Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

sean10mm posted:

There is no need to resort to hyperbole when new 100 round drums for ARs are a legal product that anyone can buy for real right now.

They should be mandatory. Make everyone carry around a lovely, heavy, impossible to hide, and ridiculously prone to jamming drum mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Of course a gun wont help you if someone comes up from behind and shoots you in the head. If you manage to hide somewhere like a bathroom or a classroom during an active shooting situation wouldnt be a bad idea to get on the floor and point ur gun at the door.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

They should be mandatory. Make everyone carry around a lovely, heavy, impossible to hide, and ridiculously prone to jamming drum mag.

Well, that is what the Open Carry movement wants.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Of course a gun wont help you if someone comes up from behind and shoots you in the head. If you manage to hide somewhere like a bathroom or a classroom during an active shooting situation wouldnt be a bad idea to get on the floor and point ur gun at the door.

So he snuck up behind 3 people and shot them all in the head.

What you are experiencing is a common fantasy among Self-Defense nerds. You are not going to be the one who survives to save the day.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Or you can grow the gently caress up and stop pretending terrorist acts devolve into a game of laser tag.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

I want to ban all guns forever but I'm willing to compromise at a ban on handguns and semi automatic actions.

Only revolvers! 6 bullets, more than enough to kill anything that moves!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I want to ban all guns forever but I'm willing to compromise at a ban on handguns and semi automatic actions.

What about these guns? *motions weakly to beanstalk arms where a muscle or two tremble and quiver gently*

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WampaLord posted:

Only revolvers! 6 bullets, more than enough to kill anything that moves!

thank god for this smiley :ocelot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

What about these guns? *motions weakly to beanstalk arms where a muscle or two tremble and quiver gently*

That'll allow you to overpower the thug and take his firearm, and then travel to the land of Oz and throw down with the Wicked Witch, for all the good that fantasy will do.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fans posted:

It's just depressing to see this happen so often with so little done to stop it happening again. It's up there with people dying because of Homeopathy on just how infuriatingly stupid or self serving people have to be to perpetuate it. Here's hoping something happens over there soon, any progress at all would be good by this point.

the #1 group of people being killed by firearms in america are gun owners committing suicide, who typically edge out all firearm homicides in a year. so in an odd way progress is being made

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the #1 group of people being killed by firearms in america are gun owners committing suicide, who typically edge out all firearm homicides in a year. so in an odd way progress is being made

Well....that and toddlers/children who find their fathers/friend's fathers gun :(

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Well, that is what the Open Carry movement wants.

So he snuck up behind 3 people and shot them all in the head.

What you are experiencing is a common fantasy among Self-Defense nerds. You are not going to be the one who survives to save the day.

Go read the texts the victims sent out to they moms saying how scared they were and that the shooter was coming and they was about to die. I would bet everything i have that those poor people wished they at least had weapons so that they could have a chance to see another day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Go read the texts the victims sent out to they moms saying how scared they were and that the shooter was coming and they was about to die. I would bet everything i have that those poor people wished they at least had weapons so that they could at least have a chance to see another day.

"If only they had a firearm" - NRA Fantasy 2016

Y'know, other than the people who DID have firearms. And got killed. I bet one more would've made all the difference considering the protracted gun battle the Police got into with the assailant.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Gun hunting is a pathetic sport anyway. Use bows and spears like your ancestors did. Chase that deer down until it falls to the ground in exhaustion, like the human body was designed to do. Wrestle it to the ground and snap its neck. Be an actual hunter, not a coward hiding behind a gun, attacking something that never has a fighting chance. Put yourself at risk and truly hunt.

Hollismason posted:

I will find you.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

GO gently caress YOURSELF YOU poo poo!
Oh god, I don't mean I actually do that stuff, it's gross as hell. I just don't give them poo poo for it. Hell, I like my hot dogs boiled and plain with lightly toasted buns.

Hollismason posted:

Hot Dogs are not Sandwiches
They are if the bun splits into two pieces.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Go read the texts the victims sent out to they moms saying how scared they were and that the shooter was coming and they was about to die. I would bet everything i have that those poor people wished they at least had weapons so that they could have a chance to see another day.

nah most of them wished a guy wasn't shooting up the place because it turns out the default mental state when faced with a mortal threat is "this isn't happening" or "i wish i was somewhere else" not "please god make a firearm appear in my holster so that i may go get them sumbitches"

americans, particularly american men, are prone to violent revenge fantasies and it's super weird. and gun manufacturers prey on these fantasies ("stand up to the gubmint! kill home invaders before or after they rape your kids!") in order to sell firearms like deranged beanie babies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was listening to a report on the rise of suicides among white middle aged people and the host asked the expert, "Why is there such a disparity between suicide deaths in rural and urban areas" and the guy just flatly goes "Rural people are more likely to attempt suicide with a gun" and there was a beat of silence and they continued on.

86% of suicides attempted with a firearm end in death
3% of suicides attempted by pills/poisoning end in death

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

I was listening to a report on the rise of suicides among white middle aged people and the host asked the expert, "Why is there such a disparity between suicide deaths in rural and urban areas" and the guy just flatly goes "Rural people are more likely to attempt suicide with a gun" and there was a beat of silence and they continued on.

i see no reason why we should ever infringe on the second amendment rights of rural white men, so long as they are more likely to kill themselves than someone else

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

no

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You guys know im right

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh hey Julian Assange is trying to remind everyone that he still exists.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-13/julian-assange-warns-wikileaks-will-publish-enough-evidence-indict-hillary-clinton

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

"If only they had a firearm" - NRA Fantasy 2016

Y'know, other than the people who DID have firearms. And got killed. I bet one more would've made all the difference considering the protracted gun battle the Police got into with the assailant.

