth than the head of the largest settlement in the Commonwealth. And there's no way for me to inform others once we start picking apart the information? There are plenty of quests like that, for the Brotherhood, Institute and Railroad, where you can't seem to break away from a loyalist path and steer the quest in another direction. One that really pissed me off was being unable to out the head of the Warwick Homestead as a synth impostor and saving everyone else.

For the NPCs in general though I wish there was another way to get them to be more open and fleshed out. I tend to play the lone wanderer character in these games and so I miss out on basically everything else anyone has to say since I don't bother dragging them around with me. I get that they're not going to open up to a total stranger they just met but why not have another way to get to know them? Why does this character need to personally witness me shooting 300 people in the face before they tell them more about themselves? Why can we not just have a friendly conversation like normal people?

edit:

Sheen Sheen posted:

They were able to do it with Far Harbor! It has a far better story than the base game and has factions whose motivations aren't complete nonsense. And maybe the main story wouldn't have been any better, but if they had bothered to create more non-Radiant quests then the game would most definitely have been better. They aren't incapable of writing good quests--hell the USS Constitution quest was fun.
You know, while I would love a story that didn't seem like it was written like a 14 year old for Fallout games it doesn't really bother me as much as it would in other RPGs. That not to say I expect less from Fallout, but rather I'm more interested in the backstory, the lore behind the setting. I love nothing more than exploring the ruins, poking through all the tidbits of information of the pre-War world, looking at all the over-the-top Americana and just trying to imagine how everything was before the world went to complete poo poo. And I gotta say, for everything they did wrong with the story here Bethesda has really stuck to the series' roots in the world they'd built.

It would certainly be nice if Bethesda could deliver both a coherent story and well built world, but so long as I can close myself in looking at pretty ruins then I'll be happy.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 13, 2016

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think Beth could write a better story if all their staff focused on only writing and brainstorming plot hooks. What we got is impressive considering you have 4 factions that all relate to each other. There is some minor degree of choices/consequences and the companions are (at least the good ones) almost Bioware level. In other words: even if Beth didn't do the base building poo poo, this story wasn't going to get any better.

They were able to do it with Far Harbor! It has a far better story than the base game and has factions whose motivations aren't complete nonsense. And maybe the main story wouldn't have been any better, but if they had bothered to create more non-Radiant quests then the game would most definitely have been better. They aren't incapable of writing good quests--hell the USS Constitution quest was fun.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Nichael posted:

They could've made a more robust settlement system that had actual ramifications, or write a more compelling central story, with better developed characters.

I would be fine with the settlement system returning in future games, but it has to have some kind of a point. I shouldn't be able to make a settlement that consists of one giant room full of beds, some turrets, and a few carrots, and have the settlers happy. And I should be rewarded in some tangible fashion for an amazing settlement that rivals Diamond City.

This is reasonable.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'd prefer it if they stuck with just one or two big settlements and everything else is just resource points or something. Like if the only buildable settlements were Sanctuary and The Castle and everywhere else were upgraded by joining you and generated Minuteman patrols or something, it'd be more tolerable to me at least and be more than "Just drop some crops and turrets, you're never coming back anyway."

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Deified Data posted:

who keeps opposing synth liberation even after he finds out he is one.

Thanks

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I mean on one hand unmarked spoilers are bad, but on the other, its been 7 months.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spoilered, but this thread is a bad place to be if that sort of thing bothers you. No one gave a poo poo on day one, I doubt it's gotten any better.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

widespread posted:

I would "squeeee!" in a decidedly unmanly manner.

Content: the answer to the novella "When Provisioners Attack" is "wait three days".

Also: Danse takes issue with my building artillery at the castle because I just "handed them the means to destroy the Brotherhood.". The gently caress? When did the Minutemen ever do anything to you bub? Next you're going to tell me how you feel about Muslims, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Some of you seemed to enjoy the Egret Tours settlement I posted earlier, so I thought I'd share my main base at Starlight Drive-In. Operating under the Brotherhood of Steel, naturally.

Here's an aerial view of half of the place from my penthouse atop the old movie screen. The base is enclosed on all sides by a tall concrete wall and the back of the movie screen serves as a barricade. The northern side of the base has a public market, a restaurant/bar, and a greenhouse as well as a hotel area above. Western edge is left open for farming up against the rocky hill but guarded by heavy laser turrets in watch towers. To the east is the primary entrance, heavily guarded and funneling caravans and travelers through a check-in at the guard house. Typically I have enormous sentry bots posted there but there was a regular soldier on one side when I took this screenshot.

We follow my robotic Dogmeat through the entrance and check-in. Please submit all weaponry and contraband voluntarily. Synths and ghouls will be detained and relocated to my Nordhagen Beach work camp.

Humans and other allies of the BoS may proceed through to the public market. The Bullfinch Tap could probably use a better name, but I had fun punching out the shutters in the old movie theater lobby and using it as a bar for people to sit outside of. Further over is the Market where I sent all my legendary vendors. There is one of two greenhouses located here.

So if you go the other direction through check-in, or all the way around back, you go to the authorized personnel area which includes my power plant, armory, workshops, and "war room" as well as two dormitories, a second greenhouse, and the general's quarters/penthouse thing.

General's quarters up atop the movie screen. This is where all my Bobbleheads and magazines and safes full of bullshit like pre-war cash and all the holotapes I don't want in my inventory live. I also have a helipad with a personal vertibird on it.

Looking back the other direction from the ground:

Oh, and my cyborg Dogmeat one more time because he's a good boy:

• Locked thread