Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A lot of the prosperity stuff sounds like stuff from CK1 being reintroduced.

Which is all for the better, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In my current Pictland run I have my council full of my powerful vassals and one devoted advisor. I've been pruning away council rights over time but I mostly operate via favors in the council, which sometimes results in one of those favors getting used to force a vote to lower their levy obligations. If I can't get a favor out of council members I'll replace them with somebody else temporarily. Once I abolish the council I'll be able to easily undo all the obligational changes.

Honestly though this approach has kept the Kingdom pretty drat stable. Even being an elective monarchy has gone well because relationships are still pretty good so they're not always difficult to bring around to voting for my chosen heir.

I do have one question though. It's nearly 1000 from a Charley start and Scottish culture hasn't popped up yet. I'm still Pictish. Is this never going to happen?

E: Also I find that carousing is almost easymode when it comes to internal diplomacy. Get shitloads of friends, make them into your powerful vassals, raise each other's kids together.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 14, 2016

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

In my current Pictland run I have my council full of my powerful vassals and one devoted advisor. I've been pruning away council rights over time but I mostly operate via favors in the council, which sometimes results in one of those favors getting used to force a vote to lower their levy obligations. If I can't get a favor out of council members I'll replace them with somebody else temporarily. Once I abolish the council I'll be able to easily undo all the obligational changes.

Honestly though this approach has kept the Kingdom pretty drat stable. Even being an elective monarchy has gone well because relationships are still pretty good so they're not always difficult to bring around to voting for my chosen heir.

I do have one question though. It's nearly 1000 from a Charley start and Scottish culture hasn't popped up yet. I'm still Pictish. Is this never going to happen?

I believe the trigger is mixing in Norman culture. Go get conquered by vikings, I guess.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I believe the trigger is mixing in Norman culture. Go get conquered by vikings, I guess.

Or maybe I'll go conquer them! :black101:

I'm looking at you, Iceland.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Eric the Mauve posted:

Mandatory: Legacy of Rome, Old Gods, Way of Life, Conclave

Recommended but not mandatory: Sons of Abraham, Charlemagne

Buy only if you intend to play as: Republic (Republics), Sword of Islam (Muslims), Rajas of India (Hindu), Horse Lords (Easy Mode)

Well poo poo, bought a CKII package on steam sale a while back and it only gave me Republic, Sword of Islam, and Old Gods. Time to spend $40 I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Charles Get-Out posted:

Well poo poo, bought a CKII package on steam sale a while back and it only gave me Republic, Sword of Islam, and Old Gods. Time to spend $40 I guess.

I mean if you have $40 to burn that's cool but it might be better to just wait another month or so until it all goes on sale again. Way of Life is cheap even at full price so you might at least get that.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The trigger for Scottish culture appearing is a Pictish county getting controlled by someone of any other culture at all. It's English culture that gets triggered by Anglo-Saxon counties getting controlled by Normans.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If we want to bring up map names and changes, I still want to whine about Hungary and the Levant and a couple other spots not in Western Europe. I mean, come on, Crusader Kings 2 came out 4 years ago now and they still have BudaPest not even touch the Danube River. It's like putting London on the Avon instead of the Thames, or putting St. Louis at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers instead of the Mississippi and Missouri.

I mean, man, do you realize what a hassle it was to try and put old Roman towns back in Hungary for a mod when in-game geography is messed up enough that you're not sure if a town belongs in one county or another one two counties to the west?

Then there's places like Jerada and Saļdia (both in c_snassen) and such, which didn't even exist until V2 times. North Africa has a fair number of holdings which are quite modern in origin or are outright French colonies, like the holding of Mirabeau in the county of Tell Atlas, which aside from being a pretty clearly French name from the Colonial Algeria period also sticks out like a sore thumb alongside the Arabic and Berber names all around it.

It's me, I'm the sperg who gets riled up by geography.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean if you have $40 to burn that's cool but it might be better to just wait another month or so until it all goes on sale again. Way of Life is cheap even at full price so you might at least get that.

Yeah, the next big Steam sale begins next week.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kennel posted:

Yeah, the next big Steam sale begins next week.

Oh cool, I will be patient then. Thanks!

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Azuth0667 posted:

I started this game as the Chief of Tir Chonaill:

Which leads me to my current problem:

Conclave problems.

Bribe the poo poo out of your steward. Right now you're 3 to 4 on dealing with that rear end in a top hat. Give your steward some honorary titles, a wife, money, or land and get his opinion to 100 and he should start being a yes-man. Then again, maybe he won't cause that poo poo tends to be broke as gently caress.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Mandatory: Legacy of Rome, Old Gods, Way of Life, Conclave

Recommended but not mandatory: Sons of Abraham, Charlemagne

Buy only if you intend to play as: Republic (Republics), Sword of Islam (Muslims), Rajas of India (Hindu), Horse Lords (Easy Mode)

No, just no dude. Conclave so far is poo poo especially for new players. The developers read a couple of the "Take over the world" game plays and said "Man, it seems as though once the players become really good at this game, they can do almost anything in it. We better throw some lovely roadblocks that won't stop it anyways but will aggravate the hell out of the other players."

