Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Calaveron posted:

So he dresses like a bat to do violence on people, constantly putting others, including minors, at risk, fueled by the memory of his dead parents.

Yeah like...in what world does this not red flag mental illness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Canemacar posted:

And let's not forget the plethora of super-intelligent scientists who could cure cancer, end world hunger, create infinite clean energy, and rid the world of all disease, but don't because they're too busy punching people in the face.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah like...in what world does this not red flag mental illness?

The DC universe. Also the Marvel universe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Most those people have their themes forced on them by random chance or science experiment gone wrong. Bruce is just insane

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I see a lot of people saying they hated everything BUT Batman in the movie, which is weird as gently caress to me. Sure, Affleck did a good job, but what a miserable, lovely take on the character. It's like they took the already dislikeable, one-dimensional version of the character from the Arkham games and made him even more of a one dimensional rear end in a top hat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most those people have their themes forced on them by random chance or science experiment gone wrong. Bruce is just insane

Also their birth name. Was Edward Nygma and Otto Octavious really going to be anything but Riddler and Dr Octopus with those names.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Madkal posted:

Also their birth name. Was Edward Nygma and Otto Octavious really going to be anything but Riddler and Dr Octopus with those names.

You have to wonder though is that the name doing it, or is there a strong correlation between people who would name their kids E. Nygma or Otto Octavious and people who would raise their kids to intentionally be supervillains. Like even if you accept "Nygma" is just a normal last name and not a name the family changed their name to just to create that pun, the parents still had to decide "We will name our kid E. Nygma", and you don't do that unless you know you're going to raise them to be a superhero/villain.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 14, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

On the other hand, if you want your kid to be a hero, you give them an alliterative name.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Madkal posted:

And don't get me started on the parents of Blackagar Boltagon!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Batman is a crazy psychopath who punches homeless people.

Wait no he's Perseus the peak of humanity who fights gods and saves the Earth and journeys to space and hell and back.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DrProsek posted:

You have to wonder though is that the name doing it, or is there a strong correlation between people who would name their kids E. Nygma or Otto Octavious and people who would raise their kids to intentionally be supervillains. Like even if you accept "Nygma" is just a normal last name and not a name the family changed their name to just to create that pun, the parents still had to decide "We will name our kid E. Nygma", and you don't do that unless you know you're going to raise them to be a superhero/villain.

The best part is (Post Crisis) the Riddler's real name is perfectly normal Eddie Nash.

He changed it to Edward Nygmia because he wants to be a super villain.
Which in my mind is an interesting character beat.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

DrProsek posted:

There are people IRL who have named their child Sephiroth...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the idea most of the time is that someone decides to be a supervillain/hero, and so names themselves some pun or reference to their real name.

Like Captain Atom could have been anything related to energy or radiation or whatever, but he chose that because it's basically already his name and Captain Atoms sounds a little silly.

There's always going to be ones like Victor Fries who are too convenient though, obviously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lurdiak posted:

I see a lot of people saying they hated everything BUT Batman in the movie, which is weird as gently caress to me. Sure, Affleck did a good job, but what a miserable, lovely take on the character. It's like they took the already dislikeable, one-dimensional version of the character from the Arkham games and made him even more of a one dimensional rear end in a top hat.
The last Arkham game changed that though? Half of the story was about Bruce not being able to do everything on his own.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think it wasn't so much that people loved Affleck's portrayal in this movie, but more that you could see the potential of a great Batman movie with him paired with a competent director and script?

Like he did the best he could with the material he was given which was unfortunately written and directed by someone with a fundamental Misunderstanding of the character. There's only so much you can do as an actor in that scenario.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wonder Woman was the best part, obviously, but she was in the movie for forty-five seconds, and Superman was a gaping black chasm of personality, so Batfleck gets latched on to. The fact that he got the only good action scene in the movie probably helps.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dacap posted:

Like he did the best he could with the material he was given which was unfortunately written and directed by someone with a fundamental Misunderstanding of the character.

Not really. A character is a device for storytelling. He's a grim aristocrat driven crime-fighter whose singular crusade is driven by the psychosis of his parents' death. That fits the story about a grim aristocrat etc trying to kill God out of fear and rage.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 14, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last Arkham game changed that though? Half of the story was about Bruce not being able to do everything on his own.

I didn't play that one.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't play that one.

I don't really agree that Batman is characterized much better than he is in City but Knight is the best game in the series. You should check it out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I saw Civil War on Sunday night, and so finally got to catch up on like 59 pages of the thread.

My critical opinion is now that BvS is terrible because it makes this thread really, really bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

I don't really agree that Batman is characterized much better than he is in City but Knight is the best game in the series. You should check it out.

