Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

Is Holoball or Cyberpong the better ball bouncing game?

Cyberpong is the better game, IMO, because it's actually breakout. Holoball has the better physics (curved shots, more velocity) but it's just pong.

It's more a question of would you rather play Pong or Breakout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

theBeaz posted:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/over-30-full-games-launching-with-oculus-touch-this-year/

"This is just the beginning—there are hundreds of additional Touch titles in development, and we’ll share the full Touch lineup and launch details later this fall."

Ugh. This might be as good as we get.

I'm surprised they didn't pimp Dead and Buried harder in this press release. I played it at PAX East and it was a loving blast. In other news, I just got my Rift today and am working through EVE, Lucky's Tale, and Elite Dangerous. I'm considering buying Darknet, Chronos, Airmech Command, Defense Grid, and Keep Talking. Should I pass on any of these?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ryan_woody posted:

I'm surprised they didn't pimp Dead and Buried harder in this press release. I played it at PAX East and it was a loving blast. In other news, I just got my Rift today and am working through EVE, Lucky's Tale, and Elite Dangerous. I'm considering buying Darknet, Chronos, Airmech Command, Defense Grid, and Keep Talking. Should I pass on any of these?

I haven't seen a single other person playing Airmech online and it's pretty thin if you're just doing single player, so I'd skip that probably if you were hoping to do multi.

Chronos is amazing though play that one for sure

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Chronos is amazing though play that one for sure

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have friends that normally hang out at your place or you regularly skype with them? Keep Talking requires other people that are looking at the bomb manual who tell you what to do.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ryan_woody posted:

You should look at Edge of nowhere as well, that game along with chronos are two of the best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rumor mill seems to be pointing for a Touch release sometime in October/November. Some game that was listed as being released in November was announced as a Touch launch title. While these timed Oculus exclusives are super lame, it does at least give some short term enjoyment via all the people getting real mad about it. I'd rather buy these games on Steam.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have friends that normally hang out at your place or you regularly skype with them? Keep Talking requires other people that are looking at the bomb manual who tell you what to do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my girlfriend and I will get a fair amount of play from it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cojawfee posted:

Rumor mill seems to be pointing for a Touch release sometime in October/November. Some game that was listed as being released in November was announced as a Touch launch title. While these timed Oculus exclusives are super lame, it does at least give some short term enjoyment via all the people getting real mad about it. I'd rather buy these games on Steam.

I was browsing r/vive earlier trying to kill time and I'm pretty sure that much salt is actively poisonous :(

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Well, that's pretty much as expected. I don't think anyone thought they would get it out in July or August. Now what remains to be seen is if they learned anything from the snafu that was the CV1 launch.

Price-wise, I'm expecting $300. 200 would be nice for price-parity with the Vive, but Touch looks like it has a few more bells and whistles than the Vive wands, plus cameras are likely more expensive than laser projectors.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am going to say this, gently caress VR Star Wars Exclusives on a sub par VR Platform.

For years we have been wanting a sequal or hell, just (and I mean just) a Graphically Updated Tie Fighter ( X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance would be good too) and now that VR is here, one with VR as well.

We've seen how good space is in VR. Could you imagine Multiplayer in VR with a modern X-Wing VS Tie Fighter!?!?

But no. We're stuck with beautiful but arcade Star Wars crap since the original Xbox launched and Lucasarts has not put out another sim worth a dam since.

*End VR Rant* :argh:

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Price-wise, I'm expecting $300.

I would also be inclined to guess $300, but based on the fact that I guessed the Oculus would cost $450 and it ended up costing $600, I'm going to revise my guess for touch to be $350. Keep in mind that on the leaked accessory page for the Vive, the wands and base stations were listed at about $110, meaning that two wands and a base station would cost about $330.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess that's what you have to do when you're trying to gain a foothold in a market. Though unless they plan on making another Skate, I don't plan on buying an EA game ever again anyway.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I guess that's what you have to do when you're trying to gain a foothold in a market. Though unless they plan on making another Skate, I don't plan on buying an EA game ever again anyway.

