Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Neocons see some hawkishness, and now they're on board. :rolleyes:

zoux posted:

Unconfirmed reports that Al Baghdadi was killed in Raqqa last night, one day after Trump accused Obama of secretly supporting Islamic terrorism. lol

:allears: Oh man, that'll take all the wind out of Trump's sails. Why won't this president say Radical Islamic Terrorism? Because he was too busy killing the leader of the Radical Islamic Terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
here is an article

quote:

ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was reportedly killed in U.S.-led airstrikes on Tuesday.

According to the Daily Mirror, an ISIS-linked news agency reported that al-Baghdadi was killed in Raqqa on the fifth day of Ramadan.

poor trump

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahaha the timing could not be worse. I guess Obama could've shot Baghdadi at the Trump speech maybe, but this is pretty bad for his narrative.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

zoux posted:

Just checking but despite the fact that this guy was an American born nutball who couldn't deal with his sexuality, we're going to pretend like this guy was an ISIS ninja who snuck in through the refugee system for national political conversation purposes?

because trump is not going to talk about amercia's history of violent homophobia and a general permissiveness towards guns and mass shootings, and if trump isn't going to talk about it the media does not give a gently caress about it

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I would wait for confirmation on this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"This is not the first time al-Baghdadi, who hasn't been seen in public since 2014, has been reported dead."

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/742711726748106752

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Slate Action posted:

I would wait for confirmation on this.

Yeah hasn't this been like the 4th or 5th time he's been 'killed'?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mrmcd posted:

Yeah hasn't this been like the 4th or 5th time he's been 'killed'?

Why won't Obama admit the reality of immortal Islamic terrorists

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:golfclap:

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

zoux posted:

Unconfirmed reports that Al Baghdadi was killed in Raqqa last night, one day after Trump accused Obama of secretly supporting Islamic terrorism. lol

i saw that headline way earlier and was skeptical

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/742706532782071809

quote:

Media outlets in Iran, Iraq, Russia and Turkey appeared to have fallen for a digitally altered image claiming to be a media statement from the so-called Islamic State.

The supposed missive was quoted as saying: “Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has been killed by coalition air strikes on Raqqa on the fifth day of Ramadan (10 June).”

this is the "source"

mannerup fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 14, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

zoux posted:

Why won't Obama admit the reality of immortal Islamic terrorists

The night is dark and full of terror(ist)s.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mannerup posted:

i saw that headline way earlier and was skeptical

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/742706532782071809

awww. :(

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is where Trump's lack of experience as a politician really shines through. If you want to paint Obama and Hillary as being weak on national security, he needed to limit it to something that couldn't really blow up in his face - like attacking their immigrant policy. When it comes to killing terrorists, Obama has the all-time high score, and Bernie voters were afraid that Hillary was going to be even more hawkish than Obama.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Perfectly Safe posted:

It's so breathtakingly vanilla that I'm surprised you can be that specific :)

i was wrong

looking at the page source apparently there's a whole business devoted to letting lovely politicians build their own website http://nationbuilder.com/

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mirthless posted:

:allears: Oh man, that'll take all the wind out of Trump's sails. Why won't this president say Radical Islamic Terrorism? Because he was too busy killing the leader of the Radical Islamic Terrorists.

im sure he would take credit for it, actually. like when nato formed an anti terrorist thing and he went on twit and said yeah that was me

glad to see obama take my words to heart and actually do something still sad tho!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TyrantWD posted:

This is where Trump's lack of experience as a politician really shines through. If you want to paint Obama and Hillary as being weak on national security, he needed to limit it to something that couldn't really blow up in his face - like attacking their immigrant policy. When it comes to killing terrorists, Obama has the all-time high score, and Bernie voters were afraid that Hillary was going to be even more hawkish than Obama.

This is why I am really, really looking forward to the debates. The GOP can spend the next three months coaching Trump if they want, but when he has to go up against Hillary without teleprompters he is going to be badly outmatched when it comes to policy and there are a lot of minefields he can stumble into that he will have a hard time escaping. His handlers can play damage control when he fucks up on twitter or in a news interview but when he's stuck in a 2-3 hour debate there is not a lot they can do.

They might have him wear a wire like Bush did in 04, but even then I doubt it'd help much (plus, 1080p resolution might make it even more obvious)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/742725689217024000
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/742726028859211776

"Why didn't I just wait one. more. loving. day. to endorse"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

He could always just not agree to any debates

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al! posted:

I would not be surprised if this is what he does

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Al! posted:

He's going to destroy her at the debates.

