Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Cryano, you know what must be done. :getin:

poo poo, I might do a thread for at least one or two of them. The entire series is a bit much for Let's Read, since there's 16 books in the Wingman series alone and 6 Starhawk books.

They really are incredible in the way that only 80s and 90s pulp action novels can be. Starhawk, in particular, is crazy enough that you get the feeling that Mack really has a ton of creativity for unique ideas and just can't figure out how to write anything but pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lobster God posted:

The summaries of these books on the author's website are fantastic:

quote:

Return of Sky Ghost – This was a big surprise, because even though it’s essentially a sequel to Sky Ghost, this book made Barnes & Noble’s web page bestseller list.

Again this is a story where Hawk doesn’t show up until about halfway through the book. Instead we live through Japan’s invasion of South America as seen through the eyes of the enemy, that being one of the Rising Sun’s top generals, a guy named Hiro Wakisaki.

Hawk and his men are ghosts to Wakisaki, and taunt him as such until he finally goes mad and kills himself – at least I think that’s what happens. It’s been a while since I wrote it.

Then the action switches to the Falkland Islands, the most unlikely place on Earth to fight a war, where Hunter and his friends have to defend a small outpost of good guys stationed there to protect a secret that’s a real mind blower, even to Hawk himself. Or something along those lines.

Very cool cover art on this one. Get a load of those 16-engine bombers . . .

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Starhawk 4: Battle At Zero Point, has a Captain Gym Bonz. He's described as "only 120 years old" and with a light green aura surrounding him due to so many trips to space, I think because of their FTL tech. I remember one other book in that series had a disintegrator gun that slowly made a person disappear layer by layer, painfully and over a long enough time for loved ones to see them before they faded away totally.

Spoiler alert: The alternate history WW2 in the 1990s ends with a giant nuclear bomb destroying all of Japan except for a tiny bit of land left over in the ocean.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

Still it’s a good story. Hawk has set out to find the evil Viktor who has reared his ugly head again. The devil himself has blasted off in a Russian space shuttle and now it is up to Hawk to figure where and when the super-villain is coming down.

Hawk literally traverses half the globe – twice – in search of the secret landing spot. In doing so, he encounters some “dreamy” Nazis, a beautiful young girl who likes to be watched, a few dinosaurs, and a young kid who has a MiG-25 that Hawk wants to borrow.

The climax takes place in the South China Sea, at a place called “Lolita Island.” Need I say more?

Ringo has a challenger...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh got an actual question for our 17th century experts.

Let's say you're raising a decent sized army for a campaign. Say 10,000 men.

How much money would you have to spend to raise and equip such a force.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I really like the concept behind the last campaign in Wargame: European Escalation.

The war goes hot, nukes start flying, and Europe gets incinerated. A bunch of soldiers in the German wasteland decide to massacre the government officials at the post-exchange peace accords, for no reason besides pure vengeance.

I've always wondered if somebody wrote a book like that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lobster God posted:

Maybe not. That sounds an awful lot like "Infant Island", the place in the South China Sea that Mothra is from. The series may take a turn for the awesome right there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lobster God posted:

It's honestly not Ringo levels of bad. It's the classic insane kind of pulp novel, where everything is stupidly over-the-top and women are living sex toys to be fought over, but the protagonist isn't a self-admitted rapist psychopath who listens to Cruxshadows and it's not virulently racist or anti-Islamic. The series did have a few movie deals fall through (I don't think Ringo novels have ever been considered for movies) and Goodreads usually has their ratings sitting somewhere around the 3 star point. They're just hilarious to read as an adult after growing up with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How can a guy named Hawk Hunter not fly the best and most coolest looking plane of all time, the Hawker Hunter?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Also that.

ETA: wait, no! Maybe he IS a Hawker Hunterkin? :pseudo:

chitoryu12 posted:

the protagonist isn't a self-admitted rapist psychopath who listens to Cruxshadows
Wait, what? This is actually a thing somewhere? :psyduck:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
In what possible scenario is there only one F16 left in the world, those things are everywhere.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How can a guy named Hawk Hunter not fly the best and most coolest looking plane of all time, the Hawker Hunter?

HAWKER HUNTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzOXPOT2AE

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Does the book ever explain where he gets the parts to keep his F-16 running?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

(I don't think Ringo novels have ever been considered for movies)up with them.

From what I've heard from random third parties who give enough of a poo poo to read about old message board drama, Ringo is super salty about this. Something something hollywood liberals something, instead of the fact that his books have an admitted rapist pedophile as the hero and all of the political subtlety of a chic tract.

