Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

The NRA.

It doesn't make any loving sense and I feel like I'm crazy.

(I know you agree. I just can't loving wrap my head around it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Good guy with anthrax

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

The theory is Trump's an unknown factor in politics and they want to learn as much as they can about him.

There is no way they didn't also (attempt to) hack the GOP and the Trump campaign.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Thinking that suburbanites need to own a whole buncha guns and ammo is the real 'mental illness' factor to spree shootings.

As a suburbanite who was accosted by a seemingly disoriented black man yelling "i'm gonna kill you nigga" while walking his dog at 10:00 PM EST, I can say the first thing I did after walking home was definitely not go get a gun but instead call the cops and then play Heroes of the Storm. The only thing that stops a black man who maybe has a gun is MOBAs.

I also tried to calm the dude down and ask him if he needed help or where he was trying to go but he definitely seemed more interested in me going away and not looking at him. I am the true good Samaritan.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Fully Loaded: Inside the Shadowy World of America's 10 Biggest Gunmakers

quote:

They are all white, all middle-aged, and all men.

The rest is a lot like Wolf of Wall Street. But with guns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Obama's pushing for the no-fly list restriction now, conflating people on it with "terrorists." I wish there was anybody in the national discourse who cared at all about equal rights.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

People like that don't actually read the Bible.

was muh point :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

It doesn't make any loving sense and I feel like I'm crazy.

(I know you agree. I just can't loving wrap my head around it.)

Here's the reason: for gun people, their identity is so tied up in being "the gun guy" and talking about guns and thinking about guns and shooting guns at targets and fantasizing about drawing down on criminals that they've internalized guns as a part of themselves, they cannot imagine life without them, without being "the gun guy", without that guy at work going "You know who you should talk to is Mike, that guy knows his poo poo about guns", that they react to any attack on firearms as an attack on themselves, personally.

It's the same for people who love My Little Pony, they just can't kill people with their toys.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SedanChair posted:

Obama's pushing for the no-fly list restriction now, conflating people on it with "terrorists." I wish there was anybody in the national discourse who cared at all about equal rights.
Okay, nobody can buy a gun ever, that's equal and I support it so I see where you're going.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Xarthor posted:

Just wear this t-shirt EVERYWHERE AT ALL TIMES

I'm pretty sure if you wore that to a gay club the picture of a gun would need to be replaced with an arrow pointed down.

CommieGIR posted:

Needs 'Come and Take It' along the underneath.

This would also be a welcomed addition in this scenario.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Here's the reason: for gun people, their identity is so tied up in being "the gun guy" and talking about guns and thinking about guns and shooting guns at targets and fantasizing about drawing down on criminals that they've internalized guns as a part of themselves, they cannot imagine life without them, without being "the gun guy", without that guy at work going "You know who you should talk to is Mike, that guy knows his poo poo about guns", that they react to any attack on firearms as an attack on themselves, personally.

This is true. They are also usually into MMA and The Punisher.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

I think once we're rid of the conservative court then the gun nuts won't have that back stop anymore and we're about ten years away from this

Reminder that the NRA is so unreasonable that they sued a police department for destroying confiscated weapons that no one wanted.

It makes sense if guns are holy symbols first and tools designed for killing second.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

Okay, nobody can buy a gun ever, that's equal and I support it so I see where you're going.

"But Muslims first is OK," say you and apparently all Democrats.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Obama has just said 'radical Islam' like 10 times in the last 5 minutes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Obama is fed up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dexo posted:

Obama is fed up.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/742757412537536512

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Tell me how did those deaths occur? Did 80,000 people die of alcohol poisoning?

We already know all this, we don't care. We're taking the guns. You prove that reason for this by refusing to acknowledge the difference between taking others lives and killing yourself through your own choice.

We're taking the guns.

You're unwillingness to acknowledge and do something about the deaths of half a million Americans is sickening do you think that the children if drunk drivers will be soothed by knowing that guns are banned but drunk idiots are still killing people en masse?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

His Purple Majesty posted:

You're unwillingness to acknowledge and do something about the deaths of half a million Americans is sickening do you think that the children if drunk drivers will be soothed by knowing that guns are banned but drunk idiots are still killing people en masse?

