Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Titans Wally Rebirth #1 preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/titans-rebirth-1-dc-comics-2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't care for that art, and I don't trust Abnett, but I'd like to read a book with those characters back together again. I might have to give it a couple issue trial.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Brett Booth's art is a little off for me, yeah, but he can tell a story. This'll be worth a look.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

That's the New 52/Morrison depiction of Jor El and baby Clark's rocket.

Are they somehow merging the two characters together now?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah, it's not like post-Crisis Superman's rocket hasn't gone through like four or five makeovers in the first place :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Some of the art is a bit spotty, but I am interested in how this will go. It will be good seeing this team back together.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, that is a magnificent preview. I will definitely be reading the gently caress out of Superman. Titans looks fun enough to give it a shot. I really like "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive." gently caress you, Barry. Plus it has Nightwing in it, so I am physically compelled to read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

That's the New 52/Morrison depiction of Jor El and baby Clark's rocket.

Are they somehow merging the two characters together now?

The rocket looks the same, but the parents aren't on model with Morrison's issue.

I dunno if it's saying anything.

e: Looking here http://comicvine.gamespot.com/jor-el/4005-9561/images/ it seems like green with a sun emblem is particularly silver age.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 14, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The last page seems to tactically put shadows over his midsection. Are they trying to cover up that Clark isnt wearing his trunks of power over his costume any more? Because I think the cat is out of the bag on that one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Was it Joe Kelly who had Lois go off on Clark for how the heat-vision shaving trick always makes their bathroom smell like burned hair? I thought that was funny.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know how burned hair smells like ozone? His smells like Krypton.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/MarkWaid/status/742733250657812480

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pretty cute variant although Bengal is such a weird choice given the book is being promoted as being darker than the old RHATO and RH/A

I'm digging it though. The best part is not Handsome Squidward helmet!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're not expecting any levity with Bizarro on the team?

Hal & GLC interviews and art
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/robert-venditti-discusses-hal-jordans-new-role-in-/1100-155642/
http://www.newsarama.com/29723-venditti-on-hal-jordan-green-lantern-corps-unexpected-surprises-coming.html

BTW, this new Zelda is very exciting. You can make Link skip :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't imagine how they're getting Bizarro to work as part of a group.

Artemis and Jason Todd seems like a match made in my nightmares, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're not expecting any levity with Bizarro on the team?

I know there will be some degree of levity in the title, is just that Bengal's style is more cartoony and creates somehow of a clash with the concept of the Dark Trinity. The body language he used on the cover makes me think of a Saturday Morning Cartoon or something. Is not bad just unexpected.

Mateo Scalera's cover is more what I was expecting for the variant.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A team-up comprising Red Hood, Bizarro and Artemis feels more appropriate for a comedy series where they're trying to destroy their arch-nemeses, but they're really, really bad at it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Red Hood doesn't really have an arch-nemesis though. He's more just whiny and "WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME" irt Bruce Wayne/Batman, over Bizarro/Artemis' clear hatred (whether justified or not) of Superman/Wonder Woman.

