Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're right, they should have thrown shizuka at kira as an improvised projectile weapon to make her 'relevant' to the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

Broad City with stand battles confirmed for Part 9.
Weather Report becomes a successful dentist. Anasui shows up a lot and just bothers Jolyne. Jolyne and Hermes doing bullshit gets them into more bullshit with random New York Stand having assholes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJ posted:

I missed this but my issue was that the baby was used as a plot device that was "resolved" by fishing it out of a lake and then ignoring it for the rest of the story apart from a footnote at the end.

People also explained, in their opinions, at least three times over several occasions what the actual arc was and you continued to ignore their input yet still insist this.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Vanilla Ice, whose existence is kind of an asspull.

Oh, like DIO wouldn't have a handsome muscular manservant clad in a leotard hidden somewhere in his mansion, slavishly devoted to waiting on him hand and foot?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Moltrey posted:

Weather Report becomes a successful dentist. Anasui shows up a lot and just bothers Jolyne. Jolyne and Hermes doing bullshit gets them into more bullshit with random New York Stand having assholes.

Weather is played by Jemaine Clement.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

standard owl posted:

Oh, like DIO wouldn't have a handsome muscular manservant clad in a leotard hidden somewhere in his mansion, slavishly devoted to waiting on him hand and foot?

I fully believe that Vanilla Ice was the Jojo World's version of our Vanilla Ice and he gave DIO free concerts in exchange for being in DIO's presence.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People also explained, in their opinions, at least three times over several occasions what the actual arc was and you continued to ignore their input yet still insist this.

The Joseph/Josuke relationship subplot is not an excuse to ignore resolving the Shizuka storyline which is the driving force of the chapter. Just because a character has served its thematic purpose doesn't mean you can abandon the current storyline half way through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It does get resolved though. They don't find her parents and she's adopted.
That's resolution. If she'd never been mentioned ever again, then you'd have a point.

"I don't like this conclusion" is not "there is no conclusion"

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

The Joseph/Josuke relationship subplot is not an excuse to ignore resolving the Shizuka storyline which is the driving force of the chapter. Just because a character has served its thematic purpose doesn't mean you can abandon the current storyline half way through.

:wrongful:

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

CJ posted:

Dude, the RHCP arc ends with Josuke somewhat reluctantly giving his shoulder to his dad; the Shizuka storyline builds on that conclusion and gives a pretext for Joseph and Josuke to resolve some issues with their strained relationship. You're right that it would have made sense for us to see Joseph actively searching for the kid's parents at other points in Part 4 instead of just hearing at the end that he tried, but in I Found Something Dangerous itself, those missing parents are less important than Josuke's issues with his own absentee dad. Expecting Araki to have followed up more with Shizuka is also expecting something that JJBA pretty much never does, at least in its weekly-format parts. When minor allies and antagonists return after their arcs, it's as hooks into new arcs (like when Hazamada reappears just so that he can tell Koichi about Rohan, or when Yukako comes back to obsess over Koichi again so that there's a reason for Aya to appear and to complicate the Kira plot later, in turn), or as nice little background details (Yukako is inexplicably having coffee with Josuke and Okuyasu when Rohan fights RPS kid), or for the sake of jokes (Tamami shows up during the dice game hoping to get revenge on Josuke).

At most, if Araki had cared enough to revisit something he didn't need to, we might have seen Joseph trying to put up posters about this found child, only to realize that he can't get a photo of Shizuka because she's always invisible. That would have been funny, I'll grant you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Her parents didn't want her and the police + speedwagon foundation, who we can reliably assume were searching for them, came up with nothing. That's a valid end for the plot point. We don't need a deep play by play of all the actions under taken.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I think we're all saying pretty much the same thing, just with varying degrees of :words:.

Amazing to think that we'll have a new chapter in our hands soon. I hope that the Damo fight ends with enough pages left that we can get some explanations from whichever characters are left alive.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope Damo wins and then poses in Hato's sexiest model gear tbth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Let me explain why "I Found Something Dangerous" is one of the best arcs in Part 4.

First, some contxt: Josuke grew up never knowing his father, and resented him for leaving his mother and leaving her heartbroken. When his father finally decides he wants to acknowledge his son by including him in his will, Josuke initially refuses him. It's takes extreme circumstances for Josuke to be willing to meet with his father at all, but afterwards he wants nothing more to do with him.

In "I Found Something Dangerous," Joseph discovers an abandoned child and takes care of it while trying to reunite her with her family. There's an interesting interlude where Joseph goes to buy diapers and necessities for the baby, but because he isn't sure of the babies needs, he just buys everything. In effect, he tries to compensate for his ignorance through his wealth.

Efforts to take care of the baby are hindered by the fact that, to protect itself, the baby can make herself "invisible." Josuke doesn't understand the purpose of the invisibility since, despite ostensibly being protective, it actually puts the baby in more danger because it keeps other people from helping her. Joseph, however, better understands the invisibility as an emotional response to stress, specifically the stress of being around strangers.

