Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vodkat posted:

I have always found keepass to be needs suiting. Plus your going to be :tinfoil: about the :yaycloud: it should probably be your password manager.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/04/keepass-wont-fix-security-hole-due-to-ads/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
lastpass is terrible and its browser extension hardly works and has poo poo security

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

so... 1pasword then

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

teen bear posted:

so... 1pasword then

yea

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

teen bear posted:

so... 1pasword then
yep they did eventually fix this, though. but they complained a lot about why they should do it which is kinda offputting

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

New keep rear end is out

The update check URL has changed from keepass.info to:

code:
https://sslsites.de/keepass.info/update/version2x.txt.gz
So, they didn't just cram in their lovely https cert that keepass.info serves. Seems like it's all being done right

code:
// Watching this code in the debugger may result in a
// CryptographicException when disposing the object
lol

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I paid $5 for the osx Keepass app so I didn't even know this was a thing. Plus it's open sores so you can just write you own programme if necessary.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

vodkat posted:

Plus it's open sores so you can just write you own programme if necessary.

lmbo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hm, 1password has $5/month now as on option, i should do that when my lastpass premium runs out

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

1password for i-bone, lastpass works too. keepass is more like just rear end

keepass was the one that didn't have an exploit

it's not user friendly like the others tho

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e: boy i should really check the next page before posting

the old keepass didn't have any holes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

hm, 1password has $5/month now as on option, i should do that when my lastpass premium runs out

but it;s like $40 what the hell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vodkat posted:

I have always found keepass to be needs suiting.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my stepdads beer posted:

thats the families plan, I think you can still by individual copies

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

what do you need to pay extra for in the app if you don't get the monthly subscription?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

$65, enough for me to use it for $5/mo until i can fork out $65 over it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teen bear posted:

what do you need to pay extra for in the app if you don't get the monthly subscription?
looks like the difference is whether if they sync it for you or you have to sync it for yourself between devices. also some sort of pro features in the mobile apps, they are included in sub but not in standalone purchase. also looks like upgrades are paid for the latter too

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

teen bear posted:

so... 1pasword then

yep

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

keep rear end is probably still fine despite the owner being a gigantic baby

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my boss asked for a recommendation and having to actually say, then spell keepass was kind of awkward

double entendres are usually obviously witless but single entendres are the literal toilet paper hanging out the back of your pants

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

this is also what I say about truecrypt but I stopped using it too

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I am getting less and less patient with my laptop, a circa-2007 T61, type 6459. It's a C2Duo 2.5, 4GB, 750 GB hybrid drive and 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise. My first thought is to buy more memory and reinstall to 64-bit, but I'm running 2x2GB now and 4GB chips are hard to find and/or expensive. I could clone over to a true SSD, but 750 to 1TB drives are still pretty expensive, as in a quarter of the cost of a replacement laptop with a modern processor. I'm still running Lenovo BIOS and am happy enough with it. Getting an incrementally faster processor feels like a lot of work for a limited return.

Any ideas or links to cheap memory?

edit: sorry, 7 not 10

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 15, 2016

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

netwerk23 posted:

I am getting less and less patient with my laptop, a circa-2007 T61, type 6459. It's a C2Duo 2.5, 4GB, 750 GB hybrid drive and 32-bit Windows 10 Enterprise. My first thought is to buy more memory and reinstall to 64-bit, but I'm running 2x2GB now and 4GB chips are hard to find and/or expensive. I could clone over to a true SSD, but 750 to 1TB drives are still pretty expensive, as in a quarter of the cost of a replacement laptop with a modern processor. I'm still running Lenovo BIOS and am happy enough with it. Getting an incrementally faster processor feels like a lot of work for a limited return.

buy a new computer

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i cant believe they make windows 10 in 32 bit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

netwerk23 posted:

