Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Computer viking posted:

At least I have an explanation of why this hasn't made much of a ripple over here: Takata Europe didn't like the sound of the ammonium nitrate, and hired someone to find an alternative; their airbags over here use guanidine nitrate instead. Same thing in China; they use the European formulation.

Do you mean metaphorically or the ACTUAL sound when it goes off? Poe's law and all that, alt. 'the normal scientific basis for business decisions'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, I guess that really could go both ways - I meant metaphorically.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Computer viking posted:

At least I have an explanation of why this hasn't made much of a ripple over here: Takata Europe didn't like the sound of the ammonium nitrate, and hired someone to find an alternative; their airbags over here use guanidine nitrate instead. Same thing in China; they use the European formulation.

You'd think China deciding that something was too dangerous and cutting corners on it was a bad idea would have been a bit of a red flag.

Edit: that article is a pro-read, particularly if you have a bit of a fascination with managerial led fuckups like I do. I'm just glad that working in IT is unlikely to kill anyone except myself through alcoholism.

To add to it, I spoke to a Japanese executive about changing a process once and he said 'I agree, it would be good and it would work. But, my boss does not like change and therefore I cannot support this idea, I am sorry'. Good job it was just about moving data from a to b and not about how to best avoid frag grenading drivers I guess.

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jun 10, 2016

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I'll just leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OGfXfeFISg

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I just watched this and I don't regret watching it. But I understand almost none of it.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

You'd think China deciding that something was too dangerous and cutting corners on it was a bad idea would have been a bit of a red flag.

Edit: that article is a pro-read, particularly if you have a bit of a fascination with managerial led fuckups like I do. I'm just glad that working in IT is unlikely to kill anyone except myself through alcoholism.
Depends what you do in IT - programming can kill!
:smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This isn't actually about dangerous chemicals or explosions or anything like that, but it is about great engineering, making life easier for billions of people every single day.

Oh, and it contains the phrase "explosive liquified bowel movements".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYNX8y6lQMc

E: To make of for the lack of danger, here's everyone's favorite Iranian electrical engineer having fun with supercapacitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKki89sq0XY

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jun 14, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Amazon fined 350k for shipping one-gallon container of 'Amazing Liquid Fire'

quote:

Amazon faces a $350,000 fine from the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration after shipping a corrosive chemical by air, in violation of federal law. It's the 25th time the company has been found to violate hazardous chemical shipping regulations in two and a half years.

Top 25 Windows 10 Free Tools
Your step-by-step guide to repairing Windows 10
When Windows 10 gets wonky, there's a whole set of activities to try and set things right. If
READ NOW
The latest case concerns a one-gallon container of "Amazing Liquid Fire," a corrosive drain cleaner that was sent by air from Louisville, Kentucky, to Boulder, Colorado, on October 15, 2014.

During its transit, the container leaked and nine UPS employees came into contact with the chemical. They reported a burning sensation on their skin and had to be treated with a chemical wash.

The FAA ruled the shipment wasn't packaged properly, wasn't accompanied by a declaration of dangerous goods, and was not properly marked or labeled as a hazardous package.
Amazing Liquid Fire is sulfuric acid and rodine, which inhibits acid corrosion of metal. The low air pressure probably caused some of the sulfur trioxide to come out of the solution as a gas.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Amazon fined 350k for shipping one-gallon container of 'Amazing Liquid Fire'

Amazing Liquid Fire is sulfuric acid and rodine, which inhibits acid corrosion of metal. The low air pressure probably caused some of the sulfur trioxide to come out of the solution as a gas.

You have to link the MSDS with that, it's a work of art.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

jetz0r posted:

I didn't believe you. Then I clicked and :eyepop:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I thought people were posting that image as a joke. :psyduck:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

MSpaintDS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The (lack of) production quality is more informative than any of the symbols.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The text layout is comparably incompetent, though that's less entertaining.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Computer viking posted:

The text layout is comparably incompetent, though that's less entertaining.

They did use some kind of text editor for the text, it wasn't all scribbled on a pdf with the paint draw tool.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Phy posted:

MSpaintDS
:v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's apparently called an SDS now, presumably to ensure that important data about spiritual hazards isn't omitted.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I had to pull up the SDS on ectoplasm the other day.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
"It's like concentrated nitric acid, only it pretends to be blue and cute."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8lon0TyPl0

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

It's apparently called an SDS now, presumably to ensure that important data about spiritual hazards isn't omitted.

You jest, but don't pretend those folks at Klapotke's lab don't have some degree of psychic scarring

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nmfree posted:

"It's like concentrated nitric acid, only it pretends to be blue and cute."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8lon0TyPl0

This is a good video. Perfect for this thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nile Red whipped up a pretty big batch of mercury thiocyanate a while back, he put up a video of him burning the stuff in various fuel configurations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQdK7gaZS0k

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thanks a lot for this thread. I've worked with ammonia freezing plant before and have personally gotten to enjoy an ammonia leak. It began leaking out of a valve which I then tried my hardest to close, but my body basically decided for me to get up and run out of the room. The absolute worst thing about it was I knew I had no option but to go back in and get that valve shut or very slowly watch the plant dump its entire ammonia charge. Even putting on a mask with ammonia filters would only give me a few seconds in there before I had to run back out and get fresh air. Took me three or four tries to get it fully closed.
It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. It's as close to a physical pain without actually being painful as I can imagine, and I just remember feeling as though I was having a massive asthma attack - I guess that's what triggered my body's fight or flight response - and that I couldn't suck in air at all.

