Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
HM: The Revival vs American Alpha from NXT Takeover: The End

At this point I'm just tagging matches I've loved this year. I've been liking less and less, I think I'm jaded :(

e: Not only have I said I'm jaded like five times in this thread this is the only match I've nominated. Tell me what I've missed (Gonna watch the yearly Okada/Tanahashi soon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RealFoxy posted:

e: Not only have I said I'm jaded like five times in this thread this is the only match I've nominated. Tell me what I've missed (Gonna watch the yearly Okada/Tanahashi soon)
Watch more Dragon Gate.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

HM: The Revival vs American Alpha from NXT Takeover: The End

At this point I'm just tagging matches I've loved this year. I've been liking less and less, I think I'm jaded :(

Watch more Dragon Gate.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

Watch more Dragon Gate

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
dont watch dragon gate

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Watch more Zandig

Also Dragon Gate

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Really can't get myself to give a poo poo about Dragon Gate anymore. I was never into their Big Singles Match style and with the tags It just feels like I've seen every possible combination of the main guys' moves and spots.

I can apreciate that they're all really good at what they do, I just can't get into it anymore.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 12, 2016

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wazzu posted:

Worst Match Type of the Year Nomination: Cage Matches where you can escape.
They suck so much. Everyone just wants to see the two people fight with steel with no chance of escape. The drama goes away if they stop fighting to try and escape for a bit.

I'm shocked anyone could demerit that match for the escape spots, the psychology in that match regarding them was perfect. There were no stupid High Spot Instead Of Escaping bits, They only went for the climb when it made sense to use it instead of the door, and they only went for escape at all as a practical thing and spent most of the match fighting because it was a blood feud. It was by far the best Escape Cage match I've seen in forever precisely because they were smart about escapes and avoided everything that makes them stupid.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
what about the whole idea of a huge feud-ending match being one where you try to run away from your opponent

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
MOTYC: Bárbaro Cavernario vs. Rey Cometa, CMLL 6/10

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

2nd

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

MOTYC Chris Hero vs Mark Andrews, PROGRESS Super Strong Style 16 Day One

God drat, I would have believed Mandrews could survive anything during this one.

2nd this. Great big man vs tiny man match, both guys played their roles perfectly. Really great pacing.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

3rd

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

Really can't get myself to give a poo poo about Dragon Gate anymore. I was never into their Big Singles Match style and with the tags It just feels like I've seen every possible combination of the main guys' moves and spots.
Each to their own but for me one of the main drawing points is seeing how factions change and evolve over the years, and who lands where when they have a major shakeup. Also the newest couple generations are great so their future's pretty bright once they rotate some more people into the main event. It's a fair point to say the Big Six kinda never leave the top spots though.

Spermgod posted:

what about the whole idea of a huge feud-ending match being one where you try to run away from your opponent
I have more issues with LMS matches actually, since most WWE-style ones end with "lol I put something on you so you can't physically get up" rather than actually beating the opponent so bad they can't stand up.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I hate escape-rule in cage matches on general principle, but the way this match was structured and the story they were telling it really wasn't an issue, like Sanguina was saying.

HM - Joe v Balor cage match
HM - Asuka v Nia Jax
HM - Nakamura v Aries
HM - American Alpha v Revival

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
WMOTY: Tribunal vs Shera/Grasp Slammiversary 2016

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

exploding mummy posted:

Seconded, how can there be a match where Shera is the least lovely worker there? Also gently caress you Al Snow, I can still hear your loving whistle

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

HM: Kyle O'Reilly vs. KUSHIDA - ROH TV 6/12

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

exploding mummy posted:

I thought that match was a testament to how much the tag match formula can cover for a lot of faults. There was pretty much not a single move executed well in the entire match, but the structure was there, so in the end I enjoyed it. I can certainly understand why people would call it WMOTY though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HM: Galloway vs Lashley 06/12 TNA Slammiversary

Excellent match that was within striking distance of Galloway/Angle. It's a low bar to say 'best TNA match this year' but both those matches were objectively very good to great.

e: and the Tribunal match wasn't even the worst TNA match this year when Rebel/Shelly Martinez exists.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

e: and the Tribunal match wasn't even the worst TNA match this year when Rebel/Shelly Martinez exists.

