Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

why in gods name did you buy a new harley for $31k

Because I don't have much choice beside moving out of my country to some place that doesn't have the insane import tax, and that is not exactly an option at this stage ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Probably would have been cheaper to have someone buy you one in the states and then ship it overnight :cripes:

edit: or maybe not I guess it depends what your duty tax is

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 6, 2016

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

AncientTV posted:

Probably would have been cheaper to have someone buy you one in the states and then ship it overnight :cripes:

It would have been around $400 cheaper, and i would have no warranty. I checked all options before shelling out the cash.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

AncientTV posted:

wouldn't that still be subject to tax?

e: i can't imagine what a nightmare it would be getting a crated motorcycle through customs

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wouldn't that still be subject to tax?

e: i can't imagine what a nightmare it would be getting a crated motorcycle through customs

Quite easy to get it through customs over here if you pay %118 tax

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
2 years after being forced to sell my previous bike to cover the downpayment on a new truck:

I finally am pulling the trigger and getting this:

http://imgur.com/a/SB2lZ

Dealership has finished switching out the police lamps for Daymakers and it's ready to pick up.

Of course it's been raining all day :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Even Harleys work in the rain!

simble
May 11, 2004

That looks nice as hell. Congrats.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Thanks, I prefer the police bikes because they have the look of the streetglide, but aren't lowered and are a bit more nimble. For a while they were the only ones that came 103 from the factory but that changed some years back, they do have a slightly different cam profile from what I understand though.

Also I'm old and the police seat is p comfortable. First accessory purchase: utopia backrest.

edit: I came real close to buying this Softail Slim-S:

But after reading reviews where people were complaining about pissing blood if they went further than 100 miles on a trip, I decided to stick with the Electra

sky shark fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 26, 2016

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Valt posted:

I recently bought this guy. For cruising down the highway (which as I live in Texas is all I do) it's super good. It's 2008 dyna lowrider and when I bought it, it had 6,500 miles on it. As of now roughly 8 months later it has 13,000.

Less than 1k a year till you got it. Just kills me the number of Harley bikes you see that just aren't ridden. Glad to hear it's being run now.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Mine is for sure ridden. 15 months on the road, clocked 22000 kilometers today

That Softail Slim with 110cu engine is pretty awesome but still a Softail. I'm yet to ride one that is comfortable

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Speaking of riding, I've put nearly 1K miles on the wide glide and now am forced into a "first service". I hear you can do this yourself and Harley will honor it for warranty. I also hear it's pretty loving expensive if you pay them to do it. So in interest of not paying a lot of loving money, what's your opinion on the service? And does anyone know where I can find the correct checklist, I've found a few on the internet, but the ones I've found are not consistently saying the same things.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

To me, wrenching on your bike is one of the joys of owning it. I'd say do it yourself if it doesn't affect warranty. I don't have a checklist, though. I've never had a bike with that few miles. :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

trouser chili posted:

Speaking of riding, I've put nearly 1K miles on the wide glide and now am forced into a "first service". I hear you can do this yourself and Harley will honor it for warranty. I also hear it's pretty loving expensive if you pay them to do it. So in interest of not paying a lot of loving money, what's your opinion on the service? And does anyone know where I can find the correct checklist, I've found a few on the internet, but the ones I've found are not consistently saying the same things.

replace engine, primary and gear oil, replace the oil filter, and go over all nuts and bolts and re-tighten and you are good to go

That's all you have to do for the 1k mile service.

Make sure to use proper oil (I use Motul 20w50 synthetic for all) and you are good to go

If you want a checklist, consult your owner's manual. it has it all

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

trouser chili posted:

Less than 1k a year till you got it. Just kills me the number of Harley bikes you see that just aren't ridden. Glad to hear it's being run now.

Well that is the bonus of buying a Harley. You can get a older one with barely any miles. I think I made the right move by buying a later year twin cam. It appears that most of the problems have been sorted out by that point.

I would like to get rid of the permanent back rest at some point and replace it with a removable one. Other then that I have a cb750 to play with and change stuff on.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Welp : I guess I've joined this group.

Long story short :

Grew up on the back of my dad's 73 sportster modded mutant of a bike. Had a couple bikes over the last decade (81 suzuki GS750, 93 CBR1000f). Sold those.

Dad's rampant alcoholism landed him in the hospital back in 06. His choices were to quit drinking or die. So : a bit after that, we'd done some math and discovered that he was spending well more than a brand new softail payment just on booze. So : he got a brand new 2007 softail FXST standard. He only put 2600 miles on it, mostly due to the fact that his condition rendered him relatively feeble. He's been living a much healthier life since then, but he was just given 6 months to live, as apparently the liver damage has most likely been the factor contributing to his now inoperable liver cancer. So : he's getting his affairs in order (bought himself a nice truck with his retirement savings he'd never even touched), and has decided it's time to hand over the Harley.

Bittersweet. I now get to ride the symbol of my old man's retarded self destruction and the overcoming of it that bought him another decade on this earth. I don't think I want to make any changes, just because, but the wife apparently despises this Mustang seat he put on it. She won't get on it again until I put a padded sissy bar on there for her. That's fair.

