Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think Roadhog is probably the easiest hero in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

JT Jag posted:

I heard that if you're Winston, you don't even have to click on the red people, you just point in their general direction

This seems In My Wheelhouse

I woould argue Winston is actually harder to play than say, Reinhardt, since you have to know when to leap in, who to leap on, when to use your shield, etc

Compared to Reinhardt which is basically 'Hold Right Click and shield team, left click if someone gets close to you'. Roadhog is pretty easy too

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JT Jag posted:

So what heroes are good for new people who are total idiots and bad at video games

Winston jumps at people and shoots a cone of lightning at them that doesn't do a ton of damage but is easy to hit with.
Lucio is a healer that heals people just by being around them, and that's almost all you're expected to do with him.
Torbjorn builds a turret that handles itself and has a decent pistol/shotgun weapon.
Bastion requires you to actually aim, but does over 500 DPS so you just need to gently graze people to kill them.
Roadhog has the most health and a big self-heal, but you'll need to aim his hook and followup shotgun blast to get kills.
Junkrat poops so many explosives everywhere that you'll hit people even without aiming at them.

I'd argue that Reinhardt isn't as great for a first-timer because you need to work more closely with your team than with most heroes. If you're not even sure which direction is the right way to go, you're going to have a hard time leading a push.

Away all Goats posted:

I woould argue Winston is actually harder to play than say, Reinhardt, since you have to know when to leap in, who to leap on, when to use your shield, etc

At low levels of play, Winston is great just as a distraction. And all you need to know for those questions: Leap in now, leap on the purple sniper lady if one's around, and use you shield when people start shooting at you.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Had a pretty crazy Mystery Heroes round attacking onto King's Row.

The enemy team started out with 3 Reinhardts a Symmetra and I think a Lucio. We had two Hanzo's (I was one). The Reinhardts stood blocking the chokepoint and rotated their shields. None of us started out with enough power to burst them all down, nor was slipping behind them via wall climb enough to deal with the forces keeping an eye on the point. After a couple deaths I spawned in as Zarya and we managed to bust through and get into the point on overtime, capturing it. It wasn't too tough to get it to the next checkpoint, but breaking through the enemy defense at the far end was quite difficult. I spawned in during overtime as Tracer. The enemy Mei tossed a Blizzard onto the payload to lock us off. I sacrificed myself and hopped onto the cart to keep overtime alive, even though I was frozen. It seems like the rest of the team took out most of the forces because when I thawed all I had left to deal with was a widowmaker, which I killed and we pushed the last few feet for victory.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Tom Gorman posted:

I think it really is the lack of bolt-action or any shake after firing that turns Widowmaker into what she is.

I've been poo poo at sniping in every FPS since the dawn of time. Horrible. Embarassing. But Widowmaker feels smooth and easy, I can pull my weight and do well. That makes me suspicious, because it's definitely not my aim improving.

Yeah, the ability to so rapidly fire shots with basically no recoil is monstrous. The aim of your gun in scoped mode so quickly returns to equilibrium that it really becomes a non-factor. At the same time I can't help but think the slightly oversized head hitboxes aren't exactly helping.

On the other hand, a lot of things in Overwatch seem to really be designed with like 2010s decade usability in mind - Rocket jumping? Killing yourself to get height? Create a class that can do that naturally with jump jets instead. Not used to unusual game mechanics? Play a lot of CoD? We've got a character for that. Not that great at aiming? Be a tank! Not a great sniper? Widowmaker apparently.

Like, here's a triple-kill headshot combo I got with Widowmaker this weekend. I guess the lower sensitivity might be helping? But you can clearly see that I'm landing those shots more on like the shoulders of my targets instead of the actual head. That really is quite a bit of leeway. And even on unsuccessful headshots (I rewatched it like 3 times and made sure that that first shot on suddenly AFK McCree was, in fact, not a headshot) your hits usually just kill people anyways if they've taken even the slightest of damage.
https://gfycat.com/GraciousSilkyElephantseal

a loud australian dude also agrees with these sentiments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=607f_7WJfus

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Just fought a really dumb comp on defense of watchpoint that was three torbjorns a bastion and someone who was just hopping between whatever was the most annoying (tracer kamikazes, pharah, widow, etc)

Is there anything I can really do as a solo player to try to break that up?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Tonight we got into a game with three 150+ level dudes. One played Genji and on a whim I decided to check his playtime.