He's 6 ft 3, he's going to be looking down at pipsqueak Hillary the whole time. And it's gonna be embarrassing for her folks. She actually has to debate someone other than Breadline "Fugget about da' drat Emails" Bernie.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Al! posted:

Maybe all the debate-organizing news organizations will be on his enemies list by then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Obama killed Al Badgdhadi the day after trumps rant he's possibly the greatest politician ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalvinCoolidge posted:

He's 6 ft 3, he's going to be looking down at pipsqueak Hillary the whole time. And it's gonna be embarrassing for her folks. She actually has to debate someone other than Breadline "Fugget about da' drat Emails" Bernie.

Silent Cal.

euphronius posted:

If Obama killed Al Badgdhadi the day after trumps rant he's possibly the greatest politician ever.

Likely not real tho

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2016/06/13/how-ken-burns-built-his-blistering-attack-on-donald-trump/

:drat: posted:

For 216 years, our elections, though bitterly contested, have featured the philosophies and character of candidates who were clearly qualified. That is not the case this year. One is glaringly not qualified. So before you do anything with your well-earned degree, you must do everything you can to defeat the retrograde forces that have invaded our democratic process, divided our house, to fight against, no matter your political persuasion, the dictatorial tendencies of the candidate with zero experience in the much maligned but subtle art of governance; who is against lots of things, but doesn’t seem to be for anything, offering only bombastic and contradictory promises, and terrifying Orwellian statements; a person who easily lies, creating an environment where the truth doesn’t seem to matter; who has never demonstrated any interest in anyone or anything but himself and his own enrichment; who insults veterans, threatens a free press, mocks the handicapped, denigrates women, immigrants and all Muslims; a man who took more than a day to remember to disavow a supporter who advocates white supremacy and the Ku Klux Klan; an infantile, bullying man who, depending on his mood, is willing to discard old and established alliances, treaties and long-standing relationships. I feel genuine sorrow for the understandably scared and—they feel—powerless people who have flocked to his campaign in the mistaken belief that—as often happens on TV—a wand can be waved and every complicated problem can be solved with the simplest of solutions. They can’t. It is a political Ponzi scheme. And asking this man to assume the highest office in the land would be like asking a newly minted car driver to fly a 747.

As a student of history, I recognize this type. He emerges everywhere and in all eras. We see nurtured in his campaign an incipient Proto-fascism, a nativist anti-immigrant Know Nothing-ism, a disrespect for the judiciary, the prospect of women losing authority over their own bodies, African Americans again asked to go to the back of the line, voter suppression gleefully promoted, jingoistic saber rattling, a total lack of historical awareness, a political paranoia that, predictably, points fingers, always making the other wrong. These are all virulent strains that have at times infected us in the past. But they now loom in front of us again—all happening at once. We know from our history books that these are the diseases of ancient and now fallen empires. The sense of commonwealth, of shared sacrifice, of trust, so much a part of American life, is eroding fast, spurred along and amplified by an amoral Internet that permits a lie to circle the globe three times before the truth can get started.

We no longer have the luxury of neutrality or “balance,” or even of bemused disdain. Many of our media institutions have largely failed to expose this charlatan, torn between a nagging responsibility to good journalism and the big ratings a media circus always delivers. In fact, they have given him the abundant airtime he so desperately craves, so much so that it has actually worn down our natural human revulsion to this kind of behavior. Hey, he’s rich; he must be doing something right. He is not. Edward R. Murrow would have exposed this naked emperor months ago. He is an insult to our history. Do not be deceived by his momentary “good behavior.” It is only a spoiled, misbehaving child hoping somehow to still have dessert.

And do not think that the tragedy in Orlando underscores his points. It does not. We must “disenthrall ourselves,” as Abraham Lincoln said, from the culture of violence and guns. And then “we shall save our country.”

This is not a liberal or conservative issue, a red state, blue state divide. This is an American issue. Many honorable people, including the last two Republican presidents, members of the party of Abraham Lincoln, have declined to support him. And I implore those “Vichy Republicans” who have endorsed him to please, please reconsider. We must remain committed to the kindness and community that are the hallmarks of civilization and reject the troubling, unfiltered Tourettes of his tribalism.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CalvinCoolidge posted:

That doesn't play well

See Hrcs senate debates.

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

euphronius posted:

That doesn't play well

See Hrcs senate debates.

I don't seem to recall there being a 600 pound orange gorilla at the Senate Debates. This is a completely different game here folks, and Trump is going to win them. He's gonna make you say "Donald, put down that poor innocent woman, you're destroying her" and he'll say "NO folks, it's about time we got tough on immigration and had a sensible plan for cutting off Muslims from entering our country" before he rips her open like a pillowcase.