This just made me realize a SkateVR would be goddamned amazing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
http://www.shacknews.com/article/95270/e3-2016-sony-announces-release-date-for-psvr

PSVR releases October 13th for $399.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am going to say this, gently caress VR Star Wars Exclusives on a sub par VR Platform.

For years we have been wanting a sequal or hell, just (and I mean just) a Graphically Updated Tie Fighter ( X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance would be good too) and now that VR is here, one with VR as well.

We've seen how good space is in VR. Could you imagine Multiplayer in VR with a modern X-Wing VS Tie Fighter!?!?

But no. We're stuck with beautiful but arcade Star Wars crap since the original Xbox launched and Lucasarts has not put out another sim worth a dam since.

*End VR Rant* :argh:

If theres one video game company I truly miss, it's LucasArts. They used to lay nothing but golden egg after golden egg of unique, well done, amazing games. Then the 2000's happened and they became nothing more than a clearing house that slapped star wars labels on any crappy game.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Hierophant posted:

I would also be inclined to guess $300, but based on the fact that I guessed the Oculus would cost $450 and it ended up costing $600, I'm going to revise my guess for touch to be $350. Keep in mind that on the leaked accessory page for the Vive, the wands and base stations were listed at about $110, meaning that two wands and a base station would cost about $330.

All I need is for them to announce a special discount for CV1 preorders, so I can kick myself some more over that cancellation. :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ryan_woody posted:

Aside from Chronos (which everyone recommended already), I really like Darknet from your list. Kind of simple puzzle/hacking type game but it has some unlockables and more longevity than a lot of games. Pick up Farlands for free. If you like pinball, Pinball FX VR is good. I like Technolust as well, it's a weird cyber future adventure game thing.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

All I need is for them to announce a special discount for CV1 preorders, so I can kick myself some more over that cancellation. :v:

On the other hand, given Oculus' current track record of completely alienating their user base I wouldn't be surprised if they announce Touch for $300 and a Rift+Touch bundle for $800 :p

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

They should really take the money they are spending on exclusives and put it towards discounting touch controllers.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR games (of course).

Here are some videos I haven't had time to watch yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhP9ScPL9Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkIWaFwfaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tlBgYMJF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blptJbNWeh8

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

So I haven't watched it yet, but apparently Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR games (of course).
I'm not sure? It sounds great on paper: RE7 VR, Batman Arkham VR, FFXV VR, Battlefront VR. But they didn't present compelling cases for how any of those are going to work (except Battlefront). I'd say their VR presentation last E3 was a lot stronger.

e: Though FFXV VR knows what sells.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2016

midwat
May 6, 2007

If PSVR can pull off the promise shown in the trailers, I'm down. It's definitely my cheapest/least insane avenue to VR.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure? It sounds great on paper: RE7 VR, Batman Arkham VR, FFXV VR, Battlefront VR. But they didn't present compelling cases for how any of those are going to work (except Battlefront). I'd say their VR presentation last E3 was a lot stronger.

e: Though FFXV VR knows what sells.

If RE7 is like Chronos I think it will be pretty awesome, and Batman could be really cool too, I personally really dig 3rd person games in VR though. And yeah, FF will sell no matter haha. I'm watching a documentary right now so I still haven't watched the videos I posted heh

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

If RE7 is like Chronos I think it will be pretty awesome, and Batman could be really cool too, I personally really dig 3rd person games in VR though. And yeah, FF will sell no matter haha. I'm watching a documentary right now so I still haven't watched the videos I posted heh

What they showed of RE7 was first person. They showed nothing of Batman; while I agree third person Batman would be a game I'd be very happy to play in VR, I don't think they'll go that direction with it. "The promise of VR", "#behindthemask" and all that.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
http://store.steampowered.com/app/429830

This game makes me want a VR more. Looks really fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It looks cool but requiring 4x3 meters kind of kills it for me.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

What they showed of RE7 was first person. They showed nothing of Batman; while I agree third person Batman would be a game I'd be very happy to play in VR, I don't think they'll go that direction with it. "The promise of VR", "#behindthemask" and all that.

I finally watched them and RE7 looks like it might be more like Dead Secret, which I actually enjoyed a lot. The others I'm sure will get console fans really excited but did look sorta meh to me. Except of course the Star Wars game which would be cool, mostly cuz of the SFX and SPACE, but I'm not a big Star Wars person.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

It looks cool but requiring 4x3 meters kind of kills it for me.

