Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I got a slime staff in the middle of a solar eclipse shortly before starting the lunar event lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Everything fishing related would be fixed if it just gave you fish bucks that you could cash in for the fishing related reward of your choice instead of kicking you in the shins with garbage or duplicates over and over and over and over and over.
I'm 100% on board with this. Though I feel similarly about most rare drops in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo all of the ultra-rare drops like the Lucky Coin etc are just way, way, way too rare. I think there should be a balance between item rarity and incentive to take the time it would take to get the rare thing, and right now only a small number of the highest-rarity-tier items have that balance set right. iirc the wiki says it'd take an average of 40 pirate invasions to get one lucky coin.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I hate inventory management in this game. I want to keep everything. I'm a video game hoarder

i look forward to the day when game designers become brave enough to say "you know what? you can keep everything. it's cool don't worry about it"

measure the stuff i carry in my infinite inventory in m^3 and give me a button to unload it all into my scroogevault of gold bars, rusty swords and dirt blocks

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I just want an option to forbid dirt blocks from being picked up so i don't have to stop every five minutes in my exploring to empty my inventory.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just give me a single ultimate storage item that's like 5x5 tiles or more, which can hold an unlimited number of every item in caplesss numerical stacks, and can be sorted by type, alphabetically, by quantity, or searched for quick retrieval.
Also allows modular ports to attach crafting stations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm 100% on board with this. Though I feel similarly about most rare drops in this game.

I would love a mod that replaces all enemy drops with biome-specific currency items that you could craft into the things the mobs in that biome used to drop. Just have every hell monster drop hellish residue or whatever, which you could use to craft Demon Scythes or Magma Stones or any of the other rare drops you would normally get from hell critters. You could even tune the mod so you had to kill more, less, or exactly as many mobs as you would expect to to get the drop normally, depending on if you want more or less grind in your game (less, please).

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

watho posted:

The quests are specifically designed to discourage farming.

How to discourage farming: Build a fun task that you have to do once or a handful of times to get the things you want/need.
How to encourage farming: Build a simple, boring task that you have to do 200+ times to get the things you want/need.

If Terraria fishing was intended to discourage farming they did an amazingly bad job at it, like "literally the exact opposite" bad.

Wrist Watch posted:

I still feel it's a valid point that fishing stands out as feeling like an especially egregious' time sink if you actually try to aim for any particular thing on the rewards table

e: you know what nevermind I'm just going to quit while I'm behind since I'm alone in thinking like this apparently

No you absolutely are not alone.

All they'd really need to do to fix it is just get rid of the bait rewards and compress the better ones so you'd get them every time instead of every 10th quest or whatever.

And yeah, I agree that a lot of the rare drops in this game are like that. What's funny though is it's mostly cosmetic/bonus stuff that works that way. The powerful weapons that let you just tear through everything are fairly common, which is a good thing. I think the intent for those rarer items is to have stuff that not everybody gets, but who wants to play a game like this where you can't reasonably get everything?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ali Aces posted:

I think the intent for those rarer items is to have stuff that not everybody gets, but who wants to play a game like this where you can't reasonably get everything?

Well I would.

Being a completionist is not really a goal of a game, there is no achievement for having every item, and I so I think "game will not let me be a completist" isn't really an applicable criticism.

If the game let you have everything easily, however, it would run counter to some of the goals of gameplay which is to have interesting exploration and to make repeated playthoughs different.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Acne Rain posted:

Being a completionist is not really a goal of a game, there is no achievement for having every item, and I so I think "game will not let me be a completist" isn't really an applicable criticism.

In a game like this? Of course it is. This isn't a roguelike. Go play a good roguelike if you don't want to be reasonably able to get everything.

Acne Rain posted:

If the game let you have everything easily, however, it would run counter to some of the goals of gameplay which is to have interesting exploration and to make repeated playthoughs different.

-There's a difference between "easily" and "not by doing the same thing hundreds of times past when it was any fun."
-None of this is about interesting exploration. It's about farming forever.
-If you want repeated playthroughs to be different, you lock players out of certain things via class systems and exclusive choices, not low-chance drops.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Acne Rain posted:

Well I would.

I get your point, but I bought the drat game and if I want a lucky coin it shouldn't average 40 pirate invasions like someone previously mentioned.

Which is why I don't mind cheating in games like this, because they make it a huge pain in the rear end to maybe get something that's very useful.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Vib Rib posted:

Just give me a single ultimate storage item that's like 5x5 tiles or more, which can hold an unlimited number of every item in caplesss numerical stacks, and can be sorted by type, alphabetically, by quantity, or searched for quick retrieval.
Also allows modular ports to attach crafting stations.
Quick, somebody rewrite Applied Energistics for Terraria.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The fishing quests only ever give you things to help you with fishing though. The only somewhat practical thing you can get from it is parts of the PDA but it's not like the PDA is actually useful. There is no reason to do the fishing quests if you don't want to.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

ImpactVector posted:

Quick, somebody rewrite Applied Energistics for Terraria.
Oh hey, looks like Terraria mods are written in C#. I know C#.

