Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Not pissing me off: Yahoo IM Desktop Client is going to be killed August 5th! I can finally eliminate that piece of poo poo from my environment.

Bad news, I have no idea what alternative will takes it place. For some reason Yahoo IM has been THE defacto method of communication for commodities traders since the late 90's. I'd like to use Slack, but I have no idea if the industry as a whole will move that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not pissing me off: Yahoo IM Desktop Client is going to be killed August 5th! I can finally eliminate that piece of poo poo from my environment.

Bad news, I have no idea what alternative will takes it place. For some reason Yahoo IM has been THE defacto method of communication for commodities traders since the late 90's. I'd like to use Slack, but I have no idea if the industry as a whole will move that direction.

This but AOL Instant Messenger. All my trading experienced used it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Slack requires individual servers, there isn't a general public one. You're going to end up using Discord.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

Slack requires individual servers, there isn't a general public one. You're going to end up using Discord.
Uh, Discord is specifically marketed towards gamers. And what do you mean about requiring individual servers? It's hosted in the cloud and there isn't an on-prem version.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Uh, Discord is specifically marketed towards gamers. And what do you mean about requiring individual servers? It's hosted in the cloud and there isn't an on-prem version.

Discord was the joke. Slack requires you to a group that you then sign up for. Maybe things have changed since I last used it but I had to sign up for slack each time I wanted to join an organization. Maybe that was a better wording? I don't see an an entire industry migrating to a single solution.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

Discord was the joke. Slack requires you to a group that you then sign up for. Maybe things have changed since I last used it but I had to sign up for slack each time I wanted to join an organization. Maybe that was a better wording? I don't see an an entire industry migrating to a single solution.
You set up a single Slack for your organization and then you break it down from there into channels. It's like an IRC or XMPP server. You can't use the same credentials for multiple, uh, slacks, which I think is what you mean?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

anthonypants posted:

You set up a single Slack for your organization and then you break it down from there into channels. It's like an IRC or XMPP server. You can't use the same credentials for multiple, uh, slacks, which I think is what you mean?

My company (500-600 people across 5 offices all on different continents) just launched Slack for testing. I'm so happy to be away from email and Lync Skype For Businesses.

Is there any thing I should know about it?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Right, but I believe that industry uses YIM to contact between organizations, so industry wide.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo.

You guys may remember the $10k password reset from last September.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=450596166&forumid=22

The same guy--who apparently got away with it--tried to do it again. This time it was a customer, but it was the same poo poo. Customer couldn't log into their own account, so this fucker provided an invalid license from a completely different account, for some reason.

And when it didn't work, started escalating the issue. Of course, it's all about I DID THIS AND I DID THAT and he manages to simply not mention the whole "We are using the wrong license" thing. Being pushy and poo poo, he managed to obfuscate the issue from two levels of support.

But this time one of our Tier 3 agents caught it when they made the customer recreate the entire problem flow from scratch.

I loving weep.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

Right, but I believe that industry uses YIM to contact between organizations, so industry wide.

Correct, the industry as a whole is on the YIM platform. Looks like the paid version of slack would work as you could have outside users for channels, but it'd still be under your companies team name so it wouldnt really work that well.

So far I'm not loving some of the names getting bandied about like Digsby and Pidgen.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I honestly am not smart enough to be a Linux admin.

CLI is CLI. If you can learn one you can learn another. The way Powershell is going if you can't do CLI stuff you won't be able to do windows for much longer either.

TBH Linux admin was easy as gently caress compared to windows, if for no other reason than *nix systems tend to be verbose as gently caress when something breaks instead of giving you a random error that could be one of 852 things.

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy poo poo.

You guys may remember the $10k password reset from last September.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=450596166&forumid=22

The same guy--who apparently got away with it--tried to do it again. This time it was a customer, but it was the same poo poo. Customer couldn't log into their own account, so this fucker provided an invalid license from a completely different account, for some reason.