He had 83 hours on Genji alone.

:psyduck:

I ran into a 180-some Lucio who was really mad about McCree for some reason, it was downright bizarre

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I ran into a 180-some Lucio who was really mad about McCree for some reason, it was downright bizarre

I'm already getting a bit bored with even my favorite heroes and maps, despite being merely level 48 and playing a lot of random hero / arcade brawls. Being some ADHD genji for 100 hours in a month is just nuts on so many levels.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can we please change the title to Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Widowmaker

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Can we please change the title to Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Widowmaker

Yeah, sure. Any mods? Please and thanks!

Kuvshinov Ilya posts absolutely stunning art, and they've done some great Overwatch stuff.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Is the scheduled maintenance from 7:00 to 9:00 tomorrow a prelude to the content update coming this month? If so, I look forward to having the future heroes and their abilities datamined out by 9:10.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Yes please :gary: I never liked the current title but this is fine.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rocketlex posted:

Is the scheduled maintenance from 7:00 to 9:00 tomorrow a prelude to the content update coming this month? If so, I look forward to having the future heroes and their abilities datamined out by 9:10.

Most likely, it's going to be the balance patch for McCree and Widow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rocketlex posted:

I don't think there's any plans for a new hero later this month, let alone multiple.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I really would kind of crack up if they actually turned that one kid's hero into an actual character.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

I really would kind of crack up if they actually turned that one kid's hero into an actual character.

Birst is actually a legit option and pretty well-aligned with rest of the hero cast. She throws boomerangs so it would be kind of like Hanzo in that you can just spam your boomerangs here and there and you would get lucky kills, but also with a fairly high skill-ceiling to be really good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Thanks for the ideas re: heroes for dumb idiots, people. I think I'll give Roadhog and Lucio a try tomorrow.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm looking forward to Doomfist the 3rd myself. Odds are that he's an African gent (see the poster in Numbani), so there will be plenty of quality internet posts about him.

Viva Miriya posted:

lol gently caress off

The solution to this is actually to "gently caress off" and not to instantly look for a new game. Grab a drink, take a piss or browse your fabulous selection of skins and sprays. It's probably faster to wait 60 seconds then to instantly look for a game, find out your stuck with the same people and leave again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Regalingualius posted:

Not a bad idea for them to do so actually, it'd give them some good press, plus from what I remember said hero idea was actually pretty solid and unique

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
My friend pointed out something the other day, which is that there is no "stealth" class in the sense of someone who can turn completely/partially invisible and infiltrate the enemy positions undetected. I'm kind of wondering whether that new sombra ("shade"/"shadow") character might be something like that, instead of another sniper. But I'm also wondering if the kind of stuff the spy class in TF2 does is one of the verboten toxic playstyles Blizzard don't want to have in the game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

vug posted:

My friend pointed out something the other day, which is that there is no "stealth" class in the sense of someone who can turn completely/partially invisible and infiltrate the enemy positions undetected. I'm kind of wondering whether that new sombra ("shade"/"shadow") character might be something like that, instead of another sniper. But I'm also wondering if the kind of stuff the spy class in TF2 does is one of the verboten toxic playstyles Blizzard don't want to have in the game

Probably because of the reasons you stated.

Also with the smaller teamsize (compared to TF2) having one person uselessly standing in a corner waiting for the perfect backstab or whatever would be a huge drag on the team. Even a terrible widowmaker can press Q and contribute something.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

vug posted:

Maybe Sombra is another overpowered sniper with the ability to shoot scoped shots while stealthed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sombra literally has a large rifle in her ingame model, she is almost assuredly a long range character.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

redweird posted:

I think Roadhog is probably the easiest hero in the game

Every time a Roadhog hooks me, I get dragged in, stunned, and instagibbed unless I'm Lucio with enough charge left in the gun to right click.