Hmm...

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm...

Please put some nerd knowledge to good use

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm...

Hey, if you're actually gonna look into this just a suggestion:

Another way to address the inventory issue it to just have a return point for the magic mirror, like every time you use the mirror it creates a portal/item/whatever back to wherever you were when you last used it, or have some other warp-back system. Something that actually expands the inventory would be better, sure, but I'm guessing it'd also be way harder to pull off while a warp-back system would probably be pretty simple.

And just to belabor this thing one last time..

watho posted:

The fishing quests only ever give you things to help you with fishing though. The only somewhat practical thing you can get from it is parts of the PDA but it's not like the PDA is actually useful. There is no reason to do the fishing quests if you don't want to.

This is definitely a fair point, and what I was getting at referring to rare drops and rewards being bonuses. But when the best defense of a system is "well you can just ignore it," that doesn't mean it's a good system. As far as the cell phone goes, the main benefit to having the whole thing is decluttering your inventory, but if you think that's not a significant benefit look at the other conversation going on here..

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ali Aces posted:

Hey, if you're actually gonna look into this just a suggestion:

Another way to address the inventory issue it to just have a return point for the magic mirror, like every time you use the mirror it creates a portal/item/whatever back to wherever you were when you last used it, or have some other warp-back system. Something that actually expands the inventory would be better, sure, but I'm guessing it'd also be way harder to pull off while a warp-back system would probably be pretty simple.
Creating a data structure to implement most of the listed functionality is actually pretty trivial. An AE-style storage system could probably be as simple as a HashTable of ID+quantity(+modifier?) combinations. Searching and sorting something like that is practically built into the language. Even saving it is pretty easy as long as the game allows mods to persist some text somewhere.

It's interfacing with the game's UI that's likely to be a pain. And I'm guessing any interactions with crafting stations would probably either be a massive undertaking or hacky as poo poo unless there's some kind of API for that stuff.

But having a central storage controller block connected to a bunch of item terminals with wires is a super cool concept, so I'll likely at least take a look at how to make the Terraria equivalent of Hello World later this week.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Something like a button that toggles the chest slot display between piggy bank and safe would be great.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
I just want to turn off left shift click putting items in the trash. Ended up using the inventory editor in the op today after I trashed my adamantite armor instead of equipping it. Trust me, I really don't mind dragging items when I'm throwing them out, I don't see why that shortcut exists.

On the topic of grinding, I was just thinking how sudden the shift in the whole tone of the game is once you beat the wall of flesh. The whole first part of the game is about exploring the map, looking for treasure, and becoming incrementally more powerful. Once you hit hardmode you spend 20 minutes mining, then the rest of the game is basically farming drops. Instead of looking for caves and treasure chests, you're looking for good rng on monster spawns and drops. I feel like if the game was that way from the start it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular.

On the other hand, I made a meteor staff and it's hilarious.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

way to go steve posted:

I just want to turn off left shift click putting items in the trash.
There's an option for that in the game's config.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

way to go steve posted:

I just want to turn off left shift click putting items in the trash. Ended up using the inventory editor in the op today after I trashed my adamantite armor instead of equipping it. Trust me, I really don't mind dragging items when I'm throwing them out, I don't see why that shortcut exists.

On the topic of grinding, I was just thinking how sudden the shift in the whole tone of the game is once you beat the wall of flesh. The whole first part of the game is about exploring the map, looking for treasure, and becoming incrementally more powerful. Once you hit hardmode you spend 20 minutes mining, then the rest of the game is basically farming drops. Instead of looking for caves and treasure chests, you're looking for good rng on monster spawns and drops. I feel like if the game was that way from the start it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular.

On the other hand, I made a meteor staff and it's hilarious.

ever have an inventory almost full from stacks of dirt/mud/snow/etc? way faster than click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

way to go steve posted:

On the topic of grinding, I was just thinking how sudden the shift in the whole tone of the game is once you beat the wall of flesh. The whole first part of the game is about exploring the map, looking for treasure, and becoming incrementally more powerful. Once you hit hardmode you spend 20 minutes mining, then the rest of the game is basically farming drops.
I believe you mean you spend 20 minutes opening the 200+ crates you fished up and hoarded through to hardmode :smugdog:

Which is what I just did when I flipped my expert mediumcore world over :pwn:

Does anyone know if the Skele Merchant will appear in Hallow/Crimson underground at all? I get the feeling he won't, and in my small world, the actual non-hallow/non-crimson (non-jungle/non-dungeon, etc.) underground at the right depths is pretty minimal and he doesn't seem to be spawning there. I really need a Yoyo Glove :mad:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

