Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember, it's always important to cannibalize queer creators you don't agree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah like, this is a whole complicated thing, it's okay for a creator to have an opinion on it that you don't share. That doesn't mean they should stop making that thing. It's not even possible to produce work that touches of these issues that everyone can agree on, these issues are being explored.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

remember, it's always important to cannibalize queer creators you don't agree with

Hope you're ready for me to dredge up this post out of context a year from now :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sure, though i'm having trouble coming up with a context in which it's relevant

i don't generally post about works i dislike much these days i think?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just wait until you start eating people

Gonna come back on you SO hard

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
hmmm this artist posted in the bad webcomics thread because she's uncomfortable with the way they discuss her work, better breathlessly bring word to the other webcomics thread so they can all talk about it too

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space-Bird posted:

OPM's original art is atrocious and it's still fun as heck. I'd argue even the writing is pretty poor. Who cares though, a funny bald dude is strong and it's a fun time.

It's OK to just enjoy things, sometimes. I don't really understand why people hold webcomics to this crazy standard when you can take a glimpse at professional, paid, media that can be just as error riddled, or often worse: (TOEI animation, a lot of crummy looking Marvel/DC comics etc)

I can guarantee most people making webomics are trying their best, which seems to be threatening to a certain type of person on the internet. It can honestly get really intimidating when you see a bunch of people reaching really hard to hate on something.

Sure, I get that some people take crit poorly, I understand that some things are outright bad or harmful, and I get some people just wanna sit around and joke with their buds.... but sometimes it seems to get downright frightening. That's my perspective on it, at least. :ohdear:

I think there's definitely a certain breed of slightly-too-cruel critic who hates on partial failures because they're paralysingly afraid of making mistakes themselves, therefore don't create, and so seeing someone trying their imperfect best holds an unflattering mirror up to that. That's probably not the whole story about people who harangue less-than-perfect webcomics, but I think it's the case for some of them.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Android Blues posted:

I think there's definitely a certain breed of slightly-too-cruel critic who hates on partial failures because they're paralysingly afraid of making mistakes themselves, therefore don't create, and so seeing someone trying their imperfect best holds an unflattering mirror up to that. That's probably not the whole story about people who harangue less-than-perfect webcomics, but I think it's the case for some of them.

Yeah, and from the creator point of view, no matter how well adjusted, zen-like, and aware you are, you are still putting yourself in a pretty vulnerable place, by making something. It can still be really hurtful to see people mock something you've put your heart into. This doesn't mean things are above criticism, but we're not usually talking about people who can go sob on there giant piles of money here....

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, and from the creator point of view, no matter how well adjusted, zen-like, and aware you are, you are still putting yourself in a pretty vulnerable place, by making something. It can still be really hurtful to see people mock something you've put your heart into. This doesn't mean things are above criticism, but we're not usually talking about people who can go sob on there giant piles of money here....

Well. Aaron Diaz probably gets a decent pile of money from Patreon alone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Theodore Roosevelt posted:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody in here read o human star?

it updated yesterday with a pretty intense page

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yet again, Theodore Roosevelt proves that he has forgotten more about webcomics than I will ever know.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His review of the Armory Show is an interesting read as well

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5565/

quote:

In some ways it is the work of the American painters and sculptors which is of most interest in this collection, and a glance at this work must convince any one of the real good that is coming out of the new movements, fantastic though many of the developments of these new movements are. There was one note entirely absent from the exhibition, and that was the note of the commonplace. There was not a touch of simpering, self-satisfied conventionality anywhere in the exhibition. Any sculptor or painter who had in him something to express and the power of expressing it found the field open to him. He did not have to be afraid because his work was not along ordinary lines. There was no stunting or dwarfing, no requirement that a man whose gift lay in new directions should measure up or down to stereotyped and fossilized standards.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Yet again, Theodore Roosevelt proves that he has forgotten more about webcomics than I will ever know.

I would read a webcomic by Theodore Roosevelt. He looks like he was even practicing!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tollymain posted:

...yowza.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Enough art for 7 years of comics or so

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now do loss

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this guy covered it about as well as I could

Except that Allen Wren is completely full of crap? GtH isn't on some gold-star gay purist thing.

Val's whole "queer-platonic" spiel has absolutely nothing to do with dodging bisexuality. It has everything to do with "Why isn't there a socially-acknowledged level of intimacy between just-friends and full-blown-romance-and/or-lust, wherein friendly make-outs can happen?" (Which she wrote in response to a bunch of people expecting a boring love triangle, or calling Fenic a homewrecker or whatever.)