Every review I've seen said the complete opposite.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The whole "Batman doesn't kill" thing goes right out the window when you can powerslide into mooks at 80 miles an hour in the Batmobile

Edit: Not that that makes it a bad game by any means

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Origins, the crappy prequel they farmed out to a different dev team? I saw a lot of 10/10s for Knight with the exception of the pc port being terrible. Which I think they've fixed mostly, I played through the entire game with dlc on steam with no issues.

The story is whatever, as usual, but it's such a fun game to play.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'd sooner play Origins again than replay Knight. Easily the most disappointing game of 2015 for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

I saw Civil War on Sunday night, and so finally got to catch up on like 59 pages of the thread.

My critical opinion is now that BvS is terrible because it makes this thread really, really bad.

Every movie does that.

Also costumes, posters, merchandise, interviews, and one time just the letter A.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't played Arkham Knight, but it seems like it was doubling down on everything I didn't like about Arkham City (which I did like a lot overall), which I thought was a step down from Arkham Asylum in a lot of ways.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

Some people get really, really hung up on certain elements in things and refuse to budge or adjust, and AK has a big one in the batmobile (secondary would be the ludicrous number of riddler trophies if you're mentally ill and think you need them all). If you treat the car as a Bat Launcher/bizarre form of city-scale parkour the nuisance drops dramatically; that doesn't make the car great, mind you, but it becomes an occasional fun toy and sometimes minor irritant, which describes every great game ever made including that game you really love, yes that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Origins, the crappy prequel they farmed out to a different dev team? I saw a lot of 10/10s for Knight with the exception of the pc port being terrible. Which I think they've fixed mostly, I played through the entire game with dlc on steam with no issues.

No, every reviewer I trust said they greatly watered down the stealth, added a dumb mechanic that makes combat trivial, and that about 1/3rd of the game is completely unfun tankmobile gameplay. No interesting boss fights to speak of, no interestingly-designed puzzles, just easy combat, easy stealth, and tank fights.

And the PC port still doesn't work for like 25% of users, last I heard.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Donald Glover joins Spiderman - Homecoming.

https://deadline.com/2016/06/donald-glover-spider-man-homecoming-1201772429/

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

No, every reviewer I trust said they greatly watered down the stealth, added a dumb mechanic that makes combat trivial, and that about 1/3rd of the game is completely unfun tankmobile gameplay. No interesting boss fights to speak of, no interestingly-designed puzzles, just easy combat, easy stealth, and tank fights.

And the PC port still doesn't work for like 25% of users, last I heard.

None of this is wrong. City is better than Knight. I disagree that Knight is bad, but any 10/10 review should probably be disregarded. I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer Origins to Knight since I love myself, but Knight is not better than City. It looks better, I can't deny that. That's about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Aphrodite posted:

one time just the letter A.

Everyone knows the French are terrible

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm probably alone on this one, but I'll take the Origins portrayal of Batman over City and Knights any day of the week. He's just a total dick to each and everyone of his allies in the Rocksteady games and never lets up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This could be pretty huge.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Never guessed they'd recast Spider-Man so fast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

God Bless Eliott Kalan for that. He's going to be the new head writer for MST3K as well.

But wasn't there a story where Doc Ock was doing science and Spider-man busts in and destroys it and Doc is all "but I was trying to cure aids!!"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I'm probably alone on this one, but I'll take the Origins portrayal of Batman over City and Knights any day of the week. He's just a total dick to each and everyone of his allies in the Rocksteady games and never lets up.

I'm sorry, how was the Origins portrayal any different?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

God Bless Eliott Kalan for that. He's going to be the new head writer for MST3K as well.

But wasn't there a story where Doc Ock was doing science and Spider-man busts in and destroys it and Doc is all "but I was trying to cure aids!!"?

Well Ock was trying, and Spider-Man didn't believe him but Ock's formula failed before Spider-Man even got a chance to stop him. All Spidey knew was that Ock was doing something with infected blood and radioactive materials. After it failed Ock just gave up and turned himself in. That was in the old giant size Spider-Man Unlimited series from the '90s.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry, how was the Origins portrayal any different?

Because in Origins Bruce is completely fixated on his war on crime to the point that Alfred almost dies and he realizes that he's been a total rear end in a top hat and maybe he should treat the people in his life like people and not tools for his singular goal. As opposed to every other game where he's just a non-stop dick.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Everything about Warner Brothers handling of the PC port/DLC mess was a total embarrassment, I don't feel bad if that becomes what the game is known for. I don't hate the game itself but even I went "really?" when they took down and reuploaded the game to Steam to wipe out user reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

Because in Origins Bruce is completely fixated on his war on crime to the point that Alfred almost dies and he realizes that he's been a total rear end in a top hat and maybe he should treat the people in his life like people and not tools for his singular goal. As opposed to every other game where he's just a non-stop dick.

So he's an extra huge dick for 99% of the game, repeatedly threatening to murder people and generally being a violent psychopath, and then punches Alfred back to life and goes on a quest for revenge. Wow, so much nuance.

• Locked thread