Ah, I see they're going for the coveted "Alienating 95.6% of users of an already tiny player base". A smart move!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think it was originally not intended to be released at all, sort of just a cool thing they made that they'd demo themselves, but people asked them to release it so they did. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Someone actually made that fancy chat room. And it is free http://store.steampowered.com/app/407060

Apparently you can also play Dungeons and Dragons in VR.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ShadowMoo posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429830

This game makes me want a VR more. Looks really fun.

I just bought it. Glad it's not 4x4 - I can clear 8x3.5 max. Although I'm a bit worried my cable won't reach this far... we'll see.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I think it was originally not intended to be released at all, sort of just a cool thing they made that they'd demo themselves, but people asked them to release it so they did. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Yeah, it was originally an art installation.

Poetic Justice posted:

tbh outside of RE7 I found it super loving underwhelming. Like sure, meaningful VR content is still pretty thin on PC, but its still a million times better than the "experiences" that filled up Sony's conference. I was expecting more out of Sony's VR push than anyone else's this year but if that's an indication of what their launch lineup is going to be, yikes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People seem very upset about oculus exclusives but I'm not seeing much about Sony exclusives. Sony bought up all the big names. Oculus bought up some games that non vr people have never heard of. If these psvr games have any substance to them, people will flock to psvr because it has things they've heard of and it's easier to use than the PC headsets.

The only people losing here are people with a vive or osvr. Valve clearly doesn't care about exclusives because their money printer is still running full tilt.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Exclusivity Concern Troll Strikes Again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think funding exclusive games that wouldn't exist otherwise is good and paying for exclusivity on games that already exist is bad. The giant cop and serious Sam things sound like bs. Obviously we don't have all the info but it seems lovely to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

People seem very upset about oculus exclusives but I'm not seeing much about Sony exclusives. Sony bought up all the big names. Oculus bought up some games that non vr people have never heard of. If these psvr games have any substance to them, people will flock to psvr because it has things they've heard of and it's easier to use than the PC headsets.

The only people losing here are people with a vive or osvr. Valve clearly doesn't care about exclusives because their money printer is still running full tilt.

It's not as big a concern because console exclusivity is a thing that everyone is used to, poo poo as it is. That's what this is, Sony once again keeping a game exclusive to their console. What Oculus has been trying to do is different, making PC games only work on certain hardware (or trying to; ReVive is still working last I heard). There's a difference there; bringing console-esque exclusivity to PC based on what headset you bought is an unparalleled and unpleasant move on Oculus's part, as I understand it at least.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I just find it hilarious that one of the things that the conspiracy theorists screamed about right when it was announced Facebook was buying Oculus is coming true 100%. It was taken for granted that the :tinfoil: idiots were just freaking out about nothing, but to see that all come true, and then Giant Cop full-on going exclusive (timed or not) in an about-face and now the whole Serious Sam thing. Just lmao forever at the whole thing being totally true.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

I just find it hilarious that one of the things that the conspiracy theorists screamed about right when it was announced Facebook was buying Oculus is coming true 100%. It was taken for granted that the :tinfoil: idiots were just freaking out about nothing, but to see that all come true, and then Giant Cop full-on going exclusive (timed or not) in an about-face and now the whole Serious Sam thing. Just lmao forever at the whole thing being totally true.

If it makes you feel better, giant cop always looked really lovely :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

You know exactly why nobody cares about Sony Exclusivity when you mention 'easier to use that PC headsets', you just lumped the PC in one camp and consoles in the other, you know exactly why people are all bent out of shape about Oculus. We all know you are smarter than that, cmon guy.

Tom Guycot posted:

If it makes you feel better, giant cop always looked really lovely :v:

Yeah def, but it was slathered with Vive stuff all over it because of the control scheme. You can look through and see how he tried to scrub Vive stuff from his media presence, but there are still some tweets he's re-tweeted with the vive hashtags. And the code commit of removing openvr and adding in the oculus runtime. It's like some sort of sitcom or something, you couldn't even write it better if you tried.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 14, 2016