While the tag match ring work wasn't as bad as Shelley/Rebel (but it really was bad), Shelley/Rebel also didn't have a man blowing a whistle loudly every 5 seconds

I though the ME was good, but that tombstone gently caress up really killed it for me. Not really the fault of Lashley there, but Galloway just did it so goddamn bad and the camera caught it that the real fight vibe just shattered.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

updated the op through this post. Here's what was added

Matches of the Year
05/01| Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles - WWE
05/05| Shingo Takagi vs Naruki Doi vs. YAMATO vs. Naoki Tanizaki vs. Cyber Kong vs. Kotoka- Dragon Gate
05/08| Bobby Fish vs Tomohiro Ishii - ROH
05/22| Sami Zayn vs Cesaro vs The Miz vs Kevin Owens - WWE
05/22| Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles - WWE
05/27| Ricochet vs Will Ospreay - NJPW
06/08| American Alpha vs The Revival - NXT
06/12| Barbaro Cavernario vs Rey Cometa - CMLL

Worst Matches of the Year
04/22| Rebel vs Shelly Martinez - TNA
05/22| Dean Ambrose vs Chris Jericho - WWE

Honorable Mentions

04/04| Cesaro vs Chris Jericho vs AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens - WWE
04/10| KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay - NJPW
04/10| Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW
04/11| Rey Mysterio Jr, Dragon Azteca, and Prince Puma vs Cage, Taya, and Johnny Mundo - Lucha Underground
04/28| Kenny Omega vs Michael Elgin - NJPW
05/01| Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn - WWE
05/04| Sexy Star vs Mariposa - Lucha Underground
05/08| Briscoes vs War Machine - ROH
05/08| Moose and Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin and Hiroshi Tanahashi - ROH
05/22| KUSHIDA vs Kyle O'Reilly - NJPW
06/01| Matanza vs Cage - Lucha Underground
06/08| Austin Aries vs Shinsuke Nakamura - NXT
06/08| Asuka vs Nia Jax - NXT
06/08| Samoa Joe vs Finn Balor - NXT

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 14, 2016

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The 5/5 Dragon Gate match was a six way, Shingo Takagi vs YAMATO vs Naruki Doi vs Cyber Kong vs Naoki Tanizaki vs Kotoka

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Taguchi - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 23 finals 6/7

Nth. Awesome match with great heat and a couple really convincing false finishes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MOTYC Rey Mysterio vs Joey Ryan

Superb Psychology

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

2nd

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Third

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

nthed

5 stars baby

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM: Pentagon Jr. vs. Fenix vs. Johnny Mundo vs. Taya vs. Ivelisse vs. King Cuerno, Lucha Underground 6/15

10 minutes of an awesome Pentagon/Fenix match following 40 minutes of a pretty good multi-person match, I'd say that's worth an HM.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Sanguinia posted:

I'm shocked anyone could demerit that match for the escape spots, the psychology in that match regarding them was perfect. There were no stupid High Spot Instead Of Escaping bits, They only went for the climb when it made sense to use it instead of the door, and they only went for escape at all as a practical thing and spent most of the match fighting because it was a blood feud. It was by far the best Escape Cage match I've seen in forever precisely because they were smart about escapes and avoided everything that makes them stupid.

I think it was a very good match. But while I was watching it, I realised how much I wished it wasn't a cage match because I'm tired of wrestlers trying to escape, rather than beat their opponent. I just don't like Cage matches any more.

Spermgod posted:

A mixture of this, plus the fact that people still often interfere anyway.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

HM: Pentagon Jr. vs. Fenix vs. Johnny Mundo vs. Taya vs. Ivelisse vs. King Cuerno, Lucha Underground 6/15

10 minutes of an awesome Pentagon/Fenix match following 40 minutes of a pretty good multi-person match, I'd say that's worth an HM.

+1

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
yup

This felt very different from stuff like Aztec Warfare, they got the only big story development out of the way early with Mil 3.0's return and played it straight the rest of the way. Great stuff.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Benne posted:

nth.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fourth

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HM: AAW Killers Among Us, 6/17/16: Moose v Trevor Lee v Andrew Everett v Cedric Alexander

best 8 minute match you'll ever see?

Blankgambit
Mar 30, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

HM: AAW Killers Among Us, 6/17/16: Moose v Trevor Lee v Andrew Everett v Cedric Alexander

best 8 minute match you'll ever see?

Seconding this

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blank....... thank you

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
MOTYC: Yuji Nagata (c) v Katsuyori Shibata, NEVER Openweight Championship Match - NJPW Dominion 6/19/2016

A stellar showing from both men that excelled at telling a story and putting the NEVER belt over in the biggest way possible. The finish only felt abrupt because you wanted to see them fight longer, despite making perfect psychological sense. Phenomenal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

MOTYC: Yuji Nagata (c) v Katsuyori Shibata, NEVER Openweight Championship Match - NJPW Dominion 6/19/2016

A stellar showing from both men that excelled at telling a story and putting the NEVER belt over in the biggest way possible. The finish only felt abrupt because you wanted to see them fight longer, despite making perfect psychological sense. Phenomenal.

Yep. Amazing match and definitely better than their first. Seconded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MOTYC: Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega (c), IWGP Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match -NJPW Dominion 6/19/2016

HOLY loving poo poo.

• Locked thread