I don't think people carrying guns in a nightclub is a good idea but your arguments are exceptionally dumb.

One of the armed people died and the other two forced the shooter into the bathroom, likely saving many lives. Also "shelter in place and guard the entrance" is the responsible and useful thing to do if you're armed in such a situation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was feeling better yesterday until I saw CNN airing that poo poo.

We're a sick loving society.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You guys know im right

i know you're right hosed up in the brain lmbo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A lovely Reporter posted:

Gun hunting is a pathetic sport anyway. Use bows and spears like your ancestors did. Chase that deer down until it falls to the ground in exhaustion, like the human body was designed to do. Wrestle it to the ground and snap its neck. Be an actual hunter, not a coward hiding behind a gun, attacking something that never has a fighting chance. Put yourself at risk and truly hunt.

My dad's a bow hunter and one thing you learn as a bow hunter is that deer are too loving stupid to know when they're dead. "Oh I have a sharp object embedded in the meat of my brain, now would be a grand time to run five hundred yards and bleed out in some impossibly small crevice far from any prying eyes."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So....any new US political developments that aren't a 20-page-long gun derail?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
^^^^^

We may have killed Baghdadi in an airstrike, but no confirmation yet.

zoux posted:

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I've seen the pro-gun side get some statistics from countries with stricter gun control where they use some pesticide or some other chemical to kill themselves with a pretty similar success rate to guns in the US. So no gun control is necessary because they're going to kill themselves anyway!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

You okay? Canceled all your cards, updated your subs, ready to go to the DMV?

yeah and i gotta get a new phone. who steals a phone? very annoying. a bit shake and afraid to go outside right now, but that'll fade with time.

thank you for all the kind words over the past few pages everyone, i appreciate them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I've seen the pro-gun side get some statistics from countries with stricter gun control where they use some pesticide or some other chemical to kill themselves with a pretty similar success rate to guns in the US. So no gun control is necessary because they're going to kill themselves anyway!

Haha yeah that sounds like them.

Most suicide attempts are ad hoc, not planned out, people just grab what they have at hand in a really low moment. If what they have at hand is a gun, they're dead. If not, they will likely live.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

I don't think people carrying guns in a nightclub is a good idea but your arguments are exceptionally dumb.

One of the armed people died and the other two forced the shooter into the bathroom, likely saving many lives. Also "shelter in place and guard the entrance" is the responsible and useful thing to do if you're armed in such a situation.

everything i'm reading states that these were cops, which really has nothing to do with armed bystanders, is there some article that says different?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mad Hamish posted:

appeals court upheld FCC's net neutrality rules. so i think there's just one more appeal to go

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pull up, thread, pull up!! :(

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

everything i'm reading states that these were cops, which really has nothing to do with armed bystanders, is there some article that says different?

No they were cops, that wasn't the argument he was making though, which was "look how useless the three armed people at the scene were, they just died"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oxxidation posted:

My dad's a bow hunter and one thing you learn as a bow hunter is that deer are too loving stupid to know when they're dead. "Oh I have a sharp object embedded in the meat of my brain, now would be a grand time to run five hundred yards and bleed out in some impossibly small crevice far from any prying eyes."

Honestly, that just makes me sympathize with the deer. You go, Bambi. You may be almost dead but maybe you can still ruin that fucker's day and make him work for this. Maybe he'll have a heart attack and you'll be even. And while I hope your father lives a long and wonderful life I sympathize with that deer's desire for revenge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 14, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zelder posted:

yeah and i gotta get a new phone. who steals a phone?

poo poo, people have been held up for nothing but their phones. Phones are worth a lot.

Hope you're okay, Zelder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

He managed to kill 50 and wound 50 more.

Yeah, really effective.

Jarmak posted:

No they were cops, that wasn't the argument he was making though, which was "look how useless the three armed people at the scene were, they just died"

Again, the amount killed doesn't reflect your claims.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

I've seen a bunch of articles about how the shooter might have been gay. Even if that isn't true there is some satisfaction in knowing that he despite the fact that he probably did this because he hated gay people, he will be remembered as being gay himself. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that but I feel like it would at least annoy the poo poo out of him if he were still around.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, really effective.

It could have been millions!

This incident highlights how terrible the "good guy with a gun" theory is but that's not gaining any kind of traction at all.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Fans posted:

Can't you just point to literally any other country and go "See? Gun control works"

UK and other countries have successful gun control because private ownership of guns is basically just banned though (yes I know there are various exceptions).

I mean this would be perfectly fine if it happened in the us but when the two sides of the debate are "OBAMA COMING FOR OUR 2ND AMENDMENT" vs. "we just want obviously deranged people to wait 24 hrs before buying 10000 rounds of ammo, we wouldn't do something so tyrannical as to ban guns" pointing to other countries successful gun bans/confiscations is a non-starter.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

If there was a club where people regularly carried guns who the gently caress would go to it?

Drunk people with guns, yeah that sounds like it'll all work out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fans posted:

If there was a club where people regularly carried guns who the gently caress would go to it?

Drunk people with guns, yeah that sounds like it'll all work out.

Yeah, this fantasy scenario just ends with like 3 shootings in a month and the club shutting down.

Those places actually exist in terrible neighborhoods. They're scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, really effective.

Yeah it does, raw number of deaths don't mean jack poo poo. You aren't even making an argument.

• Locked thread