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait, what? This is actually a thing somewhere? :psyduck:

yeeeeeaaaahhhh. . . he has multiple people, independently and without prompting from one another, singing lovely Cruxshadows songs during their glorious last stand warrior's death, waiting for the valkeries to carry them off to Valhalla,* moments.

*in some cases quite literally as he heavily features a lost band of Vikings / Varagian Guard lost in the backwaters of Georgia (country not state) for a thousand years or so

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Splode posted:

In what possible scenario is there only one F16 left in the world, those things are everywhere.

I think the justification is that the Soviets or something started destroying American military gear that wasn't woefully obsolete, and only Hawk's old Thunderbird F-16 was hidden and saved. It's been like 8 or 9 years since I read the first book.

pthighs posted:

Does the book ever explain where he gets the parts to keep his F-16 running?

Not really. They do manage to find the parts to miraculously turn it into an F-16XL once. Hawk is also a master mechanic (because of course he is), so I think he scavenges poo poo from elsewhere. There might also have been parts and munitions that the burgeoning Free America uncovers from hidden caches or captures in war.

It actually ends up being really neat in its own pulpy way because of the sheer scale of everything. Like one book is about traveling around the country finding the black boxes of a flight of B-1 bombers that can all be slaved together for combined bombing runs, and he goes to Pearl Harbor to find one hidden in the memorial there (I think this is the book where he knocks out some checkpoint guards by giving them free cocaine laced with tranquilizer, because every bad guy is a drug addict and there's just mountains of coke and heroin everywhere). He gets attacked by Cold War-era jets (during which he shoots a pair of bombs out of the air with an M16, because his signature weapon is a full auto M16 loaded with magazines full of tracer rounds that he uses a few times to scare tribals) and jumps into an A-1 Skyraider nearby to win a dogfight against the jets.

And then he of course gets all the black boxes and the B-1s do a giant bombing run near St. Louis, because the Soviets have given one of the post-war nations of America enough SAMs to divide the country in half and they need to be destroyed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

yeeeeeaaaahhhh. . . he has multiple people, independently and without prompting from one another, singing lovely Cruxshadows songs during their glorious last stand warrior's death, waiting for the valkeries to carry them off to Valhalla,* moments.

*in some cases quite literally as he heavily features a lost band of Vikings / Varagian Guard lost in the backwaters of Georgia (country not state) for a thousand years or so

In fairness random Cruxshadows interludes are a really good stylistic match for the rest of the books.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
There should just really be a general lets read crazy military pulp themed books mega thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SeanBeansShako posted:

There should just really be a general lets read crazy military pulp themed books mega thread.

Oh Tom Clancy No

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cyrano4747 posted:

Having met the Cruxshadows (did you know the umlaut makes the x silent? :smithicide:) this is just blowing my mind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Having met the Cruxshadows (did you know the umlaut makes the x silent? :smithicide:) this is just blowing my mind.

Just wait until you read the thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

Just wait until you read the thing.

There's a whole second thread now, with many more of those awful books read and dissected.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
oh David Weber no

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Grognan posted:

oh David Weber no
I gotta wade through the whole thread before I can ask that. Him and David Drake, I remember them as being bigger and saner than Ringo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ive still got a soft spot for david weber, he's got the balls to make the queen of space england black

too bad the cover art for the MC makes her look white as hell

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
he might go on long screeds over the superiority of laissez faire constitutional monarchies, but at least he's not an outright racist or sexist

also, the only thing he hates more than lefties are tories

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phobophilia posted:

he might go on long screeds over the superiority of laissez faire constitutional monarchies, but at least he's not an outright racist or sexist

also, the only thing he hates more than lefties are tories

And he acknowledges that homosexuals exist and doesn't reduce them to jokes and/or evil. I've only read the first Honor Harrington book and the Safehold series, though. The latter occasionally acknowledges the existence of homosexuality but has yet to actually have any gay characters.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Recent Weber is certainly something. On the one hand, Eric Flint taught him that not all liberals are bad, so the more recent books have less political craziness. Unfortunately, that just leaves more room for five more repetitions of "Out of the 159,000 missiles, 20,000 were fooled by ECM. Countermissiles killed another 35,000 and the point defense lasers stopped another 47,000. That left 57,000 missiles enveloping Task Force 73, and the ships writhed in agony as bomb-pumped lasers stabbed deep into their armor." Over and over and over.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So what was with the early 20th century Naval Treaties? I get vaguely that they were there as a polite way to avoid a massive bankrupty arms-race, but I'm curious about the specifics. How did they get negotiated? How were they enforced? Were people really so worried about someone building a gigantic battleship, larger and more deadly than all the other battleships, that they needed an international arms treaty as though battleships were nuclear weapons? How did this work?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

And Patriot Games wasn't bad except for Clancy's readily-apparent hard-on for the House of Windsor.