And then I read this thread and I think 'hey, that could have been a lot worse.'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Two Finger posted:

Thanks a lot for this thread. I've worked with ammonia freezing plant before and have personally gotten to enjoy an ammonia leak. It began leaking out of a valve which I then tried my hardest to close, but my body basically decided for me to get up and run out of the room. The absolute worst thing about it was I knew I had no option but to go back in and get that valve shut or very slowly watch the plant dump its entire ammonia charge. Even putting on a mask with ammonia filters would only give me a few seconds in there before I had to run back out and get fresh air. Took me three or four tries to get it fully closed.
It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. It's as close to a physical pain without actually being painful as I can imagine, and I just remember feeling as though I was having a massive asthma attack - I guess that's what triggered my body's fight or flight response - and that I couldn't suck in air

That's insane. Pretty sure the cost to the company to replace its entire ammonia supply would be less than what they'd pay out in a wrongful death lawsuit, let them worry about that and you worry about your family. That's a sound-the-alarm and run situation, not a keep-going-back-in-with-inadequate PPE.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Phanatic posted:

That's insane. Pretty sure the cost to the company to replace its entire ammonia supply would be less than what they'd pay out in a wrongful death lawsuit, let them worry about that and you worry about your family. That's a sound-the-alarm and run situation, not a keep-going-back-in-with-inadequate PPE.

Fishing boat mate. Not a whole lot of places to run to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Two Finger posted:

Fishing boat mate. Not a whole lot of places to run to.

Jesus, get your company to switch their refrigeration maintenance then.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Fishing boat with enclosed spaces and no self-contained breathing apparatus, just masks with filters? Ammonia entirely aside that's not a good idea.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah you're well within your right to complain about that incident. At no point in your career should you ever have to put yourself in harm's way. They make ppe for just that sort of occasion. It's so much cheaper and easier than dealing with your corpse too!

Hell I'd file an OSHA complaint and go start looking for a new job since they'd soon can me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In that case the take away is that anyone responsible for that system probably should have had hazmat training and access to supplied air PPE. A full loss of an ammonia refrigerator charge when a valve could be closed to arrest it is just unacceptable. There's mitigation like water fogging, but mitigation is all it is. You can't replace mechanically arresting the leak, even if it should have been in the context of a hazmat response.

For reference, the hazmat guidance (and general resipirator best practices) for choosing respirators is you can use a filtered air respirator if you know exactly what the concentration of the hazardous material is so you can calculate breakthrough time. You should use supplied air if you don't know the concentration. As my instructor put it, when the hell are you ever going to know concentration in an emergency?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The FOOFiest part is that seems to be a pretty common story. Someone cheap enough to get an ammonia refrigerator is probably the type to only do the barest minimum of safety prep and demand it not kill anyone with leaks by sheer will.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah you're well within your right to complain about that incident. At no point in your career should you ever have to put yourself in harm's way. They make ppe for just that sort of occasion. It's so much cheaper and easier than dealing with your corpse too!

Hell I'd file an OSHA complaint and go start looking for a new job since they'd soon can me.

I don't work there any more because of a number of reasons including their rather.... lax view on safety and employee happiness.
It's the only time in my life I have walked off a job.

zedprime posted:

The FOOFiest part is that seems to be a pretty common story. Someone cheap enough to get an ammonia refrigerator is probably the type to only do the barest minimum of safety prep and demand it not kill anyone with leaks by sheer will.

It's a bit misleading to refer to it as a refrigerator, it was a full on freezing plant.

zedprime posted:

In that case the take away is that anyone responsible for that system probably should have had hazmat training and access to supplied air PPE. A full loss of an ammonia refrigerator charge when a valve could be closed to arrest it is just unacceptable. There's mitigation like water fogging, but mitigation is all it is. You can't replace mechanically arresting the leak, even if it should have been in the context of a hazmat response.

For reference, the hazmat guidance (and general resipirator best practices) for choosing respirators is you can use a filtered air respirator if you know exactly what the concentration of the hazardous material is so you can calculate breakthrough time. You should use supplied air if you don't know the concentration. As my instructor put it, when the hell are you ever going to know concentration in an emergency?

Ummm. Sorry, I'm not really clear on what you're saying here. The second part is obvious - always err on the side of safety - but the first, are you telling me I'm a moron for going back in to close the valve, or are you agreeing with my decision to get it shut and stop the situation getting any worse?
My line of thinking was 'I stop this now, before more leaks and it becomes a serious threat to the safety of everyone on board.'
Yes, I am well aware I put myself at greater risk to do so, but I judged it a worthwhile tradeoff.

