Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The funny thing about Widowmaker is that there's a drat near universal agreement that she's too much.

Has there been anyone, anywhere who has said that Widowmaker is fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
On mystery heroes there's kind of an interesting level of strategy where if you can tell that someone on the enemy team happened to get a hero they're already really great with (say, Widowmaker) it actually might be a good idea for your entire team to drop everything they're doing and kamikaze that player just to kill them once and hopefully get them to respawn as a less effective hero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Night Blade posted:

The funny thing about Widowmaker is that there's a drat near universal agreement that she's too much.

her poison mine's fine if that counts

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Zoness posted:

Speaking of hammers what are some reinhardt pointers because i've been trying to play him more but I don't feel like I really 'get' the hero. I feel like my team doesn't get anything done for the duration of my shield (and I'm trying to not just leave it up constantly but rather use it to move from cover to cover) and it feels really hard to get in position for a good ult.

Play with friends. Seriously it's like half of Reinhardt's deal is beefing the hell out of whoever's behind him, whether it be a forward Torb, Bastion, Soldier or another Widowmaker. Don't charge ahead of the pack alone unless you have a solid support that can keep you alive for your ult.

Also D.VA is great. For the other team. She's basically a free ult battery for anyone who wants to smash into her HUGE hitbox. Literally the only thing she has going for her is her out of robot damage and her ult. Which Reinhardt can easily stop.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Just pick widow maker too, kill her, and throw in some light sauce in all chat like "rekt" or "lol" each time you kill her and they will switch to something to hunt you down.

flashman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 14, 2016

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Recent game as Mei: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOAIuUEbVM

I got called a fat feminist at the end. :airquote:

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Yeah, but they're talking about Widowmaker's fine rear end

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think Widowmaker should probably get some adjustments but I also don't think she's literally the cancer poisoning fair maiden Overwatch either.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

As a top 1000 reaper on ps4 I can definitively say widow is fine

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Countblanc posted:

little known fact, McCree is actually based of a blizzard employee named "Jesse McCree" who wears a cowboy hat to the office every day and wields a space revolver

All John Wayne movies are based on this guy too

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

her poison mine's fine if that counts

I had a guy complain about that after we fought to a standstill so I just put a mine on his only way out and for some reason he didn't see it

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Papercut posted:

Bastion is pretty amazing in random mode since the other team can't counterpick.

Played random. Attack on Nunbani. Defense team gets 4 bastions and 1 torb.

We kill the torb.

He respawns into the 5th Bastion.

We lost.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Widowmaker idea: remove widowmaker, Hanzo is now the only sniper

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grapplejack posted:

Widowmaker idea: remove widowmaker, Hanzo is now the only sniper

That's not really fair. Remove Hanzo as well

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

That's not really fair. Remove Hanzo as well

But Hanzo is moderately annoying at best for most players, only the good Hanzo players can go apeshit, and that's true for every hero. Well, maybe not McCree.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

give hanzo 400 hp and a rambo skin

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I love mowing down McCrees with D.Va. Try to run you high noon bitches. I have rockets.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Grammaton posted:

I love mowing down McCrees with D.Va. Try to run you high noon bitches. I have rockets.

why are the mccrees not fanning your mech and then flashbanging you as soon as you eject

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So after everyone telling me how good it is for the last month, I finally caved and got Overwatch. For the PS4, regrettably. My laptop's a bit aged so I won't be able to run it on the PC until I build my new computer. It's updating now. In the meantime, hi.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
tonight's inhouse stream, feat. me and ahhpple as bad commentators http://www.hitbox.tv/Countblanc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Opposing Farce posted:

why are the mccrees not fanning your mech and then flashbanging you as soon as you eject

Every time I kill any character with any other character I can only assume that it happened because the artificial intelligences who run the virtual simulation all our brains are trapped in momentarily took pity upon me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm not gonna read the last 100-200 posts so I'm just gonna assume this is a wholly original thought: Widowmaker having so much tech is just stupid. She's a good long range sniper who can do a ton of damage, and also she's good up close, and also she has a way of preventing her from being flanked (her e and her q) and also she has an escape ability which also gets her to hard to reach places. If she only had the long range rifle and nothing else she'd still be a decent character, yet she gets all this additional poo poo on her.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I think self-sufficiency is okay because almost all heroes have that, most kits are pretty overloaded.

The problem with Widowmaker is just a problem with sniping in general, it's an instant delivery of damage over any range that is highly spammable, which no one else can compete with. To even threaten Widowmaker, first a hero has to travel to her just to reliably hit her, which the Widowmaker will be able to see the approach, and even then it's a duel that a good Widowmaker will usually win. It's just not something that belongs when everything else is either short range or suffers the inaccuracies of being a projectile.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Nightly goon stream for another hour: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

a cat on an apple posted:

I think self-sufficiency is okay because almost all heroes have that, most kits are pretty overloaded.

The problem with Widowmaker is just a problem with sniping in general, it's an instant delivery of damage over any range that is highly spammable, which no one else can compete with. To even threaten Widowmaker, first a hero has to travel to her just to reliably hit her, which the Widowmaker will be able to see the approach, and even then it's a duel that a good Widowmaker will usually win. It's just not something that belongs when everything else is either short range or suffers the inaccuracies of being a projectile.

