Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

1/72 is great for skirmish because you usually end up paying less than 20 bucks for everything you need.

I have some 1/72 for FoF/AA, but I never got around to playing it because all my terrain is 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

:kimchi:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRF posted:

That is one of the things irking me about some 15mm stuff. I don't mind slightly exaggerated proportions, but a lot of the earlier Battlefront stuff in particular is just awful in that regard. Giant heads, fists that are about the same size, and comically oversized weapons.
After checking out some of the manufacturers mentioned so far, I'm leaning towards getting PSC plastic British (even though I'll end up with far more than I have use for) and possibly supplementing with Peter PIg for variety. I'm also interested in PSC Americans, but weird webbing issues aside, I assume the more realistic proportions measn that they'd be incompatible with other ranges, so I'd be stuck with PSC. Does anyone have one of the more recent PSC infantry sets and can comment on how well they're cast and the quality and variety of the poses?
I have some Wargames Factory US Infantry floating around somewhere and while I don't know poo poo about the webbing etc they mixed fine with the PSC US infantry heavy weapons. The early war German Grenadiers from PSC are pretty sweet too.

Someday I'll lay out what mans I have for my various 15mm armies. I've got late 1st ed FoW stuff onwards from all over the place.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I have some Wargames Factory US Infantry floating around somewhere and while I don't know poo poo about the webbing etc they mixed fine with the PSC US infantry heavy weapons. The early war German Grenadiers from PSC are pretty sweet too.

Someday I'll lay out what mans I have for my various 15mm armies. I've got late 1st ed FoW stuff onwards from all over the place.

I saw the Wargames Factory Americans and liked their look but was worried about the amount of poses. How are they in terms of variety?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Basically the same size of sprue with the same number of dudes on it as any other company. They're a decent buy at the price, and I got mine on some discount with some friends and ended up paying €16 for the box. There was enough in there to get me the bones of a D-Day Ranger company if I added in some spare Shermans I had lying around and bought the PSC heavy weapon box.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Looking over Flames of War's Gung-ho, I think Marines have a bit of a problem pointswise. They're all FV and carry a lot of late-war kit, which makes them extremely expensive in PW points, such that it's relatively hard to get more than 4 platoons in, whereas in late-war terms they're facing late war armies with no integrated AT and 75mm shermans. Anyone played pacific yet to break it down?

SRF
Oct 31, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically the same size of sprue with the same number of dudes on it as any other company. They're a decent buy at the price, and I got mine on some discount with some friends and ended up paying €16 for the box. There was enough in there to get me the bones of a D-Day Ranger company if I added in some spare Shermans I had lying around and bought the PSC heavy weapon box.

Hmm, that certainly makes it sound very attractive. Are the minis from the PSC heavy weapons box wearing M1941 or M1943 uniforms, and if it's the former, is the difference noticeable at tabletop distances?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SRF posted:

Hmm, that certainly makes it sound very attractive. Are the minis from the PSC heavy weapons box wearing M1941 or M1943 uniforms, and if it's the former, is the difference noticeable at tabletop distances?
Did you see that bit where I said I don't know poo poo about the webbing? That.

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
Oh well, I guess I'll just take the plunge and try to sort it out with green stuff if necessary. Thanks for telling me more about the WGF plastics.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Historicals: That is not the correct uniform jacket for the 3rd Infantry Division at Anzio

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The more you get into the academic study of history, the more you begin to realise that what happened is important, not the particular shade of khaki that everybody happened to be wearing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Endman posted:

The more you get into the academic study of history, the more you begin to realise that what happened is important, not the particular shade of khaki that everybody happened to be wearing.

If I don't know exactly what colour everything was how can I get it wrong to annoy grognards?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Endman posted:

Oh if only that were true

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The exact right shade of khaki is nothing next to the importance of one figure representing one man.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

The exact right shade of khaki is nothing next to the importance of one figure representing one man.

1:1 for life

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

moths posted:

Correct

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=78879.0

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Which GW paint is closest to the historical 4BO green that went on russkie tanks?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DJ Dizzy posted:

Which GW paint is closest to the historical 4BO green that went on russkie tanks?
One of the guys in the model building thread painted his group build IS-3 to regulation tank specs. This involved him mashing up grass and mixing it with thinner to make a paint so just go with what looks good to you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the guys in the model building thread painted his group build IS-3 to regulation tank specs. This involved him mashing up grass and mixing it with thinner to make a paint so just go with what looks good to you.

My absolute favorite Russian tank model ever

Endman
May 18, 2010

Mix Castellan Green with a smaller portion of Dark Angels Green or whatever sneaky trademark name it has now and you'll probably get something vaguely close to that dark green khaki the Russians liked so much.