And when it didn't work, started escalating the issue. Of course, it's all about I DID THIS AND I DID THAT and he manages to simply not mention the whole "We are using the wrong license" thing. Being pushy and poo poo, he managed to obfuscate the issue from two levels of support.

But this time one of our Tier 3 agents caught it when they made the customer recreate the entire problem flow from scratch.

I loving weep.

Cargo cult IT. I guarantee you that this chain of events fixed one minor thing (the wrong way) a few years ago and he's latched onto it as his "Magic Bullet" solution.

At my first job it was everybody source pinging the poo poo out of everything "IP not resolving? Source ping that fucker! E-mail not working? Source ping the IP of the e-mail server! FTP? Same thing! Frontpage extensions aren't installed? Who cares! Source ping it!"

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 13, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Correct, the industry as a whole is on the YIM platform. Looks like the paid version of slack would work as you could have outside users for channels, but it'd still be under your companies team name so it wouldnt really work that well.

So far I'm not loving some of the names getting bandied about like Digsby and Pidgen.

Facebook Messenger :downs:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

pixaal posted:

Which is playing fast and loose with CFTC regs unless you're shipping IMs off to Smarsh or whatever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My company (500-600 people across 5 offices all on different continents) just launched Slack for testing. I'm so happy to be away from email and Lync Skype For Businesses.

Is there any thing I should know about it?
Have you looked over the list of integrations? You can integrate a ton of tools into it, and it's pretty easy to write your own. Also work on your GIF game.

edit: also make sure your users know to set their time zones, do-not-disturb hours, and per-channel alerts before they get annoyed and turn all alerts off.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 13, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Will they not just move to AIM like all of the other traders?

One of my favorite parts about going down to the floor of the NYSE was the cacophony of AIM noise.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

Will they not just move to AIM like all of the other traders?

One of my favorite parts about going down to the floor of the NYSE was the cacophony of AIM noise.

Ugh I don't miss that nonsense. Especially when they wanted to federate lync with it. And when they had to do aim proxy for compliance purposes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rhymenoserous posted:

TBH Linux admin was easy as gently caress compared to windows, if for no other reason than *nix systems tend to be verbose as gently caress when something breaks instead of giving you a random error that could be one of 852 things.

Best part about *nix admin. Almost any time I have to open Event Viewer on a Windows system it makes me hate everyone involved with its existence. It's very rare that you can't make a *nix program get verbose enough to tell you exactly what's wrong.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cargo cult IT. I guarantee you that this chain of events fixed one minor thing (the wrong way) a few years ago and he's latched onto it as his "Magic Bullet" solution.

At my first job it was everybody source pinging the poo poo out of everything "IP not resolving? Source ping that fucker! E-mail not working? Source ping the IP of the e-mail server! FTP? Same thing! Frontpage extensions aren't installed? Who cares! Source ping it!"
A year or so ago I got handed an incident where a customer report would take 5-10 minutes to run. Our developers are for the most part incompetent, to put it lightly. I quickly identified the issue in the data source, namely a large table of transactions with no relevant primary key and no index. Check the queries the report used, apply suitable indices and voila, report now takes <5 seconds to run.

I then made the fatal mistake of mentioning this to the developers, and since then every performance incident has been dumped in my lap with an "add/check index" note, no matter what the actual problem is. :argh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

wolrah posted:

Best part about *nix admin. Almost any time I have to open Event Viewer on a Windows system it makes me hate everyone involved with its existence. It's very rare that you can't make a *nix program get verbose enough to tell you exactly what's wrong.

What, you mean "error 0xrandom_hex_value",incidentally an error code shared between several different Windows subsystems which thus makes it difficult to Google, isn't verbose enough for you? What's next, you're going to complain about the fact that the error is only displayed in a field that you can't right click on so you can't copy the obscure hex value without having to use the keyboard? Psh.

