Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Geop, to get NPC dialogue to move forward you have to try jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I can't believe no one has asked the truly important question yet: Does "fall into gravity's outstretched arms" count as a "try jumping"?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Ehh, close enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I can't believe no one has asked the truly important question yet: Does "fall into gravity's outstretched arms" count as a "try jumping"?

Mmmm-hmm.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Useless fact about the giant: his arms have hp. Meaning if you can get him to fall on his belly you can cut off his arm, his second phase doesn't happen. The damage you have to do to make that happen is a lot so it's very unlikely it will happen by accident.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

double nine posted:

Useless fact about the giant: his arms have hp. Meaning if you can get him to fall on his belly you can cut off his arm, his second phase doesn't happen.

Do you get a completely uselesstotally awesome weapon for it like when you cut off a dragon's tail in DS1?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You dont get weapons anymore from cutting limbs.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Captain Lavender posted:

For real though, I didn't even know that giant could plop on the ground like that. He just checked out for a minute.

For some reason, several bosses in DaS2 have these sort of rare attacks. Like I've put past 400h in to this game over the PS3 release, original PC, and Scholar edition, and I've seen that flop exactly once. Either the AI requires some really unintuitive set of circumstances for some of these attacks to happen, or they literally roll these from a random table, and some attacks are just really rare.

I actually like it quite a bit, because it can lead to some interesting surprises when you think you know it all already. Like I just died to that Flop when it happened to me, because I had no idea the Last Giant could even do that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Attestant posted:

For some reason, several bosses in DaS2 have these sort of rare attacks. Like I've put past 400h in to this game over the PS3 release, original PC, and Scholar edition, and I've seen that flop exactly once. Either the AI requires some really unintuitive set of circumstances for some of these attacks to happen, or they literally roll these from a random table, and some attacks are just really rare.

I actually like it quite a bit, because it can lead to some interesting surprises when you think you know it all already. Like I just died to that Flop when it happened to me, because I had no idea the Last Giant could even do that.

Basically, all attacks can be baited by being in the correct spot. If you want him to trip all you need to do is to not be under him (which is how most people fight him) . It's still rare, though. He'll just try to hit you with his arm a lot before he does it. As long as you are straight ahead of him you'll eventually have it happen.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Iretep posted:

You dont get weapons anymore from cutting limbs.

And thank goodness for that. It was fun for the smaller bosses but cutting the big guys' tails was always a huge pain in the rear end.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Ariong posted:

And thank goodness for that. It was fun for the smaller bosses but cutting the big guys' tails was always a huge pain in the rear end.

Probably a bigger pain in theirs :v:

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 13, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Ariong posted:

I had the opposite experience. To me it was way more troublesome cutting the Gargoyle's tails than, say, the Gaping Dragon's.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Frionnel posted:

I had the opposite experience. To me it was way more troublesome cutting the Gargoyle's tails than, say, the Gaping Dragon's.

Size really isn't a great criteria for what makes tail-chopping hard really. Gaping Dragon's easy to get not because he's big, but because he's ungodly slow and his attacks don't really cover that much ground.

Compare to Seath who's basic physiology sets up weird tentacle walls to his left and right that make it really annoying to dash around to his side even while he's barfing crystals on you.

But regardless of the situation I agree, that gimmick's always been a pain to deal with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

With Seath you had to chop the very very end too, and he was always turning to face you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Chopping Seath's tail is manageable once you know the trick, i.e. that he gets stunned when you destroy that crystal thingy, which makes it doable to dash around him and cut his tail with a high-DPS weapon before he recovers. If you don't have a build that lets you use one you've got problem, though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Cerebral Bore posted:

Chopping Seath's tail is manageable once you know the trick, i.e. that he gets stunned when you destroy that crystal thingy, which makes it doable to dash around him and cut his tail with a high-DPS weapon before he recovers. If you don't have a build that lets you use one you've got problem, though.

Nah, all you gotta do is bait his crystal breath, you have enough time to run around and hit his tail a few times. Because even a high damaging weapon might not be able to cut his tail as he recovers from the crystal being destroyed (A Chaos Greataxe +5 with 10 active Humanity wasn't enough, seriously.) It's not even hard, you just have to figure that out first. Until then it's very annoying.

On one hand I'm sad that you don't get items for chopping off tails in Dark Souls II anymore, but on the other hand it at least spares us from having to do that to some boss that makes it has hard for you as they can.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
What, like Kalameet? :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you want to be a dark souls badass, chop a tail with a lightning spear.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

IGgy IGsen posted:

Because even a high damaging weapon might not be able to cut his tail as he recovers from the crystal being destroyed (A Chaos Greataxe +5 with 10 active Humanity wasn't enough, seriously.)

