Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Who will be the first to stick all the SA forum smilies in an iMessage app and make a lot of money?

Like, at least $50 I'm willing to bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

can definitely taste this one

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

about differential privacy

quote:

Differential privacy, translated from Apple-speak, is the statistical science of trying to learn as much as possible about a group while learning as little as possible about any individual in it. With differential privacy, Apple can collect and store its users’ data in a format that lets it glean useful notions about what people do, say, like and want. But it can’t extract anything about a single, specific one of those people that might represent a privacy violation. And neither, in theory, could hackers or intelligence agencies.

“With a large dataset that consists of records of individuals, you might like to run a machine learning algorithm to derive statistical insights from the database as a whole, but you want to prevent some outside observer or attacker from learning anything specific about some [individual] in the data set,” says Aaron Roth, a University of Pennsylvania computer science professor whom Apple’s Federighi named in his keynote as having “written the book” on differential privacy. (That book, co-written with Microsoft researcher Cynthia Dwork, is the Algorithmic Foundations of Differential Privacy [PDF].) “Differential privacy lets you gain insights from large datasets, but with a mathematical proof that no one can learn about a single individual.”

As Roth notes when he refers to a “mathematical proof,” differential privacy doesn’t merely try to obfuscate or “anonymize” users’ data. That anonymization approach, he argues, tends to fail. In 2007, for instance, Netflix released a large collection of its viewers’ film ratings as part of a competition to optimize its recommendations, removing people’s names and other identifying details and publishing only their Netflix ratings. But researchers soon cross-referenced the Netflix data with public review data on IMDB to match up similar patterns of recommendations between the sites and add names back into Netflix’s supposedly anonymous database.

apple is owning

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, cynthia dwork owns

she's incidentally at microsoft research

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

does she want to make concept videos for the rest of her life or does she want to change the world?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone installed the developer preview on their phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

instlling ios10 rn AMA

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Has anyone installed the developer preview on their phone?

yeah

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is it good

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
it's not that bad, the battery drain isn't as much as previous developer previews

there's definitely some stutters on certain scrolling views in system apps/views like notification center, but no worse than an Android.

there's a bug where if you're on a web view of any kind and input text where the action button (like a submit button on a form) where tapping the button doesn't do anything so you have to use the keyboard's GO button on the bottom right

password fields have hilariously large privacy dots

you now swipe right to access camera on lock screen but there's no way to unwind to lock screen so you have to hit home button and it takes you to springboard

the notification center is now only notifications and you access those dumbass widgets by swiping left from home screen

the animations when opening/closing apps and opening folders is different and jarring.

control center looks better and more touch friendly

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
and then there's this

lmao

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the notification center is now only notifications and you access those dumbass widgets by swiping left from home screen

i think that's how it is now. two tabs, "notifications" and "today".

and then there's this

lmao

they've done it again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

having widgets left of the first home screen seems far more useful than the search/siri suggestions thing there

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

having widgets left of the first home screen seems far more useful than the search/siri suggestions thing there

this is initially how i thought they'd do it like 2 years ago. you can already pull down on the home screen for search so seemed redundant.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the animations when opening/closing apps and opening folders is different and jarring.

it looks much better actually and less jarring. the effect is sort of like the app is running in the icon

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

PleasureKevin posted:

i think that's how it is now. two tabs, "notifications" and "today".

there was previously two tabs when you pulled down the notification shade {Today, Notifications} and the today tab had all the widgets. That's gone. You pull down the notification shade and it's just notifications. You get to the widgets on the homescreen only now, and you don't have to keep the top widget there anymore.

