Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Hi,

Moved into my own place and have just been using my room mates ceramic knife for all my cutting needs. I'm looking into purchasing my own knife for cooking but want to know where to start, or if anything has changed significantly in the OP.

What I think I need:

knife
sharpening tool
knife block/guard

What I was thinking of starting off with is:

Victorinox 8 inch chef knife
AGPtex sharpening tool set
generic knife guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This is a good plan but in your position I probably wouldn't bother buying the sharpening kit unless you're sure you want to get into home sharpening.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

guppy posted:

This is a good plan but in your position I probably wouldn't bother buying the sharpening kit unless you're sure you want to get into home sharpening.

so just be easier and/or cheaper to just get it sharpened at a store then? I'm probably not going to be a big knife aficionado with 20 different knives.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chillyrabbit posted:

Hi,

Moved into my own place and have just been using my room mates ceramic knife for all my cutting needs. I'm looking into purchasing my own knife for cooking but want to know where to start, or if anything has changed significantly in the OP.

What I think I need:

knife
sharpening tool
knife block/guard

What I was thinking of starting off with is:

Victorinox 8 inch chef knife
AGPtex sharpening tool set
generic knife guard

I would get a steel instead of the sharpening set for now, it's a softer steel knife so steeling it will be a good way of maintaining the edge for a while and when you do sharpen it steeling it will extend the life of the edge greatly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Victorinox jumped in price to $45 because everyone recommended it too much (I think they were $28 when the op was written). Might as well get the Tojiro DP instead for $15 more.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 13, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

Though to be fair I find it almost too strong, everytime I put my takeda nakiri on the thing I have a small heart attack cause it loving slams no matter how gently I try to place it up there, at least with my other knives I can attach it toward the point and then slide it into place.

Am I worrying too much?

no, you're definitely not worrying too much. the magnets are super goddamn strong. On one of my two mag blocks, I wasn't able to mount it to a stud, so I put in a super heavy duty drywall anchor - but I have a big chinese cleaver that the mag block like succccccckkkkkkks up with a giant thud - and every time I go to pull the clever off that particular block, I feel like I'm about to rip my drywall right off the wall - the drywall definitely bows out a little as I pull it. I've stopped putting my cleaver on that one. :(

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Consider the alternative: hanzo steel shattering as it hits the cold unforgiving floor because of weak magnets.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You don't think it would cut the floor?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
lmao if your knives are so dull dropping them on the floor wouldn't result in just the handle sticking out of the ground

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

lmao if your knives are so dull dropping them on the floor wouldn't result in just the handle sticking out of the ground

My floors are concrete with tile. :shrug:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lol if you don't catch your knives with your foot by reflex

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

deimos posted:

My floors are concrete with tile. :shrug:

My statement stands

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

You only do that once.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

You only do that once.

God gave you two feet for a reason

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

deimos posted:

You only do that once.
True, the next time you catch it with your peg leg while yelling, "ARRRRR!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr. Wookums posted:

some poor preservation instinct here

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Steve Yun posted:

Victorinox jumped in price to $45 because everyone recommended it too much (I think they were $28 when the op was written). Might as well get the Tojiro DP instead for $15 more.

Now I have to be careful since you can keep on saying $15 more and you get something better, is the tojiro DP a big enough jump over the victorinox to purchase it? or is it just more value for the casual user. What differentiates it from the vicorinox?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would get a steel instead of the sharpening set for now, it's a softer steel knife so steeling it will be a good way of maintaining the edge for a while and when you do sharpen it steeling it will extend the life of the edge greatly.

From what I read I could use a sharpening steel on the victorinox since its European steel, but either shouldn't or be very gentle if I were to purchase the tojiro dp since it is a Japanese steel?

Thanks for the help guys I just want a nice knife that I don't have to purchase twice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chillyrabbit posted:

Now I have to be careful since you can keep on saying $15 more and you get something better, is the tojiro DP a big enough jump over the victorinox to purchase it? or is it just more value for the casual user. What differentiates it from the vicorinox?

It will be a harder steel that stays sharp longer, and hey, it looks a lot nicer.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/tojiro-dp-victorinox-1016940

It can be the last chef's knife you ever buy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
pretty sure if my knives hit the floor a giant oceanic rift would open up between mainland china and mongolia

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I don't know where this myth of not using a steel on Japanese knives started, but it isn't true.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't know where this myth of not using a steel on Japanese knives started, but it isn't true.

I have no idea googling "sharpening steel Japanese knives" gives me very conflicted opinions on it. Something to do with the hardness of the steel and the blade profile, which makes sense but it seems like a too broad generalization.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

pretty sure if my knives hit the floor a giant oceanic rift would open up between mainland china and mongolia

Says the guy who chipped a blade on a tortilla chip.

A TORTILLA CHIP

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Maybe the steel used in the honing rods was/is softer than the steel in the knives? I dunno honestly. I use a ceramic hone on all my knives at work and nothing bad's ever come of it. I like my strop and stones *better* for maintaining the edge but it's not always an option.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think it is because of an asymmetrical grind.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Most Japanese knives come with a standard 50/50 grind these days. I hone my Tojiro DP on a standard metal steel daily for work, and have no issues whatsoever.

Even if it were an assymetrical grind, you could still hone it.

Nope, going with some idiot 'expert' on the internet didn't know what he was talking about and the average person bought it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chillyrabbit posted:

From what I read I could use a sharpening steel on the victorinox since its European steel, but either shouldn't or be very gentle if I were to purchase the tojiro dp since it is a Japanese steel?

Thanks for the help guys I just want a nice knife that I don't have to purchase twice.
You should always be gentle with a honing steel. As a general rule, an already distressed edge will be more likely to be folded over (and therefore further dulled) with increasing force and with increasing number of passes.