After Joseph moves to protect the baby from a careless stanger, he bumps the stroller the baby was in, and it looks like the baby accidentally falls into the river. Because the baby is invisible, there is a significant danger that the baby will be washed away--never to be reunited with her family. In responce, Josuke blames his father, cuts him off, and tries to rescue the baby himself.

Josuke can't do it alone. It takes Joseph intervening at the risk of his life for the baby to be found again.

Josuke is flatly astonished. Would Joseph seriously endanger himself for some stranger's kid? (Take note of his expression.)

We never do learn if Joseph would do it for some stranger's kid, but we learn he'd do it for his son.

In effect, "I Found Something Dangerous" is about Josuke connecting to his absentee father, and his father choosing to make a real sacrifice (not just a monetary one) in order to be apart of his sons life. It's about reuniting the "invisible" baby with her family.

This is also why Part 4 ends with Josuke stealing his fathers wallet. In response to his fathers selflessness, Josuk chooses to accept his inheritance.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 14, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Superb post.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like, ignoring anything else, what the gently caress is a baby supposed to contribute to the 'main' storyline? why would the child be put anywhere near danger? why would, say, kira or any of the other villains care about the child? what else is there to resolve? i'm genuinely not getting what else is supposed to come from this child being saved. would it be better if every few volumes there's a page-length reminder that the child exists? 'today shizuka bumped into a table and made the table leg invisible'. wow, good poo poo.

it's just baffling how someone could entirely ignore the actual reason why that subplot existed in favor of being pedantic about how everyone didn't drop literally everything to go on an adventure to find this child's parents even though there's genuinely no way for them to know where to start. even ignoring the fact that it would be boring as poo poo. people get annoyed at this whole conversation because it's like talking to a brick wall.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
Why does Josuke punch spaghetti and then we never see the ingredients again? Spaghetti arc is never resolved.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

like, ignoring anything else, what the gently caress is a baby supposed to contribute to the 'main' storyline? why would the child be put anywhere near danger? why would, say, kira or any of the other villains care about the child? what else is there to resolve? i'm genuinely not getting what else is supposed to come from this child being saved. would it be better if every few volumes there's a page-length reminder that the child exists? 'today shizuka bumped into a table and made the table leg invisible'. wow, good poo poo.

it's just baffling how someone could entirely ignore the actual reason why that subplot existed in favor of being pedantic about how everyone didn't drop literally everything to go on an adventure to find this child's parents even though there's genuinely no way for them to know where to start. even ignoring the fact that it would be boring as poo poo. people get annoyed at this whole conversation because it's like talking to a brick wall.

Some of these adventures, they're pretty 'bizarre'. Not to my taste really, wish they'd just stop dicking around and move the Plot forward ...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Where is this gorgeous Irene person?

She kind of reappeared in Stone Ocean but since then???

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

This is also why Part 4 ends with Josuke stealing his fathers wallet. In response to his fathers selflessness, Josuk chooses to accept his inheritance.

I tlike to think it's also a bookend to Joseph's part in the story. Both the first time and last time you see him he's getting his wallet stolen by a kid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I tlike to think it's also a bookend to Joseph's part in the story. Both the first time and last time you see him he's getting his wallet stolen by a kid.

...gently caress.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Weather is played by Jemaine Clement.

and here i thought he was already the perfect jojo boyfriend

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

CJ posted:

This is pretty late, but even if Shizuka actually just dropped off the face of the planet after that section I would still really like it. The plot of JoJo is generally pretty simple, with clear, obvious goals, and they end with the good guys beating the bad guys the majority of the time. How the characters react to the situations they're placed in and the people around them in this type of story is far more important to the meaning of the work as a whole than whatever happened to some rear end in a top hat invisible baby, especially for important characters like Josuke and Joseph.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://yonkouproductions.tumblr.com/post/146015787698/jojolion-ch-55-spoilers

Ooooooooh baby, these spoilers.

(Open the images in a new tab and change the 500 to 1280.)

She's Kaato Higashikata. Norisuke's wife and the mother of Jobin et al. Her ring says N to C, Norisuke to Kaato (Card). She seems to have a kind of a D4C stand, pocket dimension in a stack of cards

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 16, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man, I dunno what any of that was.

also I had a dream the other night we finally got to see anime Kira and it was really cool. I think my brain's broken

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Man, I dunno what any of that was.

also I had a dream the other night we finally got to see anime Kira and it was really cool. I think my brain's broken

It's quite straight forward from the spoilers, though the details are obviously in flux. Daxing Dan would be able to read it and elaborate more if he so chose to but he may not want to 'cos spoilers obvs but basically.

Hato fucks Damo up >(up in the air) Damo and Yotsuyu verified Kira's body was him and he's confirmed that Josuke's a mash up > Damo dies > Jobin calls his mom who may be in Damo's laundromat > Joshuu survives.

Also, Kaato's eyes look also split down the middle sorta like Josukes

My takeaway:
Kaato, the matriarch, is also in with Jobin's shadiness

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 16, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

standard owl posted:

You'd think that people would have learned after part 2 that the first (and even second) bad guy introduced is not the Bad Guy.

I love that the Rohan's Bizarre Adventure chapters have Reimi going "there's a prolific serial killer in this town who has eluded the public's attention for years! please help me solve this grisly mystery!" and then literally immediately after that Kira almost runs Koichi over. There he is. There's the horrible man.

