Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

ExtraNoise posted:

Wiz is continuing to work on "Victoria's Secret" and I'm starting to get worried excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
This is the game he will finish his Azeri LP in

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This is what Victoria 3 will be.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I just hope he didn't base his business plan for it on SteamSpy data.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ExtraNoise posted:

Wiz is continuing to work on "Victoria's Secret" and I'm starting to get worried.

Worried it will be too dumbed down and made for casuals. I know I am worried for that too :saddowns:
He is obviously forgetting the importance of the catholic influences Queen Christina had!

Groogy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2016

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

Worried it will be too dumbed down and made for casuals. I know I am worried for that too :saddowns:
He is obviously forgetting the importance of the catholic influences Queen Christina had!

preorder cancelled

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is how accessible is HoI 4? I wasn't smart enough to play HoI 2 and I skipped out on the third game entirely. Can the fourth be picked up and played reasonably well if I am familiar with other paradox games but am a straight up hearts of iron baby?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is how accessible is HoI 4? I wasn't smart enough to play HoI 2 and I skipped out on the third game entirely. Can the fourth be picked up and played reasonably well if I am familiar with other paradox games but am a straight up hearts of iron baby?

I only played a few hours of HoI 3 (in which I managed to run France entirely into the ground), but based on general Paradox experience I was able to get a much better handle on HoI 4 and this time I won as France. :france:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, it's good.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's great. The airplane menus are confusing as poo poo but workable. The game is very accessible and has a lot of replay value since it's designed to break history in some cases.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

HOI4 is an gloriously overcomplicated, impenetrable mess even for HOI vets. It's the least boardgamey game Paradox have put out in ages and I love it. It gives me a lot of hope for V3.

But yeah, go for it. Is what I want to say. What couldn't you get about 2? That one was pretty straightforward compared to later iterations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Mixed. You need to read up on things to know what to do and there's a few things where it's hard to get feedback on how well you're doing (boats mostly) but actually doing things and information for the most part is p ez.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

YouTuber posted:

The airplane menus are confusing as poo poo but workable.

My first game has been playing as Ireland. I have no idea how to get the airplanes into the actual air, so I've just been building them and shipping them over to the British so that my subs can dodge them as they sink to the bottom of the English channel.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ExtraNoise posted:

My first game has been playing as Ireland. I have no idea how to get the airplanes into the actual air, so I've just been building them and shipping them over to the British so that my subs can dodge them as they sink to the bottom of the English channel.

You gotta a) create a wing in an airbase b) give that wing a region to be active in c) tell that wing what mission you want them to do from that region's interface.

There may or may not be an easier way to do this because there seem to be a lot of alternate workflow paths in this UI and I have spent a lot of time working out air's kinks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

Mixed. You need to read up on things to know what to do and there's a few things where it's hard to get feedback on how well you're doing (boats mostly) but actually doing things and information for the most part is p ez.

Yeah more or less this. It's really not hard at all to just jump in and start playing, there's lots of info available in game and it's surprisingly not that hard to understand the mechanics despite how complicated it is.
But actually putting together a good strategy and knowing how to build good templates, balance production/construction, and so on is pretty tough because so many things in the game have long term but critical consequences.

And as mentioned there are some UI bits that are fiddly. Some of them work fine once you understand them (aircraft in general will make you scratch your head for a while). And some useful map overlays are missing entirely, and the map itself can get impossible to read at times due to some issues with how it displays stacks/arrows/etc.

But overall it's really good and feels like a completely finished and well polished game right out of the gate.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

From only playing CK2/EU4/V2 I found HOI4 to be pretty simple to get into. I'd seen and absorbed a bunch of HOI-related stuff online so some concepts were very easy to understand.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The one thing I'm wondering about is whether attrition actually kills people, or just equipment. It doesn't tell you that it's killing people, and I haven't actually CAUGHT it killing people, but it seems like it maybe might, logically?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

The one thing I'm wondering about is whether attrition actually kills people, or just equipment. It doesn't tell you that it's killing people, and I haven't actually CAUGHT it killing people, but it seems like it maybe might, logically?

It doesn't, it's purely equipment losses

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Enjoy posted:

It doesn't, it's purely equipment losses
Which you can essentially negate by putting in a maintenance support attachment. Huh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm really wanting to pick this up but after getting personally burned by Stellaris I'm a bit paradox-shy.
Reading things like it's always better to just build military factories in the long run and a few other balance quirks in the game make me a bit sad. I really like the hoi games for their crazy alt-history. Should I try now or wait for the first patches/dlc and hopefully Kaiserriech?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm really wanting to pick this up but after getting personally burned by Stellaris I'm a bit paradox-shy.
Reading things like it's always better to just build military factories in the long run and a few other balance quirks in the game make me a bit sad. I really like the hoi games for their crazy alt-history. Should I try now or wait for the first patches/dlc and hopefully Kaiserriech?

Don't worry it's good. It will definitely get better, but it's very fun right now. The alt-history wackiness is very strong in this and tonnes of fun.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I really want EU4 but the $99 price for the complete edition is too much. Any guess on how much it may drop to when the Steam sale happens? I know it's Paradox's marquee game and all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Baronjutter posted:

Building only military factories isn't even the optimal strategy, as your consumer goods is taken from all your factories, meaning spamming mil facts runs you out of construction factories pretty fast.

There isn't a "I win!" path with them. None the less, the game is good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Gamerofthegame posted:

Building only military factories isn't even the optimal strategy, as your consumer goods is taken from all your factories, meaning spamming mil facts runs you out of construction factories pretty fast.

