Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao all the nerds jerking off google about AI got owned today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i just hope i can get my 800GB of iTunes movies into the Cloud without issue

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

love that bomb
https://twitter.com/rjonesy/status/742470988651061248

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

windows phone is rip

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

haveblue posted:

everyone would rather know why they didn't license zfs

they did, years ago, then canned it when sun got bought out. leopard came with a zfs driver installed

would you rely on oracle for anything if you didn't absolutely have to?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

dogcow!!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

moof

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

im dying squirtle

oh my god

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I'm convinced pleasure kevin is the new toblerone triangle

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a tldr summary of what apple revealed? i started watching but 2 min in i remembered my time is valuable and not worth wasting on stupid watch poo poo. one of u bozos prob have the scoop. gimme the scoop! i need the Scoop!!! b !!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

man this is so good i won't even be mad if there's no MacBooks

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

obstipator posted:

is there a tldr summary of what apple revealed? i started watching but 2 min in i remembered my time is valuable and not worth wasting on stupid watch poo poo. one of u bozos prob have the scoop. gimme the scoop! i need the Scoop!!! b !!

watchOS

* it can unlock your macbook just with it's proximity
* app loading is much much faster
* there's a control center, like on iOS
* there's an SOS feature that calls the cops if you hold the contacts button. works world-wide.

tvOS

* "single sign on" so you don't have to put in a bunch of passwords for each app
* dark mode
* new controller standards (don't know what ATM)

iOS

* universal clipboard, copy and paste between Mac and iOS
* new Playground app for Swift development, and new coding-friendly software keyboard
* you can delete any pre-installed app (Notes, Stocks, etc)
* iMessage has spoiler tags, better emoji stuff, and a new movie + doodle message type
* apps can integrate with Siri and iMessage
* Photos has machine learning stuff that can identify objects in your photos, and it's not done in the cloud
* new notification centre, allowing live video in notifications and more
* new control centre although they didn't show it much

macOS

* it's called macOS now
* new file system with native encryption
* unused files automatically archived in iCloud to free up space
* picture-in-picture
* tabs in any app, Maps, Notes, etc
* new iTunes/Music app
* powerful Siri with spotlight search
* Apple Pay in Safari

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i was wrong i'm a bit mad.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

obstipator posted:

Stymie posted:

in summary:

iwatch now as a use case as a $300-$18000 dongle

macs now have siri for some reason

ios is now five generations removed from actual functionality/usability and boy are they taking a leap away

tim wants to destroy the lives of children and families everywhere out of sheer spite/desperation for new app developers

plus apple finally concedes that ios is getting way too bloated and allows people to delete preloaded apps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the plus side, now you just have to steal someone's phone or iwatch (lol) if you want to get into their computer with keychain intact

also apple will now be deep diving all your data on the phone for their cloud services, just like ms and android, but they'll be obfuscating it with an untested statistical process, so it's totes cool and not at all a privacy concern

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i missed the keynote. is picture in picture just a global "always on top" option like i had with a third-party thing in like 2006

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I'm going to annoy all my friends with those messages things and I am so excited to be able to do it. thanks Tim

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cool thnqks

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

this keynote was astoundingly bad

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

on the plus side, now you just have to steal someone's phone or iwatch (lol) if you want to get into their computer with keychain intact

please don't troll here

if the Watch loses contact with the wrist, it's locked until you use the phone's Touch ID to unlock it again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and the phone, which was also suggested would work as an access device?

i guess you could always make sure the watch doesn't come off their wrist though :unsmigghh:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Last Chance posted:

astounding that apple would release a fully complete and production-ready file system without those features.. oh wait they havent yet

they've had 15 years to work on HFS+'s replacement, they should have kept it a secret until it was done at this point

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

i missed the keynote. is picture in picture just a global "always on top" option like i had with a third-party thing in like 2006

yes but it also works in fullscreen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

if only the phone had a way to defend against access by unauthorized users.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

if only the phone had a way to defend against access by unauthorized users.

yes, if only you had to unlock your phone to use it as a time saving way to unlock your computer. that would be an ideal implementation and not the dumbest thing ever conceived outside of mountainview/your parents' bedroom

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spectral Debt posted:

I put 32gb of ram in my late 2015 mac, why does it take like 8 seconds to wake up from sleep. upgraded from a late 2008 model that didn't do that.

it's probably hybrid sleep (aka hibernate)

you can disable that on the command line if you prefer

e:f;b

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

i guess you could always make sure the watch doesn't come off their wrist though :unsmigghh:

i remember playing perfect dark as a kid and thinking the bio key from the first level was cool as gently caress

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
epic tahoe trips

<3 craigy

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

obstipator posted:

this is stuff i think are actually useful:

ios:
universal clipboard
raise to unlock and swipe to camera, combined an iphone can now take picture as fast as an android with button shortcuts
voip api, getting calls via skype etc act the same as the phone app
messages is the new snapchat

tvos:
dark theme

macos:
nothing

watchos:
lol

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zen death robot posted:

did some rear end in a top hat really say kids in the future won't understand language other than pictures and emojis

Believe me, he wasn't happy about it either.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

did some rear end in a top hat really say kids in the future won't understand language other than pictures and emojis

😱😰😭😳😡

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

yes, if only you had to unlock your phone to use it as a time saving way to unlock your computer. that would be an ideal implementation and not the dumbest thing ever conceived outside of mountainview/your parents' bedroom

it only works with the watch for exactly this reason

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

kids are the biggest loving dumbasses

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmao at a forum with a billion custom emotes complaining about kids and their emojers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

leftist heap posted:

lmao at a forum with a billion custom emotes complaining about kids and their emojers

:tviv: :negative:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

leftist heap posted:

most of the SA emotes are pretty tasteful and/or specific

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

~Coxy posted:

most of the SA emotes are pretty tasteful and/or specific

or both

:gooncamp:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Who will be the first to stick all the SA forum smilies in an iMessage app and make a lot of money?

Like, at least $50 I'm willing to bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

can definitely taste this one

• Locked thread