And it cleared my sinuses like you wouldn't believe.

I actually quite like discussions like this one, because by any sane hazmat response, I was nuts to just throw a mask on and get back in there. But, it was a successful action with no serious harm done - and I should mention the PPM alarm had only hit 100, the 200 alarm hadn't gone yet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Fishing boat with enclosed spaces and no self-contained breathing apparatus, just masks with filters? Ammonia entirely aside that's not a good idea.

All ships carry full firefighting gear including full SCBA. If I hadn't been able to get to the valve to close it off, my next action would have been to go on air.

I realise it wasn't the most safety oriented decision I could have made, as I said, but it was a successful action.

The mask was a full face shield, and as I say it bought me enough time to do what I needed to.

But perhaps this is a better discussion for an OSH thread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Two Finger posted:

It's a bit misleading to refer to it as a refrigerator, it was a full on freezing plant.

Ummm. Sorry, I'm not really clear on what you're saying here. The second part is obvious - always err on the side of safety - but the first, are you telling me I'm a moron for going back in to close the valve, or are you agreeing with my decision to get it shut and stop the situation getting any worse?
My line of thinking was 'I stop this now, before more leaks and it becomes a serious threat to the safety of everyone on board.'
Yes, I am well aware I put myself at greater risk to do so, but I judged it a worthwhile tradeoff.

And it cleared my sinuses like you wouldn't believe.

I actually quite like discussions like this one, because by any sane hazmat response, I was nuts to just throw a mask on and get back in there. But, it was a successful action with no serious harm done - and I should mention the PPM alarm had only hit 100, the 200 alarm hadn't gone yet.
Refrigerator is the generic term for anything what makes things cold by the refrigeration cycle. That includes household refrigerators, commercial freezers, home or car air conditioning, or I assume in your case flash freezers. The refrigeration plant makes something cold, what you do with that something is up to you.

A leak needs stopping whether you're on a boat or at a factory in the sticks, or especially a factory in an inhabited area, for the collateral damage reasoning, so I think we're agreeing. But standard procedure for an air filtering respirator is that if you detect breakthrough, you NOPE yourself out of there and get a better respirator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This makes a “FOOF” sound and it’s cool so I’m posting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNSUIsjdpY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thank you for posting that, it's fantastic. The flame front is downright beautiful to watch.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Two Finger posted:

The mask was a full face shield, and as I say it bought me enough time to do what I needed to.

The problem I have with this kind of reasoning is that it only buys you enough time until it doesn't, at which point you're now Proper hosed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Cross post from the horrible mechanical failures thread:

um excuse me posted:

I've worked with Arsine, phosphine, boron trifluoride, germanium tetrafluoride, silicon tetrafluoride, diboron tetrafluoride, diborane, and hydrofluoric acid in live gas environments. Diboron tetrafluoride is by far the worst. It is extremely expensive to make at around $300 a gram. It is used for ion implant in the semiconductor industry.

Even making it is :psyduck:. You start with enriched B11 boron. Heat that fucker up until it glows white hot, the run boron trifluoride over it which will strip boron off of the metal into boron monofluoride, diborane and unreacted BF3. Then in the same reactor a thermal gradient of over 2200C has to supercool it into a stable state until the synthesis is complete. After which you need to warm up the reactor to -20C to begin to form B2F4 to about 30% by mass. You capture it and distill it using a cryogenic distillation technique using hundreds of gallons of liquid nitrogen.

The hazards with diboron tetrafluoride include being extremely toxic past 1ppm. It also form a cloud of hydrofluoric acid in contact with air. For those who don't know, not only does the acid burn skin, but it also absorbed through it and will decalcify your bones. The only way to stop it is by introducing a larger supply of suspended calcium to the surface of your skin as a sacrificial media and hope it all reacts. Diboron tetrafluoride is also pyrophoric past 15% which means it spontaneously burns in contact with air. So overall B2F4 is toxic, corrosive and flammable to the very extremes of the definitions. Fun stuff.

A lot of us understand a lot of chemistry but there are some real lessons in there as far as being at the pointy end of the stick is concerned.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
With how mind-bogglingly lethal everything I read about in this thread is, I sometimes wonder why people even try to make it? Like at what point is your science goal not worth having your bones melt? But I suspect asking that kind of question is why I'm not a chemist.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Memento posted:

Cross post from the horrible mechanical failures thread:

A lot of us understand a lot of chemistry but there are some real lessons in there as far as being at the pointy end of the stick is concerned.

Once again confirms that I'd never want to work in the semiconductor industry. It terms of industrial chemicals they seem to work with nearly all the nastiest stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YggiDee posted:

With how mind-bogglingly lethal everything I read about in this thread is, I sometimes wonder why people even try to make it? Like at what point is your science goal not worth having your bones melt? But I suspect asking that kind of question is why I'm not a chemist.

As the post I quoted said, B2F4 is for ion implantation. Semiconductor fabrication makes integrated circuits (microchips) which make computers.

Basically, we do all of these things so that 13 year olds can call each other homophobic slurs on Xbox live.