Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

This just in: Bar slaughtered by man abusing alcohol. Police baffled how he forced others to drink so much.

You party with Dionysius you best bring your A-game, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

You can't walk into a school with a cigarette and kill 20 children either.

What is second hand smoke?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

His Purple Majesty posted:

88,000 people die every year from alcohol abuse and in 2014 there were almost 10,000 fatalities from DUIs

Tobacco use kills 480,000 a year.

Not one call to ban the use, sale or possession of either of those two substances.

Even after 2012 when someone brought a bottle of wine into an elementary school and killed 20 kindergarteners with it. It's criminal.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A myth liberals and PC culture made up to ruin my cool guy look.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Well, that is what the Open Carry movement wants.

So he snuck up behind 3 people and shot them all in the head.

What you are experiencing is a common fantasy among Self-Defense nerds. You are not going to be the one who survives to save the day.

The John Wayne myth is strong in America. It's a hell of a hard thing to break. Even in this video, which I think (overall) does a good job showing how difficult it is to take down a shooter in a panic situation, a lot of the pro-gun commentators are saying "heh, it would be different if it was me!" :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Johnnyfiveaces.jpg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

The off-duty office retreated after the suspect went inside, then when the rest of the cops arrived they sat outside for three hours, despite knowing that rapid response is key to stopping an active shooter/terrorist.

They likely did this because police are scum and love to see minorities die.

i'm sure this is it and not because it was a building they didn't know the layout of, with at least one shooter in an unknown location inside the building, with unknown weapons/ammo/etc, and running into that situation blindly is a great way to get shot in the face

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Even after 2012 when someone brought a bottle of wine into an elementary school and killed 20 kindergarteners with it. It's criminal.

You know what could have prevented that? Better mental health services!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

From a whopping seven pages ago:

NippleFloss posted:

The alcohol=guns example can be instructive.

1) Much like we have DUI checkpoints, let's have random gun owner checkpoints. People will be randomly stopped and asked if they have guns in their car or on their person. If they do, they will be subjected to an on the spot criminal background check and a "gun ownership sobriety test" where they are asked questions to determine if they are too racist, sexist, homophobic, or just plain violent to be trusted with a weapon.

2) Regular and unplanned inspections and plain clothes sting operations meant to identify gun dealers who do not follow all rules and regulations to the letter.

3) Much like a bar can be found legally culpable, or even shut down, for over-serving a patron who then causes injury to himself or others, gun dealers should fair game for civil or even criminal negligence charges if they are found to have sold a gun that was later used to cause harm.

4) States receive wide latitude on to determine who can sell guns, and when, and how, just as they do with alcohol sales. Local ordinances can further limit the ability to purchase guns in the area.

5) Just as the alcohol industry is heavily pressured to remind it's consumers that alcohol can be dangerous when not consumed in moderation or when mixed with driving, gun makers should be pressured, perhaps through legislation, to remind the greater public that guns are dangerous and that access to firearms increases the risk of death by firearm. Perhaps these PSAs could end with a phone number that people could call if they feel that they have a dangerous gun addiction and they need help breaking free of it.

6) Whenever a drunk driving accident occurs alcoholics do not flood the internet reminding everyone that alcohol doesn't kill people, drunk people kill people, and then post a bunch of pictures of themselves posing with their bar cabinet and a rebel flag on facebook. Gun owners could take the hint and similarly stay silent when someone shoots a school or a gay nightclub or whathaveyou. If it helps we can classify excessive love of guns as a disease like alcoholism to make it easier to get it covered by your insurance.

These are just some things I think would be helpful since it seems like there is some agreement here that both alcohol and guns, if not properly regulated and and managed, both legally and socially, can pose a serious problem for public safety.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Of course a gun wont help you if someone comes up from behind and shoots you in the head. If you manage to hide somewhere like a bathroom or a classroom during an active shooting situation wouldnt be a bad idea to get on the floor and point ur gun at the door.

and then if someone else with a gun comes in, how do you know if they're the shooter or someone else looking to hide

or someone else at all

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It would be interesting to see the response to proposing minors be banned from using/being supplied with guns.

Who am I kidding the response would be the same as every other proposed restriction

I still kind of can't wrap my mind around the fact that that's not already the case.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Antti posted:

From a whopping seven pages ago:

We already do those things now!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I still kind of can't wrap my mind around the fact that that's not already the case.

You want to strip parents of their rights to arm their children?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

and then if someone else with a gun comes in, how do you know if they're the shooter or someone else looking to hide

or someone else at all

This is the BEST part of the 'Good guy with a gun' Myth.

Cops usually wear convenient identification or uniforms, even off-duty cops usually have a badge or some way to verify their story.

A bunch of open carry advocates? How am I supposed to tell if they are the shooter claiming to be a good guy or not?

We already do those things now!

No. We don't.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Imagine four good guys with a gun on the edge of a cliff

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
If the eyewitness account of a 6 year old child crying "I don't want to be here" as his early-developmental mind tried futilely to process the horrific prospect of his impending murder and death of his friends, classmates and teachers at the hands of a mentally disturbed young man wielding a legally-purchased AR-15 with multiple high-capacity magazines hasn't convinced certain SA posters, citizens, and politicians that some sort of rational gun control is necessary, nothing ever will.

I'm a former US military member, former police officer and avid hunter and outdoorsman. Up until the point that my mind tried to absorb the disgustingly obscene prospect of a young child trying to cope with the reality of his impending oblivion by wishing, like one of his favorite cartoon characters, that he could will himself elsewhere, I thought that gun control was an unnecessary infringement upon basic constitutional rights.

But I changed my loving mind, because you have to be a sick piece of poo poo not to.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Cops usually wear convenient identification or uniforms, even off-duty cops usually have a badge or some way to verify their story.

