Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CJacobs posted:

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

You need to define an offset for it since it's trying to draw (by default) from the upper-left starting at the thing's origin. You can open your WAD or PK3 and set an offset for it with Slade. You probably want the Y offset to be the height of the image and the X offset to be half of the width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Hell yeah it is :haw:

Now if only I could put down some trees! :v:

:golfclap:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BattleMaster posted:

You need to define an offset for it since it's trying to draw (by default) from the upper-left starting at the thing's origin. You can open your WAD or PK3 and set an offset for it with Slade. You probably want the Y offset to be the height of the image and the X offset to be half of the width.

Many thanks, capybara friend! I had no idea that was something I had to do for sprites!

:toot:

edit: Eventually I'll get around to replacing the grainy BG with a direct sprite rip. Eventually.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

closeted republican posted:

A new Serious Sam game was announced...and it's a gimmick VR game. :suicide:

Et tu, Croteam? :( seriously, that's low.

So, no more interesting shooters this year? That's cool, I'll work on my backlog then, and pretty sure some cool mods and maps will be made for various good old shootmans.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was talking about this in the Doom thread but being vague because I wasn't sure how public it was, but since he's being since he's posting about it on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman/status/742321652579610624
https://twitter.com/jasonxbergman/status/742322344593657856

This guy used to be a contributor to the Blues and sCary news pages and was around in the scene. It may not be the game we want, but at least it's a good sign that you've got a producer on board for a Quake game who was actually into old Quake in the dial-up days.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Shxdmx7Tk

I might replace the music with a bad midi later as per this thread's suggestion. :v:

No monsters or level ending yet, and the bounding geometry is just a big box, but boy has this been fun to make so far.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

It might end being better than SS3 :shepface:

Jokes aside, I'm more hyped about Shadow Warrior 2 than anything else after DO4M and Dark Souls 3 (2016 is a good year just because these 2).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_CZosKxig

I wonder if it'll work on my dk1

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't care if it's a gimmick SSVR looks fun as gently caress

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

XavierGenisi posted:

I would have liked the new Quake to have singleplayer, but instead, going by that vague cinematic trailer thing, it seems like it's going to be Quake 3 Arena 2, and I'm pretty okay with that.

I'm very okay with this, I'm pumped! I'm sure we'll see another badass id single player game later on too, and this one is co-developed with another team. Or mostly by another team, not sure.

Johnny Joestar posted:

quake was one of the few things i wanted to see more singleplayer of

oh well, time to not give a poo poo because there's probably a 50% chance it's going to be mediocre as gently caress

These ambitious single-player FPS games we love take years to make, and this is id we're talking about. They just released one that took about a gazillion years, or 3 years since they last scrapped and started over again. And the game (DOOM) is relatively short and focused, not a bad thing, but imagine how long it'd take them to make a game as diverse in environments and level design as Quake today.

I'm sure they will keep making those, but this game we're seeing a teaser of right now isn't a competitor to the next single-player id game that we'll see three years from now at the earliest. If anything this kind of makes sense, it's nice to have a single-player and multiplayer in one package, but doing separate projects for the two could help keep these games coming at a faster pace.

nexus6 posted:

Welp, there goes my hope at playing a single player Quake remake. At least DO4M is good.

It came out just a month ago too. Granted, my gut guess is they're more likely to make a sequel to this DOOM than a new single-player Quake, but you never know. And maybe they would do a new SP Quake after another Doom etc. id's gonna id.

CJacobs posted:

I might replace the music with a bad midi later as per this thread's suggestion. :v:

No monsters or level ending yet, and the bounding geometry is just a big box, but boy has this been fun to make so far.

That's beautiful! SEGA!!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 13, 2016

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Inspired by this thread, I've made my first DOOM map. It's all vanilla except for a custom MIDI, but the geometry should support jumping and free mouselook. Difficulty settings have also been implemented. I need to tidy everything up but would appreciate any feedback -- if you think it's fun to play, I'll submit it for DUMP.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Dude, I ain't even going to play that, just submit it. Good lord the pictures alone are awesome. :stare:

E: Hee, linked the 4 pictures to a few goons who were also impressed, and one of them snarked "The exit seems blocked." :haw:

CJacobs posted:

:golfclap: My goodness.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

NAG posted:

Inspired by this thread, I've made my first DOOM map. It's all vanilla except for a custom MIDI, but the geometry should support jumping and free mouselook. Difficulty settings have also been implemented. I need to tidy everything up but would appreciate any feedback -- if you think it's fun to play, I'll submit it for DUMP.

On one end of the difficulty spectrum, it's a slaughter map. On the other, it's a snoozefest. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

It's not a bad slaughter map, and it looks really nice, too.

I guess play it on one of the first two difficulties to learn the correct activation order (it's more or less instant death or guaranteed eventual death if you gently caress it up), and then play on ultra-violence to see how well you can handle a claustrophobic slaughter map.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That map looks amazing dude. I haven't played it, but the one thing that sticks out from the screenshots is that using the Icon of Sin texture is generally a no-no unless it's actually in as a boss.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CJacobs posted:

Many thanks, capybara friend! I had no idea that was something I had to do for sprites!

