Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think whoever said that the movie sounds more like The Death of Wolverine is right. This is Jackman's final movie and X23 is part of that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lone Wolverine and Cub.

If it ends with the badguy embracing little wolvie as she kills him, I'm in.

"Granddaughter...of my heart"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The new South Park game trailer seems relevant to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHkWUP47os

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hell yes South Park: The Fractured but Whole, my favorite comic book adapted into a film.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The MSJ posted:

The new South Park game trailer seems relevant to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHkWUP47os

No...words....poet...

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I think whoever said that the movie sounds more like The Death of Wolverine is right. This is Jackman's final movie and X23 is part of that story.

From the leaks, yes, he has a death scene very reminiscent of the comics.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So with the success of Deadpool and the fact everyone has forgotten The Crow was a good R-rated comics-based film. a lot of people I talk to want to see more "mature" comic films.

What do you all think? Something like The Authority or Miracleman or maybe some Garth Ennis stuff? I always thought Ennis was a bit overrated but people do love him. Nobody remembers The Punishe rwas written for decades before Ennis came along...but oh well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

NikkolasKing posted:

So with the success of Deadpool and the fact everyone has forgotten The Crow was a good R-rated comics-based film. a lot of people I talk to want to see more "mature" comic films.

What do you all think? Something like The Authority or Miracleman or maybe some Garth Ennis stuff? I always thought Ennis was a bit overrated but people do love him. Nobody remembers The Punishe rwas written for decades before Ennis came along...but oh well.

I think Ennis is happy selling his stuff to TV. Preacher is doing well despite my disdain for the changes and The Boys looks like it's happening. If Suicide Squad does well, maybe a Hitman movie could happen. Seeing a real life Bueno Excellente....ahhhh to dream

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NikkolasKing posted:

everyone has forgotten The Crow was a good R-rated comics-based film

Well, one good R-rated film, three terrible R-rated sequels and a so-so Canadian TV series. They've also been trying really hard to reboot the movie these last few years and were scheduled to start shooting earlier this year but the company who has the rights had some bankruptcy issues and then ran into some 'fire the director' issues followed by legal issues.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Miracleman is now owned by Marvel, who are owned by Disney.

They will never make a good movie adaptation of Miracleman.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So why is almost everyone operating on the assumption that Wolverine movie is going to be Old Man Logan?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

So why is almost everyone operating on the assumption that Wolverine movie is going to be Old Man Logan?

quote:

Director James Mangold has said he is looking at Wolverine comic book story lines for inspiration, including “Old Man Logan.”

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fair enough then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'd love to see another Blade film but with a new British actor and set in London. I think people forget Blade is British.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It was certainly news to me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

To be fair, it does not say he will follow any of the stories completely.

Hollismason posted:

I'd love to see another Blade film but with a new British actor and set in London. I think people forget Blade is British.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4A2v3Ya_W4

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 14, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Miracleman is now owned by Marvel, who are owned by Disney.

They will never make a good movie adaptation of Miracleman.

Given that it's not part of the Marvel universe, they might be willing to license it out like how Kick rear end and Kingsman happened.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's really loving insufferable, and if I was british I'd probably be offended on a cultural level too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Given that it's not part of the Marvel universe, they might be willing to license it out like how Kick rear end and Kingsman happened.

They made a comment about, after getting the rights and making it public, wanting to pursue more in movie form and the like.

Which is an awful idea.

Maybe some one could do a good Miracleman movie, as its story is pretty perfect FOR a movie, but I have very little hope for that to happen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

They made a comment about, after getting the rights and making it public, wanting to pursue more in movie form and the like.

Which is an awful idea.

Maybe some one could do a good Miracleman movie, as its story is pretty perfect FOR a movie, but I have very little hope for that to happen

That doesn't mean Marvel Studios is going to do it. Marvel Studios seems pretty dedicated to the MCU, which it'd be really goddamn weird to shoehorn Miracleman into, and I think everyone involved with working out that clusterfuck realizes that. You're more likely to see it done by Fox or Lionsgate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd love an Authority movie. It's very possibly a little late to go for the "spirit of the 20th century" angle (and after the latest X-Men I don't think I want anyone to do any more period superhero movies for a while), but I'm pretty sure Apollo and Midnighter as mains could carry a film. Imagine the reactions to "gay Batman and Superman fight crime on a global politics basis", no one would know what the gently caress.