It's going to be disgusting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah women love violence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

euphronius posted:

That doesn't play well

See Hrcs senate debates.

Yeah, I mean didn't Palin get a ton of sympathy coming of the VP debate because people thought Biden came off as a bully by schooling her?

I'm sure there's a percentage of voters who love watching a big man yell at a small woman but I imagine there's more who feel the opposite way. Its something I never really understand about the Republican war on Hillary. Its like they never grasped that there would come points where you had to be standing side by side with her and say those things and see how it comes off.

But then again the Ted Cruz campaign manager thinks she's such a bad candidate that Lincoln Chaffee could beat her so, yeah.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Good strategy imo, most polls show that people really prefer it when Trump attacks women and also when he talks about all his great foreign policy proposals

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

when our reporters followed up with speaker ryan in his office he pretended to walk down stairs behind his desk and remained underneath until we left

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

euphronius posted:

Yeah women love violence.

They love strength, and seeing Donald tear her in half will be the ultimate coup de grace for her campaign. The only people left to defend her will be milquetoast Islamipologists and Professors that teach Anthropology. It's going to be embarrassing to be a Hillary supporter coming up here soon folks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalvinCoolidge posted:

I don't seem to recall there being a 600 pound orange gorilla at the Senate Debates. This is a completely different game here folks, and Trump is going to win them. He's gonna make you say "Donald, put down that poor innocent woman, you're destroying her" and he'll say "NO folks, it's about time we got tough on immigration and had a sensible plan for cutting off Muslims from entering our country" before he rips her open like a pillowcase.

It's going to be disgusting.

I applaud you for being the last bold Trumpkin left, all the rest of you have been cowed. Not you though, you see what's going on and think "This is all great for Trump" which really demonstrates the depth of your political acumen.

mannerup posted:

when our reporters followed up with speaker ryan in his office he pretended to walk down stairs behind his desk and remained underneath until we left

lol

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I am so loving sad that the reports of Al-Baghdadi's death were false. Obama, already the all time leading scorer of killing the gently caress out of terrorists, killing the leader of ISIL the day after a racist, anthropomorphic orange popsicle tried to claim he was in some way a supporter of domestic Islamic terrorism might just have been the greatest political bodyslam of all time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean didn't Palin get a ton of sympathy coming of the VP debate because people thought Biden came off as a bully by schooling her?

I dunno, it was easy to make Palin look bullied, she couldn't form a coherent sentence to save her life. Watching her speak without a teleprompter is like a computer program that throws random words together in proper grammatical structure. Sure it counts as a sentence, but there's nothing there.

That and I loved watching Biden school both her and Paul Ryan :3:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump probably would have found it all too convenient that Obama knew exactly where to find Al-Baghdadi and wondered aloud how that happened.

Also he would have mispronounced Al-Baghdadi in a very embarrassing way. And then his campaign and supporters would have pretended it didn't happen.

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno, it was easy to make Palin look bullied, she couldn't form a coherent sentence to save her life. Watching her speak without a teleprompter is like a computer program that throws random words together in proper grammatical structure. Sure it counts as a sentence, but there's nothing there.

That and I loved watching Biden school both her and Paul Ryan :3:

I did too, but I distinctly remember a ton of people just expressing discomfort at the image of a man so dominating a woman in a debate. Way more people seemed crediting Biden for schooling Ryan.

But anecdotal evidence and all that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

I am so loving sad that the reports of Al-Baghdadi's death were false. Obama, already the all time leading scorer of killing the gently caress out of terrorists, killing the leader of ISIL the day after a racist, anthropomorphic orange popsicle tried to claim he was in some way a supporter of domestic Islamic terrorism might just have been the greatest political bodyslam of all time.

There's still time.

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

zoux posted:

I applaud you for being the last bold Trumpkin left, all the rest of you have been cowed. Not you though, you see what's going on and think "This is all great for Trump" which really demonstrates the depth of your political acumen.

lol

To be fair, being a Trumpkin is hard. All people can do is say "No you" and "Heh, this time he's finished" or "Delete your account". The discourse here is sad folks. We just had the biggest terrorist attack since 9/11 perpetrated by registered Democrat and Islamist. If you think that is great for Hillary, then you might want to reconsider your opinion.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oh he mad. The frothing on both sides of the election this year is ineffably beautiful. I can't believe we still have five months of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CalvinCoolidge posted:

registered Democrat

Why is it surprising that the party that fought for slavery and against the rights of minorities, women and LGBT people would produce a mass shooter?

• Locked thread