Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually read an issue of the WR reboot on 4chan's comics board, and it was utterly :mediocre: I'm not kidding, it was needlessly edgy (the Red Baron was an unironic Nazi and Blubber Bear was a mentally disabled man wearing the head of the bear that made him that way, for example), Penelope Pitstop was a Mary Sue, at least in the issue I saw, and Dick Dastardly wasn't even all that dastardly- he was even chummy with the other racers at some points. Honestly, I think that if they went even more into the needlessly edgy side like the webcomic Weapon Brown did, and used that to highlight the absurdity of the whole thing, it would have been at least entertainingly bad. Or maybe they could've went with the whole post-apoc aesthetic, yet kept the goofiness of the original cartoon, that could have been hilarious. But nope, they tried so hard to be different they became completely generic.

Sorry for the :goonsay:, but the end result was so disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CommissarMega posted:

I actually read an issue of the WR reboot on 4chan's comics board, and it was utterly :mediocre: I'm not kidding, it was needlessly edgy (the Red Baron was an unironic Nazi and Blubber Bear was a mentally disabled man wearing the head of the bear that made him that way, for example), Penelope Pitstop was a Mary Sue, at least in the issue I saw, and Dick Dastardly wasn't even all that dastardly- he was even chummy with the other racers at some points. Honestly, I think that if they went even more into the needlessly edgy side like the webcomic Weapon Brown did, and used that to highlight the absurdity of the whole thing, it would have been at least entertainingly bad. Or maybe they could've went with the whole post-apoc aesthetic, yet kept the goofiness of the original cartoon, that could have been hilarious. But nope, they tried so hard to be different they became completely generic.

Sorry for the :goonsay:, but the end result was so disappointing.

Did the issue you read have Sergeant blast and Private Meekly in it? The concept art shows that one of them is a woman now and I'm kind of curious about which one it is. Also, what are they racing for anyway? What's the prize?

Space Cadet Omoly has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Jun 13, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As I recall, Sergeant Blast is a post-op trans woman (man, I hope I got the terminology right- she was a man, now a woman), while the reason they're racing- well, first off there was some kind of apocalypse that ended up flooding the world. There is supposedly a utopian sanctuary, and an omnipresent, possibly near-omnipotent 'Announcer' has taken the Racers from the moments of their deaths and gave them an offer: Race for him (or her, the Baron describes the Announcer as an Aryan goddess), and they get to go to Utopia- but if they fail, the Announcer's going to send them back. At least, that's the offer he gave Penelope anyway.

Oh, and all their cars are sentient AIs for some reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not really sure you can have a serious, gritty postapocalypse story with the word "Wacky" in the title no matter how much you want to reboot your franchise for the kids these days.

The fanart ones were pretty awesome though. Gave me a Death Race 2000 vibe.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Yes there was a MGS novel.

Concordat has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jan 28, 2017

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Concordat posted:

Yes there was a MGS novel.

i found that book for like $1 in an airport bookstore before a flight and as someone who read that piece of poo poo solely due to being confined on an airplane with it for 6 hours, i appreciate this a lot.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Iron Prince posted:

i found that book for like $1 in an airport bookstore before a flight and as someone who read that piece of poo poo solely due to being confined on an airplane with it for 6 hours, i appreciate this a lot.

Once the author had the "Metal Gear?!" macro set up, I'm sure they knocked it out in an evening.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

What book now?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stand never takes a drink 3/10

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Iron Prince posted:

I absolutely love terrible books based on videogames. The best were the Doom novels. A four book series where the first two roughly line up with the story of the Doom 1 and 2. Then it just has 2 more books that go completely off the rails. There was also a 2 book series based on the 90s Shadow Warrior, which had way too much graphic sexual content considering the average reader was probably like 10 years old.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I recall the Doom novel changed the enemies into aliens that disguised themselves as demons because humans are superstitious and cowardly.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The MSJ posted:

I recall the Doom novel changed the enemies into aliens that disguised themselves as demons because humans are superstitious and cowardly.

Basically yeah. They were genetically engineering soldiers that would easily be able to rule through fear since they looked like biblical monsters. Turns out humans went through the industrial revolution way faster than any other alien species. So they came back expecting us to have swords and wooden sailing ships, and met our shotguns and plasma rifles.

