Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought the Chinese outrage was because Selina gave away the Kimono thing but it got soooooo much better as I realized what was actually going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never change, TVIV.
Did i just start the new Mike Ehrmantraut's grand daugther speaks with his voice nonsense? If yes i am proud.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ben laughing at Jonah shooting himself might be one of my favorite moments on this show.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Jonah Ryan is possibly the best TV character ever, I love them realising that they've actually created a monster. It is not going to end well for Selina.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Did i just start the new Mike Ehrmantraut's grand daugther speaks with his voice nonsense? If yes i am proud.

Nah, sadly we haven't had any great conspiracy theories in this thread.

Throatwarbler and Air is lava just struggled with a heavily explained joke.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah, sadly we haven't had any great conspiracy theories in this thread.

Throatwarbler and Air is lava just struggled with a heavily explained joke.

Hey now! All I said is that I missed it at first. I didn't mean that I didn't understand it at all, I just meant that I only noticed it a few minutes later.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What?

I mean the making up of an excuse was a lie I guess but making up an excuse to leave the table isn't really an uncommon social ploy in a normal context, and in any case how do they know that Meyer didn't also talk with the Prime Minister of Kuwait? The making out with the daughter is a strange thing but why should they be offended by it? It has nothing to do with them, the reaction of the Chinese upon discovering Catherine isn't outrage, just "oh poo poo we shouldn't be here" awkwardness.

The subsesequent Chinese upping of their demands is also unrelated. Are you guys suggesting that the Chinese came to the negotiations with the idea that they would go for X, but then unintentionally walked into the President making out with her daughter, and as a result decided to dramatically expand their demands? How does one follow the other? They are two separate jokes, the second joke was that Minna's plan actually worked, and better than they thought because Meyer's anger when she pounded on the table was actually genuine.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
"Frankly ma'am, your daughters eyes could light fire with their beauty"
"Well, that's terrifying!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah Jonah loving up and not voting for himself and instead Jon h Ryan was loving great

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I absolutely cannot wait for Catherine's video documenting Selena's incompetence and ugly nature juxtaposed with Tom James being cool and good. That HAS to be how she loses the Oval Office and he wins it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Loved Gary offering to carry Marjorie's bag in order to swipe the gift.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

I absolutely cannot wait for Catherine's video documenting Selena's incompetence and ugly nature juxtaposed with Tom James being cool and good. That HAS to be how she loses the Oval Office and he wins it.

Possible but remember who's got the deciding vote:

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Jonah loving up and not voting for himself and instead Jon h Ryan was loving great

:cenobite:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
As fun as Selina actually being in charge has been (complete with her own Nixon moment during Cuntgate) I think I'd prefer a return to her constantly being poo poo on and scrapping for some level of influence, only with a hyper-smug Hugh Laurie instead of an anonymous POTUS just out of frame.

Either way I'm super excited to see where they take it. The whole thing probably getting decided by a combo of Jonah and Catherine is fantastic.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 13, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

"Uh, but good news is, you're only 3 points behind Jon. H. Ryan, whoever that is" killed me.

Followed up by Jonah's uncle: "Hey slick....what's blondie's situation?? Does she choke for coke?"
Dan: ":geno:...... you should ask her"
Uncle: *nods* "yeah"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Illinois Smith posted:

As fun as Selina actually being in charge has been (complete with her own Nixon moment during Cuntgate) I think I'd prefer a return to her constantly being poo poo on and scrapping for some level of influence, only with a hyper-smug Hugh Laurie instead of an anonymous POTUS just out of frame.

Either way I'm super excited to see where they take it. The whole thing probably getting decided by a combo of Jonah and Catherine is fantastic.

Right now, my favorite prediction is:

1) House elects O'Brien, Senate elects Tom. Selena's pissed.
2) O'Brien dies before inauguration. Selena thinks it's hilarious.
3) Tom publicly nominates Selena for Veep without her agreement. Selena is pissed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

"Uh, but good news is, you're only 3 points behind Jon. H. Ryan, whoever that is" killed me.

Followed up by Jonah's uncle: "Hey slick....what's blondie's situation?? Does she choke for coke?"
Dan: ":geno:...... you should ask her"
Uncle: *nods* "yeah"

I was sad they didn't follow up on that. I wanted to see Amy dress him down.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Jonah will grow mad with power and also even more spiteful due to no one taking his position seriously. He will not vote at all, which will cause some even more convoluted American election shenanigans.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I had the exact same reaction as Ben when Jonah shot himself. Ben is really the best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good stuff as always, for all the reasons already mentioned. I'm always amazed that I somehow manage to miss more jokes in an episode of Veep that there are in entire episodes of some other, lamer shows.

Throatwarbler posted:

What?

I mean the making up of an excuse was a lie I guess but making up an excuse to leave the table isn't really an uncommon social ploy in a normal context, and in any case how do they know that Meyer didn't also talk with the Prime Minister of Kuwait? The making out with the daughter is a strange thing but why should they be offended by it? It has nothing to do with them, the reaction of the Chinese upon discovering Catherine isn't outrage, just "oh poo poo we shouldn't be here" awkwardness.

The subsesequent Chinese upping of their demands is also unrelated. Are you guys suggesting that the Chinese came to the negotiations with the idea that they would go for X, but then unintentionally walked into the President making out with her daughter, and as a result decided to dramatically expand their demands? How does one follow the other? They are two separate jokes, the second joke was that Minna's plan actually worked, and better than they thought because Meyer's anger when she pounded on the table was actually genuine.
So this is why they say TVIV is bad at watching television shows. Yes, getting caught in a lie like that during high-level negotiations is really pretty bad, this isn't just bullshitting to get out of your coworker's stupid party. Like imagine if Obama told Putin that he had to cancel because his grandma died but was instead seen making out with his daughters in the west wing five minutes later or something. Both of these would be pretty serious breaches of protocol and would basically tell the Chinese how little Selina cares about them and the negotiations.

