Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/742722487167946752

Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's possible that social media may help. Provided no state entity can get a hold over it and that private entities remain too interested in short term profit to enforce ideological purity over it, it may prove a useful counterforce to the organs of state propaganda.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/742722487167946752

(EU referendum poll: Remain: 40% (-1) Leave: 47% (+4) (via TNS, online) in case it gets deleted because of embargo)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tesseraction posted:

What you're describing is more false consciousness, which is something that needs to be fought, but the question is how to defeat a propaganda state.

apparently the propaganda state defeats itself by running the economy into the ground, impoverishing almost everyone in the country then hamhandedly trying to rig a referendum called for the sole purpose of settling fractures within the ruling parties of that state.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

apparently the propaganda state defeats itself by running the economy into the ground, impoverishing almost everyone in the country then hamhandedly trying to rig a referendum called for the sole purpose of settling fractures within the ruling parties of that state.

Which is ironic because probably if the Tories hadn't been huffing their Tory presses' farts so much they probably wouldn't believe they were competent enough to run this campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately that doesn't really defeat the propaganda state it just illustrates that the organs of propaganda aren't directly under the control of the stewards of the state and that the state is somewhat subject to them, rather than the other way around. It's still a victory for propaganda because that's what's created the leave momentum.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I would absolutely love if this makes the Tories realise "oh, poo poo, maybe we should stop the media being completely unaccountable"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VileLL posted:

imagine being one of the 5% of ukip voters not voting leave

do they just like the racism side of things and disagree with the economics?

It will be their MEPs who don't want the gravy train to stop

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't really defeat the propaganda state it just illustrates that the organs of propaganda aren't directly under the control of the stewards of the state and that the state is somewhat subject to them, rather than the other way around. It's still a victory for propaganda because that's what's created the leave momentum.

yeah you can't really beat the house

I think if remain didn't turn the dial up to 11 from the very start they may have made more impression now with their forecasting of economic doom. Now they've broken all the levers they had to pull and have to just hope that at least some Brexiters lose their bottle on the day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unlikely, because whoever survives the result is going to be favored by the media and the tories have always relied on the latent bias of the media to support them. Plus, just letting capital do whatever and coasting by on the occasional bone is literally how the tory government works, so they're not going to start going full authoritarian any time soon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JFairfax posted:

It will be their MEPs who don't want the gravy train to stop

£70k for doing absolute gently caress all is a sweet gig

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure Nige's arm gets very tired lifting all of those pints.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

VileLL posted:

Perhaps it refers to people who voted UKIP in the last election and have changed their minds?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

VileLL posted:

I know a UKIP member who is voting remain. I think he does it just because he's contrarian.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Priti Patel makes me laugh, campaigning on an immigration platform with people who given the chance would happily have her deported to a country she has no ties to on grounds of looking vaguely foreign.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What do those social class codes mean? Can someone whip up a crib sheet?
Hookerbot's link covered the classifications, but it's interesting because C2/DE are your 'standard' Labour supporters, ie people with average to poorly-paid jobs who self-define as working class. So it's basically confirmation of the split between traditional Labour supporters and the metropolitan/liberal wing of the party.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Are you still confident of a Remain victory flaps?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shouldn't really be that surprising to anyone paying attention to UK politics since the 70s though. While not as overt we've had our own version of the Southern Strategy in place at least since Heath and really firmly cemented since 79, and the Tories have long since perfected the art of managing to get people to vote completely opposite their own interests.
Sure, it's just interesting to see how stark it is.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Regarding the immigrants pushing down wages discussion.
This is sort of what I mean about how Remain are handling this. People who ask the question usually don't care about what immigrants do to wages generally across the nation, or at least not as much as what they think immigrants do or will do to their wages or jobs specifically. An American example to make things uncontroversial: those workers at the air conditioning factory who all lost their jobs because management moved the factory to Mexico probably don't care about the diffuse benefit that slightly cheaper air conditioners brings to every other American, but they care very much indeed about the fact that they're now unemployed.

The worries around immigration are personal and Remain are mostly answering them impersonally, is what I'm getting at. It's really noticeable once you start listening for it and it's sort of unsurprising that it doesn't seem to be working.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Are you still confident of a Remain victory flaps?

Less so but I still believe the result will be Remain.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A lot of noisy idiots are shouting leave, and to avoid having to deal with them a lot of remain supporters are staying quiet. It's the shy Tory effect all over again

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
At least these current polls will help keep the Remain turnout as high as possible.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

A lot of noisy idiots are shouting leave, and to avoid having to deal with them a lot of remain supporters are staying quiet. It's the shy Tory effect all over again

It was a bit like that in the Scottish referendum too. Not saying that the Scottish independence voters were idiots, but if you went by who was loudest on social media and in the streets it would have been a huge Yes victory.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It was a bit like that in the Scottish referendum too. Not saying that the Scottish independence voters were idiots, but if you went by who was loudest on social media and in the streets it would have been a huge Yes victory.