Every time I hook someone with a Roadhog, they're never stunned, they're shooting me the instant the reel in ends, and no attack I ever choose instagibs anyone, not even when I manage to make a rare Tracer catch, and occasionally even does 0 damage.

I'm guessing it's the awful way the game pretends to deal with lag, this tick thing?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NTRabbit posted:

Every time a Roadhog hooks me, I get dragged in, stunned, and instagibbed unless I'm Lucio with enough charge left in the gun to right click.

Every time I hook someone with a Roadhog, they're never stunned, they're shooting me the instant the reel in ends, and no attack I ever choose instagibs anyone, not even when I manage to make a rare Tracer catch, and occasionally even does 0 damage.

I'm guessing it's the awful way the game pretends to deal with lag, this tick thing?

this is also my life but i still play him the most some hooks work some hooks dont idk its lame

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bolivar posted:

I'm already getting a bit bored with even my favorite heroes and maps, despite being merely level 48 and playing a lot of random hero / arcade brawls. Being some ADHD genji for 100 hours in a month is just nuts on so many levels.

Genji is a ton of fun, requires a lot of practice and matches with him are practically never boring so he's probably the most understandable hero to do that on.

It's the people who've play nothing but Mercy exclusively since launch that I don't get personally.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kanfy posted:

It's the people who've play nothing but Mercy exclusively since launch that I don't get personally.

I love Mercy, there's something great about bouncing around the battlefield keeping everyone alive and once that's done turning them into death machines that know no pity.

I've been damage boosting McCree's a lot lately, because I'm a garbage person.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NTRabbit posted:

That's your bad internet connection, more likely. Roadhog is one of my most played heroes and aside from weird momentum things where the enemy is hooked next to me or behind me, it has worked exactly as intended since the beginning.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

vug posted:

With all the stuns, slows and instakill stuff this game has, invisibility would be pretty far down on the toxic totem pole.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
My widowmaker game is poor, so if I end up in a match dominated by widowmakery (and this percentage chance grows as I do well) and see myself being sniped dead over and over, I just accept that I am not going to have fun. Instead of burning out my interest in the game, I simply drop match and move on. If I have to do this so many times in a day that I risk an XP penalty, that is my cue to quit Overwatch for the day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Watch the next hero be a stealth sniper that trades the fast charge and fire rate of Widowmaker for the ability to go invisible and set up somewhere the enemy team won't expect them. Best of both worlds!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My sprays keep showing up as the default during POTG and it's really bumming me out. When my torb turret starts murdering everybody, I want people to see me jumping in circles around and staring at a japanese onion cat octopus thing, not the overwatch logo.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
A while back someone did a few tips for Zarya which were pretty great. Can someone do the same for Genji? He looks fun in an ADHD Anime sort of way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kanfy posted:

That's your bad internet connection, more likely. Roadhog is one of my most played heroes and aside from weird momentum things where the enemy is hooked next to me or behind me, it has worked exactly as intended since the beginning.

I don't have a bad internet connection, I play in Australia, and the game fakes being good at dealing with lag by making everything seem flawless up front, while poo poo flat out doesn't work in the background.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I get the same with <50ms ping. Though I guess in this game that's more like <100.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Did you know that you can hook a Junkrat tire as Roadhog?

I didn't know that. I grabbed it before it could explode on a Mercy. And then I huffed some gas. It was awesome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can also hook the Diva ult.
Speaking from personal experience.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NTRabbit posted:

Same here, I must be doing something wrong with him. It's shift and then hold down M1 until the gun fires, yes? If you let go of shift, or press a movement key before the gun goes off, does that break the sequence?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shoot em with the gun point blank then hit melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The hook has a set stun time, so if you hook someone at max range, they'll be out of it by the time they get to you. If you're not at max range, you still only have a split second once the hook finishes -- you need to M1 them high in the chest and press the melee button almost instantly after the M1. This will kill just about anyone, although I think some of the tanks can survive if they don't eat enough pellets to the face.