Holy poo poo this 96ci has an impressive amount of power. Also : it's a good thing I broke his balls that, at the time, my crotch rocket was a lot louder than his harley. The Screaming Eagle bullshit he installed just to be better than me sure is loud as hell.

double edit : vvv thanks, guys. vvv My next hard lesson is to remember to wear pants even for the shortest trips. I burned my left leg once yesterday after a ride, wiping off some of the garbage that settled on the bike having sat for the last couple years... and burned the inside of my right leg THREE DUMBASS TIMES at stoplights this afternoon. I'm starting to discover this thing isn't my CBR.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 12, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sorry to hear about your dad.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

What a story; thanks for sharing. And congratulations to your pops on coming back from the brink. Alcoholism is a hell of a thing.

Roll that odometer over in tribute.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

What a story; thanks for sharing. And congratulations to your pops on coming back from the brink. Alcoholism is a hell of a thing.

Roll that odometer over in tribute.

Thanks. Interestingly, I went for a brief ride today with one of my best friends who is experiencing a very near identical situation. He's on his father's 2002 Heritage softail, given to him by his old man that's no longer able to conduct the machine himself, who was recently given a similar prognosis. Life just turns out weird sometimes. 2 early 30's dipshits on their dying dads' softails tooting around the county.

But : yes. I can see this machine being my old man's rolling tribute. Nothing short of the apocalypse will separate this Harley from my possession. Definitely going to one day get another crotch rocket one day, but this bike stays.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
does anyone know of any methods to raise the clearance on an xg750? id like to lean harder

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

does anyone know of any methods to raise the clearance on an xg750? id like to lean harder

Just learn to back it in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Raise it up and gently caress with the geometry, making it handle worse. And you won't be able to get sticky tires for it. Basically, give up on trying to make the bike something it isn't and appreciate it for what it is. If you wanna lean, buy an SV650 or something.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Raise it up and gently caress with the geometry, making it handle worse. And you won't be able to get sticky tires for it. Basically, give up on trying to make the bike something it isn't and appreciate it for what it is. If you wanna lean, buy an SV650 or something.

brb buying sv650

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

And you won't be able to get sticky tires for it.

I'm curious about this part. Does it just use sizes that are uncommon for sportbikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'm curious about this part. Does it just use sizes that are uncommon for sportbikes?

Yeah - they make really good tires in only a handful of sizes, basically a 3.5 inch 17 front and a 4.5/5.5/6 inch 17 rear.

Also plz don't buy an SV650. Buy a Tuono or something.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Also plz don't buy an SV650. Buy a Tuono or something.

wait, what? is this@ me? what's wrong with an sv650? tuono so expensive (but niiiice)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No an SV650 is a super fun bike if all you want is leans but if you want torques and poo poo, a bigger displacement bike will be a lot more torquey and it has updated suspension (although that can be fixed on the SV if you spend a bit of money/time on it).

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

No an SV650 is a super fun bike if all you want is leans but if you want torques and poo poo, a bigger displacement bike will be a lot more torquey and it has updated suspension (although that can be fixed on the SV if you spend a bit of money/time on it).

gotcha. back to buying an sv650. ty

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone is asking for a torquey Harley that can corner; and Clutchpuck's BuellPhone is ringing off the hook, it's owner far far away.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Verge posted:

What are you scraping and what is your body position?

Verge posted:

brb buying sv650

If you want a similar old/cheap V-twin sporty bike with more motor than an SV you can look for the Honda SuperHawk or Suzuki TL1000S (basically looks like a bulgier SV). There are probably more that aren't on my radar.

Personally I am in love with the FZ07/FZ09 but they've only been out for 2-3 years so there won't be inexpensive ones around.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Pinky Artichoke posted:

What are you scraping and what is your body position?

If you want a similar old/cheap V-twin sporty bike with more motor than an SV you can look for the Honda SuperHawk or Suzuki TL1000S (basically looks like a bulgier SV). There are probably more that aren't on my radar.

Personally I am in love with the FZ07/FZ09 but they've only been out for 2-3 years so there won't be inexpensive ones around.

the fz07 makes my dick so hard but like you said. I just wanna go fast in corners for cheap. like, really fast really sharp.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, so like an EX250? Less chance you will whiskey throttle yourself into a wall, too, and deny us your subtle trolling.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

Oh, so like an EX250? Less chance you will whiskey throttle yourself into a wall, too, and deny us your subtle trolling.

Those things don't have very good clearance either. i have no problems scraping the pegs hard

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The ground clearance on EX250s is great if you get some rearsets.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

here's a cool harley. you know, for the harley thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI22WyHv-oM&t=60s

I've never seen a build quite like this; roland sands fabbed a monoshock rear onto a 2006 sportster and made it into a... standard, I guess? It looks cool as hell and I hope someday RSD offers it as a weld-on.

build blog: http://www.rolandsands.com/blog/375/cafe-racer-tv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's a super cool lookin bike and a super stupid lookin video

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle yesterday. I like it. 1st bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The Bananana posted:

I bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle yesterday. I like it. 1st bike.

Useless without pics. :colbert:

And what is going to be the very first accessory you buy for it... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Useless without pics. :colbert:

And what is going to be the very first accessory you buy for it... ?

Ehhh.... I don't want to talk about it. :eng99:

• Locked thread