Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I guess I've just gotten it with lovely people because I've never actually finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004
Just picked up a PS4 and a copy of 4.1 tonight, would love to get in on some online games

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Me and BigBoswell are in this from the beginning. PSN: Touchmy_body. Add me.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i just caved and got 4.1 because it's on sale. add me on psn to team up: alteredmoniker

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I made a presentation about EDF

https://youtu.be/pprh2GtQOdk

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There a good starter guide for 4.1 they didn't seem to explain much.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

If you or your friends are being eaten by bugs, shoot the bug with the largest and most explosive weapon possible

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

socialsecurity posted:

What do you need to know?

Main thing for a new player is that EDF does difficulty different than most games. You will probably want to start on normal, hard at the most. Higher difficulty = better weapon drops, but the weapons you have will be too weak to actually finish most levels on a higher mode.

Also your online and offline progress are separate, stage-wise, but shared for armor and weapons. Just starting off, you might want to consider just playing through Normal or even Easy mode, either online or off, just to get some armor and open up all the levels.

Also, try not to play solo online, as all the enemies get a bunch of bonus health if you do. Playing with 2 or more people lowers this back down. The other difference between online and off is that online has armor and weapon limits for each level, until you've reached 70% completion of online levels.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Anyway to get more Wing Diver energy? I keep trying to do strafes and instead run dry and fall into the ants mouths.

Edit: vvvv Alright, time to practice then.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 25, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cainer posted:

Anyway to get more Wing Diver energy? I keep trying to do strafes and instead run dry and fall into the ants mouths.

There are Air Raider tools that can make it recharge faster, but otherwise no. Different weapons have different energy requirements, so experiment there.

I also read on a Japanese wiki something to the effect of the most energy efficient flight method being like "shuu...shu...shu...", I think? Maybe like _ . . in morse code terms? I've played around with flying like that and it did seem to get me a bit farther than just holding it down the whole way. I can't find the drat section now, but yeah, there's a good Japanese wiki you can google translate:

http://www2.atwiki.jp/edf41/

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

There are Air Raider tools that can make it recharge faster, but otherwise no. Different weapons have different energy requirements, so experiment there.

I also read on a Japanese wiki something to the effect of the most energy efficient flight method being like "shuu...shu...shu...", I think? Maybe like _ . . in morse code terms? I've played around with flying like that and it did seem to get me a bit farther than just holding it down the whole way. I can't find the drat section now, but yeah, there's a good Japanese wiki you can google translate:

http://www2.atwiki.jp/edf41/

Yeah, you need to feather the flight button for maximum efficiency, also watch out for your momentum when making turns.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You should only ever hold the button down when you need height.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Bought this game on sale and holy poo poo is it great. I ran into hard and immediately got a grenade launcher that rapid fires 12 impact detonated grenades.

Is there an easier way to differentiate between rolling and jumping? Also any tips for fencer? I'm about to go try that out?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's about a 45 degree angle from forward that will allow you to roll instead of jump. It's a bit tricky to get used to but eventually you'll find that analog sweet spot.

Also crank up the turn rate in Options, the default is rather low and it makes a world of difference when you're a stompy Fencer and less so for the others. As for tips as Fencer, learn how to shield-reflect cancel your dashes so your mobility increases by a magnitude. There's an even further advanced technique using the Javelin single shot weapon but I wouldn't worry about that in Hard and below difficulties.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also learn that your shield can reflect things, period. Very helpful against hectors and queens especially.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Mission 11: Also known as there are way too many ships to dodge on hard.

This might be me not having enough armor but is there some place to hide out or do I just need to do some missions over in normal?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's probably the first spike in difficulty, especially after your NPC crew all die off and their only target is you. Relax your difficulty level, progress to the beach stage (you'll know it once you've reached it) and bump it back up to reap better weapon rewards. Thus equipped (as well as increased Armour from playing normally!) you should be able to handle Mission 11 no problem.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

That's probably the first spike in difficulty, especially after your NPC crew all die off and their only target is you. Relax your difficulty level, progress to the beach stage (you'll know it once you've reached it) and bump it back up to reap better weapon rewards. Thus equipped (as well as increased Armour from playing normally!) you should be able to handle Mission 11 no problem.

Thanks! Will do! Ranger has been pretty fun.

Any equipment advice for a fencer? Got dash canceling down with a shield and javelin catapult. Been using a hand cannon and a flashing spear as well. Seems like just the lag in start up for shooting out the flashing spear has been what kills me versus the jumping spiders.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Get your reflect timing down, bounced webs murder spiders.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Get your reflect timing down, bounced webs murder spiders.

This helped tremendously. I didn't realize how useful the reflect is honestly. It nearly trivializes the spiders.