Whether or not it's worthwhile to use a honing steel on a given blade depends on both the hardness of the blade and its relation to the hardness of the hone. If the hone is softer than the blade, then at best it's not going to accomplish much and at worse it can degrade the edge. And with high hardness, comparatively brittle blade steels you're not going to accomplish much even if the honing steel is hard enough, and you're better off just using a stone.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never been able to do the fancy cheffy method of honing as seen (somewhat) here. I've always placed my honing rod down perpendicular to the counter and honed my knife that way. I feel like I can get a more consistent angle doing it that way. Nothing wrong with that, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I've never been able to do the fancy cheffy method of honing as seen (somewhat) here. I've always placed my honing rod down perpendicular to the counter and honed my knife that way. I feel like I can get a more consistent angle doing it that way. Nothing wrong with that, right?
No, that's correct. The thing Ramsay is recommending in that video is a terrible, terrible way to use a steel and is more likely to degrade the cutting edge than improve it. This can be obscured by the fact that aggressive and imprecise use of a honing steel can tear off burrs that have developed along the edge, resulting in a jagged mess that will, for a short time, feel sharper but will in fairly short order render the blade duller than it would have otherwise been. If you're having your knives sent out for sharpening frequently anyway (as is probably the case with Ramsay) then you might never know the difference.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Most Japanese knives come with a standard 50/50 grind these days. I hone my Tojiro DP on a standard metal steel daily for work, and have no issues whatsoever.

Even if it were an assymetrical grind, you could still hone it.

Nope, going with some idiot 'expert' on the internet didn't know what he was talking about and the average person bought it.
Oh I agree, I just recall that being the reason behind the wive's tale. I've been around master sushi chefs honing their knives, so I don't think random joe knows something they don't know.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Oh I agree, I just recall that being the reason behind the wive's tale. I've been around master sushi chefs honing their knives, so I don't think random joe knows something they don't know.
It's difficult to identify single causes for bullshit people believe on the internet, but it seems pretty clear in this case: there are some Japanese steels---like the Hitachi Aogami/blue paper and Shirogami/white paper steels---that are typically treated to achieve Rockwell hardnesses in the mid '60s, and are correspondingly brittle. These steels do not respond well to use of a honing steel, for the simple reason that steeling is a process which was developed to work with comparatively low-hardness, high-toughness blade steels.

But it turns out that this applies to a minority of Japanese steels and Japanese knives. The Takefu VG-10 in the cutting edge of a Tojiro DP is harder than e.g. the steel used in the typical German or French chef's knife in the mid 20th Century, but it's nowhere near as hard as those Hitachi super steels---traditional Western chef knife steels typically have Rockwell hardnesses in the mid 50s, and VG-10 is usually treated to around 59-60 for kitchen cutlery, so something like Aogami is about as hard again compared to VG-10 as VG-10 is compared to a Sabatier or whatever from 1970. And, historically or traditionally or whatever, Japanese kitchen knives were made using steels more like VG-10 (in terms of hardness) than Hitachi blue paper or whatever.

Internet-favourite Japanese custom/handmade knife makers (Moritaka, Takeda, Watanabe, and so on) tend to prefer steels like Aogami blue #1, so this is probably what skewed the received wisdom into being about Japanese knives in general (which is false), instead of knives with specific kinds of steel (which is true).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sure. You'd break the bur instead of aligning it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I have an Aogami Blue #2 knife and it's pretty cool and good.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It's kind of already been said but my understanding was it wasn't Japanese knives that are bad for steel, it's knives made with high-hardness brittle steel. For a long time Japanese knives were known largely for their super high hardness brittle steel (hence Hanzo steel jokes) but it really isn't a universal trait and there's now plenty of widely popular Japaneses knives that use steels like VG-10.

My guess is that this concept got conflated at some point in time. That said I use a ceramic honing rod for my knives even though some of them aren't brittle carbon steel it still makes my skin crawl to drag a real steel across an expensive knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I figure you guys could use a good laugh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kytcho/kytcho-sharpness-redefined-chef-knife-made-in-the

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The KYTCHO POWER BLADE is ULTRA SHARP has a HIGH DENSITY and stays sharp FOREVER.

*saw saw saw saw*

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

My favorite part of that is they're basically arguing that their knife is sharper because the edge is finer because of smaller molecular size.... but you can already easily put an edge that is too fine on pretty much any decent knife.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Jarmak posted:

My favorite part of that is they're basically arguing that their knife is sharper because the edge is finer because of smaller molecular size.... but you can already easily put an edge that is too fine on pretty much any decent knife.

After seeing this I looked up mono molecular blades, too bad they're still in the realm of sci fi.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SubG posted:

The KYTCHO POWER BLADE is ULTRA SHARP has a HIGH DENSITY and stays sharp FOREVER.

*saw saw saw saw*

Should have showed it cutting through the bone too

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's almost as good as the dude I trained who didn't understand ceramic knives. The idea that something could be hard and brittle didn't compute with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
I'm in the market for a new gyuto. I've had http://www.chefknivestogo.com/machkn27.html for about 6 years now and i'm starting to hit my knuckles on the board because it is no longer as tall as it used to be. I'd like to go to the next step up in knives.

I work in a kitchen, but my knives are very well taken care of, and I am not worried about theft or damage. I'm looking for something with a 50/50 edge preferably because sharpening the 60/40 on my old one was a bit of a pain, but it isn't a deal breaker. 270mm/10in+ because I have big hands, not too picky about the handle western or wa, and I am not a fan of damascus or etchings. I was thinking about getting into the super hard steels like Aogami super or Blue/white. Are those worth it?

I am not really looking at price tags, mostly just going for the best knife possible.

• Locked thread