:toot:

edit: Eventually I'll get around to replacing the grainy BG with a direct sprite rip. Eventually.

Glad to help; looks pretty cool. Are you going to do any sort of gameplay mods?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

NAG posted:

I just finished it on UV with no mouselook, no jumping, and infinitely tall actors turned off. Here are some thoughts:

- I'm not sure why the player starts facing the bloodfall since it's not a very interesting sight. I think it would be better if you could see the arena right away without having to turn around.
- I like how you can select your own degree of difficulty by either slowly tackling the hordes one by one or unleashing them all simultaneously and running around like a headless chicken. It's great fun.
- I might be wrong on this, but I think if you have jumping enabled, you can skip the switch that raises the Hell Knights, making the central arena fight much easier.
- I don't know what triggers the Archviles to come out of the ground. Sometimes it happened, while at other times, they never appeared. I think it might be related to whether or not you grab the BFG before hitting the three skull switches, but I could be wrong.
- Similarly, I have no idea what triggers the Soulsphere secret. I thought it was related to the switch in front of the Berserk area, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
- There might be a bit too much cell ammo on the map, especially if you find the Computer Map secret. As a result, it's very easy to rush the BFG and thin out the hordes. Having to rely on the rocket launcher to a greater extent would make it a bit more challenging.
- I like the small side area where you find the Red Key, but I'm not a fan of the teleporter placement. It's very easy to accidentally step on it while dodging enemy projectiles. Perhaps either move it or make it a bit more obvious to spot.
- The Red Key trap isn't very threatening since the Barons don't block the exit. Maybe make it a bit harder to just run past them.
- There were a few enemies that never appeared, but that could just be related to one of the secrets I missed.
- The finale with the Imps looks pretty drat cool.

Overall, it's pretty fun, especially for a first attempt. I'll probably give HMP a try tomorrow and see if I can track down all secrets.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I did another quick run on HMP and HNTR, and I've got a few addenda to my original points.

- I'm quite happy with the way the difficulty levels work, there's a noticeable difference between HNTR, HMP, and UV. I'd maybe tone down HMP just a bit, but that's a topic where everyone has their own opinion and preferences.
- The Invincibility Sphere secret appears to be semi-bugged. You can pick up the sphere just fine, but it's impossible to activate the secret without crouching because the low ceiling prevents you from stepping on the sector tag.
- I found the Soulsphere, Invinicibility Sphere, Megasphere and Computer Map, but I couldn't find the fifth secret. That's not a flaw, of course, it just means I can't give you any feedback on it.
- I really like the MIDI you chose, although it doesn't loop very well.

- Cacos frequently seem to get stuck in this corner. Maybe make it just a bit wider.
- I still love the ending with the Imps.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I know Unreal Tournament still has a relatively good community but I'm willing to bet this is the most fun anyone has had with the UT99 engine in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7I1Ui_cYNw

Probably turn your volume down a bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's adorable. :3:

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you for your detailed feedback, Samuel Clemens. I will update the geometry to eliminate the bugs you've mentioned. I also realized it's difficult to activate the Soulsphere secret without using mouselook, so I will lower the platform to be more in line with the target. I'll make the red key fight more exciting, too.

You definitely can jump onto the Hell Knight platform and skip the raising of the same, but I'm not sure if I want to eliminate this. On the one hand, you skip having to deal with the Hell Knights directly, but on the other, you create a potential death pit for yourself if you don't.

The fifth secret is a bug; one of the light sectors in the computer map room was tagged incorrectly. I hope it didn't waste too much of your time!

Arivia posted:

I haven't played it, but the one thing that sticks out from the screenshots is that using the Icon of Sin texture is generally a no-no unless it's actually in as a boss.

Just curious, what is the reason for this? I don't want to annoy anyone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLopAPdYFhg

It's finished, basically! Making this was so much fun. Download probably coming soon.

joedevola posted:

I know Unreal Tournament still has a relatively good community but I'm willing to bet this is the most fun anyone has had with the UT99 engine in a while.

Awesome.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLopAPdYFhg

It's finished, basically! Making this was so much fun. Download probably coming soon.

This is really, really good. :)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

NAG posted:

You definitely can jump onto the Hell Knight platform and skip the raising of the same, but I'm not sure if I want to eliminate this. On the one hand, you skip having to deal with the Hell Knights directly, but on the other, you create a potential death pit for yourself if you don't.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I actually like it as a gameplay element. It creates an interesting situation where you have less enemies to deal with, but conversely, there's also less room to maneuver. The only potential problem I can see is that it might cause people to assume you have to jump to get that switch since the skull switches are easy to miss on a first playthrough.

NAG posted:

The fifth secret is a bug; one of the light sectors in the computer map room was tagged incorrectly. I hope it didn't waste too much of your time!

Don't worry about it. The map's pretty small, so none of the exits took me more than a few minutes. :)

joedevola posted:

This owns.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Hi I've been procrastinating to an absurd degree instead of working on my map and I'll have to grind it out just before deadline.