Also a hard on for flat taxes and the elimination of Capital Gains tax started about here.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

captain poopfister posted:

I didn't know that the invasion of Italy was such a slap fight. Jesus.

Didn't stop people from claiming that the soldiers in Italy was having a holiday and avoiding D-Day, leading to this wonderful song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Day_Dodgers

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

blackmongoose posted:

Recent Weber is certainly something. On the one hand, Eric Flint taught him that not all liberals are bad, so the more recent books have less political craziness. Unfortunately, that just leaves more room for five more repetitions of "Out of the 159,000 missiles, 20,000 were fooled by ECM. Countermissiles killed another 35,000 and the point defense lasers stopped another 47,000. That left 57,000 missiles enveloping Task Force 73, and the ships writhed in agony as bomb-pumped lasers stabbed deep into their armor." Over and over and over.

yeh, the best books were when they were underdogs running things by the skin of their teeth

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Thanqol posted:

So what was with the early 20th century Naval Treaties? I get vaguely that they were there as a polite way to avoid a massive bankrupty arms-race, but I'm curious about the specifics. How did they get negotiated? How were they enforced? Were people really so worried about someone building a gigantic battleship, larger and more deadly than all the other battleships, that they needed an international arms treaty as though battleships were nuclear weapons? How did this work?

Japan was poor, the British Empire found itself newly poor, the US was thrifty as hell, France and Italy were exhausted, and Germany had no say in things. Ships after WWI were trending hard to battleships the size of the Yamato and cruisers the size of the Alaskas. Nobody except for the Japanese hardliners wanted to pay for it, so they sat down and worked out that the UK and US had to deal with two oceans and Japan one, so they'd set up a 5:5:3 ratio so that Japan could have superiority if they could focus in one ocean. They were enforced by the right to waive the restrictions if someone else broke them (alternately, they were enforced poorly).

But basically nobody really wanted to pay for a rat race consisting of squadrons of Yamato sized battleships.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, yes, the Yamato gap.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Klaus88 posted:

Random name generators exist for those who are unable to to come up with un-sueish names. :psypop:
a luxury which was denied to the parents of the people I study, every drat one of them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

i'm in if you're in, all the 1632 books/stories are available for free
oh gustavus adolphus no

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can someone remind me what the 1632 series is about? I only remember it being so insane I didn't go for it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

i'm in if you're in, all the 1632 books/stories are available for free
oh gustavus adolphus no

I would enjoy seeing some quality snark around those books, personally. :getin:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Can someone remind me what the 1632 series is about? I only remember it being so insane I didn't go for it
a small west virginia town time travels back to the 30yw
notable for having everyone who agrees with the main characters be Good Guys and vice versa, so you get things like Gustavus Adolphus being a sort of proto-liberal who is very concerned about the wellbeing of the civilians near where his army is.
no moral shades of grey whatsoever are found in this book

in the later short stories where some author figures out that Wallenstein was actually really rad he switches sides to like Our Heroes after all, because it's impossible in these books for the protagonists to have enemies who are also badass (or, God forbid, people who are enemies in some ways and allies in others!), you must either suck completely or be down with the protagonists

edit: you might like the parts where most of the authors are leftists and commies

edit 2: the technical/scientific details are also fantastic, like how nobody in this town is troubled with food shortages or sewage problems, everything still works as it would have so you have people eating cereal out of their fridges, etc.

Also the 1630s people are at risk from the diseases modern people carry but not vice versa because modern microbes are "more evolved" than 17th century ones.

edit 3: also cultural change mostly only works from us to them, so you have early modern people beginning to like country/western or baseball, but no modern Americans developing a taste for lute music, picaresque adventure novels, or huge floppy hats. it's like the microbes thing, most of the authors assumed we'd just dominate them in every way and this shows up in interesting areas, probably subconsciously.

Really I think that the modern Americans would live to see their children and grandchildren grow up "early modern," and that culture clash would be a good hook for a short story. Parents Earl and Barb Smith; daughter Lakynn Jantzsch, nee Smith; grandchildren Ambrosius and Maximilliana Jantzsch.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Oh got an actual question for our 17th century experts.

Let's say you're raising a decent sized army for a campaign. Say 10,000 men.

How much money would you have to spend to raise and equip such a force.

Here are some prices: http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/120D/Money.html

If you're making a game, just use 'gold pieces' or something and make it fun instead of spending your time trying to find realistic prices. Trust me on this.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember the David Drake Hammer's Slammers stories to be pretty good military scifi spacepulp.

• Locked thread