I donated my hard earned pennies to the National Drunk Drivers Association to keep the booze grabbers out of my freedoms!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrChupon posted:

Obama has just said 'radical Islam' like 10 times in the last 5 minutes.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/742757461258579968

While every Democrat in America spends the next week calling Trump an unAmerican bigot 24/7, Trump's surrogates are running away from reporters and pretending like they aren't paying attention. lol

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Man, this is just sad since the shooter's motivations probably have more to do with being a closeted homosexual with no accepting support structure, with obvious mental issues and a crazy dad, than any pre-existing ties to extremist groups.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hey guyz, are the Republican and conservative folks/politicians completely serious when they proclaim "dahh, we must take action and bomb Muslim countries in revenge" when something like Orlando happens (that guy was as lone wolf as lone wolves go too)?

Like totally do they mean it, or is it more "patriotic" chest thumping and posturing for voters acting a tough man, or a bit of both perhaps?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
The current CNN chyron is "Obama: 'Yapping hasn't prevented terrorism.'"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Man, this is just sad since the shooter's motivations probably have more to do with being a closeted homosexual with no accepting support structure, with obvious mental issues and a crazy dad, than any pre-existing ties to extremist groups.

my money's on toxic masculinity which has nothing to do with religion

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Possible active shooter in Texas walmart right now.

gently caress gently caress gently caress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

His Purple Majesty posted:

lol, as if you didn't introduce those statistics as an excuse to not enhance gun control

most people on this board would be perfectly happy to make drunk driving restrictions more stringent. and . . . get this . . . we can do more than one thing at a time!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I won't post them all, but HRC's twitter is just posting poo poo about how stupid Trump's speech was nonstop

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/742758682442760192

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TBeats posted:

Scalia died after politics descended into who can out-gently caress the other guy.

TBeats posted:

Scalia died after the pool party descended into who can out-gently caress the other guy.

There, that's fixed up nicely.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ligur posted:

Hey guyz, are the Republican and conservative folks/politicians completely serious when they proclaim "dahh, we must take action and bomb Muslim countries in revenge" when something like Orlando happens (that guy was as lone wolf as lone wolves go too)?

Like totally do they mean it, or is it more "patriotic" chest thumping and posturing for voters acting a tough man, or a bit of both perhaps?

it's hard to say because if you polled republicans on any random day they'd generally be in favor of bombing muslims

endless braggart posturing is a big part of the american male mindset

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Link?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Noam Chomsky posted:

He was basically an edge-lord claiming to support Hezbollah, and then later claiming to support their mortal-enemy ISIS.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ligur posted:

I mean I wouldn't really call what ISIS occupies as a country... and we're already bombing the gently caress out of them so if we do bomb them it's just business as usual and not really in response to this.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/32218405/police-situation-at-amarillo-walmart-on-canyon-drive

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

emdash posted:

lol, as if you didn't introduce those statistics as an excuse to not enhance gun control

most people on this board would be perfectly happy to make drunk driving restrictions more stringent. and . . . get this . . . we can do more than one thing at a time!

Then why hasn't it been done and why isn't it a priority when it causes way more fatalities? Cause they aren't scary and make loud noises?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Noam Chomsky posted:

As a suburbanite who was accosted by a seemingly disoriented black man yelling "i'm gonna kill you nigga" while walking his dog at 10:00 PM EST, I can say the first thing I did after walking home was definitely not go get a gun but instead call the cops and then play Heroes of the Storm. The only thing that stops a black man who maybe has a gun is MOBAs.

I also tried to calm the dude down and ask him if he needed help or where he was trying to go but he definitely seemed more interested in me going away and not looking at him. I am the true good Samaritan.

That man is dead now, good work

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n=NYDailyNewsTw

e;
http://fox45now.com/news/nation-world/amarillo-texas-police-on-scene-of-active-shooting-possible-hostage-situation

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

While every Democrat in America spends the next week calling Trump an unAmerican bigot 24/7, Trump's surrogates are running away from reporters and pretending like they aren't paying attention. lol

It's amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Ryan literally jumped a fence so he wouldn't have to tell reporters what he thought of Trump's speech ahahahha

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

So, is the Freedom Caucus meet at Tortilla Coast now just devolving into sobbing into their drinks?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

That man is dead now, good work

Eh, probably not, the cops never found him. I think he was probably just drunk, high, crazy, or all three. Or maybe he just really loving hated my border collie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Probably not related, but Walmart did announce they aren't selling AR 15s anymore today.

OR THEY DID BACK IN AUGUST CHECK THE DATES ON YOUR ARTICLES PEOPLE AND ALSO DON'T UNCRITICALLY BELIEVE POSTS ME

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/742760830563930112
eheheh

• Locked thread