Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

GotLag posted:

I'm having some serious issues with the wrong menu appearing in the beta build - at one point I tried to restart a mission only to get the fleet upgrade screen.

Edit: I just clicked "Exit to desktop" from the mission select screen and got asked if I wanted to buy the kamikaze upgrade.

I am away from my workstation until tomorrow but I will take a look first thing. Is there any consistent way you can get this to happen that makes it easier to reproduce?

Thanks and sorry for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

I would start on some of this gameplay stuff, but it's been constant audio and control issues. Hopefully this dies down soon, then I'll get to hurting you guys more.

Does "gameplay stuff" include more content?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Smoke posted:

Running the risk of asking a pretty stupid question here, but is there any chance of this game running on a mere 1GB of video RAM? I'm a big fan of the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games, but my laptop has slightly limited specs(it meets all the other specs though, just not that VRAM) The screen is 1366x768 so it wouldn't need to run at 1080 or something, and I don't have any VR stuff.

I have plans to get a new desktop but they're kind of vague at the moment, and I'd rather join in the fun now than wait, or buy it and discover I can't run it for some time.

I've been running it at the high settings smoothly at 1080p on a core2quad 3.2 ghz/4GB ram/560ti, it slows down at the galaxy menu but the game itself is more than playable. I've even been running it sorta smooth at 1080p on my i3 NUC with 8GB ram, more than playable.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does "gameplay stuff" include more content?

Yes, wave mode is on the way, maybe other stuff depending on what Kairo's up for.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Doomy posted:

I've been running it at the high settings smoothly at 1080p on a core2quad 3.2 ghz/4GB ram/560ti, it slows down at the galaxy menu but the game itself is more than playable. I've even been running it sorta smooth at 1080p on my i3 NUC with 8GB ram, more than playable.

I decided to take the plunge based on this, and it turns out it runs fine on my configuration(i5-4200U, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 8670M with the aforementioned 1GB RAM) except for the galaxy screen, which is just a bit sluggish.

This is gonna be fun.

Kinda tempted to try it on my desktop, which has a 3GHz C2D, 6GB RAM and a Radeon HD 4850 with 512MB RAM in it, but that's something for later this week.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I'd been reading about this game since it was only a few pages long and low and behold Kairo goes and releases it the day before my birthday :neckbeard:

It's excellent all the way through what's present and the only thing it left me with is a wish that I then had another different star system to go subjugate for the Emperor

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Battuta posted:

Yes, wave mode is on the way, maybe other stuff depending on what Kairo's up for.

Awesome. I could see wave mode being absolutely fantastic.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kairo posted:

I am away from my workstation until tomorrow but I will take a look first thing. Is there any consistent way you can get this to happen that makes it easier to reproduce?

Thanks and sorry for that.

I didn't notice any pattern to it at all, just that it rarely occurred in the release version, and occurs much more often in the beta version. Before opting in to the beta I only recall it happening when trying to abort a mission: sometimes I'd try to abort a mission only to be prompted to confirm retrying the mission. Since switching to the beta version it appears to happen much more often, but I can't think of any specific trigger, other than that anything that opens a prompt appears to have a chance of opening the wrong prompt/menu.

In the example I mentioned in my previous post, I was at the mission select screen, with no mission selected (or even highlighted, if I recall correctly). I pressed escape to bring up the menu to exit the game, selected exit to desktop, then was asked to confirm buying the kamikaze upgrade. Pressing escape from that brought me to the equipment selection screen for the final mission (unlocked at the time).

The only possible thing I can think of is that I was alt-tabbing occasionally. I run the game full-screen on my primary monitor, and was watching youtube and IRC on the secondary, so I was occasionally tabbing out to shitpost or choose a new video. I didn't see any issues that appeared to be immediately connected to that, however.

Edit: it occurs to me that I wasn't watching video or tabbing out nearly as much before switching to the beta version, as I'd been taking my first play-through much more seriously and single-mindedly. When I get home from work tonight I'll try playing the non-beta version in my more usual, ADD-riddled style.

Edit 2: to be completely clear, menus are coming up when menu-summoning buttons are clicked, and are only coming up when said buttons are clicked. The problem is, sometimes the wrong menu appears.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Possible related tangent. I tend to play things in windowed mode for easier multitasking (sometimes even smaller than native resolution).

I've noticed that moving my mouse across say, a browser window, will still count as the position of the mouse pointer in game. If I'm on the upgrades screen while something else like word or my browser is the main focus, I'll still see the descriptions change to represent what upgrade the mouse pointer WOULD be over.

However, I have yet to see clicking mouse buttons or typing actually cause anything. Only mouse cursor position related.