Edit: I was hoping I was just misremembering how terrible Event Viewer is but nope, still can't copy from the General tab of an event using right click, though for some inexplicable reason this works fine on the Details tab right next to it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 13, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

The new event view makes me cry every time I open it. Its not enough that I have to sort through thousands of obtuse entries, but now we have to guess which of the drat event log its even in.

In linux? grep -in somerror /var/log/* will take you where you need to go 90% of the time.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So we had our employee survey. The results were not positive. Anyone want to guess what the action plan is?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So we had our employee survey. The results were not positive. Anyone want to guess what the action plan is?

Terminate employees with negatively affected morale.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bootstraps?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Full speed ahead while pretending nothing happened.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mandatory after work "moral booster" events?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
New Windows login screens.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Hour long mandatory meetings on improving workplace morale.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Person in charge of surveyed people calls his underlings 'bunch of crybabies that dont know how good they have it' in public and starts making things even worse?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

$10 Starbucks gift cards for everyone?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Ignore it. Anything that doesn't exist to inflate the egos of management are simply useless tools that don't understand the business/industry/economy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
The morale will continue until the beatings improve.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Punishment meetings! AKA, over the next 6 months my team gets to meet with our front line manager and brainstorm on ways that the company can improve. I have been through this before with another company. Front line manager's was on the line due to negative scores, and the improvement that they wanted was ways to improve scores on anonymous surveys. Next year everyone got the message and answered moderately positive and there was much rejoicing.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Punishment meetings! AKA, over the next 6 months my team gets to meet with our front line manager and brainstorm on ways that the company can improve. I have been through this before with another company. Front line manager's was on the line due to negative scores, and the improvement that they wanted was ways to improve scores on anonymous surveys. Next year everyone got the message and answered moderately positive and there was much rejoicing.

Oh, hey. The scape goat method. I'm pleasantly surprised. :v:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
What I hate today: spreadsheets! And priority 1 issues that you have to drop all the other important poo poo you are doing and spend all day researching and gathering data on in 2 different systems to find out the problem all along was accounting hosed up their spreadsheet and it was not our issue at all.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You are a goddam IT professional, stop reporting "x is slow" with no qualifiers at all. What's slow? Throughput or latency? Or both?

Oh wait you're trying to do the barest minimum of work before escalating aren't you?

:argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not pissing me off today... Learned today our corporate office location is FINALLY getting fiber!

Every city block/neighborhood surrounding our office has had fiber service for 2-3 years, but they refused to bring it to our block unless we paid several thousand and just as much per month. They just launched a big build out initiative and will finally be lighting up our block.

While we do already have 20/3 VDSL.. that max 3Mbps upload really sucks....

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Pissing me off: Gmail. We use Google Apps for Business and twice this week my account has been "Temporarily Locked Down" because it itself froze. I tried to insert an image into a message and when it took a minute before anything appeared I refreshed the page and I've been kicked out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Trying to setup some new credit cards on file using Verifone's PaywareConnect payment gateway website... This is a credit card processing system used by thousands of retailers, if not tens of thousands.

Seeing this all the time:

Along with the fact it requires Internet Explorer in compatibility mode to work properly doesn't really inspire much confidence.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stevewm posted:

Trying to setup some new credit cards on file using Verifone's PaywareConnect payment gateway website... This is a credit card processing system used by thousands of retailers, if not tens of thousands.

Seeing this all the time:

Along with the fact it requires Internet Explorer in compatibility mode to work properly doesn't really inspire much confidence.

I'd say "contact ComponentArt", but their website isn't loading, probably because Verifone didn't pay for their product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pissing me off: Office365 random password

CEO is out of state and wants his email password reset, no problem, I have his gmail account. I tell him I'll have the random password sent to his gmail so I don't have to give it to him over the phone great. If you don't know office365 generates the password using Cvcvdddd (Capital consonant vowel consonant vowel number number number number). It sent him Faka####.

He's still on the phone while reading it, and takes it rather well after I explain how it's generated but oh boy was that fun.