Try amazing pyromancy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nah, all you gotta do is bait his crystal breath, you have enough time to run around and hit his tail a few times. Because even a high damaging weapon might not be able to cut his tail as he recovers from the crystal being destroyed (A Chaos Greataxe +5 with 10 active Humanity wasn't enough, seriously.) It's not even hard, you just have to figure that out first. Until then it's very annoying.

On one hand I'm sad that you don't get items for chopping off tails in Dark Souls II anymore, but on the other hand it at least spares us from having to do that to some boss that makes it has hard for you as they can.

I know from experience that it's possible to chop Seath's tail in one go with a +15 Demon Great Machete or by spamming Great Combustion with a sufficiently upgraded pyrohand. If you don't have enough DPS, then you do need to bait his breath attack a couple of times.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Raygereio posted:

I'm not including it on the graph :colbert:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

KieranWalker posted:

What, like Kalameet? :v:

As bad as I think I am at these games I at least got the kalameet tail-chop solo on my no blocking allowed run :hellyeah:. It was quite frustrating but I got very, very good at fighting that boss.

As memorable as the tail cutting was in DS1, I am reasonably happy with the variety of weapons and things available in DS2. I don't think it's really a spoiler to say that the boss soul geop has is used for things but he hasn't found the right place/person yet.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
I don't think its a spoiler to say they looked at boss weapons from DS1 like the Golem Axe and I think Ornstein's Spear and decided to expand on stuff like those, and even more so in DS3, or so I hear.

Edit: Also I want to invade Geop but he's on PS4. Blarg.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's actually what I think is the single best improvement between 1 and 2 - (almost) every boss has a soul, every boss soul can be turned into at least two things. Unique weapons in 1 were cool but impractical, they become a lot more viable here.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

anilEhilated posted:

That's actually what I think is the single best improvement between 1 and 2 - (almost) every boss has a soul, every boss soul can be turned into at least two things. Unique weapons in 1 were cool but impractical, they become a lot more viable here.

Probably a spoiler to answer, but which one doesn't? I think every proper boss with a fog door and such has a soul, but I do know some can only be turned into one thing--at least according to the wiki.

Edit: Oh, wait, I remember one now, nevermind.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
My relief was palpable at the 7:37 mark in the video. I think I actually yelled "oh thank god" at my screen.

What is it about watching other people play Dark Souls that turns us into raving lunatics?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we've been branded with the dorksign

Also yeah I might have choked up when she appeared on the side of the screen at 4:10 and no one noticed. *sob*

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 14, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
(original by this guy here)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Melentia's shop has one very important difference, and Goonther should take a closer look until he figures out what it is

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Titanite shards actually drop/are found/can be purchased at a pretty steady rate before you can buy an infinite supply of them. In addition, the ability to do so is unlocked fairly early, so I dunno what Vicas is on about. Maybe he's thinking of DS3?

The Ring of Restoration is an extremely useful piece of gear for the early game, and I love that DS2 was fine with just giving it to you here. Also you were probably thinking of Astora from DS1?

Rolling is really good against a number of enemies in DS2, not only for getting around their attacks but also for reaching prime backstab position. In particular the latter is great for dealing with those heavily armored knights (like in front of the special door).

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 14, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
There is a reason to keep your equip load lower, it's tied to stamina regen, too. If Geop's gonna rely on blocking, he's gonna want high vit for a good equip load and better stamina regen.

Edit: Also wouldn't call ring weight negligable. Granted, a lot are really light, but there are a lot of pound/pound and a half rings, and even some up to 5 pounds, which can be up to 7-10% of equip weight right there.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 14, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BenRGamer posted:

There is a reason to keep your equip load lower, it's tied to stamina regen, too. If Geop's gonna rely on blocking, he's gonna want high vit for a good equip load and better stamina regen.

It's also useful to note that the bonus from the cloranthy ring is percent-based and applied to your actual stamina regeneration. While Goonther isn't hurting for ring slots right now, you'll notice that the cloranthy ring is barely going to do anything at 69.9% equip load.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I seriously didn't know you could get Meletina to move to Majula. Like I got every other NPC possible to go over there I'm pretty sure but not her. Huh.

As a guy who stuck by my Claymore builds, the Grand Lance was an excellent alternate choice. Especially when I got my stats high enough to power stance my claymore and lance at the same time for those giant unblockable enemies :getin:

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 14, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
grand lance? GRAND LANCE? dark souls??? what the poo poo

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Grand Lance in original Dark Souls 2 was extremely late in the game. They realized that gating off equipment like that is a bit dumb, so they moved it.

The Grand Lance is fuckin' incredible and super fun to use.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Geop, try torch and then joy!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Laputanmachine posted:

Geop, try torch and then joy!

Don't spoil the solution to extremely dark areas pls

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008