If it helps, that's barely noticeable since nothing actually interferes with the game itself yet, and sure as hell beats Doom 4's "Your invisible mouse cursor while playing would be on the Peek Preview bottom right corner desktop view nub, guess what happens" and other similar issue (Which even hit Chip Cheezum during a stream).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I'm clearly really bad at this game, since I'm having issues taking down Broodmother on whatever the second difficulty is. Any time I go in for an attack run, I get shredded. How am I supposed to setup to kill that thing? Is there a decent approach where it doesn't have guns? Am I missing something incredibly obvious?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Ravenfood posted:

So I'm clearly really bad at this game, since I'm having issues taking down Broodmother on whatever the second difficulty is. Any time I go in for an attack run, I get shredded. How am I supposed to setup to kill that thing? Is there a decent approach where it doesn't have guns? Am I missing something incredibly obvious?
You need armor upgrade that reduces AoE dmg by 95% since Broodmother has flak around her.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
you can hit flak drones with just about any weapon from outside their attack range as well so just shoot them

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Where is the mission inside an asteroid, or on the surface of a huge asteroid, or the one where you fly between two super battleships that are lasering each other?

In my game, I don't recall seeing shield effects for my ships equipped with shields. Is there a charge up time after dropping out of warp?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

This took me ages too. I wound up with the carapace armor, extended shields, auto cannon, and shotgun. Boost in as fast as I could and stopped right by the engines outside the big gun firing arcs. Shotgun until dead. It took quite a few tries though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

powderific posted:

This took me ages too. I wound up with the carapace armor, extended shields, auto cannon, and shotgun. Boost in as fast as I could and stopped right by the engines outside the big gun firing arcs. Shotgun until dead. It took quite a few tries though.

Uh...doesn't extended shields do nothing unless you also have shields equipped? Maybe it works as its own shield unit, I've never tried it.

And you should just kill the flak drones, then she's ezpz.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thanks guys. I ended up just doing another mission, getting some destroyers and letting them do it. I didn't realize it was the flak killing me, so that makes sense. My destroyers just ran all over it. AP rounds seem essential, though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Uh...doesn't extended shields do nothing unless you also have shields equipped? Maybe it works as its own shield unit, I've never tried it.

And you should just kill the flak drones, then she's ezpz.

lol. If this is the case I've been wasting an upgrade slot. I thought it was just a different type of shields. Apparently I'm not very good at this game either.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Just killed my first flagship, then realized I had done so on Harbinger. Maybe it should scale a little, that was far too easy.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

In my game, I don't recall seeing shield effects for my ships equipped with shields. Is there a charge up time after dropping out of warp?
You need Energy Shields to have shield. Shield Extender upgrade requires Energy Shield to work.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aesis posted:

You need Energy Shields to have shield. Shield Extender upgrade requires Energy Shield to work.

That is pretty retarded. No offense, Kairo.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Aesis posted:

Yeah messaging is definitely lovely on this. Sorry! Gap reset too.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

powderific posted:

lol. If this is the case I've been wasting an upgrade slot. I thought it was just a different type of shields. Apparently I'm not very good at this game either.

I don't recall the description stating that you need normal shields equipped, like the gap drive recharge thing explicitly states.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
What is the trick to making my AI fighters actually use their Gap drive in a practical manner?

It's super useful, but I keep doing without it due to the tendency for my Ally ships to never use it when I really want them to, as well as the tendency for it to warp me right in front of a ship's railguns unless I spend extra time flying down the Z axis. At which point I'm usually still alone with the AI fighters taking the long way, because I can't seem to force my ally ships to come with me, whether I give the order to attack, defend me, or move to that location.

Lovely time saver if I want to go off to do something all by myself quick, though.

TheDemon posted:

Just killed my first flagship, then realized I had done so on Harbinger. Maybe it should scale a little, that was far too easy.

What mission was it on, and what means did you have unlocked by then?

It is a lot more forgiving to kill the Flagship (and even survive it when right by it) when you have more targets for it to spread it's missiles and other fire at, for starters.

Some missions killing the flagship feels super easy, other time's it's a real mother fucker just based on circumstances, basically. The final mission basically gift wraps being able to take it out for the bonus, while other otherwise incredibly easy missions it can be a pain in the rear end to try and kill the flagship by comparison.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I find the best tactic for any larger targets is to wait until its shooting at something that isn't you before you start attacking.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I'm dumb and thought it was like a tech tree. Which I guess is extra dumb since you start with the shield.

Now I wanna replay those missions with actual upgrades.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, so now I get why people were saying the game is too easy. After a while, it just clicks. Thanks for all the advice on Broodmother, guys. I haven't quite killed all the flagships on Harbinger, nor tried Tannhauser on Harbinger yet, but the other missions all flew by once I figured out how I liked to play. There's probably some optimization I could do with my destroyers and I'd like to have Gap Drive available as a player-only upgrade, tbh, since its fun to play with but the AI can't seem to use it well. I'd been running with the carapace armor, AP rounds, the autocannon, and shotgun.

Game's stupidly fun, Kairo, and the last mission is atmospheric and fun as hell. Would love to see even more of a chaotic clusterfuck like some of the latter FS2 missions where you're just off killing swarms of fighters and they just won't stop coming. Bonus, my roommate just got a VR headset I can hopefully steal!

TheMostFrench posted:

I find the best tactic for any larger targets is to wait until its shooting at something that isn't you before you start attacking.
Yeah, if they launch missiles at me its pretty much a lost fighter unless I get really lucky and have the space to boost away, drift backwards, and spray autocannon fire at the missiles. Even then I usually get hit, even when I jam on the boost at a hard angle to them. I'll get dodging them down eventually, I hope.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Section Z posted:

What mission was it on, and what means did you have unlocked by then?