For example:

quote:

There's really two routes here - one being that this is actually the main emotional relationship in these characters' lives, which ends up making this whole "no they're pure queers really" thing some really disingenuous bi erasure, the other being that this is, what, just some cheap heat fanservice to get some makeouts flowing for the readership to coo over?

No? There are definitely other routes. There are a lot of other routes. It could also be complete poly pandering, because that's also a thing people are into.

Like, don't get me wrong, bi erasure and queerer-than-thou poo poo totally exists, but GtH ain't part of it.

EDIT: Clarification, I don't disagree with anyone criticizing the awkward pacing, or the odd art choices, or the fact that it is ABSOLUTELY pandering to its audience of gay trans poly hipster furries. But "gross politics" seems like an unfair accusation.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

Now this is some good comics

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Android Blues posted:

All we're missing from the discussion now is an unironic posting of that Zen Pencils comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The worst I can say about GtH is that it reminds me at times of Kazerad and his unabashedly cynical approach to pandering with his webcomic endeavors. Which isn't a bad thing because ultimately, pandering to rather underrepresented groups isn't the worst thing in the world, but I don't think it has much meat as a story independent of those qualities. :effort:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mycot posted:

Well. Aaron Diaz probably gets a decent pile of money from Patreon alone.

Speaking of Aaron Diaz, I would like to state that the last two or three pages of Dresden Codak are the most Aaron Diaz thing ever.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Speaking of Aaron Diaz, I would like to state that the last two or three pages of Dresden Codak are the most Aaron Diaz thing ever.

Blank white canvases?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zerilan posted:

Blank white canvases?

Okay, 2nd most Aaron Diaz thing.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The worst I can say about GtH is that it reminds me at times of Kazerad and his unabashedly cynical approach to pandering with his webcomic endeavors. Which isn't a bad thing because ultimately, pandering to rather underrepresented groups isn't the worst thing in the world, but I don't think it has much meat as a story independent of those qualities. :effort:

Can you really call it pandering when it's drawn by someone who herself is a member of those specific groups? It's not a built-by-committee story, it seems to me it's one person's worldview and experiences presented for like people.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can if your some sort of weird jerk

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Yay a new one yaaaaaaay http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/37

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Can you really call it pandering when it's drawn by someone who herself is a member of those specific groups? It's not a built-by-committee story, it seems to me it's one person's worldview and experiences presented for like people.

Yes.

That you can pander to people with similar interests to your own is the least novel concept in the world.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in paranatural:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oof. Back to the gut punches I see.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Yes.

That you can pander to people with similar interests to your own is the least novel concept in the world.

explain how it is "unabashedly cynical pandering" compareble to kazerad's cat trauma elder scrolls fanfiction homestuck rip-off in specific terms, then. because that's what you said.

i'm so exhausted by the goon tendency for lgbt creators actually telling stories about lgbt things "pandering" and not just trying to carve out the tiniest obscure internet space for our stories

edit: typo

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

explain how it is "unabashedly cynical pandering" compareble to kazerad's cat trauma elder scrolls fanfiction homestuck rip-off in specific terms, then. because that's what you said.

i'm so exhausted by the goon tendency for lgbt creators actually telling stories about lgbt things "pandering" and not just trying to carve out the tiniest obscure internet space for our stories

edit: typo

Calm down and actually read the post. Reading the first sentence does not qualify as reading the post.

GtH is, at it's worst, inoffensive. Much like ham handedly including a minority in mainstream media still beats the hell out of not having them at all, having more stories featuring rather underrepresented groups is nice even if sometimes they lack in substance.

Which is kind of how I feel about GtH. I'm glad it exists, and more representation is desireable, but that doesn't mean I have to think it's a particularly interesting story.

This is without even getting into issues like "pandering isn't inherently bad", see also the many complaints that have been levelled at Aaron Diaz: It's not so much what he does that rubs people the wrong way, but rather that he tries to present himself as some great feminist for drawing a boob.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

well this was certainly not what I expected when Lisa's character bio mentioned running the schoool store

:suspense:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

it's good, imo, but man I hope Al gets to have a nice day someday

Gutter Owl posted:

Except that Allen Wren is completely full of crap? GtH isn't on some gold-star gay purist thing.

Val's whole "queer-platonic" spiel has absolutely nothing to do with dodging bisexuality. It has everything to do with "Why isn't there a socially-acknowledged level of intimacy between just-friends and full-blown-romance-and/or-lust, wherein friendly make-outs can happen?" (Which she wrote in response to a bunch of people expecting a boring love triangle, or calling Fenic a homewrecker or whatever.)

