Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

MG3 posted:

Hi pander hope you're doing well

Uh hi, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Advice posted:

Somebody rewatch the scene with Tyrion trying to feed Grey Worm and Girlfriend of Grey Worm wine, and tell me if I'm insane.

He has a cup of his own wine, walks away from the table, and pours fresh glasses from a seperate bottle for them to drink. He's aggressive and demanding about them drinking. Even though their pitcher isn't empty, he walks to the other side of the room, to a new new pitcher, and refills his glass. He stands here for a moment, and Grey Worm puts his glass on the table. The lighting is very odd here, with the glass of wine under a goddamn spotlight with the way the scene is framed. Tyrion looks at the glass, back at Worm, and appears almost nervous. Watch that scene and tell me we're not meant to wonder if he's trying to poison them.

Not suggesting he is, he appears to have zero motivation for that poo poo, but before you quote this post, just watch the scene for me and keep that in mind. It's weird.

You're insane.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

th3t00t posted:

From a few pages back

I thought it was pretty obvious, what with Arya having a sword pointed at his chest, that Jaqen was saying whatever he thought would get Arya to NOT STAB HIM at that moment and buy him some time. Pretty sure he would have murdered her on the spot if she had let her guard down and wanted to rejoin the FM.

I don't think Jaqen thought she would kill him outright or that he would be very bothered if she did. He is certainly far more skilled than she is, and has been been shown to be able to gently caress with her perception.

I think he said what he said because he interpreted her return to the temple to put the face on the wall as a completion of her trial, which she should only be able to do if she's no one. She had already safely drank the water, so he probably thought she was cool.

But really, the Many Faced God doesn't give a gently caress, and she gave him a death and face and I guess that's enough?

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014
I can't believe they didn't show that minor character's futile last stand! I was so invested in what was sure to be a dramatic and uniquely choreographed fight scene! It would have been such a thematically appropriate way to punctuate that static character's arc!

Also, Arya's plotline was a pointless waste of time! She was supposed to use her never-before seen badass assassin moves to beat the waif in a way that pays off the conflict in a tidy satisfying way. Instead, she was forced to improvise some kind of trap in a scrappy underdog way that demonstrated her ability to learn new skills but reinforced her headstrong nature and commitment to her old identity. I also hated getting to know Lady Crane just a little better before she's killed

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Brotherhood was formed in the first place to bring the Mountain to justice so it was the best option The Hound and We, The Audience, have of getting. CleganeBowl now that the Trial By Combats been dashed so I'm glad it looks like he's joining

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Advice posted:

Somebody rewatch the scene with Tyrion
I didn't rewatch the scene but during it there was definitely some weird poo poo going on with where he was getting his wine and how insistent he was on getting them drunk. You aren't alone in getting that vibe, it just led to nothing so it's almost like they shot for 2 different scenes and made a decision later on with which plot they wanted to go with. Almost like they shot a double scene to either screen to a focus group or throw off some kind of spoiler. Eh.

BonoMan posted:

The entire scene is just meant to get those three (who are kind of representing the audience) to let their guard down so the Masters attack moment has more impact.
Well, yeah, I'm not disagreeing with this. I'm just also not disagreeing that there was something odd going on with how it was shot.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 14, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The entire scene is just meant to get those three (who are kind of representing the audience) to let their guard down so the Masters attack moment has more impact.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

God drat Tyrion has been trying like hell to ingratiate himself with the rest of the 'council' and the whole thing was a continuing awkward comedy bit. There was nothing underhanded about it. Tyrion ran out of wine, got some more.

Everyone's acting all weird all the time because Grey Worm and Missandrei are all used to the 'wisdom' of some chick who can't be burnt and rides on a motherfucking dragon, freeing slaves and poo poo. Now they got to get used to this guy who does things from a political angle, is more down to earth (heh), and isn't high strung all the loving time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

God drat Tyrion has been trying like hell to ingratiate himself with the rest of the 'council' and the whole thing was a continuing awkward comedy bit. There was nothing underhanded about it. Tyrion ran out of wine, got some more.

Everyone's acting all weird all the time because Grey Worm and Missandrei are all used to the 'wisdom' of some chick who can't be burnt and rides on a motherfucking dragon, freeing slaves and poo poo. Now they got to get used to this guy who does things from a political angle, is more down to earth (heh), and isn't high strung all the loving time.