New players already have trouble with the "How do I declare war? I sent my spymaster to get a claim but he's not doing anything?" Etc etc. Now they have to deal with the "Help! My vassal's are rebelling even though they're at 50+ relations with me?!" Or "My council loves me but won't let me do anything?"

On top of that it made childhood education really boring. Oh boy, I get to hit a button now... No events or anything really associated with said button. In fact this is the exact opposite of what people had been asking for an expansion of just more random events. But the button must now be pressed.

The council mechanic was a neat idea that could have been really interesting. But all it does right now is act as a roadblock if you don't know exactly what you're doing. And if you do know exactly what you're doing, it does nothing to slow you down. You can't really use it for anything interesting. It doesn't open up new options for you, the player. It doesn't have any important events associated with it. It doesn't open up new government types. Nothing. It's poo poo.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ahahaha

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Half the poo poo you (and half the Paradox forums) are complaining about is in the game now whether you own Conclave or not. Conclave just fleshes out the council mechanics, and I think even most of the Paradox forums agree the council mechanics are a good thing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah conclave is the most interesting DLC for a long time and out of all of them is probably the most "core" in terms of building on the basic themes of CK2.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Half the poo poo you (and half the Paradox forums) are complaining about is in the game now whether you own Conclave or not. Conclave just fleshes out the council mechanics, and I think even most of the Paradox forums agree the council mechanics are a good thing.

No, I love the patch. Shattered retreats? Great! Defensive pacts? Needed a tweak at first but then amazing! Enhanced diplomacy? Alright in my book.

Unless they changed it, the council mechanics are DLC only. The education I can deal with, old style of educating a kid was annoying but at least you got several events out of it that were sometimes pretty interesting. Now it just seems to be set it to your preferred type and forget about them until you need a betrothal. Ok, fine. Not as interesting to me but I could deal with it.

The council mechanic itself is dumb and broken. It confuses the hell out of new players and it doesn't add anything interesting. (Other than Glitterhoof. Glitterhoof is the best.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It might be any culture except Pictish, my Khanate of Alba has started going Scottish just from my Irish rear end sitting on it.

e: Also new style of child-rearing is DLC-only, I'm still doing the old choices. Although I have noticed a few NPC kids having WoL focus-like button-icons.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 14, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

New players already have trouble with the "How do I declare war? I sent my spymaster to get a claim but he's not doing anything?" Etc etc. Now they have to deal with the "Help! My vassal's are rebelling even though they're at 50+ relations with me?!" Or "My council loves me but won't let me do anything?"

Vassals could always rebel even though you were at 50+ relations with them, even before Conclave. The magic number to keep them out of Independence factions was 60, or 80 to get them out of a faction they were already in. That's why I'm such a huge fan of Conclave - factions have always been awful garbage that were virtually impossible to manage, and the council is honestly a gigantic improvement over that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'll trip report about how awful and confusing Conclave is or is not for new players when CKII next comes up on sale.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing that I don't get about people complaining about Conclave is that to me, it just added something that should have always been part of the game; not until I'd already pretty much "won the game" did my vassals even remotely come close enough to be powerful enough to test me before that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Saladin still Levantine when he should be a Kurd?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Saladin still Levantine when he should be a mountain Turk?

Jokes aside, I think Saladin was from an Arabized backgrouund. e: can't access an academic source, so take that with a grain of salt

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

If I have these but am just playing as some English count, is there any reason to keep them checked in the DLC window?

Right now I think I have all of the expansions but the only one I currently disable is the aztec invasion. I'm guessing with these it doesn't really make much difference either way?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

If I have these but am just playing as some English count, is there any reason to keep them checked in the DLC window?

Right now I think I have all of the expansions but the only one I currently disable is the aztec invasion. I'm guessing with these it doesn't really make much difference either way?

Horse Lords will remove nomads from the game even for AI if you have it disabled. The others mostly won't make a difference. Although there isn't really a reason to turn them off, either - it's not going to make the game run faster because all the same stuff is still happening, it just locks YOU out of it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are a few minor things tied to DLCs, like I think you have to have Rajas to get the "convert to local culture" decision. And yeah there is zero difference in performance so if you own the DLCs there's no harm in leaving them on.

Republic you definitely want to leave on even if you're not interested in playing a republic though, as IIRC you need The Republic to be able to operate proper vassal republics.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

The council mechanic itself is dumb and broken. It confuses the hell out of new players and it doesn't add anything interesting. (Other than Glitterhoof. Glitterhoof is the best.)

Glitterhoof is the only thing I miss from that expansion and its associated patch. Pity there isn't a way to just add him back.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Do you also need Horse Lords for the Silk Road?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah Horse Lords has silk road too.