Apple news is actually pretty good now and I'm glad because flipboard is a piece of poo poo that only ever shows POS junk SEO articles

Messaging effects are funny but the full screen ones with sound are really loving corny and I can only imagine it being really bad for people looking at a message in a quiet place and getting blastedw ith that stupid strobe light and noise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

this is initially how i thought they'd do it like 2 years ago. you can already pull down on the home screen for search so seemed redundant.

yeah, i use the pull-down search often, but i usually forget siri suggestions is even there.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Nice thing is the music center on the control center has it's own tab now and there's a hot button to just continue with whatever app you were using last which is nice for when i plug it into my car since it never seems to be able to just pull up spotify and pick up where I left off when i plugged it in on ios9.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Last Chance posted:

it looks much better actually and less jarring. the effect is sort of like the app is running in the icon

it's not bad it's just a lot different from what I was used to, hence jarring.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
havent tried siri because i never use it except once in a blue moon to take a quick note about where im parked or something like that so whatever. im old and gay and don't need a digital assistant to converse with

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nice thing is the music center on the control center has it's own tab now and there's a hot button to just continue with whatever app you were using last which is nice for when i plug it into my car since it never seems to be able to just pull up spotify and pick up where I left off when i plugged it in on ios9.

I hope this means they fixed the bug I keep seeing where if I pause a podcast and unplug the headphones for more than ten minutes or so and then plug them back in and click the inline play button it switches back to music

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there was previously two tabs when you pulled down the notification shade {Today, Notifications} and the today tab had all the widgets. That's gone. You pull down the notification shade and it's just notifications. You get to the widgets on the homescreen only now, and you don't have to keep the top widget there anymore.

so i have to unlock my phone to check the temperature or my current commute time? cool. great improvement

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wonder how the improvements to apple music are

it was poo poo before and cumbersome, with the wrong artwork coming up a ton of the time so i went with google music which is suiting all my needs

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

GameCube posted:

so i have to unlock my phone to check the temperature or my current commute time? cool. great improvement

no it's available on the lockscreen too, you swipe to the left and it's the same layout of widgets

sweet thing is the google maps travel time widget is mad ownage and you can see how long your commute it is to whatever locations you set and it updates when you view the widget. it's way better than the default apple one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no it's available on the lockscreen too, you swipe to the left and it's the same layout of widgets

sweet thing is the google maps travel time widget is mad ownage and you can see how long your commute it is to whatever locations you set and it updates when you view the widget. it's way better than the default apple one

just for clarification, when you say "swipe to the left" you mean you're swiping from the left to the right, correct?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

the stupid moving the clock thing is dumb as hell but i guess since some idiot decided the widget frames should look exactly the same as the notification frames they need to make sure you understand you're looking at widgets and not your notifications

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

macOS: because jobs is dead and can't complain about it

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Endless Mike posted:

just for clarification, when you say "swipe to the left" you mean you're swiping from the left to the right, correct?

correct, I'm moving my finger from left to right to reveal the view to the left of the current screen

im probably saying ti backwards

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the stupid moving the clock thing is dumb as hell but i guess since some idiot decided the widget frames should look exactly the same as the notification frames they need to make sure you understand you're looking at widgets and not your notifications

its android, what do you expect?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh ok good. i use that a lot because my commute is GARBAGE

i actually have three travel times on my home screen. the apple prediction is always the longest because apple maps sucks. the waze prediction is always unrealistically short because waze is programmed to lie to you to trick you into using its garbage app. google maps is usually spot on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

so this is the new material design i've been hearing about

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anroid lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hmm. i dont like teh bubs. very androidy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

they did that with the dashboard on OS X at one point so if they bring that consistency to iOS it makes more sense

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i just realized my partners phone, laptop and tablet are unsupported now :negative:
the ipad 2 and 4s are underpowered but the 2008 macbook pro is just so arbitrary

also at this rate my 2012 mac mini will be unsupported in 2 or 3 years

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i guess you could say it's a way of making the third party widgets first class citizens among the built-in crap... if you're some crapple defender. gently caress you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I was at my parents and I used my moms ipad for a little bit to try to look something up and it was slow as gently caress. it was android level laggy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

can someone post android screenshots for comparison

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i guess my 2009 macbook is finally obsolete huh? i wonder if low end mac dot com is still in business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Shaggar posted:

I was at my parents and I used my moms ipad for a little bit to try to look something up and it was slow as gently caress. it was android level laggy

yeah my retina mini is trash now but I never use it. might get a new one this Christmas asking with q hopefully updated rmbp

• Locked thread