Now I just need to figure out how to take down the swarming ships with a fencer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This will sound dumb but the key to mission 11 is just...kill ships fast. The more ships you can kill the faster, the better off you will be. it seems obvious but sometimes people forget this and just kind of fight "all the ships" at once. Just take em out, one at a time, ensure you kill one then move on to the next. Do that as fast as you can. Of course if you're an Air Raider just go nuts with a naegling or whatever, but pretty much everyone else just needs to be straight up killing them asap.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

This will sound dumb but the key to mission 11 is just...kill ships fast. The more ships you can kill the faster, the better off you will be. it seems obvious but sometimes people forget this and just kind of fight "all the ships" at once. Just take em out, one at a time, ensure you kill one then move on to the next. Do that as fast as you can. Of course if you're an Air Raider just go nuts with a naegling or whatever, but pretty much everyone else just needs to be straight up killing them asap.

I actually made it through Mission 11 on hard with the fencer. The blasthole spear is way better than I initially gave it credit for. A combination of that and shooting my double revolvers into the sky helped a ton.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Light Gun Man posted:

The other difference between online and off is that online has armor and weapon limits for each level, until you've reached 70% completion of online levels.

This requirement is kind of nuts, what is that like 200 hours worth of playing?

This game really owns though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

My file is over a hundred hours. :shobon: All offline though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm at 63% and over 300 hours now. I'm sure if you managed to surf existing 70%+ games you could do it faster, or if you have a regular group, that sort of thing. Most of my time is armor grinding or playing with randoms.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean don't get me wrong, the gf and I each have 100+ hour saves of the two RE Revelations games from our coop, it's just kinda lame you have to wait so long to open a pretty basic feature. Kinda kills the point of going back and playing the early levels on hardest if you can't even use the weapons on other difficulties.

Does that same restriction count for split screen?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Online only. Everything offline you can use whatever weapons and armor you want on any mission / difficulty.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Is there more DLC planned for 4.1 past the mission pack 2?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
What do you guys think of this steamdb leak? Mission pack 1 and 2 make me think it's actually real, but it's listed as "Earth Defense Forth 4.1"
https://steamdb.info/app/411380/subs/
https://steamdb.info/app/410780/subs/

I've been getting into this game again but now I don't know if it's worth it to keep going if it's coming to PC.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

HolyKrap posted:

What do you guys think of this steamdb leak? Mission pack 1 and 2 make me think it's actually real, but it's listed as "Earth Defense Forth 4.1"
https://steamdb.info/app/411380/subs/
https://steamdb.info/app/410780/subs/

I've been getting into this game again but now I don't know if it's worth it to keep going if it's coming to PC.

My guess is fake, as much as I want it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm pretty sure those steamDB things usually turn out real, even if they sometimes take forever to actually be released. Someone else can confirm but I know some absurd poo poo like King of Fighters 98 getting a steam release came true based on leaks from there.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
As much as I'd prefer PC versions of the games, I've already played a ton of that particular game on 360, and a fair bit more on ps4. I don't really have any intentions of buying another version of the same game and starting over a 3rd time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah this game is a little too "do similar poo poo over and over" to play through again.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure those steamDB things usually turn out real, even if they sometimes take forever to actually be released. Someone else can confirm but I know some absurd poo poo like King of Fighters 98 getting a steam release came true based on leaks from there.

It was part of a steamdb leak from a while back that has turned out to be fairly true. It did include Half-Life 3 though.

VVV Mods & Cheating make me want the PC release VVV

Cowman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 14, 2016

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I'd be willing to start over again on PC, if only to play with some friends that refused to buy a PS4.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm over like 80% on PS4 and still playing so a PC release would be great, but I'd be quickly thinking about cheating my progress across. Does Steam give a poo poo if you do that kinda thing? It does have online play but it's (mostly) co-op...

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Yeah I'd get it on PC for the mods. I just hope they don't plan on selling the DLC packs separately again, I've only been able to play them a few times because barely anyone plays.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah I'd get it on PC for the mods. I just hope they don't plan on selling the DLC packs separately again, I've only been able to play them a few times because barely anyone plays.

Have the mods been historically good for the EDF series?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm over like 80% on PS4 and still playing so a PC release would be great, but I'd be quickly thinking about cheating my progress across. Does Steam give a poo poo if you do that kinda thing? It does have online play but it's (mostly) co-op...

It's a developer basis. They won't give a poo poo especially if you don't play online. Cheating's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cowman posted:

It's a developer basis. They won't give a poo poo especially if you don't play online. Cheating's fine.

Well mostly I'd just cheat my armor back / higher than it was. I could re-get weapons and re-beat missions, within reason. But re-grinding would suck.