It was the old people that hosed us then and it'll be the old people that gently caress us this time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is what I have thought all along, we are getting too squeaky bum time though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

It was the old people that hosed us then and it'll be the old people that gently caress us this time.

The generational gap is quite infuriating. That a decision that will massively impact the future of young people in this country might go against them because Gladys and Wilfred saw a foreign on the bus and got perturbed. It's more infuriating that that's enough to get Gladys and Wilfred into the voting booth and not the people whose futures will be impacted. gently caress olds. gently caress kids. gently caress everyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

gently caress olds. gently caress kids. gently caress everyone.

Tory spotted.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

TNS have gone into more detail on the poll, saying the 7 point difference is a result of their turnout estimations (assuming young people won't vote, people that didn't vote last GE won't vote etc) and they think in general opinion the country is almost evenly split

e: I feel bad for the young people trying to convince their retired elderly relatives to vote remain so their jobs are safe who will be treated with casual disrespect and told they are naive children

Phoon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 14, 2016

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Jippa posted:

This is what I have thought all along, we are getting too squeaky bum time though.

The difference was, whilst the polls did narrow there was only ever a couple that showed any lead for yes in the indyref.

At this point, the polls consistently show a substantial and solid lead for Brexit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

EU is the oil baby, UK is Norman Reedus.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

Priti Patel makes me laugh, campaigning on an immigration platform with people who given the chance would happily have her deported to a country she has no ties to on grounds of looking vaguely foreign.

Maybe she'll be able to get a job with that Tobacco company she lobbied for that gives it's workers £15/Month.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Bloomberg poll aggregator shows 45.9% Remain to 45.5% Leave. They claim to weight the polls by credibility and historical accuracy, but we all know how well that's gone.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Phoon posted:

people that didn't vote last GE won't vote

Silly of them, I think people are more concerned with voting to save their country than voting for the next lot to ruin it that little bit more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zephro posted:

The worries around immigration are personal and Remain are mostly answering them impersonally, is what I'm getting at. It's really noticeable once you start listening for it and it's sort of unsurprising that it doesn't seem to be working.

What is it you can say though? There's a lot of polish people in (for example) Boston in Lincolnshire and they're unhappy. What can you say? They don't like it, but there's no answer to it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pissflaps posted:

At least these current polls will help keep the Remain turnout as high as possible.

The conspiracist in me wonders if :siren: they :siren: are pushing falsified polls showing bloated support for the "bad" side in order to achieve exactly this, just to be sure

I mean when you have 999 centres calling themselves and answering their own calls just to get the response time averages down, it's not beyond the pale that these thousands of twitter poll companies are just organs of various interests making poo poo up wholesale

But on the other hand, maybe I'm just being optimistic and rationalising the gently caress out of these polls? hug me

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think the polls are all bogus tbh because nobody knows how to estimate turnout for a referendum of this kind. All we can say is the country seems roughly evenly split on the issue itself, the old are for leave, the young for remain

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phoon posted:

I think the polls are all bogus tbh because nobody knows how to estimate turnout for a referendum of this kind. All we can say is the country seems roughly evenly split on the issue itself, the old are for leave, the young for remain

Yeah that is the only (honest) explanation for the massive disparity between polls, that they're all doing different weightings for turnout.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

FinalGamer posted:

The BBC finally asked the Vote Leave campaign about their spending plans.

Wow I mean, loving...wow.

That's uh...really stirring confidence there, having no loving clue what to do with your money at all :v:

To me that exchange reads a lot more like "oh god I didn't think anyone was actually going to ask about the money, it was a drat lie so I can't promise to spend money we're not actually going to have"

He knows fine drat well what's going to happen to the money, most of it would have to go on replacing lost EU subsidies. Probably all the rest (maybe more) would get eaten up in the process of leaving, and thereafter by less efficient trading systems.

e/ it's like saying "look how much you spend on your car, sell it off and you could buy ~anything~" *ignores that you still need to get to work somehow, and bus tickets aren't that cheap* :iiaca:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 14, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The conspiracist in me wonders if :siren: they :siren: are pushing falsified polls showing bloated support for the "bad" side in order to achieve exactly this, just to be sure

I mean when you have 999 centres calling themselves and answering their own calls just to get the response time averages down, it's not beyond the pale that these thousands of twitter poll companies are just organs of various interests making poo poo up wholesale

But on the other hand, maybe I'm just being optimistic and rationalising the gently caress out of these polls? hug me

Surely that'd be the double-edged sword of demoralizing potential remain voters too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope gangs of youths terrify every elderly person going anywhere near a polling station.

And in general.

Also looking forward to me saying "So glad we voted No, guys" to every horrible news story to have two votes behind it!

• Locked thread