There isn't a "I win!" path with them. None the less, the game is good.

Along with this is that trade requires civ factories. If you only ramp up military production you won't have the resources to cover it and won't have the civ factories to trade away.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

im gay posted:

I really want EU4 but the $99 price for the complete edition is too much. Any guess on how much it may drop to when the Steam sale happens? I know it's Paradox's marquee game and all.

you don't need all the expansions, or even most of them. just buy the base game and see how you like it

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gamerofthegame posted:

I literally set up my entire Barbarossa invasion with about a dozen mouseclicks. It ground to a halt because the Russkis have around 600 divisions to my 200, but organising it all has been a breeze.

I've gone back and looked at HOI3 now to compare some things, and the HOI4 interface is so good, it has actually helped me understand the HOI3 interface better. That is how good it is.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

im gay posted:

The main game and old DLC will get heavily discounted (up to 75%). It's usually just the latest DLC that doesn't get included in the sale or gets a slight discount, depending on when it was released relative to the sale. Definitely wait for a steam sale imo.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The air part of HoI4 isn't that complicated. Click on the air base you want to use, press the add air wing button and decide which plane type you want to base there. Wait for them to arrive. If you want to have more planes there, you press the number to the left of the planes and draw the slider to the number you want, that makes it so that any new planes produced will be added to that wing. After that, select the wing and right click the region you want to operate in to deploy them there. Then left click the region and decide the mission(s) you want them to do. If you want to move them to another air base you just select them again and right click the new base. The same goes for making them operate in a new region. It's like 5 clicks to set up everything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's probably a tutorial video for air wings we should be reposting every time someone finds it hard

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I was reading somewhere that making air wings with 100 is ideal for the ace mechanics

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Cheen posted:

I was reading somewhere that making air wings with 100 is ideal for the ace mechanics

Fighter bonuses get buffed if you use them in a less-than-100 wing anyway, and having 100 CAS in a group means that most of the time most of those planes will be sitting and doing nothing, since if say, 50 of those planes are supporting a battle, the other 50 cannot split off and join another battle. I usually make CAS wings of 30 for this reason, but it's pretty tedious!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baronjutter posted:

HOI4 came out in much better shape than Stellaris and is a good game. That said, it never hurts to get into a Paradox game a year from release.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Baronjutter posted:

HOI4 is my first paradox game and I'm finding it way playable and very fun.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

While I like Stellaris, I think HoI4 is a much stronger game right out of the box. It's fun and engaging and feels complete and definitely worth saving some pennies to pick it up.

I had a great night last night when my submarine fleet poking around the North Sea stumbled upon some convoys attempting to sneak by and assist Germany in Europe. I'm sad to report that one of my ships took some light damage and had to go in for repairs:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So here's a question - if I set ships to patrol, they'll abstractly move around and try to find enemy ships and shipping. However, you can also manually order ships to stay in one smaller sea zone. If you blockade a port by manually ordering ships to sit in front of it, will they 100% intercept enemy convoys coming in to resupply that port?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Star posted:

The air part of HoI4 isn't that complicated. Click on the air base you want to use, press the add air wing button and decide which plane type you want to base there. Wait for them to arrive. If you want to have more planes there, you press the number to the left of the planes and draw the slider to the number you want, that makes it so that any new planes produced will be added to that wing. After that, select the wing and right click the region you want to operate in to deploy them there. Then left click the region and decide the mission(s) you want them to do. If you want to move them to another air base you just select them again and right click the new base. The same goes for making them operate in a new region. It's like 5 clicks to set up everything.

Yeah it makes sense once you understand how it works. I think the thing that confused me is just that the left side of the screen is the 'region' view and the right side are one or more 'airbase' views, and the two are totally disconnected. But when you click on an airbase, it automatically brings up the region view for that base as well, so it makes you think the two things are directly related.

Like I sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't merge fighter wings in an airbase until I realized they were running missions in different regions and then it kind of clicked.

Pylons posted:

Fighter bonuses get buffed if you use them in a less-than-100 wing anyway, and having 100 CAS in a group means that most of the time most of those planes will be sitting and doing nothing, since if say, 50 of those planes are supporting a battle, the other 50 cannot split off and join another battle. I usually make CAS wings of 30 for this reason, but it's pretty tedious!

Yeah I hope they revise this so it's less busywork somehow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can definitely tell that hoi4 took three years to make and stellaris maybe one

And it is very accessible and its loving fantastic

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im thinking of getting both HoI 4 and Stellaris, but only when they get in a sale.

Just like poster above, I tried HoI 2 and I felt overwhelmed. I felt I didnt know enough o WW2 and warfare to even begin trying to understand the UI and mechanics. But I want to try again.

As for Stellaris, I just want to say is interesting that in this thread the consensus seems to be that it was a huge disappointment, while everywhere else it (even other threads here in SA) seems to be that it is awesome. In any case, I will buy it in a sale and wait for a couple of patches and DLCs to even try it

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The mixed reaction on Stellaris is basically down to expectations - people in this thread were expecting essentially a Paradox historical game in space, with the level of detail we've gotten used to. Instead the game is essentially a straightforward 4X - which isn't a bad thing, it's just different than what people thought it would be.

HoI4 meanwhile is pretty much exactly what people expected, which is essentially HoI3 with most of the rough edges sanded off so it's got the same level of detail but with the approachability of more recent Paradox games.

I think it just comes down to Stellaris is a new thing so it's more experimental, while HoI is very much within the Paradox wheelhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also space 4xes are a dime a dozen