I am getting less and less patient with my laptop, a circa-2007 T61, type 6459. It's a C2Duo 2.5, 4GB, 750 GB hybrid drive and 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise. My first thought is to buy more memory and reinstall to 64-bit, but I'm running 2x2GB now and 4GB chips are hard to find and/or expensive. I could clone over to a true SSD, but 750 to 1TB drives are still pretty expensive, as in a quarter of the cost of a replacement laptop with a modern processor. I'm still running Lenovo BIOS and am happy enough with it. Getting an incrementally faster processor feels like a lot of work for a limited return.

you should really buy a new laptop if this is your only laptop.

if this is a side project laptop, the thing to do would be to buy a smaller SSD - and honestly you're being CPU limited on it so restrict what you use it for accordingly.

Maximum Leader posted:

i cant believe they make windows 10 in 32 bit

until they finally make a modified NTVDM available for 64 bit windows, they'll have to supply a 32 bit version to suit enterprise needs

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

fishmech posted:

you should really buy a new laptop if this is your only laptop.

if this is a side project laptop, the thing to do would be to buy a smaller SSD - and honestly you're being CPU limited on it so restrict what you use it for accordingly.
It is, but I have other desktops for the heavy lifting projects (media transcoding). Thanks for the reply.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

syscall girl posted:

my boss asked for a recommendation and having to actually say, then spell keepass was kind of awkward

double entendres are usually obviously witless but single entendres are the literal toilet paper hanging out the back of your pants

just point him to an expertsexchange thread recommending it

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

netwerk23 posted:

who upgrades their laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Syncopated posted:

who upgrades their laptop
i do, since it's so bad that performance improvement of win10 over win8.1 does wonders, so did win8.1 upgrade over win7 on previous laptop

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

kalstrams posted:

i do, since it's so bad that performance improvement of win10 over win8.1 does wonders, so did win8.1 upgrade over win7 on previous laptop

Well obviously you upgrade the os, i meant the components.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

netwerk23 posted:

buy an xps 15 4k touch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Syncopated posted:

oh lol yea no, component upgrades are not a think unless your rocking some heavy chassis like clevo 7200 or something, but that's laptop only in technicalities then

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

kalstrams posted:

oh lol yea no, component upgrades are not a think unless your rocking some heavy chassis like clevo 7200 or something, but that's laptop only in technicalities then

on second thought the dude a few posts up should definitely upgrade his ram, hd and processor on his 9 year old laptop

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Syncopated posted:

it usually ain't worth it to buy a whole new laptop every couple years, but you might have not had an ssd or a large enough one and do that, or ram dropped in price so you get double what you had etc

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000

Syncopated posted:

on second thought the dude a few posts up should definitely upgrade his ram, hd and processor on his 9 year old laptop

RAM yes, if I could find it cheap. I would double my memory for $50 if I could, wouldn't you?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

netwerk23 posted:

RAM yes, if I could find it cheap. I would double my memory for $50 if I could, wouldn't you?

on my current 5 year old sony laptop the ram, graphics, processor and hd is poo poo. I won't be upgrading any of them

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Syncopated posted:

on my current 5 year old sony laptop the ram, graphics, processor and hd is poo poo. I won't be upgrading any of them

Syncopated posted:

5 year old sony laptop

Syncopated posted:

sony laptop

found the actual problem

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i have a debian single-board computer thing which changes the ethernet mac address everytime i upgrade its packages, and thus the ip address is constantly changing.

what package can I install to stop this, or to get it to report a consistent computer name in the way that windows computerscan be set up so i can just access it by like \\WHATEVER

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

i have a debian single-board computer thing which changes the ethernet mac address everytime i upgrade its packages, and thus the ip address is constantly changing.

what package can I install to stop this, or to get it to report a consistent computer name in the way that windows computerscan be set up so i can just access it by like \\WHATEVER
you mean like echo WHATEVER > /etc/hostname

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

you can set the mac address in the /etc/network/interfaces file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: not cjs