They actually say in-show that the Chinese wanted to demand the islands all along. But it could be connected to the first incident because being insulted like that is good excuse to ask for more poo poo during the negotiations - you're being a bitch to us so we'll need more concessions from your side to make this deal acceptable for us. I'd need to rewatch the episode to see how well this is actually supported but logically it totally makes sense. You're correct about Minna's plan though.2

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

This is the best moment of the episode by a comfortable margin and I am very glad to see it in gif form

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

On rewatching the episode I also really liked Mike twitching on the couch next to Selina until she grabs his knee.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Good stuff as always, for all the reasons already mentioned. I'm always amazed that I somehow manage to miss more jokes in an episode of Veep that there are in entire episodes of some other, lamer shows.

So this is why they say TVIV is bad at watching television shows. Yes, getting caught in a lie like that during high-level negotiations is really pretty bad, this isn't just bullshitting to get out of your coworker's stupid party. Like imagine if Obama told Putin that he had to cancel because his grandma died but was instead seen making out with his daughters in the west wing five minutes later or something. Both of these would be pretty serious breaches of protocol and would basically tell the Chinese how little Selina cares about them and the negotiations.

They actually say in-show that the Chinese wanted to demand the islands all along. But it could be connected to the first incident because being insulted like that is good excuse to ask for more poo poo during the negotiations - you're being a bitch to us so we'll need more concessions from your side to make this deal acceptable for us. I'd need to rewatch the episode to see how well this is actually supported but logically it totally makes sense. You're correct about Minna's plan though.2

But there is no logical connection between the 2 events. Even if the Chinese are as insulted as you say, which is a stretch and not actually shown at all, how does that change their actual bargaining position? Were they *not* going to ask for recognition of the islands had it turned out that Meyer was a competent host?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it's funny that despite all her failings she managed to broker peace in the middle east and the dual government with Tibet yet everyone still doesn't like her. She just falls into success.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think it's funny that despite all her failings she managed to broker peace in the middle east and the dual government with Tibet yet everyone still doesn't like her. She just falls into success.

Selena historically makes peace and fails. Jonah shoots himself and wins. American politics.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Throatwarbler posted:

But there is no logical connection between the 2 events. Even if the Chinese are as insulted as you say, which is a stretch and not actually shown at all, how does that change their actual bargaining position? Were they *not* going to ask for recognition of the islands had it turned out that Meyer was a competent host?

I feel like you don't understand the ideas of negotiation and leverage.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mcbexx posted:

But not out of spite, rather through sheer incompetence.
Which was hinted at by him needing another ballot because he hosed up voting for himself.

Jonah's incompetence doesn't need to be hinted at, it's always been one of his defining character traits. They did however maybe hint that Selina's own incompetence/narcissism will cause the spite that makes Jonah not vote for her when she basically told him to gently caress off by hanging up on him mid sentence while he started asking something about help with the New Hampshire opiate abuse problem. Who knows, maybe they're gonna make it so that Jonah actually does care about his state and constituents but is still an incompetent idiot, which could be interesting as it'd make the most buffoonish, idiotic character on the show still better than Selena, as she's purely driven by selfishness and only accomplishes anything good only by accident and it happening to align with a selfish desire of hers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's pretty cool that they mentioned that. It's actually true that NH has developed a huge heroin problem in recent years :smith:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I can't be 100% sure it's intentional, but I did like how the Finnish ex-president was wearing a dress with lots of red elements. Red is a very auspicious colour in Chinese culture, showing again how competent she is in international politics.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ooh, nice catch. I'm sure it was intentional, especially next to Selena's jail sweater.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd honestly be okay with a finale where Selena wins the presidency... but Catherine's video leaks.

So she'd be the President, but also a complete drat buffoon.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

why do all of you keep spelling her name wrong

have some respect for POTUS for gently caress's sake

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'd honestly be okay with a finale where Selena wins the presidency... but Catherine's video leaks.

So she'd be the President, but also a complete drat buffoon.

I think my favorite scenario is Selina barely winning the House vote, possibly due to Jonah voting the wrong way, and then immediately coming under investigation for impeachment proceedings because of the video.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's pretty cool that they mentioned that. It's actually true that NH has developed a huge heroin problem in recent years :smith:

To be fair every place with backwoods white people has developed a huge heroin population in recent years.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

QuoProQuid posted:

I think my favorite scenario is Selina barely winning the House vote, possibly due to Jonah voting the wrong way, and then immediately coming under investigation for impeachment proceedings because of the video.

Season 6 revolving around impeachment trials makes sense as a storyline, so I'm on board with this. The vitriol between Selina and congress would be magnificent.

How long will Dan stay with Jonah?

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I bet Mike will want to spend so little time at home because of three screaming children he'll actually start to take his job seriously.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I want her to win the presidency, going back to being the Veep would just be so... expected. Her becoming president would be cool and her current stint as president has been great already.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

comes along bort posted:

To be fair every place with backwoods white people has developed a huge heroin population in recent years.

The silver lining is that you get to hear "Narcan" pronounced with some amazing Yankee/Boston accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I want her to win the presidency, going back to being the Veep would just be so... expected. Her becoming president would be cool and her current stint as president has been great already.

And then she'd have to spend the next few seasons actually doing well or else she'll lose the re-election.

• Locked thread