Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Clarste posted:

Because someone else said it was only 15 minutes, as if that's somehow relevant. I cannot abide nonsense.

Oh. My bad, missed that.

Gyges posted:

Plus he infused his lungs and heart with bungee gum. That's more than enough to explain sufficient oxygen still getting to his heart somehow.

Bungee and gum are both made of rubber, an organic and naturally occurring compound which has oxygen in it's chemical structure. Having both the properties of rubber AND gum at least doubles the amount of oxygen present ensuring more than ample supplies of springy, sticky oxygen to keep him going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tunicate posted:

But it totally is?

Whatever protective effects you get from nen should be able to substitute for medical hypothermia.

The nen may be relevant, not the time. Maybe nen can keep people in stasis forever, who knows?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think in the case of Indoor Fish it does not actually deal damage until the room is opened.

Yeah, everything the fish eat still function until they die. As a side note, I find any nen that creates pocked dimensions or 4th dimensional spaces to be interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hisoka wasn't sure if it would work. He had never tried it before, for obvious reasons. Even normal resuscitation can fail, much less delayed magic cpr. Hisoka got very lucky, is all.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
its a blatant asspull. just accept it without thinking too much about it and move on

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

lol are you guys loving serious?
"Multiple characters have held their breath for almost as long and been fine and survived injuries that would have caused irreparable damage to their bodies but this is just TOO UNREALISTIC"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

lol are you guys loving serious?
"Multiple characters have held their breath for almost as long and been fine and survived injuries that would have caused irreparable damage to their bodies but this is just TOO UNREALISTIC"

look I can buy a guy being reborn as a girl ant but gum reviving the dead? thats too much

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

To be fair, it wasn't just gum.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mugticket posted:

To be fair, it wasn't just gum.

well then what else was it, smart guy?

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

rubber

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This chapter was as great as this conversation about brain damage hasn't been.

Let's move on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've started reading through this and I'm at Chapter 99 (Killua's dad and granddad vs Chrollo) and my impressions are that the art is pretty awful to begin with and makes it hard to read, the designs of the heroes were off putting, especially Kurapika (I disliked all of him), to begin with and I wasn't mad for the badge stealing part. From then on though, it's been getting a lot better, the Celestial tournament was good poo poo, especially the Hisoka vs Gon stuff. (I know the fight in the 2011 is extremely lauded so I watched that after I read it too, good stuff.) It feels like with the Yorknew arc it's really coming into its own though and the art has found its niche and is good and Kurapika isn't poo poo anymore.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yorknew is where HunterxHunter really kicks things off.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've started reading through this and I'm at Chapter 99 (Killua's dad and granddad vs Chrollo) and my impressions are that the art is pretty awful to begin with and makes it hard to read, the designs of the heroes were off putting, especially Kurapika (I disliked all of him), to begin with and I wasn't mad for the badge stealing part. From then on though, it's been getting a lot better, the Celestial tournament was good poo poo, especially the Hisoka vs Gon stuff. (I know the fight in the 2011 is extremely lauded so I watched that after I read it too, good stuff.) It feels like with the Yorknew arc it's really coming into its own though and the art has found its niche and is good and Kurapika isn't poo poo anymore.

The art gets really bad again though. Then good again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roger Craig posted:

The art gets really bad again though. Then good again.

I've heard the art in the volumes remains good, probably because his wife redid it?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:ninja: whoops!

e: In any case, the all the chapters since the latest hiatus have been excellent. If Luffy can be an overpowered bastard with only the rubber part then I don't see why Hisoka, who also has gum, can't go on a rampage.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 14, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tunicate posted:

I've heard the art in the volumes remains good, probably because his wife redid it?

Yea, his wife redid the art for the volume releases of those chapters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Togashi's art is pretty rough-hewn at times, it's true, but the dude's got a pretty good eye for composition and panel flow. I can't recall a time I was ever confused by what was happening on the page, as is sometimes the case with other artists.

I also like that thing he does where the art's very sparse and simplistic most of the time, but then he'll zoom in on a character's face and suddenly they're rendered in detailed HD.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
yeah some really good artists tend to go overboard... like one piece the art is super great, styleized and detailed and in some panels is almost perfect... but often i have NO idea what is going on

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My go to example is Trigun, which has great stylized art but whenever action it's happening I find it completely impossible to figure what's happening. It's like there's several seconds of action happening on the same panel and it's just incomprehensible.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Nightow's the guy I typically think of whenever this subject comes up.