Though personally I think Sons of Abraham is nice to have too, especially with Horse Lords. Jewish Khazaria is always fun, as is going jewish in Abyssinia. I also like the flavor bits its added to the papacy and holy orders.

Iunno, this is all coming from a guy who rapidly bought everything except Ruler Designer and Sunset Invasion. I kinda like them all in their own way.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Saladin still Levantine when he should be a Kurd?
If Saladin was Kurdish,
  • The Levant would culture flip to Kurdish under the reign of Saladin and his descendants.
  • His realm would be far more susceptible to provincial and vassal revolts, because of the wrong culture malus.
The former makes no sense (the Ayyubids were overall Arabicized like hell, and even Saladin himself seems to've practically been an Arabophile,), and the latter doesn't reflect the shape of his realm.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ruler Designer seems cool (if you're not a cheevos addict) until you realize it doesn't do anything you can't do faster with the console except customize the portrait of your first ruler who's going to die in like 15 years anyway.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ruler Designer seems cool (if you're not a cheevos addict) until you realize it doesn't do anything you can't do faster with the console except customize the portrait of your first ruler who's going to die in like 15 years anyway.

Its cool cause you dont need to use the console and it gives you some limits, so you can not make a total superman

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ofaloaf posted:

If Saladin was Kurdish,
  • The Levant would culture flip to Kurdish under the reign of Saladin and his descendants.
  • His realm would be far more susceptible to provincial and vassal revolts, because of the wrong culture malus.
The former makes no sense (the Ayyubids were overall Arabicized like hell, and even Saladin himself seems to've practically been an Arabophile,), and the latter doesn't reflect the shape of his realm.

Sounds reasonable.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The ruler designer was more useful when you couldn't just customize your dynasty name and arms at any time. I forget which DLC added that but it came out at least a year later.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When will Iceland have it's own culture as well as an elaborate simulation of the gošorš system of the common-wealth era and the de-jure borders of Greater Iceland which should include Greenland and Newfoundland?!?!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Who posted that mod idea of ancient Iceland with like armies of 30-40 people just huckin' rocks at each other

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like population levels and Marches and poo poo are really poorly designed in this game

Austria is supposed to be a backwards shithole!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Thanks for all the input about dealing with this loving council. Bribing the steward turned him into a yes man. I decided to replace master shitlorde that keeps trying to kill me and failing that the council won't let me deal with. The pope loves me for some reason and I've got lots of piety to use so its time to cash in this piety for pope money. All of my subjects are greedy shits and willing to trade small amounts of gold for favors leading to this:

Which let me do this:

Time to get this fucker:

That's right run you fucker:

Did you really expect this to end any other way?

Oh poo poo he's dead and still won't stop trying to kill me:

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 15, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I haven't really played CK2 ages, and decided to give Conclave a go.

I wanted to switch my Court Chaplain to a council position he'd be more suited for, and saw that I had a diplomacy option to switch him around rather than firing and rehiring him, which seems like a big improvement.

But when I tried it I was only given the option of making him my new marshal or steward, both of which he'd be garbage at and at least one of which would piss of one of my stronger vassals.

I don't mind being limited to choosing between those two, or at least I wouldn't mind if I had an option to back out of that choice and just keep him as Court Chaplain right now.

But I can't.

As far as I can see, I have no option but to screw myself over.

I'm playing Ironman, so I can't even go back to an earlier save.

EDIT: Ah, switching them around doesn't cause any opinion loss at all, so I guess I could just switch them back afterwards? That makes it better, but it still seems weird to not have a "Nevermind" button, or something to that effect.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 15, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is one of the Councillors there on a favour?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is one of the Councillors there on a favour?

This was just a few in-game days into the playthrough and I haven't touched favors yet, so I doubt it.

I ended up solving the issue by making my Court Chaplain my new Steward (making my old high-learning Steward the new Court Chaplain), and then making my high-stewardship Chancellor my new Steward, which made my ex-Court Chaplain/ex-Steward the new Chancellor, which is where I wanted him to be in the first place, because he was better at diplomacy than the ex-Chancellor/current Steward.

This worked out perfectly for everybody involved.

Simple and easy. :shepface:

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think the issue was that I couldn't switch my Court Chaplain and Chancellor around because the Chancellor was either a burgher or feudal lord, which would have made him ineligible to be Court Chaplain. The game doesn't really make that clear, though.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nomads are seriously easy mode. I started as the Count of Dublin in 769, using a console command to switch governments. It's now 880 and I'm Emperor (Khagan) of Britannia and Hispania, with King (Khan) of France and Frisia thrown in for good measure. Once my threat dies down in a few years I can probably make a run on Middle Francia and add that empire to my list. In the meantime, I am razing everything to fields, except Hispania, which is still the Umayyad Sultanate and is being left alone as a social experiment.

I'm bored, though. Probably going to abandon this save and see how hard it is to sweep up out of darkest Africa on hordes of stampeding camels.

• Locked thread