Start with the Stormwatch storyline where they're homeless and fight weapons dealers, reveal a little backstory through flashbacks, 1/3 of the way in the movie they get picked up by the established team like in the very first X-Men movie because the weapons trade is part of a larger political issue. And I feel that it's incredibly important that the antagonist be a politician without any superpowers whatsoever. Some small country dictator or something, sure, but his motives would have to be firmly rooted in realistic politics. Lord knows they're beyond the most cartoonish of 80s supervillains these days anyway. End the movie with the Authority in a place of global power and Hawksmoore's speech to the US president, and you've got yourself a movie.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 14, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Does Marvel own Miracleman completely, or is it similar to Angela in that Neil Gaiman owns the character, and he simply chooses to have Marvel use the character?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oasx posted:

Does Marvel own Miracleman completely, or is it similar to Angela in that Neil Gaiman owns the character, and he simply chooses to have Marvel use the character?

It turned out that Mick Anglo had the rights all along and Marvel just bought them outright from him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

To be fair, it does not say he will follow any of the stories completely.

Also the set photos we've seen so far weren't in a post-apocalyptic setting, unless they were just flashbacks

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Hollismason posted:

I'd love to see that, too. Although Snipes was so loving good as Blade that I don't recall anyone giving a poo poo that he wasn't British in the movie.

It's too bad Delroy Lindo wasn't younger. I don't know if a lot of people realize he's British. Although Ashley Walters (look him up) could probably do the role justice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doronin posted:

It's too bad Delroy Lindo wasn't younger. I don't know if a lot of people realize he's British. Although Ashley Walters (look him up) could probably do the role justice.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a call to arms for nerd favorite and life long London resident Idris Elba.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, one good R-rated film, three terrible R-rated sequels and a so-so Canadian TV series. They've also been trying really hard to reboot the movie these last few years and were scheduled to start shooting earlier this year but the company who has the rights had some bankruptcy issues and then ran into some 'fire the director' issues followed by legal issues.

Cannot believe how many starts/stops a new Crow flick has had, it's like a decade now. I mean of all the comic properties out there it's literally "person/their family is killed, their ghost comes back and is real strong and hunts down their killers." I'm not saying it'd be easy to make great (as the three sequels show) but it's like revenge flick 101 stuff with some supernatural elements. Seems like it would be easy to sell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 14, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It's amazing how a simple change can make a huge difference for the better.

In this picture, she even has bruised knuckles similar to Logan after his claws pop out.

Layla Miller?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oasx posted:

Gaiman sold Angela to Marvel. She's theirs now.

But yes, they completely own Miracleman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Cannot believe how many starts/stops a new Crow flick has had, it's like a decade now. I mean of all the comic properties out there it's literally "person/their family is killed, their ghost comes back and is real strong and hunts down their killers." I'm not saying it'd be easy to make great (as the three sequels show) but it's like revenge flick 101 stuff with some supernatural elements. Seems like it would be easy to sell.

I used to read the original comic series back in the early 90s during my goth phase and I remember thinking that the first film was okay but the first sequel was a crass sell-out because the original artist James O'Barr created the character as a way of dealing with the real life death of his girlfriend but they obviously put that all that aside and started trying to squeeze as much mileage out of the IP as they could. There's also been at least 11 new comicbook versions/remakes of the character between 1996 and 2014 so they've been cranking them out every few years pretty much nonstop since the first movie.

If Brandon Lee hadn't been killed during the production of the first film and brought all that attention down on it I suspect there wouldn't have been all those sequels and followup series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doronin posted:

I'd love to see that, too. Although Snipes was so loving good as Blade that I don't recall anyone giving a poo poo that he wasn't British in the movie.

Not to take anything away from Snipes, but I would say they didn't care because Blade was the single most obscure comic book character before the movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh hey, Donald Glover has been cast in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Presumably not as Miles Morales, as he's in his 30s now, and they'd probably want to save Miles for the 2020s as a passing the torch whenTom Holland has a few movies under his belt and Peter has Parker Industries to run.

But Glover's a really fun presence whenever he pops up, so I'm excited.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2016

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I love Glover, even if he just plays a flustered substitute teacher for 10 seconds of the movie I will love it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marisa Tomei and Tom Holland rush to the ER upon learning that Uncle Ben has been shot. He's conscious, they offer words of encouragement and love, but before tragically expiring before his time he can only offer a hushed whisper of resignation.

"I'm too old for this poo poo."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong glover

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Black Uncle Ben would be pretty awesome though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:thejoke:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Black Uncle Ben would be pretty awesome though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

With great rice there must also come great responsibility.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Was it? Was it really?

• Locked thread