New Terraria-clone Planet Centauri has it's rough spots but it did one thing right, infinite inventory space and a very good sorting system with tabs right from the start.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

No Safe Word posted:

Does anyone know if the Skele Merchant will appear in Hallow/Crimson underground at all? I get the feeling he won't, and in my small world, the actual non-hallow/non-crimson (non-jungle/non-dungeon, etc.) underground at the right depths is pretty minimal and he doesn't seem to be spawning there. I really need a Yoyo Glove :mad:

I'm pretty sure he does, I made an underground hallow murdering room and he showed up every so often to gum up my spawns.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

way to go steve posted:

The way I see it, you've probably explored most of the world already once you start hardmode. Now you get to go back through all the places you've already explored to find new treasure that you have to murder first.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

There's an option for that in the game's config.

I didn't see anything in the in-game settings menu, is there somewhere else I should look? Unbinding leftshift click just turns off smart cursor for mining/torches.

As for deleting stacks of blocks, I've never had twenty thousand blocks of something I didn't want in my inventory, and if I do I don't think I'll mind spending a second to clear it out. Better than trashing my gear.

Kinda starting to regret my small world. Bigger worlds feel kind of tedious early game playing solo, but with wings and such it starts to feel kind of cramped. I have like one screen of above ground hallow, and underground it runs through an ice biome with barely any caves. I've had to dig through drat near the whole thing, there's just not much there. Meanwhile corruption covers like 75% of the world above and below, and is right up to my doorstep on both sides. I'm only a handful of hours into hardmode.

Maybe I should get a medium world up to speed. Wouldn't take too incredibly long, and it's an excuse to build a new town. Maybe go for crimson, I dunno.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Ali Aces posted:

This is definitely a fair point, and what I was getting at referring to rare drops and rewards being bonuses. But when the best defense of a system is "well you can just ignore it," that doesn't mean it's a good system. As far as the cell phone goes, the main benefit to having the whole thing is decluttering your inventory, but if you think that's not a significant benefit look at the other conversation going on here..

People like the fishing in the game so just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad system. Also, none of the information the PDA gives you is actually useful and inventory space stops being an issue once you put all those items you keep thinking you're going to use in a chest. The only time when I have a hard time with inventory space is in the early game when I keep carrying around a bunch of pianos and weapons that I have no use for.

There's no reason to have more than 2 rows of stuff that you actually use at any given time.

Fake edit: there are one or two parts of the PDA that have situational usefulness but none of them are tied to fishing quests and you don't need any of the other parts for them to work.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You can't say "people like fishing so you someone disliking it doesn't make it bad" and then in literally the same post talk about how you think a thing other people like is useless so it's bad. Generalizations work both ways, dude.

I agree on the inventory thing though, I have no idea how people manage to get stacks worth of dirt every time they go exploring. For a game with so many pickaxes you really don't need to actually dig areas out most of the time, the tunnels in this game will lead you to more than enough ores. You might need to dig a little to get to the next series of tunnels or if your path to hell is too meandering or something, but nothing that should be landing you with that much dirt unless you literally go around tossing dynamite at tiny ore veins.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

There's a difference between calling a game mechanic bad and calling an item in a game bad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Duke Fishron should drop an item that summons a super hard fish invasion, the only drops from it is stuff from the fishing quests.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wrist Watch posted:

You might need to dig a little to get to the next series of tunnels or if your path to hell is too meandering or something, but nothing that should be landing you with that much dirt unless you literally go around tossing dynamite at tiny ore veins.

... you mean you don't do this?

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

way to go steve posted:

Kinda starting to regret my small world. Bigger worlds feel kind of tedious early game playing solo, but with wings and such it starts to feel kind of cramped. I have like one screen of above ground hallow, and underground it runs through an ice biome with barely any caves. I've had to dig through drat near the whole thing, there's just not much there. Meanwhile corruption covers like 75% of the world above and below, and is right up to my doorstep on both sides. I'm only a handful of hours into hardmode.

Maybe I should get a medium world up to speed. Wouldn't take too incredibly long, and it's an excuse to build a new town. Maybe go for crimson, I dunno.

Another problem with small worlds is that there's a good chance that large parts of your overworld can end up high enough to generate wyverns in hardmode. It's not as big of a deal on normal difficulty, but on expert mode you really, really do not want surprise wyverns in your house every bloodmoon/solar eclipse, or in any sort of surface level farm for mimics/holy arrows/fish/etc.

Also if you're trying to play anything along the lines of a single-world game, there's a good chance of not generating a single Lucky Horseshoe, an accessory which is nigh irreplaceable until you can kill the aforesaid hardmode wyverns.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mzbundifund posted:

... you mean you don't do this?