He just wants them to like him and they don't but they feel like they have to go along with all his poo poo because he's their boss. The Office: Essos. Like, it kind of even felt like there was some improv going on this week with that joke poo poo, like everybody went off book for 15 and then they cut the best bits together. Like, Missandei was acting a little drunk in her delivery for some of the joke but not others and Tyrion was mugging more than usual and poo poo. It seemed fun. I hope they do the commentary for that episode.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Those are my shoes. Give them back. You are a Hound.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bobo the Red posted:

I don't think Jaqen thought she would kill him outright or that he would be very bothered if she did. He is certainly far more skilled than she is, and has been been shown to be able to gently caress with her perception.

I think he said what he said because he interpreted her return to the temple to put the face on the wall as a completion of her trial, which she should only be able to do if she's no one. She had already safely drank the water, so he probably thought she was cool.

But really, the Many Faced God doesn't give a gently caress, and she gave him a death and face and I guess that's enough?

"Either way a face will be added to the wall."

I'm pretty sure Jaquen was just reading her and seeing if she was still lying to herself. He's satisfied because his target was killed, a face was added, and he didn't "have" to suffer the girl who saved his life dying.

He didn't order her killing out of malice, he did it out of obligation. Death God rules are pretty easy to figure out by his words. Death comes to everyone eventually; if you cheat death, the balance must be paid and there's only one thing we tell death

Like I'm pretty sure he was certain that she wasn't cut out for this, even when he was giving her the final test; when she asks for a face, he still says that a girl isn't ready, BECAUSE WEARING THEM COULD KILL YOU (", the faces are for no one.... for someone the faces are as good as poison.")

Basically Arya's arc dragged a bit and this episode was a mess, but it had a point and it's not too confusing. She literally took the Syrio stance while figuratively telling the main acolyte of death, "Not today. "

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
When this show is over I'm pretty sure each season will be easily rateable by a Clegane-O-Meter

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Okay so I ever so slightly misremembered this scene but my point about

And More posted:

Maybe you should rewatch the scene yourself some time. You might notice a thing or two you missed.

Hint: He walks over because the pitcher is empty. :ssh:

still stands. His personal wine is not empty yet, he walks over to the fresh pitcher, pours Miss and GW's glasses, and this empties the pitcher. He still never drinks from the same pitcher they do.

Then:

Before the glass

GIANT FUCKOFF SPOTLIGHT ON THE GLASS HEY AUDIENCE LOOK LOOK AT THIS GLASS

And then in his next shot he shoots quick glances to the glass, to GW, BACK to the glass, and downward

And starts in with the whole Imp's Delight poo poo, which especially because we had never heard it before from a character who loves talking about himself, reeked of insincerity, as though he were nervously looking for something to say. Now, I accept that he probably was just working his way through an awkward conversation, and the scene was oddly written. I guess they wanted to have yet another scene showing Tyrion struggling to connect with his new small council?

Anyway gently caress you all for making me make this post, I'm not insane, this is some first year film study poo poo. The lighting, the shot placement, everything but the kitchen sink is drawing your gaze to the drink but I guess it was really just to emphasize that Grey Worm wasn't drinking? I literally established in my first post that this wasn't my heartfelt Tyrion Poisoning theory but that I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys about how odd the scene was. Go ahead and call this the Arya Fight Club theory of the week or whatever.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Advice posted:

still stands. His personal wine is not empty yet, he walks over to the fresh pitcher, pours Miss and GW's glasses, and this empties the pitcher. He still never drinks from the same pitcher they do.

Then:

Before the glass

And then in his next shot he shoots quick glances to the glass, to GW, BACK to the glass, and downward

And starts in with the whole Imp's Delight poo poo, which especially because we had never heard it before from a character who loves talking about himself, reeked of insincerity, as though he were nervously looking for something to say. Now, I accept that he probably was just working his way through an awkward conversation, and the scene was oddly written. I guess they wanted to have yet another scene showing Tyrion struggling to connect with his new small council?

