Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Walmart Decides to Drop Sale of AR-15 Assault Rifles

quote:

A generation ago, the American gun industry came up with a devilish new campaign to bolster declining sales — militarizing the civilian firearms market with lightly adapted versions of potent battlefield weapons like the M-16 rifle. Renamed the AR-15, this semiautomatic assault rifle has come to haunt society in the hands of criminals and the deranged, who regularly kill innocent people in high-powered mass shootings.

Weakening sales was the reason, Walmart insists, despite reports that adapted war rifles and pistols continue as the industry’s big sellers.

No more Confederate flags, no more AR15s... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The GOPe is uh, not handling the Trump speech well:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/742740168470372352

"Muslims, boy, I don't know."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

LeJackal posted:

The off-duty office retreated after the suspect went inside, then when the rest of the cops arrived they sat outside for three hours, despite knowing that rapid response is key to stopping an active shooter/terrorist.

They likely did this because police are scum and love to see minorities die.

These are about as sensible as requiring Planned Parenthood to have full ICUs and admittance privileges.

Ding, ding ding ding. There you go, thinking about why we have violence, instead of how its done. Now start thinking about all the money and manpower you'd could spend to address poverty and inequality directly if you didn't waste it on trying to force method shifts.

Everybody brings up knives, but if a determined person wants to kill a lot of people, they can.

So lets keep it in perspective;

Ask yourself honestly - what do you care more about, banning(or controlling) guns, or saving lives?

Where can you spend money and effort to get the most improvement for the maximum number of people?

Also, I don't want to hear 'we can do several things at once' because that position presumes infinite resources, while in reality we as a nation have limited money, manpower, capital, and time.
Hey, psst, hey.

I'm coming for your guns.

None of your pontificating, equivocating or evading will help.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I know it's political suicide and they would never do it but is it possible/legal for the GOP to flat out deny Trump the nomination and give it to someone else?

it's not illegal in any way since the GOP is a non-governmental entity but it definitely goes against their stated bylaws and it's too late in the game to change them without causing a massive uproar

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Why bother? Isn't Putin the varsity squad, and Trump's the towel boy for JV?

The theory is Trump's an unknown factor in politics and they want to learn as much as they can about him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LeJackal posted:

Also, I don't want to hear 'we can do several things at once' because that position presumes infinite resources, while in reality we as a nation have limited money, manpower, capital, and time.

Translation: I don't want to hear the real answer because it underscores my in ability to admit that sensible gun control isn't a bad idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow that's actually pretty big.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RuanGacho posted:

Hey, psst, hey.

:supaburn:

poo poo don't gently caress around like that. Seriously!

You are joking right? :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I always love how LeJackal is all about treating the symptom of violence but not the enhancer of violence.

He's so thoughtful.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/blunted215/status/742741757402722304

meanwhile, in odious bloated idiots news

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I wish I could remember who said it but someone tweeted earlier or yesterday that this election feels like an argument between an article and its comments section.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A lovely Reporter posted:

Not to mention it would make hook-ups really hosed up. Even when you absolutely don't intend to use it, when the other person finds out you have a gun things will get really uncomfortable.

:theimplication: It's a boat metaphor.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LeJackal posted:

Clearly addressing the gun problem in America is such a tremendous strain on the richest society in the history of forever that we must carefully ration our limited resources in order to address this public threat. A comprehensive approach to the issue is out of bounds for discussion because we simply can't afford a comprehensive approach, we can only afford a very limited and non-resource intensive approach because we are so terribly poor in this country.

Or perhaps the resources necessary to address this public health crises are entirely within our grasp, however we are prevented from accessing these resources by a radicalized minority that happens to hold the reigns of power at present.

In either case rejecting the concept of taking an integrated approach because we lack the resources is akin to arguing that we should not take a comprehensive approach to global warming because we lack the resources.

Its a bad faith argument is what I'm saying.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"we should bomb them, maybe with drones.... oh, we already do that? uh, we should bomb them with pla- oh, we do that too? we, um, ah"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's on Trump's team. Clearly he just wants to follow through on Trump's policy of waging war on the killer's wife and child.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i mean yeah theoretically more people probably would have been killed if it werent for an immediate armed response

the flip side of this is that despite an immediate armed response, this guy still managed to rack up the high score in modern spree shootings

This is a good argument for why we need more gun control, it's not a good argument for saying the cops who ran in to try to save people accomplished nothing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AbsoluteLlama posted:

This is one of the big issues that is going to cause this to be an issue basically forever. People in the 'ban' camp simply want to ban all guns, period. The freepers know that. Comparing anti-gun people to the anti-abortion crowd is a fair argument in this respect. Any law that makes it harder to buy or use guns is okay simply because it gets closer to banning guns. Every shooting I hear arguments that we should expand the no-fly list to be a 'no-guns' list. Yeah, let's totally expand an unconsitutional program... because it bans guns for some (brown) people! Civil rights? Due process? Only knee-jerk reactions allowed when guns are involved!
I'll go ahead and quote myself since you obviously missed it the first time:

Kilroy posted:

Gonna make a suggestion I made many months ago:

Reopen the NFA registry under the pre-1986 regime or something like it, put handguns and semi-automatic rifles on it, go hog wild on the fees, and kick people out at the first sign of trouble (or the zeroth sign of trouble).