I'll dig out tiny ones, but for big ones sometimes I forget I have explosives on me and by the time I remember I've already dug half of it out. I stopped keeping explosives on my hotbar after accidentally blowing up my house one too many times.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

ever have an inventory almost full from stacks of dirt/mud/snow/etc? way faster than click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag click draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag
I deal with that by walking near my dirt/mud/snow/etc chest and hitting "stack to nearby chests".

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If I know I'm digging for a while I'll tuck three individual tiles of dirt and two individual tiles of stone into a corner of my inventory. The game stacks them all to 999 before taking up a new tile slot, which is usually enough for a decent mining trip.

I'll also keep a single unit of the top couple ores I'm looking for so that I can always pick them up if I come across them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
We were talking about item farming in the Earthbound thread, specifically tales of woe regarding getting the Sword of Kings, which is a 1 in 128 drop from an admittedly fairly common mob from one specific spot in the game. It is notorious for being something that people will spend hours and hours farming for, sometimes without success. I personally am also very critical of games that use rare random drops as a gameplay mechanic, and I don't hesitate to say it.

Having interesting content that leads to interesting rewards is always best, but barring that the two ways to go about it are either to have some sort of currency that allows you to eventually earn the rare item bit by bit or, in the case of having many drops from the same quest or monster, be able to trade X common or uncommon drops for the rare drop. This way, every attempt, even those that don't get the rare item that you really want, gets you incrementally closer to your goal. When it's just a 1/20 chance of getting the thing that you actually give a toss about, every failed attempt is just a waste of time.

The other way is to have invisible variables that increase the probability of a drop the more times that you kill the mob or do the quest. Some friends of mine and I did a programming project years ago where we did something like this, and keep in mind that this was back in the day when memory was very, very limited so every line of code was using a vital resource. In the modern era, there's no excuse as far as I see it. Our logic was that The Very Rare and Powerful Item is being carried by one of the Big Green Monsters in the world. Every time you kill a Big Green Monster without finding The Item, it's more likely to be the next BGM because you've already searched some already. So, it starts out at 1 in 128 for example, but after killing one BGM it's perhaps 1.5 in 128, then 2, then 2.5 and so on until you get the drop. Once it drops, a flag is set that it won't drop again because it's unique and another one does not exist.

I'm thinking about doing another Earthbound playthrough myself, and I found a Game Genie code that makes enemies drop their item with 100% frequency at the end of every battle. I'm not going to use it through the whole game because it would break the difficulty curve, but I am going to turn it on for those rare 1 in 128 drops because I have better poo poo to do. The actually most notorious example of "stupid random rare" is a bat for the main character that only drops off of one very rare mob about half an hour before the game ends... also with a 1 in 128 chance. The best part: The official strategy guide for the game stated that this item drops off a similar mob earlier in the game (which it doesn't), which led to a lot of people, myself included, farming for hours to get a drop that didn't exist. The "funny" part is that, since it was 1 in 128, it took years and eventually people examining the game's code to realise the error. After all, when you do something that you know is going to fail over 99% of the time, you are far more likely on a failure to say "Well, maybe next time" than "This is literally impossible"

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do the expert mode perks really out way all the annoying stuff that comes with it? Is playing normal mode map and then going to fight bosses on a expert map to get the bonuses viable or dumb?

EDIT: I know this question gets asked a lot in different ways, so if I'll just take the answers I found looking back about 10 pages as an answer. Looks like playing normal mode is the consensus and if you really want those items from expert, then just go get them later but stick to your normal mode map.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Only about 3 of the expert mode items are very good (Worm Scarf, Demon Heart, Shrimpy Truffle), and you can't use the best one outside of expert maps (technically the worm scarf is better than the demon heart, but (imo) only in expert where enemy damage scales super high lategame) . Expert mode is really for people who want a challenge, the extra items are just a bonus.

Also you should probably generally not play expert for your first playthrough.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah Expert mode is really only "I want a challenge because otherwise it's too easy", that's the only real "reward" you get for playing Expert. Things hit like a truck compared to normal, which can be decidedly unfun unless you already know how to best mitigate damage/kill things before they kill you/etc. I think it's fun but I'm a masochist that is doing Mediumcore on Expert for no reason other than "I think I can pull it off". That also made me think, I know most people don't care but for mediumcore when you die they really should just bundle all your stuff in a treasure bag like the bosses because picking up a jillion items that normally go into equipable slots (I am avoiding using dyes/vanity poo poo because of this) is a pain in the rear end. Having just one thing to pick up versus 50 would be so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Shield of Cthulhu dash can be fun to play around with as melee before hardmode. Aside from that, if you intend to play with minecart track, grabbing the mechanical cart bits from the mechanical bosses is worthwhile, 102mph is fast.

Otherwise yea, make an alternate expert world and just use it to grab what you want.