It's part of why Red Hood as a character fundamentally doesn't work, because he has no real reason to exist. He has nothing that drives him or sort of guiding ethos, so it makes all the times that he's a douchebaggy oval office (which is literally all the time) come off even worse because he's just sorta there. I'd even sorta take a reinterpretation of the character where he's decided to take down the Batman in revenge for DitF, even though at this point "Villain who has personal vendetta and knows who Batman is but wants to be the one to personally kill him or whatever" comprises a full like 3/4 of his rogues, because at least it gives Jason Todd a direction or a goal. As it currently stands his whole raison d'etre is "Be a total rear end in a top hat and whine about how awful Bruce Wayne is while constantly responding to his call whenever an event happens". He's got no purpose.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's like a BSS poster with a mask.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
All the robins represent some facet of Batman. Jason is the grimdark antihero side that already gets overexposed a lot as it is when it's actually Batman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think Jason Todd suffers more from the fact that he was the first Robin after Dick and was DC very much trying to make an "anti-Dick", but they went overboard and turned him into a smarmy whiny combative rear end in a top hat. And I've mentioned before how Jason Todd is defined as "The Robin Who Failed", but that extends to the metatextual considering how Death in the Family was DC basically outright admitting that Jason Todd was a failure to DC fans. It's also why he should've stayed dead because he was killed off not only as a good, powerful character beat for Bruce, but because it was DC giving up and telling their fan base that they were right and Jason Todd just didn't work. He's defined as a failure, not only in-universe but out of it, and it really does make me wonder why they revived him when his death is his most defining thing about him, which only happened because everyone hated the character so much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yo, Artemis doesn't hate Wonder Woman. She hasn't been introduced in the new 52 universe but in the old one they were rivals at worst and more often allies. She's only on that team because she was the volatile, brutal Azrael style replacement for Diana. Honestly Azrael would fit better on that team than Jason Todd but gently caress it, maybe it'll keep him out of the other Batman books.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Toxxupation posted:

I think Jason Todd suffers more from the fact that he was the first Robin after Dick and was DC very much trying to make an "anti-Dick", but they went overboard and turned him into a smarmy whiny combative rear end in a top hat. And I've mentioned before how Jason Todd is defined as "The Robin Who Failed", but that extends to the metatextual considering how Death in the Family was DC basically outright admitting that Jason Todd was a failure to DC fans. It's also why he should've stayed dead because he was killed off not only as a good, powerful character beat for Bruce, but because it was DC giving up and telling their fan base that they were right and Jason Todd just didn't work. He's defined as a failure, not only in-universe but out of it, and it really does make me wonder why they revived him when his death is his most defining thing about him, which only happened because everyone hated the character so much.

Are you familiar with Jason's actual appearances from back then?

Because Jason is nowhere near to be the "anti-Dick" you're claiming him to be. Even if we count pre and post crisis versions as different characters they had more similarities with Dick than differences (with the pre crisis version being Dick but in blonde)

The unpleasantness of Jason as Robin is part of the revisionism authors have embarked over time to clean Bruce from any responsibility on his death. Jason was actually a grade-A student, loyal and obedient kid for the most part of his career. It was not only until Starlin came on board as writer that he did his best to make him unlikeable since he was categorically opposed at the idea of Batman having a sidekick (he even went so far to pitch Jason dying from AIDS)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't Jason throw a thug off a roof to his death. Grade-A stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Madkal posted:

To be fair, I think it's left ambiguous whether he did or not. He runs ahead of Batman to chase the guy, and when Batman arrives, the guy has fallen off the balcony and Jason says that he stumbled and fell while trying to get away.

Like, it's implied that it's probable or possible Jason did it, but the main point of the scene is to introduce the doubt and tension between Batman and Robin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Revisionism!

Also known as: the only thing making Jason's tenure as Robin remotely interesting. Read The Cult or For The Man Who Has Everything. That's Jason as Robin in those stories, but it literally does not make any difference. Jason was so much like Dick his existence was completely pointless until writers started making him a volatile, angry street urchin.

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, I think it's left ambiguous whether he did or not. He runs ahead of Batman to chase the guy, and when Batman arrives, the guy has fallen off the balcony and Jason says that he stumbled and fell while trying to get away.

Like, it's implied that it's probable or possible Jason did it, but the main point of the scene is to introduce the doubt and tension between Batman and Robin.

The reader is 100% meant to assume Jason is lying there. The build up of that scene lasted issues, as Jason becomes increasingly enraged at the amount of red tape and laws preventing them from taking this guy down, and he blows up when it comes out that the dude is basically going to walk. Just reading that scene like a script it's kind of ambiguous but in the context of the story it's like, yeah Jason just fuckin killed that dude.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 14, 2016

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think a Robin who comes from a background of deprivation and uncertainty, who is rebellious and reluctant to trust his super-rich, controlling mentor-dad, is a really great idea. Sadly it probably wasn't executed well on balance in Jason's case, but the solution to that was to revamp the character, not have the Joker murder Batman's child sidekick as a publicity stunt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Travis343 posted:

The reader is 100% meant to assume Jason is lying there. The build up of that scene lasted issues, as Jason becomes increasingly enraged at the amount of red tape and laws preventing them from taking this guy down, and he blows up when it comes out that the dude is basically going to walk. Just reading that scene like a script it's kind of ambiguous but in the context of the story it's like, yeah Jason just fuckin killed that dude.

