Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

a note from linkedin's ceo

quote:

Every day I come to work, I'm primarily guided by two things:

First, realizing our mission and vision. While this has always been top of mind for me, it’s never been more so than now. Remember that dystopian view of the future in which technology displaces millions of people from their jobs? It's happening.

[...]

The second thing I focus on every day is making our culture and values come to life. Ten years ago, had you asked me about culture and values I would have rolled my eyes and recited a line from Dilbert. But when I started as CEO I began to appreciate just how important they were. Culture and values provide the foundation upon which everything else is built. They are arguably our most important competitive advantage, and something that has grown to define us. It's one thing to change the world. It's another to do it in our own unique way: Members first. Relationships matter. Be open, honest and constructive. Demand excellence. Take intelligent risks. Act like an owner.

That's who we are. That's LinkedIn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
When Satya first proposed the idea of acquiring LinkedIn, he said it was absolutely essential that we had alignment on two things: Purpose and structure. On the former, it didn’t take long before the two of us realized we had virtually identical mission statements. For LinkedIn, it was to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful, and for Microsoft it was to empower every individual and organization in the world to achieve more. Essentially, we’re both trying to do the same thing but coming at it from two different places: For LinkedIn, it’s the professional network, and for Microsoft, the professional cloud.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

When Satya first proposed the idea of acquiring LinkedIn, he said it was absolutely essential that we had alignment on two things: Purpose and structure. On the former, it didn’t take long before the two of us realized we had virtually identical mission statements. For LinkedIn, it was to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful, and for Microsoft it was to empower every individual and organization in the world to achieve more. Essentially, we’re both trying to do the same thing but coming at it from two different places: For LinkedIn, it’s the professional network, and for Microsoft, the professional butt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

anthonypants posted:

it was in the tweet that linked to that article https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/742421000688664576

:lol:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if, with xbone s's switch to bluetooth for their controllers, that they'll improve the bluetooth stack on windows t- ahahahahahahahahhaha

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I wonder if, with xbone s's switch to bluetooth for their controllers, that they'll improve the bluetooth stack on windows t- ahahahahahahahahhaha
since windows 10 they're on the same operating system :downs:

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

When Satya first proposed the idea of acquiring LinkedIn, he said it was absolutely essential that we had alignment on two things: Purpose and structure. On the former, it didn’t take long before the two of us realized we had virtually identical mission statements. For LinkedIn, it was to connect the world’s professionals to make them more productive and successful, and for Microsoft it was to empower every individual and organization in the world to achieve more. Essentially, we’re both trying to do the same thing but coming at it from two different places: For LinkedIn, it’s the professional network, and for Microsoft, the professional cloud.

guy's pretty full of himself. linkedin is for job hopping and sucks balls as a social network

so basically no better company to lead the way than microsoft

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

since windows 10 they're on the same operating system :downs:

Bluetooth support is so bad that the JS joust people just gave up after a few months and asked people to play the linux version instead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FCKGW posted:

pm zen death robot, he might do it

it order to do it right you'd have to wrap yospos in an iframe and stick clippyjs in the outer containing page and then use the dom history api to make the outer page url match the iframe url, except when you navigate out of yospos

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
track competitor employees and their positions and resume changes, corporate espionage as a service :madmax:

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
when will they start stack ranking resumes?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

seriously, look at this loving word salad

you could spend all day unpacking it

i find this bit the most damning and revealing:

quote:

On the former, it didn’t take long before the two of us realized we had virtually identical mission statements.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

hell yeah more apps for the app god

:froglinkedin:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
has someone made a web quiz where people try to guess the company based on its mission statement? i bet the results would be worse than random chance

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if you're running windows 10 you should go to Updates & Security > Activation and then quintuple-click the h1 "Windows" in the content pane

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Someone do it and give me a trip report.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i wonder if they'll rename it lync'd in .com

lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Somebody replace the middle with hello.jpg

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Someone do it and give me a trip report.

how handy

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i have a coworker who uses windows 10 and i guess i know what i'm doing the next time he leaves his computer unlocked

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lomarf @ working for the other team:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lol guys this poster is named CHOME and he said LOMARF omg i'm losing it here

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

anthonypants posted:

i have a coworker who uses windows 10 and i guess i know what i'm doing the next time he leaves his computer unlocked

if you click 'change' you still need to enter a retail access code to get anywhere

what it does:
1. creates an admin account
2. create an account for Darrin DeYoung
3. installs demo software with promo material for ms products, store-specific stuff, etc.
4. whenever it's idle it'll go into a series of video loops and basically reset/refresh itself for the next user

i just thought it was both convenient and weird that this is in the reteail software.

e: i guess you can push ahead without a retail codeif you really want

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 14, 2016

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JewKiller 3000 posted:

δαρτ

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C.H.O.M.E posted:

CarliFiorina.jpg

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

C.H.O.M.E posted:

:newlol:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Mad? Mad about memes? Lomarf.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So how much healthier would ms be if they didnt but poo poo.

Like no minecraft, no nokia, no skype, no linkedin

Just spine off xbox and the games department.

No surfaces just slim down and run enterprise stuff for the next 30 years

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

But that wouldn't make their idiot investors happy, a company has to grow, grow, GROW!!

If they just found their niche and stagnated, investors would lose faith and stock values would plummet. The stock market is silly.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

max4me posted:

So how much healthier would ms be if they didnt but poo poo.

Like no minecraft, no nokia, no skype, no linkedin

Just spine off xbox and the games department.

No surfaces just slim down and run enterprise stuff for the next 30 years

what, and just print money from here to eternity? no sir. anything short of infinite growth equals failure

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

error1 posted:

But that wouldn't make their idiot investors happy, a company has to grow, grow, GROW!!

If they just found their niche and stagnated, investors would lose faith and stock values would plummet. The stock market is silly.

This reminds me of googles issue. They got lucky with some acquisitions, android and double click come to mind. Youtube might not create money but its great for brand.

Instead of trying to buy their way into a market or get in on a trend they could go the google x route and just create a research lab and see what it can poo poo out.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i thnk the iphone has made it much worse for a lot of these companies and broke their collective brains, and made them slightly more likely to dump money into a ton of dumb poo poo in the hope that some of it will be wildly successful

like, "apple was in the right place at the right time, and through a lot of skill and luck created the most successful product in history, the shareholders are expecting us to do the same"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

if you click 'change' you still need to enter a retail access code to get anywhere

what it does:
1. creates an admin account
2. create an account for Darrin DeYoung
3. installs demo software with promo material for ms products, store-specific stuff, etc.
4. whenever it's idle it'll go into a series of video loops and basically reset/refresh itself for the next user

i just thought it was both convenient and weird that this is in the reteail software.

e: i guess you can push ahead without a retail codeif you really want

it didnt work for me, but whats weird is that you'd do it through some secret click instead of just replacing the product key which is how product version changes normally work.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rdx doesn't change the product key, it just reconfigures the system for demos

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

C.H.O.M.E posted:

figured it's more they didn't want 100 reporters showing up solely to ask employees what they think of the new boss

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Triglav posted:

figured it's more they didn't want 100 reporters showing up solely to ask employees what they think of the new boss
yeah all those e3 reporters did the same thing to microsoft

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

outlook.com or whatever is giving me a captcha to sign out of the account

that has to be the most microsoft thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

this did not work on my coworkers computer, maybe because he's on enterprise :(

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

microsoft is very bad and makes bad products for bad people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

microsoft is very bad and makes bad products for bad people