Oh and legalize suppressors. For gently caress's sake.
This sounds like a good compromise to me, opening up the registry and allowing ownership of all kinds of firearms more in line with the 2nd Amendment, while making them overall harder to purchase, tracking ownership, and taking every possible precaution and making every reasonable effort to make sure they stay the gently caress out of the hands of people who might be thinking about murdering people.

Last time I floated this pretty much everyone hated it: anti-gun people because it allows access to more kinds of weapons than are available now, and pro-gun people because it restricts ownership in other ways, more than now. A good sign of an effective compromise is when everyone hates the result, if you ask me.

Anyway, my point is, the discussion that followed was mostly with anti-gun people, who didn't like it but at least entertained the idea and offered suggestions. The reaction from the pro-gun crowd was generally dismissive and negative. Both sides have their zealots, and of course here you will find more anti-gun zealots than pro-gun ones, but on balance it seems to be the alleged "anti-gun" crowd is more amenable to compromise.

And that's just on this very left-liberal message board. The Republicans in Congress could accomplish a shitload if they showed even the slightest willingness to compromise, so thoroughly have they dug in their heels. Instead, what's going to happen is nothing until such time that actually repealing the 2nd amendment becomes a viable thing. By that time it will be too late for compromise. Have fun with your toys while you can.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 14, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't we just potentially kill ISIS's leader with a bomb like, today.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Ask yourself honestly - what do you care more about, banning(or controlling) guns, or saving lives?

Where can you spend money and effort to get the most improvement for the maximum number of people?

"Gun restrictions are an difficult/inefficient way to reduce violence compared to other things" [because millions of gun obsessed crazies will fight you every step of the way] is only a legitimate argument if you aren't one of the crazies.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Night10194 posted:

That has not been confirmed by anyone I'd consider reliable. No US official, for instance

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Igor, quickly, the time is right! Go forth and do my bidding!" - Trump to Christie.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Night10194 posted:

We do more to fight ISIS than anyone else, including already implementing most of the "ideas" candidates have for how they would improve our fight against ISIS.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RuanGacho posted:

Hey, psst, hey.

None of your pontificating, equivocating or evading will help.

Top Senators DEMAND Congress Pass Gun Control After The Orlando Shooting

quote:

Durbin is the second highest ranking Democrat in the Senate and has stated that if Congress does not act, then it will be “complicit in the next killing.”

:supaburn:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, why was Christie screaming about Muslims on WFAN? That's a sports station. Did he just blurt into it while complaining about the Jets or something?

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
88,000 people die every year from alcohol abuse and in 2014 there were almost 10,000 fatalities from DUIs

Tobacco use kills 480,000 a year.

Not one call to ban the use, sale or possession of either of those two substances.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

emdash posted:

That has not been confirmed by anyone I'd consider reliable. No US official, for instance

Why I said potentially. What I mean is, short of sending in ground troops, we are already bombing the poo poo out of those guys.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

It's really nice that Donald lets Christie out when he isn't busy picking up McDonalds for him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jarmak posted:

This is a good argument for why we need more gun control, it's not a good argument for saying the cops who ran in to try to save people accomplished nothing.

I think the greater picture is if we've reached a point where 100 people are shot when there is an immediate response maybe that shouldn't be a good barometer of "look how effective the gun response was".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

zoux posted:

I want to ban all guns forever but I'm willing to compromise at a ban on handguns and semi automatic actions.
I want to unban guns that are already banned but I want to make all guns, already banned or not, much harder to acquire and to keep with much stricter licensing requirements and mandatory inspections / periodic background checks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/742748522768896000

AWB is comin back baby

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

His Purple Majesty posted:

88,000 people die every year from alcohol abuse and in 2014 there were almost 10,000 fatalities from DUIs

Not one call to ban the use, sale or possession of either of those two substances.

did you really write this thinking we've never gone over those deeply flawed analogies in this forum before

did you think you were being clever or introducing something new?

Night10194 posted:

Why I said potentially. What I mean is, short of sending in ground troops, we are already bombing the poo poo out of those guys.

:agreed:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

You can't walk into a school with a cigarette and kill 20 children either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

did you really write this thinking we've never gone over those deeply flawed analogies in this forum before

did you think you were being clever or introducing something new?

:agreed:

Here's what's going on here, in handy cartoon form:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This just in: Bar slaughtered by man abusing alcohol. Police baffled how he forced others to drink so much.

CitizenKain posted:

Second hand smoke! Think of the mass smoking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Actually I think you'll find there have been multiple calls and even attempts to both restrict and ban those things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CitizenKain posted:

And there's a whole bunch of laws about what you can drink, where, and what you're allowed to do while drinking.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

pack it in guys

His Purple Majesty DESTROYS liberals with one trick

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STAC Goat posted:

And there's a whole bunch of laws about what you can drink, where, and what you're allowed to do while drinking.

And smoke!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

it's good that, the fourth time around, we finally realized that ground troops are terrible at fighting an asymmetric threat in a foreign culture which is hostile to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
It would be interesting to see the response to proposing minors be banned from using/being supplied with guns.

Who am I kidding the response would be the same as every other proposed restriction

• Locked thread