Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Looking at HRC's Twitter, I'm really uncomfortable with how excited Democrats are to use an extra-judicial list.

I'm for the repeal of the second amendment, but the fact that they're treating "we'll just say something we call a right doesn't apply to people we can choose" like that isn't a big deal is kinda messed up.

Got to get an inch before you can take a mile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Looking at HRC's Twitter, I'm really uncomfortable with how excited Democrats are to use an extra-judicial list.

I'm for the repeal of the second amendment, but the fact that they're treating "we'll just say something we call a right doesn't apply to people we can choose" like that isn't a big deal is kinda messed up.

At least you're admitting it. The standard response is some glib comment about "yeah nobody should have guns" then awkward silence when you point out this is a bigoted policy.

Maybe we should contact Paul Ryan for more info about how to ignore bigotry in your nominee.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled about this either.

Now if they were talking about reforming the process of getting on/off the no-fly list so that it's much more transparent and more judicial I would be on-board with it, but I haven't seen anything to that regard yet.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

To be perfectly honest, I think the no fly list thing is a political tactic and not an honest policy proposal. It's a way of appealing to more moderate people who might not be inclined to support gun control just because Democrats propose it, by saying "THEY WON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS THING!"

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh for god's sake. Whitey isn't going to let black people get armed enough to resist injustice. They're going to shoot you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A lovely Reporter posted:

Oh for god's sake. Whitey isn't going to let black people get armed enough to resist injustice. They're going to shoot you.

Where'd this come from?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

At least you're admitting it. The standard response is some glib comment about "yeah nobody should have guns" then awkward silence when you point out this is a bigoted policy.

Maybe we should contact Paul Ryan for more info about how to ignore bigotry in your nominee.

I think you can make a case that people suspected of terrorist links should be under higher scrutiny without it being racist, particularly if you include or embed the idea that the "no fly list" shouldn't just be de jure racism, but should include people like Cliven Bundy.

Though, again, there's certainly plenty of reason to be distrustful of the current no fly list.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 14, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SedanChair posted:

Where'd this come from?

The truth factory.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm being serious, would Russia give this stuff to Trump to try and help him out? Or is this just standard espionage that literally every major country does to each other and Russia got caught?

Likely something that every country does. The Washington Post story says they also targeted Trump and GOP systems but they don't have any information on those intrusions.

The DNC probably decided that the chance to get out in front of the story and instead make it about how it looks like Vladimir loving Putin was doing dirty work for Trump was not to be passed up on and let the Post know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think you make a case that people suspected of terrorist links should be under higher scrutiny without it being racist,

Which nobody is, because nobody cares about not being bigoted including the Democratic nominee.

quote:

particularly if you include or embed the idea that the "no fly list" shouldn't just be de jure racism, but should also include people like Cliven Bundy.

Which it won't be, which is why Democrats think they can get away with it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

His Purple Majesty posted:

You're unwillingness to acknowledge and do something about the deaths of half a million Americans is sickening do you think that the children if drunk drivers will be soothed by knowing that guns are banned but drunk idiots are still killing people en masse?

If you weren't a petulant idiot you'd know I've already stated repeatedly no one should be driving either.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How many news outlets are now blacklisted by Trump?

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

RuanGacho posted:

We're taking the guns.

Lol no you're not.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nachos posted:

1. The Washington Post.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

1. The Washington Post.

2. Huffington Post

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nachos posted:

Washington Post, Daily Beast, Politico...

Ron Jeremy posted:

2. Huffington Post

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Which nobody is, because nobody cares about not being bigoted including the Democratic nominee.

Which it won't be, which is why Democrats think they can get away with it.

Actually I am pretty sure there is a bi-partisan effort -- its the kind of small ball poo poo you don't hear about -- to reform the way that system works and make it more transparent.

But again, you're reading that into the proposal -- it's not necessarily inherent to the idea that people suspected of being linked to terrorism should be a little more closely monitored. Like I said, I don't even think it's a serious policy proposal.

The case I think would be more persuasive is that we don't really know if that would have prevented any of the tragedies over several years or not. You would think that the FBI could at least be bothered to monitor suspected terrorists purchases of weapons via background checks. (In the idealworld where there isn't a gunshow loophole.) Maybe if we let the CDC study gun violence we'd have better solutions than resorting to questionably constitutional methods of gun control.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aren't most of these shooters not even on these no-fly FBI watch lists? Even discounting the troubling issue of having people blocked from stuff based entirely on suspicion it doesn't even seem like a good way to actually stop shooters. It MAY have worked on this guy but that seems like it would have been luck more than anything else as he didn't actually have any terrorist ties and was just a dumbass.