For example:

No? There are definitely other routes. There are a lot of other routes. It could also be complete poly pandering, because that's also a thing people are into.

Like, don't get me wrong, bi erasure and queerer-than-thou poo poo totally exists, but GtH ain't part of it.

EDIT: Clarification, I don't disagree with anyone criticizing the awkward pacing, or the odd art choices, or the fact that it is ABSOLUTELY pandering to its audience of gay trans poly hipster furries. But "gross politics" seems like an unfair accusation.

sure know I wanna make out with people I'm categorically not sexually attracted to all the loving time

is this an actual argument you are putting forward, that 'no hetero bro' is a real and important thing that only this comic has the courage to address. yes indeed why isn't there a special word for wanting to play doctor with someone that emphasizes that you are definitely absolutely a priori on the other extreme of the Kinsey scale and in no way implies you're one of those weirdos who can be attracted to multiple kinds of people

yaaaay

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 15, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Looks like it's time for someone to get BravestOfLamps a new avatar. :v:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's good, imo, but man I hope Al gets to have a nice day someday

sure know I wanna make out with people I'm categorically not sexually attracted to all the loving time

is this an actual argument you are putting forward, that 'no hetero bro' is a real and important thing that only this comic has the courage to address. yes indeed why isn't there a special word for wanting to play doctor with someone that emphasizes that you are definitely absolutely a priori on the other extreme of the Kinsey scale and it in no way implies you're one of those weirdos who can be attracted to multiple kinds of people

yaaaay

What are you talking about

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What are you talking about

Maybe I'm out of touch but I am also a little flummoxed at the idea that tongue-kissing someone can be interpreted as a "platonic" gesture in the vein of a friendly handshake or double pistol-fingers and a wink.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Maybe I'm out of touch but I am also a little flummoxed at the idea that tongue-kissing someone can be interpreted as a "platonic" gesture in the vein of a friendly handshake or double pistol-fingers and a wink.

About the furthest you can tow the line for platonic kissing is cheek to cheek style. Or like, forehead kisses, but those kinda get creepy depending on things

Once it's lip locking, let alone tongue wrasslin, that kinda goes past platonic. Friends, sure, but friends who kiss like that are more the 'with benefits' kind.

But hey maybe I'm wrong

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Well, did Plato use tongue? If so, then tongue is platonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

is this an actual argument you are putting forward, that 'no hetero bro' is a real and important thing that only this comic has the courage to address. yes indeed why isn't there a special word for wanting to play doctor with someone that emphasizes that you are definitely absolutely a priori on the other extreme of the Kinsey scale and in no way implies you're one of those weirdos who can be attracted to multiple kinds of people

...that had literally nothing to do with my post. How did you miss the point this hard?

Whether or not Fenic likes boys in general or doesn't like boys in general or might gently caress a dude at some point, is completely goddamn irrelevant. Maybe you'd call her bi, maybe she likes lesbian, they are literally words we made up in the last century and argue about all the loving time. There is no parts-dude-per-million limit where your attraction legally goes from gay to bi, unless you're one of those asinine gold-star purists.

Fenic's sexuality is mentioned twice in the comic. Once here, where Leo (and the authorial voice) are teasing Fenic for her crush-thing. Like, idk how it is in YOUR local queer enclave, but where I'm from, "omg you're so loving gay" is just something you say to tease someone with a same-gender crush, regardless of said person's specific sexuality? (Sidenote-wise, there's also a big dumb loving argument in the queer community on Tumblr about whether or not trans women who like women are *real lesbians,* and I'm pretty sure Val is using this opportunity to state her own position on this mess.)

The other time is right before the kiss in question, when Leo basically asks, "but wait, aren't you gay?" To which Fenic's response is a definite "Whatever." That is literally the opposite of "no hetero, bro." It is an expression of apathy, not an expression of caring too much.

The whole queer-platonic thing has nothing to do with straight or gay or bi. It has everything to do with a mid-level between Romantic Relationship and Platonic Relationship. I don't particularly like the term, because the etymology is majorly unclear. (The usage of "queer" here is used in the same context as "genderqueer," which isn't directly related to "queer orientation," because identity-politics-slang is all bashed together with a brick by drunk teenagers trying to figure out how feelings work.) But whatever, she didn't invent the word, and the concept seems entirely reasonable to me?

Oxxidation posted:

That's kinda the point? It's not really platonic, but it's not romantic either, so here's a word invented by Tumblr because it's the best anyone's got to hand I guess? It's not like the term even appears in the comic.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 15, 2016

• Locked thread