Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
I feel safer already, just knowing that I share an internet with her. Paranoid people who fantasize about death in the grocery store are just what we need to make America great again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Came for the stupid macro, stayed for the second comment.

For the record, the last time a week had passed in the US without a mass shooting was April 15th, 2015]. I don't think we can ever talk about guns, you guys. :ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Degenerate Star posted:

I feel safer already, just knowing that I share an internet with her. Paranoid people who fantasize about death in the grocery store are just what we need to make America great again.

I'm actually pro-gun, even tho I choose not to own them myself. What gets me about people like that is the belief that the 2 options are die in fear or go out in a blaze of glory and gunfire.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
The only solution is to make Revolver Ocelot the ultimate symbol of American masculinity

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

"Under my shirt" reminds me of this video I stumbled upon yesterday, in which people went into a shooting simulation with guns under their shirts. The first guy in particular has a problem with that element of things. (At about 2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Also all of them get shot before pulling the trigger, so at least that part of the post seems pretty likely.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Posted by my step sister today without a hint of irony.

e: She just now posted this.

I get someone wanting to own a gun because they believe they need it to protect their family. I don't understand people who concoct these elaborate fantasies where they play the Punisher in Starbucks, that's a crazy way to live your life.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Came for the stupid macro, stayed for the second comment.

Using the deaths of 50 people to push your anti murder agenda is wrong.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
*easily avoidable tragedy happens*
"Now is not the time to talk about gun legislation"

So when the gently caress is it time? Because it seems you can't go a few days without a shooting.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
"You don't have to carry a gun, I totally understand wanting to a helpless victim. It's fine if you want to be a giant pussy who lets your family die in a hail of gunfire, its just not my thing."

Is this person normally this passive aggressive?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

china bot posted:

The only solution is to make Revolver Ocelot the ultimate symbol of American masculinity

Actually that would own and be great

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You'd think that by now we'd have heard of even just one where the gunman was stopped by a heroic concealed-carrier. It's not like there's a lack of opportunity.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

You'd think that by now we'd have heard of even just one where the gunman was stopped by a heroic concealed-carrier. It's not like there's a lack of opportunity.

But don't you see? It happens, but the media covers it up because

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I actually really like a clip I saw earlier (and can't seem to find again) where Obama's doing some sort of Q&A, and some guy who thinks he and Hilary are going to take his guns asks how we keep terrorists from getting them, and he responds super-candidly, basically saying "Congress and the NRA won't let us do any research on that, so for now, nothing."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

JGdmn posted:

"You don't have to carry a gun, I totally understand wanting to a helpless victim. It's fine if you want to be a giant pussy who lets your family die in a hail of gunfire, its just not my thing."

Is this person normally this passive aggressive?

Yes. Yesterday had a choice meme about threatening physical violence towards any woman that looked at HER MAN.

e:

e2: after going through her timeline (about 12 posts a day) I find out she's only been dating this guy for TEN DAYS. :stare:

Maker Of Shoes has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jun 14, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Northern Ireland mainly had water pistols and foam bats

https://twitter.com/karensmyidol/status/742029754665172992

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The good guy with a gun fallacy was hilariously disproven on a great segment from the Daily Show. Pretty much when the cops show up and see a person with a gun at the scene of a shooting they won't be asking "are you a good guy or a bad guy". Guess how that scenario ends.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Parasol Prophet posted:

"Under my shirt" reminds me of this video I stumbled upon yesterday, in which people went into a shooting simulation with guns under their shirts. The first guy in particular has a problem with that element of things. (At about 2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Also all of them get shot before pulling the trigger, so at least that part of the post seems pretty likely.

I can't watch the video with sound at work, but isn't that the really lovely test where they took completely random people with little to no firearms experience and tried to make them pretend to be gun owners? There's at least one other repeat of these tests out there where they used people who actually did own guns and practice with them and they almost all successfully "killed" the bad guy.

My Lovely Horse posted:

This one made the press, especially after Uber responded to his actions by banning drivers from carrying weapons.

It's not really that hard if you just Google it.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Jun 14, 2016

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Madkal posted:

The good guy with a gun fallacy was hilariously disproven on a great segment from the Daily Show. Pretty much when the cops show up and see a person with a gun at the scene of a shooting they won't be asking "are you a good guy or a bad guy". Guess how that scenario ends.

Oh yeah that was pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI4bUk4vuM&t=331s
Jordan Klepper gets clipped.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

SpacePig posted:

I actually really like a clip I saw earlier

actually it's a magazine

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

mng posted:

*easily avoidable tragedy happens*
"Now is not the time to talk about gun legislation"

So when the gently caress is it time? Because it seems you can't go a few days without a shooting.

A guy literally walked into a school and shot a bunch of 6 year olds and nothing changed. What makes you think there's anything left to talk about?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

EmmyOk posted:

Northern Ireland mainly had water pistols and foam bats

https://twitter.com/karensmyidol/status/742029754665172992

Northern Ireland was mostly bombings.