Trigun and Blood Blockade Battlefront are both impossibly cool and impossible to parse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Anyway, yeah, I really liked this chapter. Still not a huge fan of the Spiders infiltrating yet another arc, but I'm moderately more okay with it given the current change in the status quo. Likewise, it feels like Togashi managed to have his cake and eat it too by killing off Hisoka, having the favorite lose, only to then immediately justify him coming back from the dead; but again, it works because it's a game changer. Things aren't going back to the way they were before, and to boot Hisoka's now potentially scarred forever.

:rip: Shalnark though. Dude was my favorite Spider after Phinks.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 14, 2016

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
Killua is going to snatch Hisoka's heart out of his chest like he did really early on during the test. That's how Hisoka is going to die, cause he can't pull his bungee gum heart business.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Team Stab posted:

Killua is going to snatch Hisoka's heart out of his chest like he did really early on during the test. That's how Hisoka is going to die, cause he can't pull his bungee gum heart business.

He'll use bungee gum to form invisible veins and arteries so his heart is still working outside his body, then just stuff it back in after Killua leaves :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was actually a hisoka clone made out of gum.

His doublemint twin.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part about Shalnark is how he looked like a generic shonen protagonist or party member, but was actually a member of an evil organization.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Anyway, yeah, I really liked this chapter. Still not a huge fan of the Spiders infiltrating yet another arc, but I'm moderately more okay with it given the current change in the status quo. Likewise, it feels like Togashi managed to have his cake and eat it too by killing off Hisoka, having the favorite lose, only to then immediately justify him coming back from the dead; but again, it works because it's a game changer. Things aren't going back to the way they were before, and to boot Hisoka's now potentially scarred forever.

:rip: Shalnark though. Dude was my favorite Spider after Phinks.

I updated my Facebook with "RIP shalnark". For perspective, the last time I had updated it was at least 6 months ago.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I updated my Facebook with "RIP shalnark". For perspective, the last time I had updated it was at least 6 months ago.

What fictional character died 6 months ago?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So this whole Chimera Ant arc, it's a teeny tiny a lot drawn out as gently caress huh

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

So this whole Chimera Ant arc, it's a teeny tiny a lot drawn out as gently caress huh

Yeah, it's kind of a slog in the early bits, but poo poo does hit the fan in some great ways.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Team Stab posted:

Know what a heart does? Compresses and expands. Know what else does that?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Chimera Ant Arc takes a very very long time to get going and for awhile it's unclear where things are headed but it is most assuredly worth the journey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
honestly there were some parts that probably could have been trimmed a bit, but who would want less hxh in the world?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The first half of the Chimera Ant arc is the weakest arc in Hunter x Hunter, but the second half is one of the best.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder who was trying to call Shalnark.

The biggest 2 options would probably be Machi or Chrollo, I guess?

Machi could have gotten herself free to warn him.

Or maybe after hanging up Chrollo realized he lost Kortopi's powers and was calling Shalnark to warn him that something was wrong.

Or maybe it was someone else entirely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i bet shalnark was everyone's buddy in the spiders so he ended up talking with them on the phone a lot. so really, it was actually several people trying to get ahold of him. he just seemed like an everyone's buddy kind of guy, you know?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

i bet shalnark was everyone's buddy in the spiders so he ended up talking with them on the phone a lot. so really, it was actually several people trying to get ahold of him. he just seemed like an everyone's buddy kind of guy, you know?

Well, I can't say I liked him very much.

After all, he's dead to me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bad Seafood posted:

The first half of the Chimera Ant arc is the weakest arc in Hunter x Hunter, but the second half is one of the best.

I'd say only the first trip to the NGL is weak. I like the subsequent training arc because it reminds you that despite all the progress from Greed Island, Gon and Killua are still easily outclassed.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Eej posted:

I'd say only the first trip to the NGL is weak. I like the subsequent training arc because it reminds you that despite all the progress from Greed Island, Gon and Killua are still easily outclassed.

I like it too because Knuckle is the best. Also seeing the three pro hunters methodically pick off Chimera Ants one by one was cool as heck.

The part between the training arc and the actual palace assault was pretty slow imo, but the fights were cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Bad Seafood posted:

Togashi's art is pretty rough-hewn at times, it's true, but the dude's got a pretty good eye for composition and panel flow. I can't recall a time I was ever confused by what was happening on the page, as is sometimes the case with other artists.

I also like that thing he does where the art's very sparse and simplistic most of the time, but then he'll zoom in on a character's face and suddenly they're rendered in detailed HD.

That one page where Hisoka is walking behind Gon and Killua with the split panel focusing on their arses is legit genius.