Anyway gently caress you all for making me make this post, I'm not insane, this is some first year film study poo poo. The lighting, the shot placement, everything but the kitchen sink is drawing your gaze to the drink but I guess it was really just to emphasize that Grey Worm wasn't drinking? I literally established in my first post that this wasn't my heartfelt Tyrion Poisoning theory but that I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys about how odd the scene was. Go ahead and call this the Arya Fight Club theory of the week or whatever.

nice meltdown

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Advice posted:

Then:

Before the glass

While I was willing to buy Arya getting out of being stabbed via Mission Impossible Masks, and frankly would have liked that better, this is all nonsense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doesn't he top off his own glass from the first pitcher before downing it all and going to get another glass from the second pitcher?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jack Gladney posted:

Doesn't he top off his own glass from the first pitcher before downing it all and going to get another glass from the second pitcher?

Important duels, deaths, and drinks all happened off screen this episode.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tyrion definitely wants to kill all the people close to him. It really fits with his character and it makes a lot of sense for him to kill his military commander as well, furthermore

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Zzulu posted:

Tyrion definitely wants to kill all the people close to him. It really fits with his character and it makes a lot of sense for him to kill his military commander as well, furthermore

Murdering Shae and his dad gave him a real taste for murder. So, he traveled to Mereen to meet the Dragon Queen and ingratiated himself into her service, in order to kill again. But only her eunuch military commander and translator. Not the Queen herself.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

back
and to the right

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

waitwhatno posted:

That reads like a line taken straight out of a lovely Steven Segal B-movie ca. 1980. Nice homage, someone in the writing room is a huge fan.
Steven Segal had one movie in the late 80's. He's a 90's actor through and through.

Jack Gladney posted:

He actually just drank whatever was left in his glass, no refilling from the first pitcher. The wine-murder theory is bulletproof.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Advice posted:

nice meltdown

lol

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Advice posted:

Then:

Before the glass

This is amazing. Never change

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

That DICK! posted:

back
and to the right

Are you implying there was a second poisoner? Could this be the same person that poisoned Roose Bolton?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Advice posted:

Then:

Before the glass

fyi it's only Monday, full-on degeneracy really only starts on Thurs/Friday with this thread
edit: PS I hope you are absolutely right and it's this scene that has profound implications for the plot and character, and not you know any of this

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 14, 2016

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So Varys is off to Dorne. Dorne had a pact with him and Illyrio before, so now he wants to see if they are still allies even after Bashir got knifed. Plus, Bad Pussah Resistance +2 (well, I guess it would be -2)

Arya has settled up her account with the MFG and is headed back to the grinder of Westeros. You'd think a perforated bowel would slow her down more, but eh. Also, she freaked at the milk of the poppy because of how it screwed up her dad--remember that Ned spent the last week or two of his life in a drug-induced haze.

Qyburn's rumors are definitely tied to Kings Landing. Cersei has just gotten the news that she's fuuuuucked, so some rumor about Tyrion a world away or Sansa almost as far will hardly help her out. It's either the WF caches, or something more pertinent to the Head Sparrow--consider that she's probably been seeking some dirt or leverage on him desperately since she walked back to the keep.

As for the fleet...well, floating wood boats probably suck against flying fire breathing things--we'll see that next week, probably. Boats apparently can't guard boats.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Advice posted:

Then:

Before the glass

A carriage containing one ton of wildfire and two tons of Sam Tarly collides with Daario Naharis kissing his waifu knifu.

The resulting conflagration can be felt for miles and is still less of a goony meltdown than your posts

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
Hopepost:

Varys is off to meet with the Ironborn fleet that Yara and Theon brought to Essos.

Danaerys will use all three dragons to roast the hell out of the invaders.

Jon Snow will reclaim Winterfell with the aid of the Knights of the Vale.

Baelish will press his advantage and get wrecked.

Okay that's all. This hopepost is brought to you by the letter "C" for chump.

Oh PS also Cersei is going to torch King's Landing and the Hound will return to his "I will help my little bird" stance in re: Sansa.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Didn't Yara already say to Theon that they're headed to Mehreen to offer the fleet to the dragon queen? Why would Varys need to meet them?
They're already on the way, they're at the brothel/tavern that Tyrion and Varys got separated at. (Where is that by the way? Bravos?)
Also didn't Varys say that he had business to take care of in Westeros when he said goodbye at the docks?