Even so, Omar Mateen killed four times as many people on Sunday night than the British Army did on Bloody Sunday. Basically,

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Vanellope posted:

A guy literally walked into a school and shot a bunch of 6 year olds and nothing changed. What makes you think there's anything left to talk about?

I still have hope

lol

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

"I have not researched a thing but here's the unresearched thing"

~ posts blitheringidiot dot jay peg

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Idiots on Social Media: Aloha Snack Bar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If it takes you nearly 7 minutes to reload 30 times, you're pretty lovely because that means you're spending 14 seconds to change magazines.

I'd guess that since he was firing in a crowded club, he was probably hitting multiple people per bullet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Or a lot of those not killed and injured were injured in some other way.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

If it takes you nearly 7 minutes to reload 30 times, you're pretty lovely because that means you're spending 14 seconds to change magazines.

I'd guess that since he was firing in a crowded club, he was probably hitting multiple people per bullet.

At least ten of those fourteen seconds are spent yelling "Aloha Snack Bar," two are used to swap cartridges, and the remaining two are for a quick mental count of how many bullet clips are left in his round magazines. Duh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

At least ten of those fourteen seconds are spent yelling "Aloha Snack Bar," two are used to swap cartridges, and the remaining two are for a quick mental count of how many bullet clips are left in his round magazines. Duh.

Pffft, that wouldn't take 14 seconds

Edit: I just did it a bunch times myself, took about 10 seconds on average to reload and shout "Aloha Snack Bar" and swap cartridges

Edit 2: oh poo poo I think my neighbours are calling the cops :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
mods name change to Aloha Snack Bar please

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Aloha Snack Bar, obviously named "72 Virgins"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ularg posted:

Aloha Snack Bar, obviously named "72 Virgins"

The bar is called the Aloha Snack Bar. The 72 Virgins is a drink consisting of every non-alcoholic mixer they have in one glass.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't watch the video with sound at work, but isn't that the really lovely test where they took completely random people with little to no firearms experience and tried to make them pretend to be gun owners? There's at least one other repeat of these tests out there where they used people who actually did own guns and practice with them and they almost all successfully "killed" the bad guy.

Oh, probably. The comment section isn't enamored with it, and I can see a few of their points. (It does kind of look like the "attacker" goes directly for the supposedly-secret person who's armed.) There's at least one guy there who is a gun owner and regularly practices at the range, and he does better. Still gets shot and everything, but better.

I only brought it up because of the shirt thing. But really, I don't know if "Hey, maybe most of the people who own guns actually take them seriously and have voluntarily learned how to own them safely" is a gamble I'm ever going to be happy about making, considering how many kids manage to accidentally shoot themselves and others with the unattended precious firearms of 'responsible gun owners'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh, probably. The comment section isn't enamored with it, and I can see a few of their points. (It does kind of look like the "attacker" goes directly for the supposedly-secret person who's armed.)

Yeah this is what happens.

That video and the "test" it shows are just as retarded as Grocery Store Defender fantasies it's supposed to combat. It's an obviously bunk experiment and nothing but an exercise in counter-idiocy.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well, whoops. I am the idiot on social media. v:shobon:v

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember that there was a similarly deceptive video done by the police a year or two ago (I think in the wake of the Michael Brown shooting) where they took a totally untrained journalist and put him in simulated scenarios to try and "prove" that the cops really do need to be on guard 24/7 around black people suspicious individuals and shoot to kill ASAP if they're threatened. All of the scenarios involved the journalist-cum-officer being told to just approach a suspicious situation with no equipment except his handgun and the Simmunition safety equipment, so that he would be forced to shoot any and every threat because he had no way to use a taser or pepper spray and was too physically unfit and untrained to try and use martial arts. Meanwhile, the actors playing criminals were supposed to just try and kill him immediately.

The end result is that the real police officer takes over after the journalist fails, at which point he ends every scenario by killing the people involved and thus "proving" that cops need to shoot as a first resort every time.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
If only there were real world examples to draw from. Say someone goes on a rampage with a gun, among a few concealed carriers. I assume as no one has ever gone on such a rampage, that they have all been stopped by heroic gun owners.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guns good. Mental health care bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I don't understand the point of this:

Is there some dick waving competition among mass shootings in America? Or is it that we apparently feel worse about the Orlando shooting than the Battle of Wounded Knee? Why can't we just feel bad about an event and not have people wonder why we aren't caring about some other poo poo.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

poptart_fairy posted:

but let us now return to gamergate and rape :)

Aren't you supposed to not talk about that or else you're banned? You specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Niggurath posted:

I don't understand the point of this:

Is there some dick waving competition among mass shootings in America? Or is it that we apparently feel worse about the Orlando shooting than the Battle of Wounded Knee? Why can't we just feel bad about an event and not have people wonder why we aren't caring about some other poo poo.

Oh cool, I saw that one in the wild as well. "Largest mass shooting in US history? DID YOU FORGET WOUNDED KNEE?"