The only thing I've got for you is this

my.mixtape.moe/ooglgv.mp4

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Posting about Overwatch is now illegal. gently caress you!!!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Xaser makes some progress with his DO4M mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GomtZqWYG-o

DraQu made an interesting speedrun of Daikatana, no buddies and using patch 1.3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uqx2sFZKro

I can't get over how ueseless are the weapons in this game. There must be some way to mod them into something more usable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I did another quick run on HMP and HNTR, and I've got a few addenda to my original points.

- I'm quite happy with the way the difficulty levels work, there's a noticeable difference between HNTR, HMP, and UV. I'd maybe tone down HMP just a bit, but that's a topic where everyone has their own opinion and preferences.
- The Invincibility Sphere secret appears to be semi-bugged. You can pick up the sphere just fine, but it's impossible to activate the secret without crouching because the low ceiling prevents you from stepping on the sector tag.
- I found the Soulsphere, Invinicibility Sphere, Megasphere and Computer Map, but I couldn't find the fifth secret. That's not a flaw, of course, it just means I can't give you any feedback on it.
- I really like the MIDI you chose, although it doesn't loop very well.

- Cacos frequently seem to get stuck in this corner. Maybe make it just a bit wider.
- I still love the ending with the Imps.

You can skip the fight with the hell knights without jumping and still activate the switch, even on Ultra-Violence :ssh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GUI posted:

Wolfenstein's (good kind of) melodrama will be really hard to take seriously if they go with Blazkowicz being alive and the player character again considering how far both The Old Blood and New Order go with making him a tired and broken down human being.

You're telling me. I just beat TNO last night and loved pretty much every minute of it. For some reason, I actually felt a genuine attachment to most of the main characters--BJ especially just felt "right" to me. Melodramatic (but not obnoxiously so), heroic but also human at times.

Looking forward to this "Colossus".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Blazko's gritty incredibly serious internalization monologue playing over me shooting many many nazis in the face was a very strange combination, but one I enjoyed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sick-of-this-poo poo-and-slowly-losing-it Blazko was hilarious and absolutely a great addition in TNO, and I hope The Old Colossus ramps it up even higher.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BaujmeF_4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjK4xOSUOk

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
BJ is broken several different ways from sunday and it really does make him feel refreshingly unique that the stoicism keeping him going is also keeping him sane and reasonable.

Then the mask cracks ever so slightly, and he quietly whispers things like that. :stare:

How he reacts to Jimmy's stuff in that path is also perfect for showing that BJ is not a nice person. Becoming a monster to hunt something worse still leaves you a monster in the end, even if you do crave rest. The lucidity of who he is adds to the tragedy that the only time BJ will finally get that rest he deserves is when he finally dies. :smith:

Its good. More characters like that is good. Its why I kinda don't want him back for Colossus. Let us live in his legacy and the world he created.

It'd be fine if he is back 'tho. Just saying. :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 14, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One thing I liked about DO4M was that never once did any of the characters look at Doomguy and give that trite "you enjoy hurting other people, don't you," line, which is a trope a lot of modern games love to hammer in like it's some kinda edgy point of view. Do the new Wolf games do that? I only played the first half of The Old Blood.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RyokoTK posted:

One thing I liked about DO4M was that never once did any of the characters look at Doomguy and give that trite "you enjoy hurting other people, don't you," line, which is a trope a lot of modern games love to hammer in like it's some kinda edgy point of view. Do the new Wolf games do that? I only played the first half of The Old Blood.

Can we include one caveat, that it's awesome when Liquid Snake says "you enjoy all the KILLING, that's why!" in MGS?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's kind of obnoxious when most games do it mostly because these are games that are designed around the killing and don't have an alternative to killing, and it's intended to be some kind of subtle barb at the player.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree in general, that's why I think Liquid Snake should be exempt, he did it in a funny/memorable way. I also kind of like the obligatory funny mention to how you're a psychopath they include in most GTA games.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Man, I really wish you could scale up the enemies in ZDoom. I mean, you can scale up their sprites, but their hitboxes and firing points remain the same, so what's the point?

Tempted to see if I can skirt DUMP3's "no custom monsters" rule by making a static prop that uses the Cyberdemon's sprite and randomly fires rockets at players like a Cyberdemon, but is otherwise about as interactive as a tree. Pretty sure you can fake the guy turning around with ACS...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I agree that it can be irritating in most games, but I give Durandal's "It is your nature. Do you feel free?" shtick a free pass because I found it chilling when I was eleven :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Man, I really wish you could scale up the enemies in ZDoom. I mean, you can scale up their sprites, but their hitboxes and firing points remain the same, so what's the point?

Tempted to see if I can skirt DUMP3's "no custom monsters" rule by making a static prop that uses the Cyberdemon's sprite and randomly fires rockets at players like a Cyberdemon, but is otherwise about as interactive as a tree. Pretty sure you can fake the guy turning around with ACS...

do you want the monster to spin and fire, or track the player and fire?

RyokoTK posted:

One of Doomguy's defining traits is that he doesn't kill people.

Hellspawn aren't people.