It is a lot more forgiving to kill the Flagship (and even survive it when right by it) when you have more targets for it to spread it's missiles and other fire at, for starters.

Some missions killing the flagship feels super easy, other time's it's a real mother fucker just based on circumstances, basically. The final mission basically gift wraps being able to take it out for the bonus, while other otherwise incredibly easy missions it can be a pain in the rear end to try and kill the flagship by comparison.

It was The Cartographer, and I had the three destroyers and the frigate along with three interceptors. It was the first mission with the frigate after I got artillery, which I was basically playing with to see what it did (and given that I knew The Cartographer had a bunch of medium ships jump in at distance, seemed the perfect test case). As the mission itself was a milk run, once the Royal Guard had cleared out, I decided to send everyone at the Flagship in a suicide run. There were still enemy reinforcements around but not that many.

Turns out it was not so suicidal after all.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, if they launch missiles at me its pretty much a lost fighter unless I get really lucky and have the space to boost away, drift backwards, and spray autocannon fire at the missiles. Even then I usually get hit, even when I jam on the boost at a hard angle to them. I'll get dodging them down eventually, I hope.

If you start running away as soon as you see the missile target icon they will blow up before they reach you, as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I really hope the lead indicator gets put back in at some point. It would make those dumb bombs so much more useful against even slowly-moving capitals.

I still need to get less poo poo at controlling my fleet, I have trouble with The Quartermaster / Slaughter at Horuus Gate on Harbinger difficulty. Either I go take out the sentinels and the targets get away, or I go after the targets and the sentinels slaughter my fleet capitals.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Finished the campaign tonight, all difficulties. Excellent overall, but I'll echo the feedback that I expected something harder.

Couple annoyances I found:
- It seems much easier to collide with heavy sentries in a close pass than for any other ship in the game. I think I died to flybys on them eight times compared to maybe two other collisions total. Hell, once I ordered my wingmen to take out two heavy sentries at mission start and they gap drive'd in and both instantly died to collisions. Wasn't able to replicate that even in replay of the same mission, however.
- I found it unintuitive that the reload sound only plays at the start of a reload and not during the entire reload. It's fine for the Autocannon but not for longer reloads like the Longrifle. I don't have time to be searching my cockpit for a circle. A better audio cue would help a lot.
- If you die while the flagship counter is up it disappears when you swap fighters. That's the tiniest of things, though.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 14, 2016

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Hmm, not sure if the function that hides the cursor likes throttles. Once I set my throttle axis to my CH Pro Throttle the cursor disappears forever. Maybe that function should just check if it's an Xinput controller being plugged in, but I don't know if Rewired will let you do that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

TheDemon posted:

- I found it unintuitive that the reload sound only plays at the start of a reload and not during the entire reload. It's fine for the Autocannon but not for longer reloads like the Longrifle. I don't have time to be searching my cockpit for a circle. A better audio cue would help a lot.
- If you die while the flagship counter is up it disappears when you swap fighters. That's the tiniest of things, though.

First point: I think in the bottom middle of the screen just above targeting computer is a progress bar that says RELOADING and gives a more accurate indicator of how long you have to wait, I agree it isn't always that helpful when you are doing drive by rocket drifts and trying not to crash into something.

Second point: I noticed this too. On a similar note the voice clip which goes with the counter ('3...2..1..flagship in play') will continue to play even if you pause the game, so it ends up not aligning with the timer.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Bug report: if you get the frigate before you get the destroyers, you can't scroll over to it to change its loadout. At least not via gamepad, in retrospect I should've tried just clicking with the mouse as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Having completed the game last night I'm torn between the feeling that I was missing the 10-15 minute missions from FS2 with capital ships slogging it out with each other, and the feeling that maybe there's a reason this game keeps each mission short and sweet and I wouldn't like the alternative.

I know Battle of Endor syndrome is a thing and all, but I'd like to see a few scenarios with the scale of conflict upped a bit and capital ships not dying so fast.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The bell of doom in the opening has really severe hissing (8 bit sample?). If you run it through a lowpass filter it'll sound a lot better.

It'd be cool if you could hold ALT (or whatever) to move your head around and look without changing course. I'm not crazy about padlocking.

Also, nice work. :)

Spatial fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I am exactly one Harbringer mission (Tanhauser, of course) away from being poo poo out of things to kill. Game is amazing btw, everything about it just so perfectly right: amount of story, amount of complexity, controls, graphics, everything just clicks together beautifully. Excelent excelent job!

Plz be bringing more traitor lords to murder ASAP!

PS: I take it MP was never part of the initial design and thus very unlikely to materialize ?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Would be interested to see co-op multiplayer tbh. Murder traitorous lords together!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just want to be able to equip half a dozen upgrades on my fighters and turn off my destroyers and frigates. Tiny murdership mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

GotLag posted:

I just want to be able to equip half a dozen upgrades on my fighters and turn off my destroyers and frigates. Tiny murdership mode
I also want to designate each upgrade per interceptor :)

• Locked thread