A bunch of open carry advocates? How am I supposed to tell if they are the shooter claiming to be a good guy or not?

Just wear this t-shirt EVERYWHERE AT ALL TIMES

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

You want to strip parents of their rights to arm their children?

Yes?

I really, really do.

Why in the world haven't we already been doing that along with like every other loving thing that poses even a minor danger to kids or that kids can't be expected to use responsibly?

I keep waiting to find out I'm being punked.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

No. We don't.

So I guess the batf, cops asking if you are armed and the state and federal gun laws do not exist right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Xarthor posted:

Just wear this t-shirt EVERYWHERE AT ALL TIMES

Needs 'Come and Take It' along the underneath.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

88,000 people die every year from alcohol abuse and in 2014 there were almost 10,000 fatalities from DUIs

Tobacco use kills 480,000 a year.

Not one call to ban the use, sale or possession of either of those two substances.

Tell me how did those deaths occur? Did 80,000 people die of alcohol poisoning?

We already know all this, we don't care. We're taking the guns. You prove that reason for this by refusing to acknowledge the difference between taking others lives and killing yourself through your own choice.

We're taking the guns.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Current story is that he has been there multiple times over several years, and also showed up on gay dating apps.

Whether he was just closeted or he was casing victims/the joint over a long period, nobody knows.

closeted. dad found out. upset cause gay. kills all the gays to appease crazy dad. case closed, danno.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yes?

I really, really do.

Why in the world haven't we already been doing that along with like every other loving thing that poses even a minor danger to kids or that kids can't be expected to use responsibly?

I keep waiting to find out I'm being punked.

The NRA.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Australia would be better off if they passed a law that eliminated gun regulations and gave out 22 million free guns. Alcohol kills people so why have rules anyway?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Noam Chomsky posted:

closeted. dad found out. upset cause gay. kills all the gays to appease crazy dad. case closed, danno.

That is what it is sounding like. Between the dad being a mental case and his son being a possibly closeted gay who couldn't come to terms with his fathers views, it sounds like the shooter was just really mentally conflicted and unwell.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Btw to those still bringing up he was on watchlists

It was because he told coworkers he was connected to al qaeda

And hezbollah

Not realising that is mutually impossible and hence the fbi wrote him off as a nutjob in the harmless delusional variety and no connections to anything

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lid posted:

Btw to those still bringing up he was on watchlists

It was because he told coworkers he was connected to al qaeda

And hezbollah

Not realising that is mutually impossible and hence the fbi wrote him off as a nutjob in the harmless delusional variety and no connections to anything

And yet his employer which handled armed security, kept him on.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks to impending autopilot technology, I'm pretty sure we will literally ban driving before we restrict gun ownership in this country. So at least we don't have to hear dumb DUI analogies forever.

CommieGIR posted:

And yet his employer which handled armed security, kept him on.
Well, it does seem like he was really good at guns, unfortunately.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 14, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Reminder that the shooter's dad apparently thinks he's president of Afghanistan sometimes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

sean10mm posted:

Reminder that the shooter's dad apparently thinks he's president of Afghanistan sometimes.

And speaks Persian to them. Not exactly a beacon of stability.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Here’s how right-wing Christians share the blame for the massacre in Orlando

quote:

“The good news is that there’s 50 less pedophiles in this world, because, you know, these homosexuals are a bunch of disgusting perverts and pedophiles. That’s who was a victim here, are a bunch of, just, disgusting homosexuals at a gay bar, okay? And then I’m sure it’s also gonna be used to push an agenda against so-called “hate speech.” So Bible-believing Christian preachers who preach what the Bible actually says about homosexuality — that it’s vile, that it’s disgusting, that they’re reprobates — you know, we’re gonna be blamed. Like, “It’s all extremism! It’s not just the Muslims, it’s the Christians!” I’m sure that that’s coming. I’m sure that people are gonna start attacking, you know, Bible-believing Christians now, because of what this guy did.I’m not sad about it, I’m not gonna cry about it. Because these 50 people in a gay bar that got shot up, they were gonna die of AIDS, and syphilis, and whatever else. They were all gonna die early, anyway, because homosexuals have a 20-year shorter life-span than normal people, anyway.”
— Steven Anderson, preacher at Faithful Word Baptist Church, Tempe, AZ in response to the slaughter in Orlando

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I need a patriot missile battery to defend my house and the law can't stop me because obesity kills more people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thanks to impending autopilot technology, I'm pretty sure we will literally ban driving before we restrict gun ownership in this country. So at least we don't have to hear dumb DUI analogies forever.

I think once we're rid of the conservative court then the gun nuts won't have that back stop anymore and we're about ten years away from this

Reminder that the NRA is so unreasonable that they sued a police department for destroying confiscated weapons that no one wanted.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lid posted:

And speaks Persian to them. Not exactly a beacon of stability.

Been a while since we had anybody say there is no mental health aspect to the spree shooter problem.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The man who replaced Eric Cantor greets the man who replaced John Boehner at a meeting of the House Freedom Caucus tonight.

Women can ill-contain their lust for Dave Brat.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

someone should tell him the bible doesn't say much about teh gays.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sean10mm posted:

Been a while since we had anybody say there is no mental health aspect to the spree shooter problem.

Thinking that suburbanites need to own a whole buncha guns and ammo is the real 'mental illness' factor to spree shootings.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

James Garfield posted:

I need a patriot missile battery to defend my house and the law can't stop me because obesity kills more people

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good gay with a missile battery.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Noam Chomsky posted:

someone should tell him the bible doesn't say much about teh gays.

People like that don't actually read the Bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Noam Chomsky posted:

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good gay with a missile battery.

We cannot regulate MIRVs, or else a bad guy might get them.

• Locked thread