Dio is introduced right at the beginning of Part 3.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm genuinely not sure what any of this means but i'm excited for it

also i'm glad i was right that the people who melted into the drain ended up in the sewers, even if joshuu is a poo poo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, it was the latter stuff that I had no idea on, thank you

Fuuuuuck, I never considered the matriarch of the Higashikatas. Part 8's still wild.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, it was the latter stuff that I had no idea on, thank you

Fuuuuuck, I never considered the matriarch of the Higashikatas. Part 8's still wild.

Same. I had just assumed she was dead because it reads very much like the mother is dead.

E: Rough summary of the page of spoilers I was unsure of
We checked the Hospital for Kira, and it was him. The DNA said it was. But maybe it wasn't 100% match. Maybe he looked slightly different. The mutated Rokakaka that did this is far beyond our understanding.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 16, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Same. I had just assumed she was dead because it reads very much like the mother is dead.
Same here. Lots of little things pointed to her being dead, like Norisuke calling off the family photo because Jobin's not there but not saying a word about his wife being gone, and the fact that Jobin, the first-born son of his generation, is still alive despite the family curse: I always assumed that Kaato had given her life to save him. Maybe she was saved by some kind of fusion, too?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Not at my computer right now but here's a quick summary:

The tagline on the cover says "there is only one way to pay the price for treachery" which is pretty loving metal.
According to Josuke's speculation, Damokan is working alone, otherwise his allies would be on the scene already. Either he's the boss of just a small team, or he wants to keep the Rokakaka secret to himself. Josuke tells him he should run away before Hato defeats him.
Damo had checked Kira's corpse to make sure be was dead, but maybe the DNA and face weren't a perfect match. The equivalent exchange that created Josuke is a level beyond Damokan's own Rokakaka. Hato kills him before he can bring Vitamin C to attack her.
Caato says she regrets nothing; she's doing this to take back the life she lost. It's all very cryptic.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Daxing Dan posted:

Not at my computer right now but here's a quick summary:

The tagline on the cover says "there is only one way to pay the price for treachery" which is pretty loving metal.
According to Josuke's speculation, Damokan is working alone, otherwise his allies would be on the scene already. Either he's the boss of just a small team, or he wants to keep the Rokakaka secret to himself. Josuke tells him he should run away before Hato defeats him.
Damo had checked Kira's corpse to make sure be was dead, but maybe the DNA and face weren't a perfect match. The equivalent exchange that created Josuke is a level beyond Damokan's own Rokakaka. Hato kills him before he can bring Vitamin C to attack her.
Caato says she regrets nothing; she's doing this to take back the life she lost. It's all very cryptic.

it would actually make a fair bit of sense if damo's little group of rock people was just working together to make mad cash off of the fruit, with damo himself at the head

e: like, to add onto this, jobin and his mom working with them in shady deals to get access to what they know makes a shitload of sense, and it looks like the mom is sort of 'separated' from the family so working with her son instead of her (maybe ex) husband to save her grandson seems pretty likely. we don't know much about her, BUT, this angle also makes it more likely that maaaaaaaaybe possibly jobin and kaato could be a bit more shady than previously thought? jobin working on his own with shady rock people to get access to fruit and whatnot seemed like he was just doing what he needed to to get help, but throwing another person in with jobin and establishing damo's group as sort of a smaller deal than imagined kinda makes jobin and co. look more shady.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 17, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Johnny Joestar posted:

it would actually make a fair bit of sense if damo's little group of rock people was just working together to make mad cash off of the fruit, with damo himself at the head

That would definitely fit with that time we saw Dainenjiyama selling fruit to that old man in the wheelchair. They just got these crazy magic fruits through Jobin's fruit industry connections and now they're dealing them on the side.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Begemot posted:

That would definitely fit with that time we saw Dainenjiyama selling fruit to that old man in the wheelchair. They just got these crazy magic fruits through Jobin's fruit industry connections and now they're dealing them on the side.

yeah, i was never in the camp of 'jobin is secretly evil' or some poo poo and i'm technically still not, but what we can assume was revealed in this new chapter sort of puts things in a new light where jobin and his mom could very well have their own very distinct agenda in mind and were using damo's group to do a lot of the shadier business deal poo poo. like, honestly, i'd actually be hype if the higashikata matriarch turned out to be the main antag in whatever way. also i'm wondering if her stand has the same king naming scheme.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was also never big into "Jobin's The Bad Guy All Along" but Jobin's mama is the finale antagonist and we finally have a lady mom final boss who strung along a bunch of dumbass rock people with a silly OP Stand, then loving put JoJolion in the record books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The first major bad guy in Part 2 was a guy who became a vampire to regain his youth, while the main villain ended up being a guy who was a thing beyond a vampire becoming a thing beyond that to be immortal

The first major bad guy in Part 4 was a serial killer, while the main villain ended up being a serial killer

The first major bad guy of Part 6 was a revenge bent follower of DIO, while the main villain was a revenge bent follower of DIO

perhaps jojolion will continue the trend