Edit: I bet Yara is gonna show up with her fleet and utterly wreck the masters from behind since they're not really known for sea combat.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 14, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheDon01 posted:

Didn't Yara already say to Theon that they're headed to Mehreen to offer the fleet to the dragon queen? Why would Varys need to meet them?
They're already on the way, they're at the brothel/tavern that Tyrion and Varys got separated at. (Where is that by the way? Bravos?)
Also didn't Varys say that he had business to take care of in Westeros when he said goodbye at the docks?

Yeah, Dorne is the most likely; they hate the Crown, and they were heavily married into the Targs.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

hopHeadless posted:

Also, Arya's plotline was a pointless waste of time! She was supposed to use her never-before seen badass assassin moves to beat the waif in a way that pays off the conflict in a tidy satisfying way. Instead, she was forced to improvise some kind of trap in a scrappy underdog way that demonstrated her ability to learn new skills but reinforced her headstrong nature and commitment to her old identity. I also hated getting to know Lady Crane just a little better before she's killed
With endorsements like this it's clear that D&D can do no wrong regards contrivances and plot armour. The show is immune to criticism.

I find it pretty amusing how so many people convinced themselves there was ~real depth~ and cunning behind Arya's apparently brain-dead meandering through the town in broad daylight, talking about how she walked past herself and even how ol' Syrio was involved. In reality D&D took a big dump on everyone's theories and told us that yes - Arya was walking around without a care in the world, got shanked several times but fortunately not in a way that would immediately kill her (I guess she knew the waif wouldn't just slit her throat or something) only to be healed by someone she'd saved, got them killed and then for some reason the show turned into Assassin's Creed.

What has Arya learnt exactly from her time in Bravos? She has her old name, she isn't demonstrably better at anything (luring someone into a trap isn't some elite skill that the Faceless goons have). The entirety of her season 5 arc could've been skipped and her character - motivations, abilities, emotions - would be unchanged.

That all said GoT is s great pulp show and even at its lowest points is some distance from, say, Dexter - which I sat through to the end for my sins.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Durzel posted:

That all said GoT is s great pulp show and even at its lowest points is some distance from, say, Dexter - which I sat through to the end for my sins.

Hound going off to be a a lumberjack after faking his death (again) foreshadowed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Durzel posted:

What has Arya learnt exactly from her time in Bravos? She has her old name, she isn't demonstrably better at anything (luring someone into a trap isn't some elite skill that the Faceless goons have). The entirety of her season 5 arc could've been skipped and her character - motivations, abilities, emotions - would be unchanged.
She did that cool side flip off the bridge

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

She picked up the Blind-Fighting Nonweapon Proficiency do you guys not play AD&D?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

She did that cool side flip off the bridge
You've got me there. She didn't jump into any haystacks though, so she must've skipped the tutorial. Must try harder no name Arya formerly of name none.

Also - batshit insane Tyrion theory aside I'd be on board with Grey Worm and Missandei getting offed - both are interminably rote and inconsequential. A sad loss of the stunning Nathalie Emmanuel, but needs must.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe it's a narrative issue but I still have trouble believing that Arya is going to be able to accomplish poo poo in terms of assassinations unless she's taken secret Bravosi face magic with her to Westeros.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

TheDon01 posted:

Edit: I bet Yara is gonna show up with her fleet and utterly wreck the masters from behind since they're not really known for sea combat.

Right in their perfumed asses.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
My favourite bit was Dany busting in with an expression like she's opened the wrong door while looking for the bathroom

Jesus what a shitshow that plotline is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I find people calling the Riverrun siege a "waste of time" really confusing. It was resolved in like two episodes and we got a lot of character development for Jaime, a further exploration of his relationship with Brienne and some surprise reinforcements for the Battle of WInterfell next week. Plus a fun scene with Bronn and Pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Entropy238 posted:

Maybe it's a narrative issue but I still have trouble believing that Arya is going to be able to accomplish poo poo in terms of assassinations unless she's taken secret Bravosi face magic with her to Westeros.

Besides Cersei, who is left on Arya's list that is still alive? I can't remember if people like Jaime or the Mountain made it on there, nor if Illyn Payne got killed at some point. Now she could certainly start adding names once she gets caught up on the bad things that have happened in Westeros while she was gone, but as far as I recall her only original targets are a woman who may be sentenced to death in the near future anyway and possibly a zombie.

• Locked thread