That's fair, yeah. It's been a long time for me.

e: although I still do think it's kind of important that, while the reader may be certain of it, Bruce isn't, can't be, doesn't want to be, etc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Are you familiar with Jason's actual appearances from back then?

He's introduced stealing hubcaps off the Batmobile. The whole point of the character is that he's a petty thief subjected to childhood trauma and unlike Dick, who Bruce Wayne saved immediately and made his ward literal seconds after watching his parents die tragically in front of him, stewed with the trauma of his childhood until it overwhelmed him. Bruce tries to do the whole Dick thing with him but it's too late. Kinda the whole point of the character is that he's meant to be a reaction to Dick Grayson, but he's suffered too much to be effective.

Madkal posted:

Android Blues posted:

It's pretty definitive.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Jason Todd should have been more effective at tormenting Batman and family than he is. He was trained by Bruce and the League of Assasins and is constantly made into a chump.

Todd should have been The Hush reveal for real and been the cause of Batman's "death" by sacrifice in a role reversal of "A death in the family" leading to Todd seeking redemption because in the end he realizes Bruce did love him like a son.

I wrote this for you D_T. No stealing my fanfic though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be clear, I'm not a particular fan of Jason Todd and think Red Hood is hot garbage. Just a shame about Death in the Family, because I think the character did have potential, and even if he'd been a total dud with no hope of ever being written better, that was a low way to write him out.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Android Blues posted:

To be clear, I'm not a particular fan of Jason Todd and think Red Hood is hot garbage. Just a shame about Death in the Family, because I think the character did have potential, and even if he'd been a total dud with no hope of ever being written better, that was a low way to write him out.

Although it did lead to one of my absolute favorite moments in Morrison's Batman, where Jason tries to kill Dick and Damian via the use of a 1-800 number.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Android Blues posted:

They basically ended up utilizing the elements of Jason Todd that worked in the subsequent Robins. The irony is that Jason Todd was the worst Robin, and a bad character, and Red Hood is total garbage, but ends up having arguably the best legacy - Tim Drake has the more combative, willing-to-question-authority elements of Jason Todd while not being a total prick about it (so a neat balance from Dick Grayson Robin being Batman's flunkie) and Damian Wayne has the concept of a traumatic childhood that Batman was too late to prevent from having a significant impact on his life, and the rage and predilection for murder, but it makes sense when that's the only thing Damian's ever known is murder and conflict.

It's also the fact that Damian is a very young boy when first introduced (and Bruce is an obscenely terrible both father and mentor to him), so we finally see him become less of a sociopathic prick when he's Dick Grayson's ward, over Bruce Wayne's.

Basically what I'm saying is Damian Wayne is the best Robin and Jason Todd done right, and the best and most sympathetic parts to Red Hood are when he's paired with Red Robin, because Tim Drake has that rebellious edge that Dick and Bruce don't where he can understand and relate to Jason's methods even though he personally abhors them. The pairing of Red Robin and Red Hood makes sense, honestly, and I always bought the idea that Tim would be friendly to Jason and try to be the most altruistically nice to him out of everyone in the Bat-Family.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

Revisionism!

Also known as: the only thing making Jason's tenure as Robin remotely interesting. Read The Cult or For The Man Who Has Everything. That's Jason as Robin in those stories, but it literally does not make any difference. Jason was so much like Dick his existence was completely pointless until writers started making him a volatile, angry street urchin.