Test this first though because I'm just guessing and will not take responsibility for hosed up models.

I will laugh and post it in the painting unspiration thread though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sigh. gently caress it. Im just going to buy some 4BO paint then.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Colonial Air Force posted:

My absolute favorite Russian tank model ever

Grass tank = best tank

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Endman posted:

Especially considering the fact that until very recently, most uniform regulations weren't even very uniform, so as long as you get it close, you're as right as anyone else!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I was relieved when I found out that there are dozens of hues of grey/green/blue that are "correct" german field grey. Ad long as it's in the general area, it's ok.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
And of course the 'exact' shade is meaningless depending on scale. Painting something at 6mm in that exact shade of German field Grey or Prussian Blue for 28mm mans ain't going to work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

And of course the 'exact' shade is meaningless depending on scale. Painting something at 6mm in that exact shade of German field Grey or Prussian Blue for 28mm mans ain't going to work.
This was my second great moment of realisation of late, the first being "suggest, don't replicate".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arquinsiel posted:

It was grass from Russia, harvested at the appropriate season, right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

It was.... it was ukrainian grass...

:negative:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

In case anyone didn't know, because for some reason you might've expected them to put it up as a front page announcement on their website or something keraaazy like that, Plastic Soldier Company are kickstarting 25pdrs. One of the stretch goals is getting in Sextons, and there's a 20% discount on other PSC stuff ordered as part of the deal. Link here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also issues with how light plays off miniatures. A 6mm Sherman painted with actual WW2 era US Army OD Green would look "wrong" because your brain expects light and shadow to behave a certain way on it.

Similarly, something like Tron-style edge highlighting works perfectly for 6-10mm but looks ugly in 28mm.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

moths posted:

There's also issues with how light plays off miniatures. A 6mm Sherman painted with actual WW2 era US Army OD Green would look "wrong" because your brain expects light and shadow to behave a certain way on it.

Similarly, something like Tron-style edge highlighting works perfectly for 6-10mm but looks ugly in 28mm.

I quite like 15mm tanks with the same kind of deal. They pop better from further away.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DJ Dizzy posted:

Sigh. gently caress it. Im just going to buy some 4BO paint then.

I just used this.

lilljonas posted:

I was relieved when I found out that there are dozens of hues of grey/green/blue that are "correct" german field grey. Ad long as it's in the general area, it's ok.

What's butternut?

Sokrateez posted:

Especially considering the fact that until very recently, most uniform regulations weren't even very uniform, so as long as you get it close, you're as right as anyone else!

I've seen extant examples of Soviet uniforms from grey to beige to green. And there were even white ones, so why not!?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It was grass from Russia, harvested at the appropriate season, right?

You'll be awarded the Order of Grognard for that one.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
anyone care to lay out the merits of levies in saga, since where im sitting they seem like a wasted point

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Castellan green. Easy. Maybe mix it with a drop of white to make it lighter

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

anyone care to lay out the merits of levies in saga, since where im sitting they seem like a wasted point
I have a vague memory of one army, I want to say Normans, only being able to take missile troops if they took levies. They are also easier to activate in general too IIRC, leaving you dice to spend on fancy stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My first 3mm stuff finally arrived. Dunno hoe I'll use them, but the detail is great. Go Oddzial Osmy.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I have a vague memory of one army, I want to say Normans, only being able to take missile troops if they took levies. They are also easier to activate in general too IIRC, leaving you dice to spend on fancy stuff.

normans can have 1 unit of crossbow armed warriors, and that covers their ranged needs pretty well. also theyre actually the most difficult units to activate, you need the equivalent of 4-5 or 6 to activate levies

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I have an idea for noting which of my Green units get upgraded to regular. I was thinking of buying some soviet guards pins off amazon. Would that be considered distasteful?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

DJ Dizzy posted:

I have an idea for noting which of my Green units get upgraded to regular. I was thinking of buying some soviet guards pins off amazon. Would that be considered distasteful?

Why would that be distasteful?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dunno, I was just being sure to cover my bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When in a toy mans shop that I get to visit about once a year over the weekend I noticed Zvezda had released a Ferdinand somehow without me noticing. I kind of wish I had tried to check the army lists before buying three of them, because they're crazy pricey toys in mid or late war. Would have been better off grabbing a Tiger instead of one, or even getting a couple of Sd.Kfz.222s or something.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

normans can have 1 unit of crossbow armed warriors, and that covers their ranged needs pretty well. also theyre actually the most difficult units to activate, you need the equivalent of 4-5 or 6 to activate levies
It has been a while, but I don't remember my Rus levies being that hard to activate. I hated them anyways though, because they didn't have javelins for "reasons".