It just sounds like a way the Democrats can pretend to be doing something in regards to gun control and skirt around actually doing anything and pissing off gun rights advocates.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zelder posted:

i hate to contribute to gun chat, but last night i literally got mugged at gunpoint (first time, yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy) and my first two thoughts were "is this a real gun" and "man, i don't know how concealed carry would have helped me here"

this thread has broken me, haha

pages back, but glad you didn't get physically harmed zelder. Next time scream fire. People coming running.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radish posted:

Aren't most of these shooters not even on these no-fly FBI watch lists? Even discounting the troubling issue of having people blocked from stuff based entirely on suspicion it doesn't even seem like a good way to actually stop shooters. It MAY have worked on this guy but that seems like it would have been luck more than anything else as he didn't actually have any terrorist ties and was just a dumbass.

It just sounds like a way the Democrats can pretend to be doing something in regards to gun control and skirt around actually doing anything and pissing off gun rights advocates.

It's actually a strategy to prove a point about how unwilling to compromise the gun lobby is on poo poo.

I believe both the San Bernidino shooter and this guy had been flagged by the FBI. It wouldn't have prevented Dylan Roof from shooting up a church, though.

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy

CommieGIR posted:

So?

Just FYI: Apparently Trump has revoked the Press Credentials of the Wall Street Journal.

Is there a source on this?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Radish posted:

Its very cynical and wrong, and stinks of classic dem third wayism. The same mentality that we're going to vote for the Iraq war because if we don't we might be labeled anti war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beef-Stew posted:

It was the Washington Post, my mistake.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Its very cynical and wrong, and stinks of classic dem third wayism. The same mentality that we're going to vote for the Iraq war because if we don't we might be labeled anti war.

Wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be perfectly honest, I think the no fly list thing is a political tactic and not an honest policy proposal. It's a way of appealing to more moderate people who might not be inclined to support gun control just because Democrats propose it, by saying "THEY WON'T EVEN CONSIDER THIS THING!"

You're right, but it's still having the pernicious effect of normalizing the idea of the no fly list. Barely eight years ago, it's existence was something the left attacked; now it's being embraced, even if just rhetorically.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever a Democratic candidate proposes something good, they're lying through their teeth. Whenever they propose something bad, they're doggedly determined to implement it if it's the last thing they do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AmarilloPD/status/742768160042942467

some good news for once

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Beef-Stew posted:

Fwiw I heard this on NPR this morning

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is it too early/am I being to hopeful or are the wheels really coming off the Trump Train finally? It's like the media finally woke up after he called them all in on a Saturday to call them all pieces of poo poo

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RuanGacho posted:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's actually a strategy to prove a point about how unwilling to compromise the gun lobby is on poo poo.

I believe both the San Bernidino shooter and this guy had been flagged by the FBI. It wouldn't have prevented Dylan Roof from shooting up a church, though.

If gun control laws can't stop 100% of mass shootings then why even bother having them smart guy. :clint:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Goatman Sacks posted:

Is it too early/am I being to hopeful or are the wheels really coming off the Trump Train finally? It's like the media finally woke up after he called them all in on a Saturday to call them all pieces of poo poo

Loooooong time between here and November.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goatman Sacks posted:

the wheels were never on it, this is all about for-profit media growing a spine and or realizing there's ratings to be had in trashing the guy

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Goatman Sacks posted:

Yeah. No. This train is going to tumble through space until November and only then will it finally come to a screeching halt.

But it is nice to have dreams, so...

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hay guyz, Finland and Switzerland amongst others have top 10 most guns per capita. Gun crime is almost non-existent anyway.

Do I think Random Guy should be allowed to buy an AR15? No way.

But there is something else than gun control going on in US right?

One thing that an European will notice is that many of the mass-shooters have been reported to have morbid interest in past mass-shootings, which suggests self-perpetuation amongst other things. (Someone posted pages back "male machismo" fuels shootings and violence iirc, but many of the shooters seem to be the opposite of confident alphas but weird geeks scorned by potential sexual partners intead, just caught my eye.)

That said number one, gun control would probably help but that is not treating the cause. As far as I understand there are so many firearms in circulation already it would take a generation or two to effectively combat the issue :/

That said number two, I can't think of any other way either, it's just that the population is already so well armed u r hosed if you do or if you don't...

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Amarillo PD scanner, they're talking about going into the store:
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14111/web

edit: black male wearing a blue shirt over a Walmart shirt

What is 1079? They said shooter is 1079 and may have said he's down.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I get that, but it seems like stuff that should have sunk his campaign a year ago (McCain isn't a hero! Mexicans are sending rapists here! etc) are finally starting to dent his numbers instead of improve them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

If gun control laws can't stop 100% of mass shootings then why even bother having them smart guy. :clint:

I was simply responding to his question, which was that it might have prevented two of the three most recent high viability mass shootings.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

theflyingorc posted:

oh good, I'm glad we're trying to get the dumbest, least effective part of gun control first, before we do anything else

the deadliest mass shootings in American history have been caused by an assault weapon -> banning assault weapons would be dumb and ineffective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zoux posted:

For Tump to continue to self destruct sure.

New poll from NBC has Clinton up +7 and making gains with white men and independents. The Bernie folks are coming around.

• Locked thread