I think we're saying the same thing really. She's really good at long range, and being self sufficient would be fine, but she's also (by being a long range sniper plus her abilities) too good at being self sufficient the whole step. If there's a widowmaker on the other team you have to either have a better widowmaker, or put in a lot of effort just to disrupt her.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 14, 2016

ils
Jan 22, 2001
Does anyone else have trouble with matchmaking after leaving a game? I'll often leave and re-enter matchmaking if I get stuck with a really dumb group, and for whatever reason it seems to take 10x as long to find a game when I do that. I've seen the timer get as high as 1-2 minutes trying to find a match.

When I do this I usually bail at the screen where the enemy team is posing, or shortly into PotG. Do I need to wait longer or something? I really hope the game doesn't insist that I look at numbers after every match.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ils posted:

Does anyone else have trouble with matchmaking after leaving a game? I'll often leave and re-enter matchmaking if I get stuck with a really dumb group, and for whatever reason it seems to take 10x as long to find a game when I do that. I've seen the timer get as high as 1-2 minutes trying to find a match.

When I do this I usually bail at the screen where the enemy team is posing, or shortly into PotG. Do I need to wait longer or something? I really hope the game doesn't insist that I look at numbers after every match.

If the game has less than a certain amount of players, it will not move onto the next match immediately and has a greater than normal chance of dropping everyone back to the menu. When people leave immediately after a game, this is the cycle that happens, and by trying to immediately find another game they've actually increased their waiting time and the waiting time of everyone else.

So basically if you drop from a game immediately after it's finished you're part of the problem and people doing this are actively detrimental to both themselves and everyone else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ddraig posted:

If the game has less than a certain amount of players, it will not move onto the next match immediately and has a greater than normal chance of dropping everyone back to the menu. When people leave immediately after a game, this is the cycle that happens, and by trying to immediately find another game they've actually increased their waiting time and the waiting time of everyone else.

So basically if you drop from a game immediately after it's finished you're part of the problem and people doing this are actively detrimental to both themselves and everyone else.

The wait is not that long and it's not that big of a deal unless you're being held at gunpoint to play the game

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ddraig posted:

lol gently caress off

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Tonight we got into a game with three 150+ level dudes. One played Genji and on a whim I decided to check his playtime.

He had 83 hours on Genji alone.

:psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Giving widowmaker enormous scope recoil from getting hit would help even if it wouldn't fix the fundamental problem

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Give Widowmaker 45 second timer when she spawns. Whenever she gets a headshot, gain 10 seconds. If she misses completely, lose 5 seconds. If the timer reaches 0, she explodes.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Digirat posted:

Giving widowmaker enormous scope recoil from getting hit would help even if it wouldn't fix the fundamental problem

I think it really is the lack of bolt-action or any shake after firing that turns Widowmaker into what she is.

I've been poo poo at sniping in every FPS since the dawn of time. Horrible. Embarassing. But Widowmaker feels smooth and easy, I can pull my weight and do well. That makes me suspicious, because it's definitely not my aim improving.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I didn't even think about the fact that there's no recoil from shooting with her gun either. Now that is just silly.

When monday night combat released on PC the developers actually made some very big balance changes for that version because previously the game was only playable with a controller. They dropped the sniper's clip all the way from 10 to 4 for example, and even then he was still a big problem due to having an infinite skill ceiling (a problem most of the classes in that game shared). In a game where instakills and sudden burst damage are relatively uncommon, when you decide to make a character who can do enough burst damage to instakill over half the characters in the game from outside their effective range, under any circumstances at all, practically everything else in the design meeting should be "how do we keep this from being broken as hell in the hands of players with really good aim."

Coming from battlefield where long range sniping means you get to deal with ballistics like bullet travel time and bullet drop, and the need to headshot to kill someone from full health, her design feels incredibly amateurish

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 14, 2016

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Digirat posted:

Yeah I didn't even think about the fact that there's no recoil from shooting with her gun either. Now that is just silly.

I mean there is - it does buck vertically a little bit but it's so minor it's really not a big deal, at least to me. Just to clarify how I described it before I get jumped on. It's nowhere near what snipers in other games have after firing a round.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

God, there is nothing better than baiting that tracer whos been hounding you all round into stepping on junkrat's trap

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So what heroes are good for new people who are total idiots and bad at video games

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

JT Jag posted:

So after everyone telling me how good it is for the last month, I finally caved and got Overwatch. For the PS4, regrettably. My laptop's a bit aged so I won't be able to run it on the PC until I build my new computer. It's updating now. In the meantime, hi.

I'll play with you on ps4. Rc_cola_in_a_can
Tomorrow that is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JT Jag posted:

So what heroes are good for new people who are total idiots and bad at video games

Be mercy and hold left click on the blue people, the other heroes make you click on the red people so she's easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Digirat posted:

Be mercy and hold left click on the blue people, the other heroes make you click on the red people so she's easier
I heard that if you're Winston, you don't even have to click on the red people, you just point in their general direction

This seems In My Wheelhouse