It didn't really bug me because when I played through Doom as a kid I just assumed they were aliens too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Stand never takes a drink 3/10

Get a loada this guy who can't see in the frozen time. :mmmsmug:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ElMaligno posted:

"im 37 years old and ive already wasted my entire life"

More like "It's high noon and I've already wasted the entire day"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Iron Prince posted:

The author of that novel also wrote the Retsupurae classic Darkseed 2.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

More like "It's high noon and I've already wasted the entire day"

You're right, that's better.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm proooooooooooobably reposting some of these.

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o8ff1gVHqp1qjxdqs_r3_480.mp4#_=_
^Watch the volume before you start it, it's ungodly loud.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know what this first one is from but I assume something, reminds me of akira or something but more uguu

not really fanart but I like it so it's going here before it goes in the sorted folder

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Ramos posted:

What book now?

Its this one, if I am not mistaken. It could almost be a half decent adaptation of MGS1 if someone had bothered to proofread, edit or even read it before they shat it onto the press

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dr_Amazing posted:

I absolutely love terrible books based on videogames. The best were the Doom novels. A four book series where the first two roughly line up with the story of the Doom 1 and 2. Then it just has 2 more books that go completely off the rails.

There were giant demon statues which had erections as levers. I may or may not be accurate about remembering handjob jokes in relation to those.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dr_Amazing posted:

I absolutely love terrible books based on videogames. The best were the Doom novels. A four book series where the first two roughly line up with the story of the Doom 1 and 2. Then it just has 2 more books that go completely off the rails. There was also a 2 book series based on the 90s Shadow Warrior, which had way too much graphic sexual content considering the average reader was probably like 10 years old.

The Resident Evil novels were just kind of bad. They were written by someone with a crazy fixation on Rebecca Chambers though so they wrote an entire fanfiction novel about her that had her fighting a zombie T-rex. Also the Warcraft novels range from hilariously bad to re-writing the entire story of the first games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
read the Blaster Master novel for a real good time

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm still waiting for the Calvin, future fan-art where he and Susie still loving hate each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

"More... need MORE stars!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why is Hobbes angry about Calvin getting some action, anyway?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I like this edit better:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

i like this edit better:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ViSL0bp_Bk

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

poptart_fairy posted:

There were giant demon statues which had erections as levers. I may or may not be accurate about remembering handjob jokes in relation to those.

This I don't remember.

The dumbest stuff I recall was how only the Mormons were prepared for an alien invasion, so Salt Lake City became the new stronghold of Earth resistance. The aliens that sent all the monsters become so super evolved that they are smaller than DNA and just infect people like a disease. The only way to stop them is to have faith. As long as you believe in something you're immune. Luckily the main guy has such a deep belief in the Marine Corps that he is safe. They also somehow end up in a Matrix like simulation of the first 2 games, but they are able to convert the enemies by preaching to them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FutonForensic posted:

i like this edit better:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dr_Amazing posted:

This I don't remember.

The dumbest stuff I recall was how only the Mormons were prepared for an alien invasion, so Salt Lake City became the new stronghold of Earth resistance. The aliens that sent all the monsters become so super evolved that they are smaller than DNA and just infect people like a disease. The only way to stop them is to have faith.

Book of Mormon sequel looking good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

they are able to convert the enemies by preaching to them.

My favorite part was when Doomguy went all Southern Baptist preacher on the scared humans and converted them to Catholicism as an inoculation against the aliens

Wait, no, my favorite part was Doomguy converting the demons and teaching them to speak English and bring him healing items. One time, he got hurt in a fight and some converted imps went and threw some cloth they'd found around one of those big blue healing orbs and brought it to him

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Come on, FAI. At least try to take this seriously.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Can anyone repost that comic with Jotaro saying he's got a rumbly tumbly?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Spermando posted:

Can anyone repost that comic with Jotaro saying he's got a rumbly tumbly?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm a Cracker Barrel Boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kay Kessler posted:

The author of that novel also wrote the Retsupurae classic Darkseed 2.

That makes so much sense

• Locked thread