Actually Robin has some great moments in both Cult and the Man Who has Everything (I think he was responsible for getting the plant off Superman) but those moments could have been served just as well by having Dick there and there wasn't anything different in the way he did things.
I actually didn't mind Todd in Under the Hood by Winnick and WInnick did manage to make him a compelling character with pathos (though any good will Winnick got for that was shat down the toilet by his brief Batman and Robin arc with Todd being the most awesome person ever!) but after that DC really didn't know what to do with the character.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Madkal posted:

Actually

Unless I'm reading that weird, I think you just repeated what he said.

Toxxupation posted:

Damian Wayne is the best Robin and Jason Todd done right, and the best and most sympathetic parts to Red Hood are when he's paired with Red Robin, because Tim Drake has that rebellious edge that Dick and Bruce don't where he can understand and relate to Jason's methods even though he personally abhors them. The pairing of Red Robin and Red Hood makes sense, honestly, and I always bought the idea that Tim would be friendly to Jason and try to be the most altruistically nice to him out of everyone in the Bat-Family.

First, Damian is not the best Robin. He's the 2nd or 3rd. Tim is the best Robin. Second, I think it's weird that you would think Tim would be friendly to Jason. I can see that he would be nice since that's his default way of handling people, but Jason has tried to kill Tim multiple times. Tim is another reminder that Batman just continued business as usual after he died. He didn't stop the Robins, he didn't kill Joker, he didn't hang up the cowl. In Jason's mind, everything about Batman after Death in the Family is a brutal reminder that the war keeps on going. I have to imagine that until you reach like a few years of Red Hood being back, he would try to kill Tim immediately upon every encounter.

Ultimately though, you were spot on in what you said earlier. Jason Todd should be dead. So should Barry and Hal, but that's a different story. Red Hood existing beyond Under the Red Hood never has and never will work.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Actually Robin has some great moments in both Cult and the Man Who has Everything

Does he? I mean, he might, but I read that a few months ago and only remember him looking at Wonder Woman's rear end.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly Jason Todd has only ever been good in his original comeback story (which got an even better movie adaptation) and in the prequel The Lost Days. Jason was the only thing Judd Winick ever did right, and the character got progressively worse after he was taken out of Winick's hands.

I happen to like the character and the concepts surrounding him, but it's a drat shame that no writer ever seems to write him in a way that feels satisfying compared to his revival story. The closest it got was that very short sequence Genevieve Valentine did for B&R Eternal with him and Tim together at a bar.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

First, Damian is not the best Robin. He's the 2nd or 3rd. Tim is the best Robin. Second, I think it's weird that you would think Tim would be friendly to Jason. I can see that he would be nice since that's his default way of handling people, but Jason has tried to kill Tim multiple times. Tim is another reminder that Batman just continued business as usual after he died. He didn't stop the Robins, he didn't kill Joker, he didn't hang up the cowl. In Jason's mind, everything about Batman after Death in the Family is a brutal reminder that the war keeps on going. I have to imagine that until you reach like a few years of Red Hood being back, he would try to kill Tim immediately upon every encounter.

To be fair I'm going off this page which is one of if not the only time I've ever seen Jason Todd come across as a human being.

(This is from the Night of the Owls tie-in for RHATO.)

Also Damian Wayne is 100% the best Robin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Actually Robin has some great moments in both Cult and the Man Who has Everything (I think he was responsible for getting the plant off Superman) but those moments could have been served just as well by having Dick there and there wasn't anything different in the way he did things.

Yeah that's really what I meant - Jason was not a distinct character the way Tim was when he debuted as Robin. You could go through those comics and slightly change Robin's hairstyle, claim it was Dick, and not have anything feel out of character or unusual at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SonicRulez posted:

Unless I'm reading that weird, I think you just repeated what he said.

It was my mistake. I was in agreement but kind of misread his statement.

Toxxupation posted:

Also Damian Wayne is 100% the best Robin.

Tim Drake for life!

It's funny that people also hold Dick Grayson in high regard but he was before my time so I don't think I ever read a Dick Grayson as Robin comic growing up.